XxX

Where You At

JR laid in bed hoping that he would have another vision that has haunted him for weeks. Every night for the past two months he had been seeing a woman in his dreams. She was always just out of reach and had her face covered so, he couldn’t see her and that fact alone ate away his heart. A tugging in his heart told him that she was more important than he could understand in his dream-like state. There was no way he could dream of the same person every night and not have a connection to them, no matter the outcome of the dream, which was usually a violent end.

 

Tonight, he was determined to figure out who she was or at least why she kept visiting him and tormenting him so much. With a burning determination JR popped two melatonin into his mouth and let the pills dissolve under his tongue. Within fifteen minutes he felt the fatigue pull his eyelids close and he felt the atmosphere of his room change. When he could, he opened his eyes and the world around him was painted with purple light. His bed was gone and he was laying on a wooden surface with the ceiling eighteen feet above him.

 

JR sat up and realized he was sitting in a church pew and the reason everything was oddly coloured was because of the light streaming into the stained-glass windows that covered the church walls. He stood up and walked to the front of the church where a single candle was burning beside an opened bible and a half empty golden cup and with a single sniff of the substance JR could tell that it was wine. He thought maybe the bible would give him a hint but all of the pages were scribbled over with black market. Frustrated, he flipped through the whole book and every page was scratched out like the last. He wanted to throw the bible across the room but with it tightly clenched in his hand he realized he couldn't bring himself to disrespect another person's religion no matter the circumstance. So, he placed the bible back down in its spot and as he did a butterfly landed on the table beside his hand. As soon as he noticed it though it took off flying and JR's eyes followed it down the aisle towards a large wooden door with white light breaching through the cracks.

 

"Follow me." A voice echoed through the church and JR instant recognized the voice as the woman whom he was trying to find. The doors opened a bit and the white light pierced through the dark purple church. JR took off running after the butterfly that slipped through the door into the unknown. Once he reached the door he whipped them open and was assaulted by the bright light that hurt his eyes. Slowly the light dimmed down and JR could comfortably open his eyes and saw that he was staring off into a grassy field with the crisp wind rushing against his back.

 

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, the fresh air making him feel refreshed compared to the dark and claustrophobic church. "Help me." The echoing voice called out to him again, only a little more panicked than before causing JR to spin around to the voice. He almost expected to be facing the church again but it had disappeared and in its place, was a large cliff side which dropped off to the light waters that seemingly went on forever. Standing on the cliffs edge was a woman wearing a wedding dress with a veil pulled down over her face. It was her. JR walked towards her cautiously as he knew there was no where she could run and hide like in his other dreams. Perhaps she was tired of running just like he was tired of chasing. He almost expected the bride to jump but she turned to face him head on. After months he was finally going to see her face. JR's heart was racing as he reached her and he almost didn't know what to do with himself. They stood only inches from each other and JR could see the silhouette of her face through the veil but her features were blurry.

 

"JR help me." The voice called out again but JR said that the woman's mouth never moved but her eyes locked onto him, he could feel them burning into his skin and it caused an intense heat of embarrassment to crawl up his neck. No woman has ever looked at him as sensually as she did. He reached out to take off her veil and his fingertips touched the edge of the fabric but her hand shot out and grabbed his wrist. Shocked by her fast movements and tight grip, JR was easily thrown off balance and the bride tossed him off the edge of the cliff. He felt the ground beneath his feet vanish as he plunged off the edge of the cliff. Screaming for his life JR plunged into the icy waters below and as if weighted were tied to him he was dragged to the sea floor.

 

His lungs burned as he tried to hold his breath for as long as possible. No matter how much he struggled to try and swim to the top, her stayed weighted to the sandy floor. Eventually he grew too weak and closed his eyes and his mouth opened. He was expecting water to enter his lungs and to drown in his dream but as soon as his mouth opened the water was all gone and the dark sea floor was replaced with a hard floor with a dim light flickering a few feet away from him.

