(1/2)

golden clouds

Once upon a time, there was a Bunny «scratch that» a Rabbit King who was strong, brave, intelligent, definitely not wobbly, and also pretty good looking. His kingdom, the brightest and also the healthiest of them all, loved, praised and respected him through all the seasons. Their biggest festivity, Easter, was commanded by only him, with such solemnity and discipline no one in the realm could ask for a better leader.

That is exactly the picture of himself which Junmyeon wants to be shaped in the books.

Much to his dismay, there is another version of the story spread around his own subjects. They «and may God forgive them» call him a coward, weak, a softy, too good, not gifted as a natural King, not this, not that, not, in any way, similar to his father.

His father, the current King, has been in charge of Easter for too long ―longer than he apparently remembers and long enough for everyone to look down at Junmyeon’s gentler ways.

“It’s time for you to prove yourself,” he had said as Junmyeon tried to remember how many generations before him had to prove themselves. They only needed to have a crown above their heads and suddenly everyone else was following their lead.

But Junmyeon, he has to prove himself right when the big event is barely four months away, in perhaps the worst Easter conditions in many years.

Lack of eggs, his brothers had informed him ―the beginning of a disaster.

Before each beginning of Spring, the gates of the castle open for an egg hunt ―in which kits roam around the gardens searching for decorated chocolate eggs. Meanwhile, the adults gather to receive a small golden egg per family. At the end of the festival, the kit with more eggs and the family with the lucky chosen number in their egg, are awarded a wish.

After the wishes are granted, Spring can begin.

Without the eggs, the festivity can’t be the same.

Thus, after a poor meeting with his council, an unlucky talk with his brothers, and the self-oath to keep every bad panorama away from his father, Junmyeon meets with the only other people he can trust.

“What am I supposed to do? Any advice?” Junmyeon asks at the end of the table in the council chamber. He tries to hide his despair under the pitter-patter of his fingers.

The embodiment of Spring itself, Sehun, shrugs as he keeps coloring the small flowers in his hands with different hues. Each spring, he likes to create new ones with different forms, colors, and perfumes. He loves to show them off proudly, as the crown of blue flowers over his head indicates.

Usually, Junmyeon would praise them ―and perhaps banter with Sehun using his original, hilarious humor― but this time, he waits in silence until the latter speaks.

“Perhaps gather more chickens?”

“We can’t afford it. Besides, Easter chickens don’t fall from trees… not that regular ones would.”

“What did your council tell you?”

“They won’t move a finger until I say so and share my solution.” Unluckily, there is none yet. “Are you sure there is nothing you can do? It is your season, after all.”

Sehun shakes his head with an almost believable, apologetic gesture. As minutes pass by in hefty silence, Junmyeon can feel his hopes falling to the ground.

“I am going down as the less respectable King in the history of Easter, am I not?”

“By no means,” Sehun places a hand over Junmyeon’s to give him a small caress. “You will do excellent, I believe in you.”

Then, he smiles sweetly and encouraging, making Junmyeon imitate the gesture. Sehun has that effect on him, in which his cheeks redden without effort and his heart fills with warmth, feeling welcomed.

“Are you blushing?”

Junmyeon takes away his hand and straightens his back at the remark. “Kings don’t blush.”

“You just did. Besides, you are still a Prince.” Sehun also has the nimble skill to sink his ego in the blink of an eye. “What were your father’s commands?”

“He is unaware of the situation,” The look of reproach on Sehun is evident, thus he adds, “I’m not going to fail him nor worry him. This is an issue between you, the council, my brothers and me."

"Good morning," Baekhyun, the embodiment of Summer, enters the room, filling it with his sharp chirp.

"And him."

When Baekhyun takes a seat next to Sehun and places a small kiss on his forehead, the latter whines in annoyance, moving slightly to the opposite side.

Unbothered, Baekhyun smiles blindingly towards Junmyeon.

“My apologies for being late, but I believe I have your solution.” Junmyeon raises a curious eyebrow and leans slightly over the table to listen. From the corner of his eye, he can see Sehun doing the same. “The golden goose.”

“Who?”

“The golden goose is a myth,” Sehun says returning his attention to his flowers without a second consideration.

“He isn’t and the tales are true, the golden goose can lay enormous eggs that can be melted to make smaller ones. With a few of his, you should be good for Easter.”

“Where is it?” Junmyeon asks with a hint of hope rising in his heart.

