Tiny Yellow

Tiny Surprise

Irene wakes up to something feathery and yellow.

 

She tries not to scream and hurl the tiny thing out the nearest window when it nestles against her neck, a small chirp squeaking out of its small beak.

 

Lifting a hand to curl the ball of yellow into her palm, Irene is careful to observe it, squinting at how it rubs its cheek against her skin, another chirp leaving its mouth.

 

A baby chick.

 

She wakes up in bed with a baby chick.

 

The only chick she thought she'd ever wake up with would be Sooyoung.

 

“...Hi?”

 

Chirp.

 

Irene blinks at the quick response, as if it understood her.

 

“I don't like chicken.”

 

Chirp chirp.

 

“...Right,” Irene thinks that maybe she's still sleeping, a weird dream aiming to confuse her for reality, and settles back into her pillow. “Yeah, I think I'm just going to go back to sleep.”

 

Chirp, chirp, chirp!

 

Irene groans, shutting her eyes and letting go of the baby chick to cover her ears. She could feel its tiny feet travel up from her chest, wobbling back to nestle against her, as if to burrow a hole into her neck.

 

“You're clingy.”

 

Chirp.

 

Irene peeks to her side, considers that maybe, just maybe, she isn't dreaming, and attempts to find Sooyoung who should be sleeping next to her. But all she sees is a bundle of clothes she remembers Sooyoung to have worn last night, unkempt beside her. Maybe Sooyoung went out for an errand?

 

She can feel the baby chick rub against her neck, as if it were a walking cotton ball.

 

Sooyoung's always been associated as a baby chick with their friends...

 

...Nah, it can't be. She's thinking too much. 

 

Irene shuts her eyes, pretends there isn't a soft bundle of tiny yellow curled up against her, and attempts to sleep this all away. But when she feels the baby chick wiggle out from its resting spot, attempting to climb up her face, Irene groans.

 

“What's the matter now?

 

She's muttering, not bothering to swat it away, too lazy to lift a hand, until something pecks her bottom lip like the pointy end of a pencil. Irene yelps, nearly slapping the tiny animal, stopping as soon as she realizes that the poor thing would probably not be able to handle a physical blow from a human being.

 

“You're annoying.” Irene says, vaguely wondering why she's even bothering to talk to the baby chicken like it could understand.

 

Chirp.

 

“So you agree?”

 

Chirp chirp!

 

“Is that a no?”

 

Chirp!

 

Oddly enough, it felt like a genuine conversation had actually occurred.

 

...Maybe a good morning workout will snap her out of this.

 

Leaving the bed once she settles the tiny animal atop the blankets, Irene changes into more comfortable attire, tying her hair up. She takes brief glances at the mirror to check up on the baby chicken on her bed, just to find it staring right back at her.

 

“What?”

 

Chirp.

 

“Do you want to exercise?”

 

Chirp!

 

“But you're tiny.”

 

Chirp chirp!

 

Irene sighs, spinning around and thinking that yes, she's probably gone crazy if she thinks this is completely okay, and scoops up the tiny animal in her palm; but not without hesitating first. She has to admit though, as much as she doesn't like animals, it's a little cute.

 

She crouches to settle it on the floor, watching it patter around while she lays out her yoga mat. Stretches come instinctively, body already accustomed to her flexibility, while the baby chick stares up at her from the side.

 

Irene chuckles when she sees its wobbly attempt to balance on one leg, as if to mimic her.

 

 “You're doing pretty good.”

 

Chirp!

 

“How about some push-ups?”

 

Chirp!

 

Irene repositions herself, hands and feet sprawled out on the mat, back straight. She manages to go through a few of them until the baby chick moves from its spot beside her, pausing to be just below her face.

 

“What is it?”

 

Chirp.

 

Brows furrowing out of confusion and the lack of understanding, Irene attempts to do one more push-up, lowering herself carefully so as to not slam face-first into the fluff of yellow, pausing higher than she normally would.

 

Chirp chirp!

 

For some reason, Irene can tell it’s upset. Especially when it stomps a foot to the ground, its feathers for arms raising up as if indignant.

 

She tries to go a little lower, note how the animal no longer looks like its feathers have been ruffled. Irene pauses again, amused when the ball of yellow squeaks as if to whine.

 

Chirp chirp!

 

“Any lower and I'll end up squishing you with my face.”

 

Chirp chirp!

 

Irene doesn't budge, more entertained at watching it throw a tantrum, its feathers flapping in the air, feet hopping off the floor.

