The Beginning

The Promise of You - One Shot Story (This Heart Beats for You series)

Could he really like me? What if he's just acting? He's such a good actor. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Bo Young looked at herself in the mirror as she brushed her hair.  She looked at herself critically. He was an idol before, so he's been with other idols too, all those pretty and y girl idols. Hmmp!  She slammed her brush down on her dresser in irritation. She was feeling quite out of sorts today. They finished filming the scene in the amusement park. The scene where her character was trying to distract an upset Min Hyuk. They went on several thrilling rides in their pretend date. They rode the Columbus Adventure, this huge boat shaped ride, which swung them in tremendous arcs back and forth.  It was quite a role reversal; she was actually terrified and had to act brave while he pretended to be scared when he was the more adventurous one in real life. When Pd-nim yelled cut, she finally let out the yell she had been holding back inside. He was laughing at the thrill of it all and had grasp her arm to help calm her down. She had wanted to scoot over and be held but then chided herself at the thought. The bts camera is constantly around and sometimes she couldn't tell whether they are still being filmed or not. Then there was the ice cream scene when he reached over to wipe her lips, even after they passed the line of sight of the camera filming them. He did it so casually but the gesture made her heart skip a beat. She pursed her lips in annoyance. Even when Pd-nim yelled cut, why is he still acting? She stomped in her bed in a huff. Her mind still on this man who seemed to be occupying her thoughts more than she cared to admit. She had always found him attractive even back in his idol days. When they were chatting during one of their filming breaks, she let slipped that she was his fan and was mortified when he quizzed her about their songs and she was able to answer him correctly. She saw that he was impressed and surprised by this which made her all the more shy. She kept catching him looking at her, puzzling her to no end, making her blush. Why does he have to look at me like that all the time?

Before the filming started, she was unperturbed, even reached out to both actors to keep them grounded and relaxed. Bo Young has an uncanny ability to bring out the best in her coworkers from her generosity and kind nature. She knew the young actors were hesitant and nervous acting with her, and thought that being the more seasoned actor, it was up to her to set the pace and atmosphere. And though both are such attractive young men, they were unassuming and humble; she knew the female staff were always tittering whenever the men were shooting their scenes together. So she hardly hesitated in initiating friendship with both, even creating their own chat group. She was even fine when he asked permission to be more familiar with her, as it would mimic the roles they are both building for the drama. She just didn't anticipate how much this familiarity would create havoc in her peace of mind.

.

.

 

"My Bo Young-ie, let's have an outing. It's the weekend, so there's no filming tomorrow." Hyung Sik siddled up to her, helping her with her coat as they wrapped up a scene. He is constantly around, never far, even when his scenes have already completed he would still be there waiting for her, watching her.  "Are you doing anything tomorrow?" 

"Oh, did you want to go over a scene or something?" she asked, buttoning up her coat as he helped put her scarf on.

"Well,.. yeah sure, we can talk about scenes too. I was hoping we can just hang out. Take a break from filming, you know."

"Ok, but I think Ji Soo is busy. I heard he has a family event to go to."

"Oh it's ok, he won't mind." Hyung Sik answered nonchalantly. "I'll pick you up and we can have lunch, even catch a movie..."

"Ohh, can we go see The King? I've been wanting to see it but my dongsaeng is not interested since it's not a romance." 

"Sure... Wait, isn't that a Jo In Sung movie?" he asked belatedly. His eyebrows knotting visibly.

"You haven't seen it, have you? You don't mind? It's a great movie. I guess if you're not interested, I can watch it another time. Kwang Soo hasn't watched it either; he's been busy with projects too."

"No, no, I don't mind. Of course I'll take you." He said hurriedly. "I just thought you would prefer to go to the park and have a picnic or something."

She laughed prettily, unaware she was getting him rattled. "Let's do that another time, when others are free, so it will be more fun."

He sighed under his breath as he walked her to her car. "All right. I'll call you later. Rest well, my Bo Young-ie." 

She got in her car and waved at him as her manager drove them off.

She didn't miss the side glance Minki threw at her. "What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Nothing. You two are going out tomorrow?"

"Yes. He wanted to go over the next script."

His eyebrow rose. "Oh yeah, does he now? I didn't hear that part." He teased Bo Young.

"What do you mean? Aissh, stop it. You know how he is..."

"Uh-huh. I'm telling you now, as your big brother and friend, not just your manager-- that boy likes you. A lot."

"Ani. Stop talking nonsense." Her cheeks warmed at the thought, but shook her head dismissively.

.

That evening, after she and her sister finished dinner and were curled up watching a tv drama, her phone beeped. It was a message from Hyung Sik.

Did you eat yet? Are you resting?

Yes. And you? We're just home watching tv.

Ah. I just finished dinner too. But I missed you already. I can't wait to see you.

Oh You! Stop being naughty. Otherwise, you will have to treat me tomorrow.

It will be my pleasure. :) We can have lunch somewhere nice and then go for a drive. 

Where? I don't want to go somewhere public.

Don't worry, my Bo Young-ie. It won't be. We'll go somewhere where it's not crowded and it will just be us. 

Bo Young's heart beat sped up at these exchanges. She was enjoying his flirting and couldn't help the smile from forming on her lips. Her sister noticed her preoccupation and surreptitiously read over her shoulder.

"Yahhh, my eonnie has a date!" she bellows startling Bo Young so that she almost dropped her phone.

"Sheesh, no I don't. We are just going out..." she was flustered and unable to complete her thought. 

She quickly stood to leave her young sister who continued to . "He is cute, eonnie. So dreamy. All my friends have a crush on him." Her sister sighed dramatically, clasping both hands to her chest in a parody of a fangirl. "They were sooo very jealous I got to meet him." 

She made a face at her sister, who just laughed at her retreating back.

Sorry, my sister is being a pain. She quickly texted him back in the privacy of her room.

Why? Are you two fighting?

Ani, she's just teasing me. She thinks we're going on a date.

[pause]

Aren't we?

She was sure her sharp intake of breath was audible that he would've heard even through their texts. She couldn't figure out how to answer him back.

Ring! Ring! Her phone rang in succession. It was him calling.

"Yeoboseyo,"  damn it, she thought, hearing her own breathless voice.

"Why didn't you text back?"

"I-I.. nothing. I just saw your message."

"Hmm. You're not changing your mind, are you?"

"What? N-no of c-course not," she stammered. 

"Good. Because, I really want to spend some time alone with you, away from the cameras. Just the two of us," he whispered.

She gulped audibly. "Ok. Right. I, ah, um, I'll see you tomorrow then." 

"Sleep well, my Bo Young-ie. I hope you'll dream of me." And with those parting words huskily whispered in her ears, he said good night.

Well, !  she thought, as she tossed her phone on the nightstand and flopped facedown on her bed. Her heart was still racing. How to sleep after that! 

.

.

She took forever getting ready. She was unreasonably feeling anxious as she changed into multiple different outfits. She finally settled on a white blouse with intricate lacy patterns and a peach jumper dress with little flower prints. She paired this with her cream suede sandals. Her outfit suited her well, adding color to her creamy complexion that is already flushed from her nervousness. She wished her hair was still long, for now it is cut in a bob for her drama, and felt she looked cute rather than y. She sighed, Ottoke.

He came by to pick her up. He looked handsome even without trying, she thought, unable to meet his eyes. He of course had no difficulty staring. It felt like his eyes were boring holes in her; he could make her feel as if everything else around them has disappeared and only she existed at the way he would focus those eyes at her. It made her feel jittery and anxious and thrilled.

Hyung Sik was trying his best to be calm and not too forward. He had sensed her anxiety and shyness. She had worried needlessly about her appearance, for when he saw her his breath caught; she looked so beautiful, her eyes fluttery, her cheeks pink, her lips rosier from her lipbite. He wanted to reach out and embrace her and whisper sweet nothings in her ears. And oh my God, kiss her. Kiss her to heaven and back until they're both senseless. In due time, he thought, calming himself.

They chatted easily enough after the first minute of awkwardness. Hyung Sik went and got tickets for the movie beforehand and they quickly slid in the back of the theater away from any prying eyes. It was an early showing, so they enjoyed the privacy of the near empty theater and the darkness. He made a move to hold her hand and was foolishly pleased when she did not pull back. He was too distracted by the nearness of her, the way her hand grasps his in return, by the scent of her hair. He couldn't help but just watch her instead of the screen. 

She was too aware of him too, but pretended to be engrossed in the movie. And she purposely avoided meeting his eyes. She knew if she did, he will lean over and kiss her and she is not brave enough to do so in such a public setting. So she kept her eyes trained forward, doing all her best to concentrate on the story, and sending a quick thought of apology to her friend In Sung for not being more engaged in his movie.

It was pouring heavily by the time the movie finished and they made to leave the theater.  She could see Hyung Sik was upset that their plans were waylaid by the weather turning sour. He had planned a trip to Dream Forest to spend the afternoon in the gardens and waterfalls, even procuring a basket of food for a little picnic. She tried to console him. "Hyung Sik-kie, it's ok. We can have another picnic another time. Let's just go back since it's so nasty outside anyway. We can have our picnic at home."

He brightened somewhat at the prospect. Hyung Sik was actually worried their date would be cut short because of the weather, so he was visibly mollified at the thought of still spending the afternoon with her. He drove carefully, but quickly to get them home.

The rush from the car to the house drenched them both from the pouring rain. His grey sweater, now soaking wet, clung to his body. Hyung Sik was far from being the muscly man some of the idols/actors tend to be. But he is toned, and coupled with being lean and tall and broad shouldered, he is quite delectable. When he took off his sweater, his white shirt left little to the imagination. She caught herself staring unable to look away, finally wrenching her eyes off of him when she saw his deep intake of breath. She grabbed a towel to hand over to him. 

He caught her wrist with his hand in a gentle but firm grasp. He towered over her, looming, staring as they stood mere inches apart. She had to tilt her head to meet his eyes and what she saw there made her breath hitch in her chest. The air around them became visibly electrified at this very moment. His hand moved to lift her chin, as he bent closer and closer to erase the gap between them. His kiss gentle, tentative, clearly seeking her assent. He softly nipped her bottom lip, something he had longed to do for quite some time. Finding her reponsive, he angled himself to fully fit her lips to his. The kiss started chaste but deepened as he braced her on the wall. Her arms clasped his neck as he tightened his embrace. They were lost in the bliss of finding each other. In need of air, they broke apart; their eyes searching, finding their own emotions mirrored on the other's face. Hyung Sik leaned his forehead on hers, nose touching her cheek, arms unable to let go. He moved to plant a kiss on her ear and murmured, "I love you, my Bo Young-ie and I am forever yours from this moment on."

.

.

.