He, Junmyeon. The goose is a he.”

“How can you differentiate between a female goose and a male goose?” Sehun asks with a bored but defiant expression. “No, how can a male goose lay eggs?”

“Don’t be a fool,” Baekhyun exclaims, but before he can answer, Junmyeon is already standing with slight desperation.

“Where is he?”

“He lives with a giant above a cloud. That man from the beanstalk took him from the kingdom two winters ago.”

“Who?” It looks like Junmyeon doesn’t know anyone anymore.

“Jongin,” Sehun deadpans with palpable exasperation. “That brat from the giant beanstalk tall enough to touch the sky. He planted it two springs ago, killing the flowers I had planted in the woods.”

“He usually steals any kind of objects to gift the giant above the cloud,” Baekhyun adds. “If you find Jongin or the beanstalk, you will find the golden goose.”

 

♔♔♔

 

Junmyeon had known the journey wouldn’t be easy, but he had at least expected it to be faster.

Easter is getting closer by each second, but he is merely at the borderlands of the woods, eyeing the beanstalk that rises from the treetops until it touches the clouds and goes probably further.

The cloudy sky of winter blends easily with the white snow slowly landing above the trees, falling from the branches and covering the ground. Junmyeon would stop from walking beside his steed to admire the view if it wasn’t for the breeze. It’s crisp, drying his lips and freezing his ears, which have always had thin fur, making them slightly sensitive.

Inside the woods, it must feel warmer, but before reaching the depths, he gets to a meager lagoon at the end of the river. The water is cold, but his steed «such a good boy» doesn’t seem to mind.

When he crouches to take a sip of it and fill his water bottle, he can’t avoid staring at his reflection.

Even when he has been away from the kingdom for days, he still has a clean cut face ―an almost invisible trace of facial hair, and no scars or any other blemish that could indicate he had been on a mission. Royalty defines his features, but they are gentler rather than rougher.

His complexion may be well built, a result of a strict routine and perseverance «thank you», but his face, hands, hair, even ears, are still soft. No respectable King should have cheekbones that pinken with a peachy color and glow when smiling.

Touching his cheek with a hand free of his glove, he realizes he still carries the milky softness of a child and more of his mother’s features ―kind eyes, soft, white ears and a beaming smile.

When he was a kit, he would rejoice in it. Now, as an adult, he despairs that he isn’t the shape of his father ― with a stern presence, grey-colored ears and matching clean, black beard.

As a King, Junmyeon shouldn’t care. Even less so when he has decided to go straight forward to the giant’s house and take the golden goose by his own hand. Because that is what his father would do.

His trail of thoughts is abruptly stopped by a splash beside him.

«A rabbit coin?!»

When Junmyeon turns back, pretty sure that one of his coins drowned in the lagoon, he faces a man leaning lazily against a tree.

Said man has tanned skin, that contrasts with the pink hue of his hair, and dark clothes similar to a squire’s that fit over a slim but firm body. His face, even when sharp and toned, reflects a boyish semblance with playful brown eyes.

He is smirking, with a smile filled with mischief and Junmyeon’s belongings in his hands. He even bites one of Junmyeon’s apples in front of him «the nerve».

Junmyeon is about to take out his sword to scare him away until he realizes about his face and description. It’s too careless to make a fast assumption, but even so, he stares at the man warily, letting his sword in place.

“Are you Jongin?” Junmyeon asks. “From the beanstalk?”

The man raises an eyebrow, bites the apple one more time, and shrugs.

“Who is asking?” His voice is easy to follow and clear to hear. From the way he slumps his shoulders and yawns, he doesn’t have plans to go anywhere soon.

“Kim Junmyeon, the First of His Name” Junmyeon replies, straightening his back. “Rabbit Prince of Easter, Protector of the Hills, First to Lead the Throne after Kim Joohyun the Third.”

Jongin doesn’t look impressed by the honorifics, still eating unbothered.

“Why is a Bunny Prince looking for the beanstalk?”

“Rabbit,” Junmyeon corrects.

Jongin shrugs once again. “Rabbit, bunny, hare, it’s the same. Fancy ears you have there, though.”

Junmyeon can’t stop his ears from freezing when Jongin’s sharp gaze lays on them, but he refuses to let it bother him. Instead, he sighs and walks towards him until he is a couple of feet away.

Jongin has a tight grip on his pouch, where his golden cufflinks can be found, but Junmyeon is willing to trade them.

