Chapter One

Dark World: The War

She puffed on both of her cold palms as they covered . She was hugging herself, shivering in cold. It was dark as the sun had long set down. It was chilly and windy as the winter was coming. She was walking through the forest, not knowing where her destination was. But, she knew she had to walk as far as possible so she won't be caught again. Her thin white blouse and short leather pant didn't help her deal with the cold. Her short bob cut blonde hair was useless as well.

She started to breath heavily, releasing a thin cloud of steam every time she exhaled. She was tired, cold and hungry. She didn't know how long had passed since she started walking in the forest. She remembered that the sun was still high up when she was first left at the border of the forest. She started to regret her decision of running away from the mansion. Maybe she should just stay in her room, playing with her dolls.

She shook her head. But, that was not what she wanted. She wanted to be free. She read a lot of books and saw a lot of photos. The world was so beautiful and she wanted to see it before her own eyes. She was fed up with the same routine she had daily. She didn't want to go back and watched her dolls all day.

With those thoughts, she showed determination in her eyes. She decided that she would keep walking until the sun rose. That was what her mind had set.

The air was getting colder and colder and she started to slow her pace down but she didn't stop. Slowly, a ray of light was shown at the border of the sky, changing the colour; from pitch black to a line of orange. Slowly, really slowly, the light shone on her face and instantly she collapsed.

With her eyes closed, she stretched her whole body as her both hands; linked with each other, were extending far from her head, while her legs were straightened, feeling warm and fuzzy. Under the warm blanket, she returned to her sleeping foetus position. started to feel dry as she parted her chapped lips.

"Water," she whispered, while her eyes closed, lying comfortably on the soft bed.

"Water," she said again, louder as she couldn't feel the straw on her lips. She started to feel irritated. This was the first time the maid was slow.

After a while of waiting, feeling burning out of rage, she frown, opened her eyes and instantly sat herself up. "Yaaaaa!!!" she screamed. "Where's...." she paused when she noticed that she was not in her bedroom. The room was obviously a lot smaller than her bedroom and the sour smell was quite strong. She sniffed, searching for the source of the smell and it was actually come from the blanket and the bed.

She frowned, disgusted.

Then, she heard running footsteps which were getting louder and louder. She knew someone was coming but not knowing what to expect, she stayed on the bed.

"Are you okay?" A young fair man entered the room in rush, as he looked at her worriedly.

She was surprised as she didn't expect a man would show up. She covered her chest with the blanket, forgetting how bad it smelled, looking at the man anxiously while her other hand was searching for the gun she usually kept at her waist.

Her eyes widened as she noticed that her gun and the gun holster was gone. She bit her inner cheek, trying to hide the anxiety she felt.

“I am not a bad guy,” the man smiled cheekily; at least that was what she thought he was doing. “I’m Henry,”

“Why am I here?” she asked, being suspicious as her weapon was not with her. “Where’s my gun?” she probed another question, refused to wait for the first question to be answered.

“Well, I found you almost dead in the forest this morning and I don’t want to be shot,” He answered simply as he tilted his head, waiting for the young woman who was still on his bed to response.

She frowned, thinking. Slowly, she remembered that she was actually running away from home. She was left at the edge of forest after she hitched a ride from a family who stayed at the border of the city. She looked up at Henry, feeling guilty yet thankful after she remembered what happened. Then, she looked down, feeling embarrassed. “Thanks,” she said softly, almost whispering.

Henry slowly made his steps closer towards the bed as he was quite sure that the young woman was no longer felt threatened by him. “You’re welcome,” He stopped as he was now right in front of the bed. “So, can I at least know your name?”

She her chapped and dry lips, anxious. “Sunny,” she answered, hiding her real name.

“That’s a pretty name,” Henry smiled. This time, the smile looked sincere.

“So, are you okay? Are you injured? Are you sick?” Henry asked, making his way to the bedside, looking worriedly at Sunny.

Sunny shook her head. “My body ache but I am not sick,”

“Are you sure? You were frozen this morning that I thought you were dead,” His eyes were looking at her, looking for any sign of sickness or pain.

Sunny nodded. “But, I am thirsty,” she said as she couldn’t really feel the saliva in . “and hungry,” still nodding down as she still felt bad.

“Hungry? I will cook for you. Wait here for a while,” He said as he quickly walked out of the room, not waiting for her response.