 

One jump that's higher than the rest startles Irene, paired with a peck on her bottom lip, before the fluff of yellow lands back on the ground, looking triumphant.

 

Did it just kiss her?

 

“…You know, you remind me of Sooyoung.” Irene says, watching the animal tilt its head. “Wants a lot of attention, throws tantrums, and whines until she gets what she wants.”

 

Laughter spills as the baby chicken chirps in response, feathers raising up again, stumbling on stomping feet. It almost trips over if not for her hand intercepting its fall.

 

Irene smiles when she feels it rub against her skin, before poking her finger with its tiny beak, as if anger still lines its body.

 

“You act like I complained about you and not Sooyoung,” she pauses, frowning when the animal stops to stare up at her, as if encouraging her to continue. “...Sooyoung?”

 

Chirp!

 

That sounded too happy to not be a “Yes.”

 

“You're saying you're Sooyoung?”

 

Chirp!

 

Suddenly Irene is convinced she's really still dreaming.

 

Because Sooyoung as a baby chick? Sure, Sooyoung's often been compared to one, but it doesn't mean she'd turn into one. That's like saying she'd turn into a bunny just because people tell her she looks like one.

 

Sitting up, looking down to scrutinize the baby chick still staring up at her, as if gauging her reaction, Irene frowns.

 

Has she gone crazy?

 

“I'm dreaming,” Irene says, standing up. “Yeah, I'm probably still dreaming.”

 

She pretends not to hear the sudden burst of chirping by her feet, opting to go back to bed, sleep this odd reality away – and for good.

 

Until she's yelping at a particularly hard poke to her toe, hopping on one leg to cradle her poor foot, glaring at the tiny ball of yellow still chirping away on the floor.

 

Chirp, chirp, chirp!

 

“You're violent.”

 

Chirp!

 

For a second, Irene considers kicking the tiny thing out of childish spite, but the thought is gone as fast as it comes, watching it skitter away towards the kitchen.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

Chirp!

 

Irene frowns, watching it struggle to climb up the kitchen chair, its feather-arms flapping in the air. As much as it tries to jump, it certainly can't fly.

 

Sighing, Irene lends it her hand, guiding it up until it chirps, signaling her to let it roam the surface of the table.

 

Irene will let this anomaly reality slide, only so that she could watch what this tiny chick plans to do with the bowl of fruits.

 

“You want an orange?” She asks once she spots the animal prodding the fruit with its beak. “Are you even allowed to eat this?”

 

Irene grabs it for her, peeling the skin off, until the baby chick saunters towards her hands, poking her finger.

 

It seems like it's instructing her, watching the way it moves its head from left to right, as if to lay something down.

 

Irene frowns. “Like this?”

 

She makes sure the peeled skin remains intact like a sheet of crumpled paper, spreading it flat, the soft inside facing up.

 

When the animal settles on top of the skin, silence claims Irene's lips as the baby chick begins poking holes across it as if to write.

 

Since when did animals know how to write?

 

“J...” Irene sounds out the letters being written, “...O...”

 

With the final curve, the baby chick stares up at her, looking smug.

 

“…Y.”

 

Chirp!

 

Irene blinks.

 

“'Joy?'“

 

It's a nickname Sooyoung had given herself long ago, as if to reflect her bubbly appearance and mask the elusive mischief hidden beneath.

 

Chirp!

 

Irene can't think of anything to say, not when the baby chick is walking towards her again, ushering her with its head to move lower.

 

When Irene obeys out of sheer shock of trying to absorb everything in, the ball of yellow pecks her bottom lip again.

 

Chirp!

 

Oh god.

 

“Sooyoung?!”

 

-

 

In hindsight, she should've known.

 

One, she doesn't own any pet. And out of all things, she wouldn't own a baby chicken. She especially wouldn't let it sleep in her bed.

 

Second, Sooyoung's as much of a neat-freak as her; she wouldn't leave her clothes in bed without folding them at least.

 

But what bothers her most is the fact that Sooyoung turned into a baby chick. Why would she turn into an animal? Did she get cursed?

 

“You know,” Irene starts, rubbing her finger against the animal's tiny head. “I kind of like you like this.”

 

Chirp.

 

Plus a tilt of its – her, head.

 

“'Why'?” Considering it's been two days since she's first found Sooyoung as a tiny ball of yellow, she's gotten accustomed to her gestures. “Because you're not a giant anymore.”