“We are around four months apart from Easter―” but he can’t tell him his true intentions. Junmyeon wants to ask gently for the goose. It would be easier if Jongin understood the situation, however, Junmyeon doesn’t know Jongin ―who could spread the word about the lack of eggs, inciting panic throughout the land. “My kingdom requires the golden goose.”

“Why?”

“Because Easter is coming, it should take a seat with us in the opening ceremony,” he lies instead. He can almost imagine himself feeding corn to the goose seated next to him.

If it saves Easter, Junmyeon will give it all the commodities it needs. «A royal room with a big mattress and silk sheets if necessary.»

“I don’t believe you,” Jongin states. “Last Spring, you celebrated Easter without him, why would you need him now? Besides, when I took him with me about two winters ago, no one batted an eye.”

Even after Baekhyun and Sehun accused him, Junmyeon was willing to give Jongin the benefit of the doubt. Yet, it’s clear his reputation speaks for himself.

“It belongs to our Kingdom, you stole it.”

Jongin then chuckles amused, almost entertained by the situation. “You really don’t know him, do you? You have never seen him, have you?”

Junmyeon his lips and tries to look as unbothered as possible. It might be true, but that won’t erase the fact Jongin is still a goose thief.

“I’m not here to discuss it with you. My father―”

“But why?” Jongin interrupts with honest curiosity, his expression roughly naive. “Why do you need him now?” Suddenly, realization lands on him and a wide smile stretches his features. “You need him for his eggs!” he exclaims, almost as if he was a kid solving a riddle.

“That’s not―”

“Is your production low? Easter golden eggs were being sold in the borderland towns by smugglers, but I thought Easter would still survive without them.”

Junmyeon opens his mouth to retort but closes it fast with no argument whatsoever. Jongin’s laughter is vexing, but what irks him the most is the fact he didn’t know about the stolen eggs.

No one told him, just as he didn’t tell his father about the lack of eggs.

Even if he tries to place both at the same level, he realizes they weren’t informed for different reasons. While his father wasn’t informed due to fear, he wasn’t due to lack of concern.

Jongin stops laughing when he realizes the lack of words from Junmyeon, but holds his smile.

“I’m sorry,” he says almost shyly.

“Can you give me the golden goose, please?” Junmyeon stretches his hand tiredly. Jongin eyes his hand playfully until Junmyeon puts it behind his back, realizing that he doesn’t have the goose with him, obviously.

“He is quite heavy.”

If Jongin could take it out of the kingdom, Junmyeon’s sure he can bring it back, but Jongin shakes his head and saves the apple in the pouch, preparing to leave.

“We can exchange it, for the pouch you have there.”

“It’s mine already, besides you only have food and gold cufflinks.”

“There is even more in the kingdom. More can be yours if you give me the goose.”

“He’s worth even more than whatever you can offer me,” Jongin says nonchalantly. “Are you sure you are the Bunny Prince? Usually, royalty doesn’t negotiate with smugglers.”

It’s true, he is negotiating with a thief for something that was his in the first place. The King would be disappointed to hear about it. It takes Junmyeon by surprise and Jongin takes advantage of his doubts to run away into the woods.

Without a second thought, Junmyeon follows him, realizing he left his steed at the lagoon.

Junmyeon is fast, but Jongin is too and he knows the woods better than Junmyeon will ever know them. Thus soon enough, Junmyeon finds himself lost, without a track of Jongin.

Hissing and kicking a small rock at his side, he decides to come back for his steed and continue the original plan of getting the goose by himself.

 

♔♔♔

 

Inside the woods, the temperature ceases to be bothersome at midday ―where it’s almost as if he was at the dry winter from his kingdom. The way the sun casts weak beams of light through the thick clouds and trees, makes him drop his guard for a while.

He lets Lancelot rest, placing his belongings on the floor before trying to find berries in some close bushes. Although he never learned all their names, he can recognize some from his own garden.

When he was a kit, he would spend days merely wandering around the gardens with his siblings, either playing or hiding the eggs for the hunt.

“Are you still here?”

Junmyeon sighs, the sweet memories from the past interrupted by Jongin. It’s already the fourth time he has faced his teasing smile and provoking persona inside the woods.

Jongin usually appears at midday or at the first light in the morning, but never at night «good lord». Usually, he carries something in his arms, being food, pouches or sacks.

This time, however, he has nothing but a simple berry in his hands.