Her eyes followed him until he disappeared from her view. He seems nice. She thought. But dirty, as he started to notice the bad smell once again.

Sunny slowly stepped down the wooden stairs, turning her head around to see the lower level of the house. She could see the sofa and bar counter. As she went further down, the back of the man of the house entered her sight. Sunny stood still as she kept observing him. The way he flipped the cooking wok while the flame was burning inside the wok, showed that he had a great cooking skill.

“Don’t just stare, Miss Sunny,” Henry said, turning his head around, looking directly at Sunny. “Come and sit here,” he continued, tapping the bar counter which as right behind him.

Sunny was startled as she didn’t expect he would notice her presence. She nodded down, blushing as she made her way to the bar counter, sitting on one of the bar stool. “You can just call me Sunny. I hate formality,” Sunny said as she recovered from the previous embarrassment.

“That’s cool, Sunny,” Henry said, smiling. Then he turned back to the wok, continuing his cooking. “I hate when people call me sir too,”

Sunny chuckled. “Do you live here?”

“Yup,” he answered as he transferred the food from the work to a plate. “What do you think?” Henry was now serving the plate on the bar counter, making eye contact with Sunny as he smiled.

“The house?” Sunny questioned, raising one of her eyebrows.

Henry nodded, serving her a bowl of rice, a pair of chopstick and a spoon. “I hope you like beef and Chinese food,”

“My favourite,” Sunny responded with a sweet smile, looking directly in Henry eyes as now he was sitting directly in front of her. “You have a nice house,”

“Thanks,” he nodded, feeling proud.

“But, it would be better if you clean it properly,” Sunny continued, smiling mischievously.

Henry instantly widened his eyes and frowned, overreacting. “Ouch, didn’t expect the attack,”

Sunny chuckled before she continued eating.

“So, aren’t you curious about me?” Henry continued the conversation.

“Aren’t you supposed to be curious about me?” Sunny replied with a glare, puzzled and a little bit annoyed.

“I am. I met a beautiful fairy who was lying on the cold ground as if she just felt from heaven and now she is awake, I wonder where her wings are,” Henry grinned.

Sunny chuckled, covering with one of her hand. “That’s smooth,” as she recovered from the small laugh. “You are obviously a sweet talker,”

Henry shrugged his shoulders. “I’ll take that as a compliment,” Henry placed both of his elbows on the counter, leaning forward, showing interest towards Sunny. “So, why were you there?”

Sunny nodded down, parting her lips, trying to say something but it didn’t come out. She were not sure either she could trust Henry or not. “I’m...” she paused, hesitated. “I’m running away,”

“Huh? Why? Are you a wanted criminal or something?” Henry was shocked.

“I am wanted but I am not a criminal,” Sunny answered carefully. She didn’t want to expose that she was actually running away from her house.

“Why?” Henry asked, curious. How can someone as pure and sweet as Sunny being chased as if she is a criminal. He thought.

Sunny kept silent as she didn’t know how to explain without exposing herself. She nodded down and pursed her lips.

“I’m sorry,” Henry immediately apologized. “Don’t tell me if you don’t want to. I am dense so, if you are uncomfortable, you can just tell me directly,”

“Please don’t downgrade yourself like that. You did great noticing that I don’t want to talk about it,” Sunny smiled, trying to sooth Henry who was panicked.

Henry smiled listening to Sunny comfort words. “You’re sweet,” he praised, smiling from ear to ear.

“Don’t you think I am suspicious?” Sunny asked, curious as Henry was treating her nicely although he had no information about her.

Henry titled his head, pursing his lips while thinking. “Honestly, I do,” Henry smiled. “But, you can’t do anything without your gun,”

Sunny chuckled. “You shouldn’t belittle me. I can do a lot without my gun,”

Henry grimaced as he asked. “Really?”

Sunny chortled and continued finishing her last spoon of rice.

“Can I ask you something?” The man placed his palm under his chin, comfortably waiting for her to answer.

Sunny nodded. “Sure,”

“Your clothing looks expensive but why don’t you wear something warm instead?”

Sunny laughed, covering as it was louder than her usual chuckle. “Well, I just forget that winter is coming,”

Henry laughed heartedly. That was new for him. How could someone forget the season when you could feel the changes with your own five senses? “You’re weird,” he continued laughing. “But cute,”