final

Sweet Treat

As Minseok finishes the final touches, he stands back to admire his handiwork. His three year old son is decked out in white and gray robes, complete with Yoda ears extending from his head. His face is expertly covered in green paint, and Minseok thinks he looks absolutely adorable.

Meanwhile, Minseok himself is dressed in Jedi robes, complete with a green lightsaber.

Halloween is one of Minseok’s favorite times of the year. He loves every horror movie that comes on the television, he loves carving pumpkins into scary faces, and he loves decorating his home with various spooky things.

However, this year, his son Jongin is not having it. He cries every time he sees a skeleton on TV, he hides whenever the air conditioner turns on loudly. Hell, he practically shat himself when Minseok was folding a white bedsheet, thinking there was a ghost in the house.

The thought of his son not enjoying Halloween disheartens him, but then again it’s kind of his fault for thinking Jongin was old enough to enjoy a marathon of Friday the 13th movies.

Ok, completely his fault.

Minseok just hopes he hasn’t scarred his son for life, even though judging by the way Jongin peers out the front window to look at the other houses, he probably has.

“Jongin, are you ready to go trick-or-treating?” he asks as the little boy turns around slowly with wide eyes.

Jongin simply shakes his head, the Yoda ears bouncing back and forth lightly.

“C’mon, don’t you want all the free candy?” he bribes his son.

He can see the gears turning in Jongin’s head as the boy contemplates the tempting offer.

“I want Kit Kat!” Jongin says enthusiastically, running to his dad and latching onto his legs.

Minseok laughs, taking him by the hand and getting ready to head out. However, as soon as they step outside, he hears Jongin whine under his breath.

There are groups of kids in their costumes, some dressed as superheroes and princesses, and others dressed as ghouls and scary monsters that have definitely attracted Jongin’s attention. Some of the parents have also dressed up, vampires with fake blood and clowns with large, sharp teeth.

He feels Jongin beginning to tug his hand out from his, the little boy freezing in his spot as one of the parents turn to greet Minseok, a gaunt skeleton mask on full display.

“Come join us, guys!” Joonmyun, their neighbor calls, motioning them with his skeletal arm that Jongin definitely does not like.

“In a second,” Minseok responds back, before crouching down to face his trembling son.

There are tears threatening to spill down Jongin’s chubby, green cheeks, and Minseok gathers the little boy into his arms.

“It’s Uncle Joonmyun, baby,” he coos, rubbing Jongin’s back gently. “It’s all fake. They’re wearing costumes just like you are!”

Minseok wonders how much his son understands, but he nods his head anyway. He picks up Jongin piggyback style, smiling at how it parallels the scene in the Star Wars movie exactly.

“Let’s go get candy!” he cheers, hopping in place excitedly until Jongin bursts out into giggles, and then they’re off to collect the treats.

Minseok makes sure to avoid houses that are decorated a bit too extreme in order to keep Jongin’s good mood. He loves the way Jongin holds out his little pillowcase—the pumpkin basket was too scary for him—and squeals whenever their neighbors drop handfuls of chocolate and lollipops into it.

“What do you say?” he asks every time Jongin finishes jumping up and down from excitement.

“Thank you,” Jongin replies, sending the neighbor a bright smile before he’s hopping down the steps and onto the next house.

Not too long after, Minseok’s carrying the pillowcase full of goodies since it’s gotten too heavy for the little Yoda. They’re making their way back home when Minseok’s eyes land on a particular house only two doors down from theirs. He contemplates whether to approach it for candy or to let Jongin make it home safe and sound without scarring him further.

The front yard doesn’t look so bad, just a little webbing scattered over the trees and bushes accompanied by a gigantic inflatable spider—but that’s it. No scary mummies popping out from fake caskets, no blood splattered over windows to scare the children away. He’s been wanting to stop by the house ever since they first set out trick-or-treating. He had only avoided it at first because Jongin was still apprehensive about the whole thing.