“I am,” Junmyeon replies and can’t help but scrutinize Jongin, realizing that indeed, he is empty-handed. “Haven’t you stolen anything today?”

Jongin pouts as if it was an insult. “You make it sound terrible.”

“And it isn’t?”

“I only take what I need,” Jongin says with a sly smile. When he realizes Junmyeon won’t talk, he merely shrugs. “Sometimes.”

“Unbelievable. What do you do with it? Do you sell it?”

“It depends,” Jongin starts walking with his hands on his back, circling Junmyeon, scrutinizing him from head to toe ―his gaze heavy as if there is nothing that can distract it. It isn’t menacing or mocking, but more curious and attentive. “I can sell it, give it away or keep it for myself.”

“In which category does the goose fit?” Junmyeon asks, turning to face Jongin’s eyes, which glint with mischief. “Why is it up there, above the beanstalk?”

“Because it’s a marvelous place for him. What a shame you won’t see it.” Before Junmyeon can answer, Jongin is already backing away with a chuckle. “I’m sorry, I wish I could stay longer but I have to go, I think I found what I was looking for.”

Junmyeon blinks twice in confusion, wondering if that even had a meaning or if it was merely blabbering. Nonetheless, when he returns to Lancelot, one of his belongings is gone.

 

♔♔♔

 

It takes less than he expected to find himself in front of the beanstalk.

Junmyeon takes the time to examine it; it’s enormous, with big roots around it coming from the ground, with almost no trees in a considerable radius of about fifty feet. The roots should have paved their way, crushing everything in their path ―including Sehun’s flowers.

Snow is covering it, but its original mossy green can be seen through it. Its stem, thick and firm, is covered with leafs and small flowers here and there, with vines coiling up.

Junmyeon can climb it.

With a hand over the vines, he realizes they are firm enough to be gripped and stepped on.

Junmyeon can climb it.

Stepping over a vine and gripping another, he braces himself to start climbing.

No, Junmyeon is not scared, he reminds himself when he is on the ground once again. He merely needs to think about the situation better, because he could fall pretty easily.

At the thought of falling, he feels dizzy and his knees start to shake. Not because he is scared, but because he is tired and hasn’t fed himself correctly for the past weeks. Night is coming soon anyway, the best thing to do is call it a day and camp out for the night.

It’s a shame that Jongin managed to take his tent yesterday in another of their encounters in the woods. But he is still a Prince «for God’s sake», and he is prepared to deal with any kind of circumstances, unexpected or not.

 

♔♔♔

 

Junmyeon rolls his body to a side, feeling the snow in front of him and the leaves that tickle his skin and ears. Sleeping curled up on a coat over a root is absolutely not the most comfortable idea, but it had to do for the night. His body is slightly cold and some muscles are numb, but there is nothing a stretch can’t fix.

With a yawn and his arms stretched, he is ready to wake up and try climbing the beanstalk again.

The first thing he looks when opening his eyes is the sky, with the beanstalk disappearing inside a cloud. When he sits, however, he finds Jongin sitting in front of him, his just acquired provisions ―mostly different types of berries― in his hands.

«What a pain.»

“Stop,” Junmyeon commands, standing and reaching for his last pouch to snatch it from Jongin’s hands.

Junmyeon puffs and sits across him, opening the pouch to count his provisions.

Jongin smiles with his cheeks full of berries, chewing incredibly slow. Days have passed since Junmyeon entered the woods to get the golden goose, to get into Jongin’s territory. But the latter looks unbothered about it, teasing Junmyeon every chance he gets.

Truth be told, he is a mischievous boy inside the body of a man, who looks naive one second and devilish at the other.

“You really want him, don’t you?” Jongin asks after swallowing the berries and almost choking. Almost, but that didn’t stop Junmyeon from snorting.

“You stole it from my kingdom, it’s my duty to bring it back.” Junmyeon takes out a handful of blackberries and starts eating them one by one. Its flavor is sweet with a hint of acid, but Junmyeon is already getting used to it.

Suddenly, there is a chuckle.

Jongin is laughing at him, at him, with a hand under his chin, both arms resting on his knees, with eyes forming crescents.

“What is so funny?”

“Your cheeks!” he answers boyishly. “They look cute when you eat, like any other bunny.”

Junmyeon blinks twice and ignores the comment, turning to a side to hide his meal. Much to his dismay, this only makes Jongin’s attention grow, and he tilts to take a look at Junmyeon’s face.

“Stop.”

“But you are so cute, with your peachy cheeks.” Junmyeon realizes he is blushing, but it’s only because of the snow. “I almost feel like complying.”

“Do you?” Junmyeon asks out of the blue, straightening his back and ears to hear him better.

“No,” Jongin answers laughing.

“I don’t need your help anyway.”

When he finishes his meal, Junmyeon walks towards the steed to feed him before trying to climb the beanstalk.

«Today is the day.»

“Even if you go up there, he won’t go with you, neither Chanyeol will let you take him.”

“Who is Chanyeol?” Junmyeon asks sincerely curious.

“The giant above the cloud,” Jongin says patting the beanstalk. “This one gets right into his yard.”

“You stole the goose to give it to a giant? Why? Are you in debt with him?”

Jongin snorts. “We are friends.” With that being said, he disappears into the woods.

Looking at the beanstalk, it’s exactly what Junmyeon was expecting to prove himself ―to his kingdom, to his father, to him. No Rabbit King has traveled to reach a golden goose, climbed to the sky and met a giant. He would be the first one, acclaimed by everyone.

He would talk about the feat and how he saved Easter. It wouldn’t matter if he had to feed a goose for the rest of his life, he wouldn’t have to worry about the next Spring. The kingdom would celebrate, they would praise him, toast in his honor and no one, not a soul, would complain or doubt him.

If he closes his eyes, he can almost imagine the screams, ovations, and people throwing flowers at him. «Long live King Junmyeon, the most handsome, bravest and funniest of them all.»

He then takes a firm grip on the roots and steps above the others, finally leaving the ground behind ―at least by an inch.

Looking for some kind of support he turns at his steed, but it is merely eating a leaf without paying attention.

“I’m coming back by the end of the day, Lancelot,” he says anyway and starts to climb.

The actual climbing is easier than it seemed, with the first six feet looking good.

Then comes the tenth foot and he starts to wonder how long does it take for Jongin to climb and descend. It must be a pretty easy task for him, considering he visits the giant every day.

Somehow between the tenth and the fifteenth feet, he believes he can turn upside down and let the view amaze him.

But the view does more than that. It’s beautiful, he can’t deny it, but it’s also slightly terrifying. Suddenly, his hands feel sweaty inside the gloves and his feet don’t feel as firm as before. When he turns upwards again, the beanstalk looks further than it was in the beginning, if that’s even possible.

Searching for something he can land painlessly on, he realizes that he could die if he fell.

Nonetheless, he purses his lips and tightens his grip to step on the next vine, but that step comes wobbly, unsure and fails. He gasps, almost losing his grasp due to his trembling fingers. Panic and vertigo start to rise slowly inside him, numbing his legs and arms, but he has to continue.

With a heart beating faster than ever and feeling fearful, he loses the grasp on the next step and falls past two vines before embracing the beanstalk and sliding down.

The descent is faster and when his feet touch the ground, he can’t stop himself from reaching to his knees and leaning against the beanstalk. He breathes heavily, trying to gather the air that he has never lacked and wiping the cold sweat from his forehead.

There must be a different way.

 

♔♔♔

 

“The stalk won’t let you go up because you are going with bad intentions,” Jongin says casually after a few days of sharing «stealing» Junmyeon’s meals.

Junmyeon isn’t really sure how they built this particular routine, but it’s even less understandable that he seems not to mind it.

«You can attract more flies with honey than vinegar after all, can’t you?» But what it seemed like a mindset solely for the sake of his mission, has turned into something different.

Even if his intentions are uncertain most of the time, Jongin can be breezy and effusive. Junmyeon’s gullible personality always manages to cope with vexing and childish people, such as him.

«It’s a curse.»

Junmyeon raises an eyebrow before placing a berry in his mouth to chew. He will ignore Jongin’s squeal over it. “Bad intentions? You were the one that stole the goose, I’m trying to recover it for my kingdom. How is that a bad intention?”

“What if he doesn’t want to go with you?”

“It lived in my kingdom before, it was its home.”

“Are you sure about that?”

Junmyeon doesn’t answer after that because he won’t fall over Jongin’s teasing again. Instead, he looks at the beanstalk once more.

The coldest part of Winter has already passed, but the layers of snow are still thick. The time the snow needs to melt is the time Junmyeon lacks. If Spring was sooner already, perhaps it would be easier.

Or perhaps Junmyeon is merely making excuses due to the fact he has tried to climb the beanstalk for the past days without success, every time making it less far without any apparent reason.

Fine, Junmyeon will accept that the height is intimidating to him. It makes him shudder and doubt his chances of ever reaching the cloud. But he will keep persevering because he is no coward nor deserter.

Besides, it’s not like he has a second plan if the golden goose one doesn’t work.

Jongin won’t help him either, but that’s fine. After all, Junmyeon has already gotten used to the idea that the goose is actually in the giant’s hands. Jongin was merely the smuggler, the cause of it, the man in between.

He and his dumb beanstalk.

“Where did that come from, anyway?” Junmyeon asks more to himself than to Jongin, but the latter hums.

“An old lady gave me magic beans. She told me they were as valuable as gold and would give me what I needed.” Junmyeon realizes the bluish hue on Jongin’s lips due to the blueberries, but decides not to mention it. “I thought they would grow a golden tree.”

Junmyeon snorts. “That’s ridiculous.”

“What?” Jongin looks sincerely offended by his comment. “That’s what I thought I needed.”

“It was not?”

Jongin shakes his head a bit shyly. “I have something even better.” His cheeks have soft pink on them, making him look naive «which he isn’t, at all». “You may need the golden goose, but the beanstalk won’t let you climb it if you aren’t worthy of him.”

“Not worthy is not a surprise,” Junmyeon mutters with dark humor under his breath, but Jongin still seems to hear him. “Foolish plant.”

Jongin chuckles. “Why are you always so grouchy?” There is no answer but they stay in comfortable silence for a while before Jongin straightens his back.

It’s about time for him to leave, as in any other day he would do. However, this time he stays there, seizing Junmyeon.

“You are sullen and desperate for the “goose”, but you still don’t use that sword on me. I take your food and even took your tent, but you aren’t trying to strangle me. Why?”

“Honestly, I’m inquiring the same to myself,” Junmyeon replies, taking one last acidic berry. “Hurting you or threatening you won’t make a difference. Besides, I came here for the golden goose, not to harm anyone, not even you… Not that you don’t deserve it.”

“The King would have―”

“I know,” Junmyeon raises his voice, feeling regretful after it. “The King should answer to no one but himself and his own kingdom. I know it, Jongin.”

Junmyeon is exhausted of pondering and basing his decisions on what his father would do ―on what a legitimate King would or wouldn’t do. He is merely a Prince trying to save Easter, not because that’s what kings do, but because he is committed to do so ―he wants to do so.

The means to do it are what separates him from an actual King.

It doesn’t matter how much he tries, he can’t portray what he doesn’t have ―a strong presence that walks firm and stern through everyone, taking what is his and only his. He can't stop himself from being anything more than merciful, indulgent, compassionate, and perhaps a little foolish.

It seems like his kingdom was right in the first place, but he still wants to gift them Easter. Even if they usually pick on him, they still deserve a peaceful festivity. «Think about the kits.»

“You only want the eggs, don’t you?”

Junmyeon sighs and nods defeated. “I need them for my kingdom. Easter is our most precious festivity and they would be beyond disappointed if we don’t get to celebrate it.”

“Would you let him come back after that?”

“By all means,” Junmyeon raises his eyes hopeful. For once, Jongin looks sympathetic rather than teasing. “If it ―he― isn’t willing to stay, I would never make him.”

With a small gentle smile, Jongin stands up and reaches the beanstalk to pat its stem.

“Then come up. It will let you up now,” he says already climbing.

Truth be told, Junmyeon is scared. Worse than descending with trembling legs after climbing less than thirteen feet, it’s knowing Jongin is there to mock him and laugh at him when he falls.

At least by himself, Lancelot would be the only witness of his failure.

“Aren’t you coming?!” Jongin asks when he is probably at the sixteenth feet. “The beanstalk will do it faster for you if you come with me.”

Junmyeon nods and takes a grip of the vines, scrutinizing Jongin’s steps to follow his path. Jongin is honest to his word and waits patiently for Junmyeon to climb at his level. It’s true, the distance becomes less and less unlike the past times.

However, when he goes past his highest achieved height to the fifteenth feet, vertigo returns. Focusing on moving up is difficult when his mind is filled with his previous failed attempts and possible scenarios, horrible ones .

