Final

When It Was Too Late

It had been twelve days, four hours and ten minutes since Daehyun broke up with Youngjae and Daehyun knew that he wasn't taking it well.

Daehyun yawned as he rubbed his eyes. He still had five more papers to mark but staying awake was starting to feel like a chore and he knew that if he marked the papers in that state, his students would complain about papers that were marked incorrectly.

He looked at the clock. 3:05 am. There was still four more hours before had to go to work and in his half asleep state, he knew he'd end up in the school's health room if he didn't sleep. Even though he knew that, he did not want to sleep.

Why? Because he was more than sure that he'd end up dreaming about Youngjae and that was the last thing he wanted right now. Yes, they had broken up but it still hurt.

Since last month, Youngjae had been spending odd hours outside. He only came home once a week and Daehyun had been worried. He tried asking Youngjae why but the younger wouldn't tell him the truth. He would always say that it was because of work.

However, Daehyun knew he wasn't. After spending so many years with the other, Daehyun had learned how to tell whether he was lying or not and every time he said he was at work, Daehyun could see that he was lying.

Youngjae refused to spend time with him together. He'd avoid dates and they hadn't had at all in the last month. During the few times that Youngjae came home, Daehyun would see guilt flash through the younger's eyes. Guilt for what, he didn't know.

It was on a lovely spring day that he'd found it out. The reason for everything. From spending nights outside to avoiding . He had finished work early and had gone to his apartment which he shared with Youngjae only to find Youngjae cheating on him with another man.

And in spite of everything, Youngjae had the nerve to just simply walk up to him and tell him it's over. To pack up leave and that he didn't love him anymore. And so they broke up, their eight year relationship had ended just like that.

Daehyun tried to forget Youngjae, he really did. He had even moved back to Busan to forget him but he failed to do so. It was as if a part of him had disappeared. The two had a perfect chemistry, they'd even been awarded the Best Couple Award four years in a row back in college.

Daehyun let out a deep sigh. He couldn't evade sleep any longer and so, he finally fell asleep. His head on his desk, his body curled up in an uncomfortable position. And unsurprisingly, dreams of Youngjae haunted his sleep.

Their last anniversary...

Youngjae's birthday...

Christmas...

New Year's Eve...

Spring break...

His own birthday...

The numerous dates they went on...

Every single memory was haunting him and without realising it, he was crying in his sleep, wondering why he hadn't been good enough for Youngjae.

~~~~~

Himchan prided himself in being a good friend. So when he found Daehyun asleep on his table, crying and calling out for Youngjae 4 am in the morning, he felt angry. Angry at Youngjae who had done this to Daehyun. Angry at Daehyun for still loving him. And most importantly, angry at himself for not being able to do anything.

Gently, he picked up Daehyun bridal style and laid him down on the bed. He felt so light and he had grown skinny. It only took one look for Himchan to know that Daehyun was underweight.

It was only natural. The younger had been skipping meals, saying that he didn't deserve to eat because he must have done something to make Youngjae cheat on him.

Quietly, Himchan sat on the bed, gently caressing Daehyun's tender skin, hoping to relieve the younger. If Himchan had to be honest, he had foreseen this situation the moment Daehyun had told him that Youngjae wasn't coming home.

But he had believed, no, he had wanted to believe that Youngjae wouldn't do that. That Daehyun wouldn't be hurt like that. One after one, the warning bells had been ringing in his head but he had ignored it. And he deeply regretted it now. If only...if only he'd told Daehyun, maybe things wouldn't have gone this far.

The day Daehyun came to him, crying with his belongings, he had wanted to beat up Youngjae. But Daehyun had stopped him and he had to do a lot not to go and kill him.

Himchan looked at the angelic face on the bed. Daehyun had long since stopped crying but silent tears were falling, dampening the soft pillows underneath him. "Jae..." He whispered and Himchan had enough. Standing up, he quickly dialled Junhong, his younger brother, telling him to come to the house to take care of Daehyun and to make sure not to let him go to work the next day.

As soon as Junhong reached the house, Himchan ran out heading to Youngjae's place. He didn't bother to knock as he banged down the door, entering the house in which Daehyun had once lived.

"Are you crazy? What are you doing here? It's barely 5 am in the morning!" Youngjae yelled, waking up from the sudden commotion.

"Why?" Himchan asked, his voice was barely above a whisper but it was threatening, to say the least.

"Why what?" Youngjae asked, annoyed.

Himchan stared at him. "Why did you break up with Daehyun?"

It was only then that Youngjae figured out where the conversation was headed. He smirked.

"He didn't satisfy me anymore. I found someone better."

"Brat! Was he just someone to satisfy you when you're ?"

"Duh! Obviously."

"All those years meant nothing to you?" Himchan was beyond frustrated.

Youngjae had a cocky smile plastered on his face. "As a matter of fact, yes."

Angry and frustrated, Himchan punched Youngjae. Youngjae punched him back and this led to a full on fight. After a lot more blows and bruises, Himchan finally one. He wanted to kill him but Daehyun wouldn't be too pleased so Himchan just settled for leaving Youngjae on the floor, battered and bruised.

When he had gone back to Daehyun's apartment, Daehyun was awake and was playing a game with Junhong. The both of them gasped when they saw Himchan enter the house, black and blue bruises all over his body.

"Himchan! What did you do?" Daehyun yelled, grabbing the first aid kit from the kitchen and starting to treat the wounds.

"I kind of got into a fight with a few thugs. No big deal." Himchan smiled. Daehyun only shook his head in disbelief as he and Junhong continued to treat the wounds.

~~~~~

"What do you mean I will die if I don't get a heart donor in three days?" Youngjae yelled at the doctor.

"I'm sorry, but your heart is really weak. If we don't get a compatible donor soon, and by soon I mean three days, then it is more than likely that you'll die." The doctor's bluntness caught Youngjae by surprise.

He couldn't believe it. He'd only come to the doctor because he was having severe pain in his chest, he did not come there to be told that he was to die.

The next two days were a blur to Youngjae. All he did was eat and sleep. While he did pray, he had no hope of getting a donor in time. It was a surprise, a huge surprise, when the hospital called, saying that they finally got a donor and to get there for the operation.

Youngjae was lucky. The operation was a success. He couldn't have been happier. It was the day after the operation, when he was resting that he saw a name he hadn't seen in a long time flash on his phone. Kim Himchan. Wondering what Himchan wanted, he picked up the phone.

"Hello?" Youngjae greeted.

"Uhh, hi...I just called to tell you that...well...Daehyun...he passed away." Himchan stuttered out.

Youngjae's eyes widened in surprise but he felt nothing about the news.

"He's...dead?" Youngjae asked, trying to confirm it.

"Yes," A few sobs were heard on the other line and Youngjae immediately knew that Himchan was crying. "Will you...be coming to the...to the funeral?" Himchan asked.

"No," Youngjae casually replied. "He's no longer my boyfriend, I don't care whether he's alive or dead."

"Yah! Yoo Youngjae!" Himchan yelled.

"What?" Youngjae asked as rudely as possible.

"After all he did for you? Are you seriously that stupid?" Himchan was yelling and crying.

"What did he do for me?" Youngjae asked and Himchan went quiet. Not even a sob was heard from the other end of the line.

"Youngjae, do you know who your donor was?" Himchan's voice was dangerously low.

"It was anonymous, why?" Youngjae asked.

"Daehyun...it was Jung Daehyun!" Himchan yelled again.

Realisation dawned upon Youngjae. "Wha- No- How?" He couldn't even complete a sentence.

"Are you really that idiotic? Daehyun loved you, okay? Your doctor was a friend of his and he heard from him that you were about to die so he donated his own heart...for you. I told him not to. I told him that you weren't worth it. That a bastard like you deserved it. But no! He didn't listen to me and now he is dead!"

Himchan took a deep breath before continuing. "So you better get your over here and pray for the person who gave his life to you got it?" Himchan said before he hung up.

Youngjae stood still. The phone had dropped to the ground. Thoughts were spinning around his head. Daehyun had given up his life for him. Why wasn't he nicer to Daehyun? Why did he treat Daehyun like that?

Youngjae wishes he could turn back time and apologise to Daehyun but it was too late. Daehyun was gone.