I'll Keep You Safe (Stay With Me)

I'll Keep You Safe (Stay With Me)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~A/N: Requested by my friend

Hak sighed for the umpteenth time that day, he had been wandering the cold and dreary streets trying to find a job with no luck. He looked up the smog filled sky wondering when his luck would change if it would ever change. His mind clouded with thoughts on where it all went wrong. He often contemplated dying, after all his life wasn’t worth much to him anymore. He had nothing to live for, no one cared about him, he’d been on his own for quite a while now and it could get rather lonely. As his mind wandered about he suddenly bumped into someone who knocked him to the ground. He cursed as he fell to the ground and hurt his back. Quickly he sat up and glared at the person he’d bumped into only to see they too, had fallen to the ground. What surprised him more was that it was a small red haired girl. How in the world had she managed to knock him down? She was literally tiny compared to him. The girl sat up groaning and rubbing the side of her head before getting up quickly and reaching out to help him up. Hak accepted the help, slightly in a daze.

“I’m so sorry! I was not aware of where I was headed!” The girl spoke up bowing to him slightly in apology. Hak just stared at her but then quickly got his bearings.

“Yeah, that’s obvious, you should watch where you’re going stupid.” He muttered to her, though he knew he was partly to blame for the situation as well. The girl looked up at him, a frown decorating her pale features. Hak took the time to really study her, he’d only paid attention to her face at first, but now he noticed the small amount of grime and dirt that clung to her thin white shirt and dark blue jeans. She wore a black jacket that was much too big for her slender frame. Her tennis shoes were slightly worn as if she’d been walking in them all day. Her short red hair was somewhat greasy and unkempt. To be perfectly honest, she looked a lot like him. Like she was living on the streets. But Hak didn’t think that was possible for some reason. She had an air around her, an air that deemed her important, someone too good for the streets, made her seem somewhat like royalty. But that too was absurd, there was no way someone with an air of importance would be dressed like that.

“Who are you?” He finally asked after a rather long silence where they’d both analyzed each other. The girl didn’t answer at first as her eyes continued to take in his appearance. Hak was well aware he didn’t look good. His hair hadn’t been washed in weeks, his clothes, consisting of loose gray jeans and a black shirt with a blue hoodie, were covered in soot and he probably smelled like smoke seeing as he’d slept in a building that had burned down a few days ago. While it probably wasn’t the best place to sleep, it was abandoned and it didn’t seem like there was going to be any attempts to fix it anytime soon. Plus, it was way safer than many of the other places he knew of.

“My name’s Yona, and you are?” The girl finally spoke, raising an eyebrow in question.

“Hak.” He replied simply.

“Hmm…” Yona hummed still observing him.

“Would you quit staring at me so critically?” Hak gritted out, annoyed at this point.

“Critically?” She asked once again raising an eyebrow. “Why do you think I’m being critical? It doesn’t seem I have much right to do such a thing, seeing as we’re probably in similar predicaments.” She continued and finally looked away.

“You talk weird,” Hak said, thinking her speech was odd. Yona glanced at him once more and shrugged before walking away back in the direction she’d presumably come from. Hak didn’t know why but he had a strange feeling that he should follow her and make sure she was going to be ok, which was weird since he didn’t even know if he’d be ok these days.

“Wait! Where are you headed.” Hak called out to her, catching up to her quickly. She didn’t stop walking but glanced at him quizzingly before turning her attention back to the path in front of her.

“I don’t see why that should matter? Much less why I should tell you? I barely met you a few minutes ago.” Yona answered picking up her pace. Hak continued to follow not faltering one bit.

“I’m just asking. You don’t look like you belong on the streets. So I’m just wondering what you’re doing here.” Hak started trying to figure out where she was headed. As far as he knew the direction they were going led to a park that would most likely be empty this time of day since it was already turning night.

“I do not understand why you should care about such things. I did not ask you anything, so I would appreciate you do the same, and leave me be.” Yona replied stopping to glare at him. Hak immediately stopped in front of her and looked at her. He really didn’t know why he cared either, he just had this gut feeling that she was in danger or something and he wanted to protect her, weird as that might sound.

“Hey I’m not pushing you for answers, I’m just saying it’s weird. You look like you’ve been on the streets for a while but at the same time, you don’t. And you talk funny, like what I’d imagine rich people talk like, so why would you be here if you are rich?” Hak asked bluntly. Yona scoffed, seemingly offended.

“What right do you have to judge my way of speaking? And why would you automatically assume I’m rich just by the way I am talking? Can a common girl not have a polite form of speech?” Yona said through gritted teeth.

“No, that is not how anyone on the streets speaks, even if you are new to the streets you wouldn’t be talking like that. You aren’t a common girl at all, are you?”

“So what if I’m not? Need I remind you, you just met me. You know nothing of me, and I would very much like to keep it that way. So please excuse me. Stop following me.” Yona said forcefully and then began running away still in the direction of the park. Hak was surprised that she’d suddenly decided to run but was quick to catch up and stop her. He grabbed her arm pulling her to a stop.

“Let go! Why do you insist on bothering me?!” She screamed and thrashed in his grip becoming very annoyed at him and slightly worried he was some kind of creep who’d harm her.

“Wow calm down! I won’t hurt you! I just want to make sure you will be alright!” Hak said recognizing the slight fear in her eyes. The worry didn’t leave her eyes but she stopped struggling.

“Why do you care so much?” she asked haughtily.

“I...I’m not sure...to be honest. But anyway, the streets are a rough place to be and you look kinda new to them. So I just want to give you some advice. Whatever it is that caused you to run away from home, it’s not worth staying on the streets for. You should go back to wherever you came from, kid. Trust me, the streets are no place for a little girl like you.” Hak said thinking about some rather unfortunate events that occurred only a few m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter