Chapter One

Glaciation

Everyone always thinks they know what they’d do when faced with (the start of) the end of the world. Minseok? He went and took a nap. After all the talk about genetic modifications had hit the news three years previously, Minseok couldn’t really say that it was a surprise to him that the so-called hybrids had risen up against their human captors - although, to be quite fair, maybe they shouldn’t have blown up the White House. That got them a lot of bad press.

He watches the news anchor repeat the scrolling headline with a somber look, flickering frames of blurred footage showing fires, explosions and unexplainable events taking place worldwide in the background of the shot and snort. Seriously, you would have thought that the Very Important People in High Places would’ve seen this coming, but no, of course not. Humans like to pretend that they have no responsibility for the things that go wrong - especially when it is their fault. Like the hybrids attacking them wasn’t in response to years of torture and experimentation. 

It’s about when the news anchor is rehashing the need to stay indoors and stay safe that Minseok feels sleep calling him, so he switches off the TV and slouch through into his bedroom, collapses onto his unmade bed (oops, so that’s what he forgot to do in the morning) and proceeds to drift off into a much needed nap.