JR opened his eyes and saw that he was in a dark hallway with a purple light turning on and off every few seconds. He pat himself down and he wasn't damp in the least bit despite almost just drowning a few seconds ago. JR looked towards the light and saw a metal door underneath it and on that door was a large butterfly sticker. For a moment he felt exhausted and so badly he wanted to lay on the floor and fall asleep which would wake him back up in the real world but the light and curiosity was driving him nuts and he begrudgingly stood up and walked towards the door. He twisted the door knob and he was greeted by a metal staircase leading him outside where he heard the wind violently blowing around. As he ascended the staircase rain drops began lightly falling at first but by the time he reached the top it was a full-on storm that was so hard to stand against that JR thought it was going to swipe him right off of the building rooftop that he was on.

 

He looked around Seoul as the stormed rage on around him. Flags threatened to tear. Car alarms went off in the distance. The storm quickly turned from slightly scary to terrifying as an incredible monsoon shook the city. JR knelt to the ground to try and brace himself against the storm. He could barely see his own hand in front of his face so when the bride showed up inches from his face, drenched by the storm he let out a little yelp of surprise.

 

"Who are you?" He tried to scream through the storm but his words fell on deaf ears as the bride grabbed on of his hands and held it in her own.

 

"Wake me up." The voice was so clear through the storm and he baffled JR who couldn't bring his eyes away from her even though it felt like the world was falling apart around him. Suddenly the bride flipped JR's hand over so his palm was facing the sky and she dragged a sharp of glass. She cut him so deeply a dark line of crimson instantly appeared on his hand and JR cried out in pain. "WAKE ME UP." The voice screamed and with that JR's eyes flew open and he was laying in his bed with the morning light filling his room. Pain burned up his arm as JR looked over to his hand and saw that same deep cut from the dream was still on his hand. JR fumbled out of bed, smearing his own blood over his sheets as he fell to the ground. His younger brother Ren must have heard all of the noise as he trudged over to JR's room and opened the door still rubbing the sleep from his eyes and not fully noticing JR freaking out on the floor.

 

"Hyung shut up. It was just another nightmare." Ren's gravelly voice was soon overlapped by JR's panicked cries for help. Ren's eyes flew opened when he saw the blood gushing out of JR's hand. "WHAT DID YOU DO?" Ren cried as he dove to his brother with tears in his eyes trying to understand how this could have happened.

 

"She's real! The girl is real!" JR's babbling about the woman was largely ignored by Ren who grabbed the pillow case from his bed and tried to tightly wrap it around the injury, he had seen something similar on a medical drama he was currently obsessed with.

 

"I'm calling an ambulance." Ren jumped to his feet and went to exit the room but his older brother called out his name and he paused and looked back at the older boy who was turning pale from blood loss but had a big smile on his face.

 

"She's real Ren. She's waiting for me to find her." Although he had lost a lot of blood his conviction on the matter shook Ren to the core as he looked at his brother struggling on the ground. He couldn't say anything else and ran to his phone and called for an ambulance. After the call he hesitated going back to JR's room as he stood in the hallway listening to his brother laugh out of victoy for figuring out his dream. Ren pulled out his cellphone and sent a message to a number he had never written down but was forced to memorize his whole life.

 

To: *** - *** - ****
From: Ren
JR figured it out.

 

After the message was sent Ren went back into the room and helped JR to his feet but his brother was so weak from blood loss the younger brother basically had to drag him towards the front door as there as a knock on the door. Ren helped JR lean against the wall as he answered the door and in walked two medics who brought JR out of the house and towards the ambulance. Ren grabbed both of their jackets and rushed to join them in the ambulance. He sat in the back as the medics went about cleaning the wound and expressing concern over just how deep the wound was. Ren's phone buzzed in his pocket and he pulled it out to see he had a response.

 

To: Ren
From *** -*** - ****
He can never find her. Take him out.