Final

The starry sky, it shines bright.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

People say that there are plenty of fishes in the sea. Then in the same sense there are plenty of stars in the galaxy.

There are stars of different sizes, shapes and brightness, and in different colours and hues. You have families of stars that band together. Their bonds are so strong, even stars from faraway galaxies would be able to see their strong connection, imaginary lines connecting onto one another and creating a picturesque scene. You also have those stars who shine bright on their own. Large, heavenly bodies whose rays shine onto others and inspires them, a star who serves as a guiding figure to the smaller stars.

There’s also that popular star who’s constantly shining bright and is surrounded by all the other stars who love and adore him. And then you have that one lonely star whose so small and insignificant, you barely notice its existence it in the night sky. Solitary and alone, not a single cosmic body willing to be in its presence.

Jaeseok is like that popular star. Every time we pass each other in the hallways, the cafeteria, sitting a table apart in class, I can only hope to one-day reach a star so out of reach. Like the popular star, he shines bright in everyone else’s eyes. His hair is like gold rolled into fine threads, it glimmers in the sunlight as he struts down the walkway. His smiles light up the whole room, challenging even the ethereal sunlight. He’s so close, yet so very far away.

On the other hand, I associate myself with that lonely star. So small and insignificant compared to the popular star, I just fade in the background whenever he’s in the same picture. I’m probably unlikeable too hence why no one would want to be seen around me within a ten-meter radius.

“You should really stop putting yourself down like that, Sungyoon” Daeyeol said as he laid his head on my shoulder. His dark locks smelled of vanilla and jasmine, and it rested wearily over my shoulder. There was a change in pressure on the area where he rested his head as he yawned and took a deep breath.

 

 ‘…Have I been speaking my thoughts out loud again?’  I asked myself. I did have a habit of voicing out my thoughts without being aware of it.

 

I heard a soft giggle from my left, followed by a quiet “yes”.

The following moments were spent in peace as my best friend of eightteen years, Daeyeol, and I had our monthly star gazing session. It was funny how we met, really. It was just like another night like this sixteen years ago when shooting stars began zooming through the sky. From the window beside my bed, I watched as a multitude of those stars fell from the heavens like fallen angels. One particularly bright star burst through the night sky and flew over the large hill across the road from my home, leaving a trail of white star dust in its wake. I got out of my house and ran to the hill, hoping that maybe the star landed on top. What I didn’t expect, however, was making contact with a firm back.

“A-are you a star?” I remember a four-year-old Sungyoon asked. Daeyeol, then six years old, only stared at me quizzically. “Oh, an alien then? Did you come to take me? Are you really going to invade our planet?”

Daeyeol didn’t reply, he wasn’t much of a talker then. Instead, he took my chubby hands in his and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter