Chapter Six

Winning (But Losing) to You

“Ummmm, no. Not happening.”

Hyungwon sighs in exasperation, pouting a bit to try and sway his hyungs to change their minds. He’s just told them about the invitation he’d received earlier, and Minhyuk seems absolutely appalled.

“Like I would want to go to that munchkin’s house,” Minhyuk snorts. His sneer turns into a curious sort of stare as he adds, “What happened between you two behind that curtain today? I figured the debate would be a bloodbath, like the rest of the school, but instead you throw in the towel? And now he’s inviting us all to a party?? Did you two make out or something?”

Hoseok chokes on his drink at the accusation, drawing the attention of a few nearby café customers, while Hyungwon only gives Minhyuk an unamused glare.

“Nothing happened…” Hyungwon answers slowly. “He just apologized for the other day in the hall.” He takes a sip from his own drink as if it isn’t a big deal, though really he takes it to have a reason to swallow down the ball of guilt that suddenly rises at the slight fib. Of course, he’d technically told the truth, but it still feels like a lie, because it very much is a big deal to him.

But, Minhyuk doesn’t need to know that.

“Yoo Kihyun apologized?” Hoseok asks as he regains some semblance of composure. “Wow, that never happens…” He then pauses, as if thinking. “Will Kkungie be at the party?” Hyungwon nods, and Hoseok immediately turns in his seat to make a plea. “Pleeeaaaase, Minhyukkie~? Surely it won’t be so bad… You can even mess up his bathroom cabinets, if you want.”

Minhyuk hums, as if intrigued by the notion, and Hyungwon merely watches the scene wondering if Hoseok had forgotten he’s the hyung, not Minhyuk… He doesn’t outwardly question it, though, as this is pretty typical for the eldest in their trio.

“Hyunwoo-sunbae is sure to be there, too…” Hyungwon adds in a low mumble, and he can tell by the shift of light in Minhyuk’s eyes that he’s won. He smirks victoriously over at Hoseok, who beams delightedly at Minhyuk and leans over to hug him tight. Minhyuk releases a defeated sigh, and gives Hyungwon a ‘this better be worth it’ glare. The youngest of the three gives only a small nod, having no doubt in his mind that it most definitely will be…

 

“Congratulations, hyung~!” Jooheon compliments, hugging Kihyun round the neck. Kihyun chuckles softly, patting his dongsaeng on the head before pulling back.

“I knew you’d win,” Hyunwoo says softly, giving the victor a proud father-like grin. The newly-reelected student body president feels a swell of pride rise up within him, and he straightens up his posture to show it.

“Typical victor’s party at my place!” he informs the two as they walk off, in the direction of their homes. They give a single hum of acknowledgment, and Kihyun smiles to himself before starting off in the opposite direction, to his own home.

“Hyung!” a familiar voice calls breathily, causing Kihyun to stop and turn round to see Changkyun sprinting towards him. Kihyun chuckles warmly, the blush spreading across the underclassman’s chubby cheeks making him seem all the cuter.

“I just wanted to congratulate you now,” Changkyun says as he slows to a stop. “I, um… I don’t know if I’ll make it to your party this time…” He bites on his lower lip, seeming to refuse to meet Kihyun’s gaze as the older pouts confusedly.

“But I was hoping you’d come…” he murmurs, his voice soaked in disappointment to try and guilt the younger into changing his mind.

“I know,” Changkyun all but whines, shuffling on his feet, “but I wanna check on Wonnie-hyung to make sure he’s alright… I don’t want him to be alone right now, and Hoseok and Minhyuk-hyung are always the worst at figuring out how to console Wonnie-hyung—”

“Hyungwon-ssi will be alone?” Kihyun asks, curiosity overtaking his voice. “What about his parents? I’m sure his mom will know what to do to help him out.”

“Um,” Changkyun mutters, unsure if he should give the older this much information. But, he knows it isn’t in Kihyun’s character to use such sensitive intel against someone, so he figures it’s okay. “Wonnie-hyung lives alone… His parents are always out of town for business. You… didn’t know that?” Kihyun shakes his head, his brow furrowing in confusion. Changkyun releases a small breath, hoping he hasn’t just committed a major breach of Hyungwon’s trust. But, a lot of the girls know about it at the school, hence their continued fascinate with him, so surely it’ll be okay.

“Well,” Kihyun says slowly, as if thinking carefully, “I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I invited Hyungwon-ssi to the party, so he and his cronies will probably show.”

“Really??” Changkyun asks, sounding as if someone had shown him undeniable proof of Santa Claus’s existence. Kihyun can’t help but give a small laugh as he nods. “Oh, well then I’ll be able to come. Never mind, hyung~! I’ll see you later!” He then gives the older a quick hug before scurrying off in the direction the others had gone.

Kihyun turns back in the previous direction and walks slowly home, thinking about how lonely Hyungwon must be living alone like that… And, as far as Kihyun can tell, he really only considers Hoseok, Minhyuk, and Changkyun as real friends. He has no girlfriend or boyfriend to speak of… That could be why Hyungwon’s always late to everything, and so closed-off from everyone.

A chill sets in on Kihyun’s heart, and he pulls his jacket tighter around himself. He had never realized there could be a legitimate reason for the younger boy’s behavior.

 

Hyungwon bolts awake that night in a sweat. He can feel the blush rising on his cheeks, and he releases a shaky breath. He his plump lips once, the taste of the other boy still on them.

Visions of Kihyun dance in the forefront of his mind. Wonderful visions, visions of them laughing together, hanging out like true friends… kissing like it’s the most natural thing in the world…

His heart hammers hard in his chest, threatening to break free and run to find the boy in his dreams.

What the hell?? Hyungwon silently demands, utterly confused. This has gotta be some kind of mistake. I can’t possibly… like Yoo Kihyun… Not that sorry, pretty, aggravating, adorable excuse for a hyung. , I mean sunbae! Excuse for a sunbae!!!

Hyungwon sighs out in aggravation, wiping at his face with his long fingers. He feels betrayed by himself, as this is most certainly not supposed to happen. But, even as he tries to silently deny his own feelings, he remembers how nice it had felt to speak with the older behind the curtain before. How easy it had been to not fight… He recalls that all too pretty smile the older had had, and finds himself wanting to see it again…

 

Across town, Kihyun lies awake as well, though he hadn’t even managed to get to sleep in the first place. He stares at the wall beside his bed, thinking deeply about that certain underclassman who’s always infuriated him to his very core. Yet, for the first time since meeting him, the mere notion of Chae Hyungwon doesn’t anger him in the slightest.

He’s gotta admit, it’s a nice change…