 

Irene chuckles at the baby chick's chest puffing out; she can easily imagine Sooyoung huffing at her right at this moment.

 

Curling her fingers around the animal, Irene scoops up yellow into her palm, rubbing her thumb across its tummy.

 

Irene smiles at the baby chick's soft chirp, visibly content, snuggling deeper into her hand.

 

“Because I can hold you like this.”

 

Chirp!

 

“It's too bad, though.” Irene says, pausing to rest her cheek against the surface of the kitchen's table. “I can't really kiss you anymore. At least, not like I used to.”

 

The baby chick is waddling out of her hand, crossing a short distance before its gentle feathers press against her nose. A soft chirp seeps into Irene's ears, knowing that somehow, Sooyoung's trying to cheer her up.

 

“How did you get like this anyway?”

 

Chirp.

 

“You don't know?”

 

Chirp.

 

“Same.”

 

As much as she adores having a baby chick accompany her (it's been fun having Sooyoung sit on her shoulder – who knew that would ever be possible), Irene would like to have her girlfriend back – and preferably as a human woman.

 

Research on humans turning into animals haven't been fruitful. Most were articles on human experiments and Irene would click the tab close as soon as she'd catch even a glimpse of tubes punctured anywhere in the body.

 

She knew Sooyoung didn't like looking at those either, considering how often the baby chick would attempt to scurry deeper against her neck, as if to make it hollow enough to bury itself there.

 

Weak chirps would worm its way into her ears and it'd be a sign to cuddle with the tiny bundle of yellow for the rest of the day. Sooyoung's always been more sensitive than she'd like to admit.

 

She could tell during the nights when they're huddled in bed that Sooyoung's missing her old body too. Irene can't feel the hug, but how the baby chick smothers itself against her cheek, she can feel Sooyoung crave for something closer.

 

So when they're in bed again, chuckling at Sooyoung's immediate motion to embrace her cheek, Irene reaches up to comb her finger against its head.

 

“I miss holding you, too.”

 

When Irene hears the small chirp in return, she makes sure she doesn't crush Sooyoung in her sleep, curling to her side and cradling the animal upwards so the baby chick snuggles against her forehead instead.

 

-

 

As soon as morning comes, Irene groans at a tight grip around her.

 

It's suffocating enough that she pulls away, eyes blearily blinking to find Sooyoung snuggling against her, beneath the blanket.

 

“…Sooyoung?”

 

Her voice is a mere whisper, still keenly aware of her girlfriend still in slumber. Irene’s gentle when she curls strands of ebony behind Sooyoung’s ear, attempt to finally see her face. She hasn’t realized how much she’s missed seeing Sooyoung as a human woman again until now, a pout coiling her girlfriend’s lips, nuzzling her as if seeking for more warmth.

 

The sight is a relief that swells in Irene's chest, the smile she feels lighting up along her face the moment she hears Sooyoung mutter “...Unnie…”

 

Holding Sooyoung closer, comfort working through her fingers at the touch of skin under her hands, Irene thinks back on her short adventure with the baby chick. It was fun while it lasted, but she’s glad Sooyoung's back.

 

Irene leans in to press her lips against pouting ones; grinning when she can feel Sooyoung’s mouth loosen to an instinctive smile.

 

After all, she can kiss her girlfriend properly again.

 

She knows Sooyoung won’t be able to hear her, but she greets her anyway.

 

“Good morning.”

 

Snuggling tighter, Irene shuts her eyes, waiting for sleep to fog over once more. As much as Irene would love to wake her up and hear how it was like being a tiny animal, she'll let Sooyoung sleep a little longer.

 

-

 

Joy wakes up to fluffy white.

 

It's soft and furry, and comfortable to touch. But as much as it was adorable, it certainly gave her a little scare when all she felt was something moving around her.

 

Suddenly she could understand exactly what her girlfriend had gone through.

 

She giggles when the white bunny nuzzles against her cheek, whiskers tickling her skin, bringing a hand up to smooth her palm over the small body of soft white.

 

“Joohyun unnie?”

 

The bunny is shifting, slipping out of her hand, before placing a light peck on her lips.

 

Joy giggles against the tender touch of a furry kiss.

 

“Good morning to you too, unnie.”

 

-

 

AN:

 

…Yeah, I don’t know what this is either; except that it’s purely crack and all I really wanted was to have a baby chick Sooyoung and a bunny Joohyun. So here it is. And no, I don’t know why they turned, either. So don’t think too much.