His throat becomes sore, his mind forces him to hyperventilate and his hands are sweaty once again. The thought of Jongin has already vanished, it’s just him and his fears hovering above him.

“Hey,” Jongin says, but Junmyeon is too busy with his limbs frozen to pay attention. “Look at me.”

Junmyeon prefers to close his eyes than look at him and show his hesitance, even when the command is repeated twice.

In a matter of seconds, Junmyeon realizes he doesn’t have the drive to move up, but he also despises the idea of going down. He has come too far to surrender to fear, but confront it is difficult. Thus, he doesn’t move, feeling the cold breeze around his body, snowflakes falling above his ears.

Suddenly, there is a hand above his arm.

“Come.”

Jongin is few inches away from him, with a monotone expression in which Junmyeon believes flashes concern. It lasts a second, but it makes him feel better.

A King should go through this alone, but a King can also accept the help of others. Therefore, he bites his ego and nods slowly.

With Jongin’s hand gripping his arm, time passes unbelievably faster ―even the minutes Junmyeon had used to recover at certain distances or the times he missed a step.

“Well done,” Jongin says encouragingly. “We are almost there, don’t worry.”

Junmyeon lets a deep breath escape his mouth when he feels a cloud brushing the tip of his ears. Nevertheless, they flick down when the feeling becomes ticklish and his vision blurs.

He hasn't looked anywhere but at the stem and Jongin, but from the way sudden soft vapor surrounds him, he realizes he is passing through the cloud.

“We are here,” Jongin’s voice soothes him to the very end when Junmyeon finally looks beyond the beanstalk that pierces another cloud with its tip.

The sky has a beautiful pale caramel color that blends with hues of pink and blue. The ground looks infinite, like a layer of cotton with holes in between. When he finally steps on the cloud, it takes him some seconds to adjust to his own weight. It’s almost like walking into thick snow, in which his feet slightly sink with each step, but above the cloud, it’s almost like floating.

His knees are weak from the climbing, not because he wasn’t prepared for such an arduous journey, but because of the trials of fear he had felt before. Seeing a panorama so astounding, bravery overtakes his body as he tries to peek and see beyond one of the cloud’s holes.

The view is terrifying still, thus he flinches stepping back as fast as he can.

“You won’t fall,” Jongin says patting his back.

At Junmyeon’s bewildered expression, he laughs. Yet, his glee sounds and looks different ―bubbly and contagious.

Must be the fast heartbeat and stress from seconds ago, Junmyeon dismisses.

Then, he turns to take a look at the giant’s house, since they are supposed to be in his backyard. Oddly, the house is a ''common size'', with tall walls and peculiarly big objects, but nothing beyond normal.

“I,” Junmyeon breathes slowly, still recovering from the climb. “I thought this was a giant’s house?”

“And it is,” Jongin says pointing at other houses that can be seen in the distance. “And those are too, but giants have the same 'size' as us up on their clouds. Magic tends to shrink them making them light enough to live up here. If they ever go down, however, they can be taller than any tree.”

Junmyeon opens his mouth in honest amusement. When he realizes it ―after hearing Jongin’s small chuckle― he closes his mouth instantly. There is something about being above the clouds, that makes him feel lighthearted and loose.

But he hasn’t forgotten about the golden goose.

“Is the goose here?”

“No,” Jongin replies casually. “Chanyeol traveled to visit his family for a while before Spring could come and took the goose with him.” Before Junmyeon can demand an explanation, Jongin adds: “I told you I would let you up, and here you are.”

“You are going to die by my hand.” Junmyeon sighs tiredly. “I thought you were trying to help.”

“Hmm…” Jongin seems to ponder for a few seconds before smiling cheekily. “I changed my mind. Besides, I can’t bring them back here in the blink of an eye.”

“Then why didn’t you tell me in the first place instead of letting me up before time?”

Jongin shrugs. “I couldn’t see you down there freezing and starving with mere berries. But worry not, he can lay eggs fast enough for you when he comes back. There is nothing to fret about.”

“What about Lancelot?” Junmyeon asks with arms crossed, he won’t let his steed die in the cold with no one to feed him.

“I will feed him myself,” Jongin imitates Junmyeon’s pose with a teasing smile. “It’s not like you would go down to climb back again every day, would you?”

Junmyeon stays silent to which Jongin chuckles once again.

“Be our guest.”

 



I decided to post this fic in two parts to keep the chapters around 6k. I will post the other half soon- joss