However, his son seems to be in a better mood so he decides it can’t hurt making one last stop before they reach home.

They approach the front yard and immediately he can feel Jongin tensing up beside him, his small fist curling in his grip.

Daddy…” he whines lowly, latching onto Minseok’s pants.

“It’s a balloon, Jongin,” Minseok assures him, reaching his hand out to squeeze the giant spider.

When they get no reaction from the scary spider, Jongin relaxes a little but still maintaining his death grip. They make it to the front door without Jongin peeing his pants, and Minseok does a mental fist pump in the air.

He knocks on the door, both father and son yelling out “Trick-or-Treat!” in unison as they wait.

Minseok feels his heart flip as their neighbor, Lu Han, opens the door with a wide smile.

“Happy Halloween!” he says, dropping a load of candy into their already full bag.

Lu Han stands back to admire their matching costumes. “Yoda and Luke Skywalker, huh?” he says, grinning when Minseok blushes a little. “Wasn’t expecting something so toned down from you, Minseok.”

Minseok chuckles in response. “Jongin would never come near me if I wore what I had originally planned. What about you? Where’s your Pennywise costume you were raving about?”

At that, Lu Han flushes as well. “Chen came down with a cold so I’ve been nursing him all day.”

“Oh! I’m sorry to hear that. Is he doing better now?”

“Yeah, he finally ate something and then fell asleep. I’ve just been watching TV all day—had to get my Halloween fix in somehow.”

They both share a small laugh at that. Minseok knows that they should get going now, but he continues to loiter as Lu Han praises Jongin on his cute costume. He watches with a goofy smile as Lu Han tugs on the now drooping Yoda ears, and Jongin tries to swat his hands away.

It’s starting to get dark now and Minseok glances at his house, knowing they should really head back—

“Hey Minseok, do you…um, want to come in? The Scream series marathon just started and I know how much you like those movies,” Lu Han asks, rubbing the back of his neck shyly.  

Minseok whips around and stares at Lu Han. “Sure!” he says immediately but then thinks about it twice. “Or maybe some other time. I don’t want to disturb Chen—”

“He’s knocked out so it’s no bother,” Lu Han assures.

“I have to get back home and cook dinner for Jongin.”

“There’s plenty of leftovers here. I have a habit of always cooking too much.”

Minseok ponders on the offer even though he already knows the answer. “Are you sure?”

Lu Han sends him a small smile. “I would love your company.”

Minseok smiles in return, grabbing Jongin’s hand and entering the other male’s house.

“Do you mind if I use your bathroom to clean his face?” Minseok asks, and Lu Han directs them to the guest bathroom.

“I’ll warm up some food for you guys,” he calls before going to the kitchen.

The three meet in the living room after, Minseok with a clean Jongin in his arms and Lu Han with hot food ready to eat.

“You weren’t kidding,” Minseok says as he takes a seat on the sofa, eyeballing the various dishes Lu Han has set out for them.

“Chen reprimands me all the time,” Lu Han laughs, portioning some food out onto plates and handing one to Minseok. “I cook too much food for only two people.”

“More like one and a half,” Minseok comments. “How old is Chen again? Five?”

“Just turned six last month.”

“They grow up so fast.”

“They really do.”

“Daddy, I’m hungry,” Jongin cuts in, and the two adults laugh as Minseok begins feeding Jongin, who remains cuddled in his arms.

Lu Han flips the channel to something a little more kid friendly when a particularly scary scene pops up. Thankfully, Jongin is busy eating his dinner to pay attention.

“So, I kind of let Jongin watch Freddy vs. Jason with me…” Minseok starts.

“What?!” Lu Han’s eyes almost bulge out and Minseok bursts out laughing at that.

“It’s Halloween and I wanted my son to experience it!”

“How come the Mickey Mouse Halloween special was not an option? You jumped straight to serial killers,” Lu Han says in disbelief. “How did he take it?”

“He’s scared less,” Minseok whispers the last word so Jongin doesn’t hear it.

They both look at the toddler who’s now draped over Minseok’s front, legs on both sides as he snuggles into his father’s neck, ready to doze off.

“Well, no duh,” Lu Han rolls his eyes as he flicks Minseok on the forehead before turning to face the TV screen.

“You have no room to judge. You took Chen on a roller coaster and now he’s scared of riding in the car too fast.”

Lu Han is silent for a moment as he flips the channel back to the scary movie marathon.

Touché,” he says under his breath and Minseok’s grin threatens to split his lips.

They watch the movie on mute, since they don’t want to wake Jongin up with the loud screams of people being murdered. Minseok finds himself quite enjoying their silent marathon, the two erupting into hushed giggles during a scene that’s supposed to be scary, but without the creepy soundtrack just looks comical.

Eventually, Minseok feels his eyes shutting, his head feeling heavy with sleep as he finds a comfortable spot to rest his head. He doesn’t register the pressure on top of his head, instead choosing to let his eyes close and follow his three year old into dreamland.

 

 

When he awakens a few hours later, it’s the dead of night but the television is still running the newest Scream movie.

Minseok lets his eyes adjust to the bright screen before adjusting in his position. Jongin is still passed out on top of him; his own neck feels stiff as he tries to move it, realizing he slept on Lu Han’s shoulder. As he moves to sit up straight, he ends up knocking his head into Lu Han’s, who probably used him as a head rest too.

“Sorry,” Minseok whispers, looking as Lu Han sleepily rubs at where Minseok hit him. He looks like a little kid and Minseok can’t help but reach up and fix his messy hair.

Halfway through realizing what he’s doing, he pauses, their gazes locking as they find themselves unbelievably close. Minseok watches as Lu Han’s eyes drop down to his lips, and he feels his heart skip several beats.

He makes the first move, leaning in as if it were slow motion. He takes in the other male’s scent, a hint of something crisp and magnetic that pulls Minseok in ever so slowly. Their mouths are a hairline breadth away and Minseok closes his eyes, leaning in further—

Dad!”

Chen’s voice from upstairs cuts through, and the two males pull apart.

Minseok looks to Lu Han, who’s his red lips and not moving a muscle as Chen calls again.

“Your son needs you,” Minseok says first, breaking through their little bubble and suddenly they’re both beaming, a blush settling on both of their cheeks as Lu Han moves to stand up.

He walks toward the stairs, stops, and then walks back to Minseok. He leans down and presses the softest of kisses to his cheek. “I’ll be right back,” he says with a bashful smile before heading up to check on his son.

Minseok can only nod in response, stomach and heart taking turns flipping uncontrollably. He waits until Lu Han disappears up the stairs before burying his face in Jongin’s hair and letting out an unmanly squeal.

Jongin abruptly awakens at the noise, looking around in a daze until he faces the television. By that time, it’s too late for Minseok to stop what pops up next on the screen, a horrifyingly ugly skeleton masked person chasing a girl with a knife—

Within seconds, Minseok feels his robes become drenched in something warm. He closes his eyes and prays to the lord that it isn’t what he thinks it is. Yet, when Jongin lets out a sniffle and burrows into his neck, he dejectedly accepts the consequences of subjecting his poor three year old to yet another scary movie moment.

“Happy Halloween,” Minseok murmurs with a defeated smile, inwardly dying at the feeling of Jongin’s pee now soaking through and touching his skin. However, he can’t bring himself to feel too down when he hears Lu Han’s voice upstairs talking to his son.

The butterflies come back full force, and Minseok decides that even though Jongin’s probably going to sleep with a night light until he’s forty, and his leg is soaked with urine, this is definitely his best Halloween yet.

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
a/n - happy halloween guys! :3 i hope this short fluff will brighten your day even a little!