Chapter One

Winning (But Losing) to You

“Spoiled lanky brat!”

“Disgusting little gremlin!”

Kihyun glares up at the younger male, heaving breaths through clenched teeth. His hands are pressed down against the lunch table. His eyes blaze an irate light. He’s vaguely aware of a gentle hand grasping his arm and attempting at pulling him back, but there’s no way in hell he’s backing down first.

Minhyuk sighs noisily beside Hyungwon, and tugs on his arm to pull him away.

“Come on, Wonnie,” Minhyuk mumbles, “we’ll leave this troll to his lunch.” Kihyun finally tears his gaze away from Hyungwon only long enough to sneer in fake amusement at the same-aged boy, to which the other only rolls his eyes. Hyungwon begrudgingly goes along with his friend, and Kihyun can finally sit down.

The third-year heaves a deep sigh, leaning against Hyunwoo for support. The older merely continues to munch on his carrot sticks, while their two dongsaengs, Jooheon and Changkyun, glance to one another wearily. Kihyun and Hyungwon fighting isn’t anything new, but that doesn’t make it any less tense of a situation to witness firsthand. Changkyun looks around at the surrounding tables, relieved to see the gazes they’d drawn seem to be turning away at last.

“What was that one even about?” Hyunwoo asks genuinely, earning a breathy little chuckle from Kihyun. The brunette straightens up as he shakes his head at his hyung.

“Hell if I know,” Kihyun replies, stabbing the mushy food on his tray with detached interest. He really ought to get into a habit of bringing his own lunches. At least then he’d be guaranteed a decent meal midday. “That lanky bastard just came up to me and started arguing…”

“He was joking around with Minhyuk-hyung,” Changkyun interjects with a pout, “and you were glaring at him, and he noticed and made a comment about you, and then you two started yelling. Like always.” He adds the last part in a grumble, and Kihyun can’t help but feel a little guilty. The maknae is friends with Hyungwon and his gang of miscreants, though Kihyun can never think of why, and the constant fighting between them has always made him incredibly uncomfortable.

“Sorry, Kyunnie,” Kihyun tells him, trying for a small smile. Changkyun’s pout morphs into a little grin of his own after only a moment, and Kihyun’s conscience eases. “I just… I don’t know. He just knows how to push my buttons with the least amount of effort possible.”

“You let him push your buttons,” Hyunwoo points out. Kihyun presses his lips together as he stabs again at his food, his irritation spiking once more as he just thinks of that lanky son of a .

“He’s such a brat,” Kihyun mutters. “Everything gets handed to him on a silver platter because of his looks. He’s never had to work for anything he has. It just… It drives me crazy to know there are actually people that privileged in this world.” Hyunwoo hums in acknowledgment, but doesn’t say anything else. After all, it’s the same thing he’s been saying about Hyungwon ever since they met on the boy’s first day of high school.

Kihyun had been designated from the sophomore class to lead groups of freshmen around after their orientation ceremony. He’d been giving them a tour, showing them all the essentials, when Hyungwon had made himself known to the entire campus. He’d sauntered in hours late to the day, had completely missed orientation and every other important thing of the morning. Girls fawned all over him, making it nearly impossible for Kihyun to regain control of his group… and things only proved to get worse from there.

Throughout their shared years together at this school, the two have clashed every chance they could get. Neither walk away from the encounters quite knowing why they’ve fought, but both walk away feeling beyond angry with the other.

 

Hyungwon scrolls through his Twitter feed during class, pouting slightly at the mundaneness of the day. He absolutely hates being bored, and school is the worst at boring him… or the best… or whatever. It’s partly why he’s always so annoyed. Add that to seeing that ing troll every day, and you’ve got a very pissed Hyungwon on your hands every afternoon by 3 pm.

Hoseok glances over distractedly, as if not really meaning to look over but his eyes do it anyway. He can’t really blame his eyes. He’s been staring at the formulas on the whiteboard now for the past thirty minutes, working out the example problems along with the teacher, and he could definitely use a break.

The older huffs out a knowing chuckle and merely continues with his work, this being an incredibly typical sight of his dongsaeng in class. God forbid he actually take notes at any point during this class… or any class, for that matter. Not that Hoseok is judging him for it, or anything. He’s actually pretty impressed with the minimal effort his dongsaeng puts in for school. After all, this is one of the tougher school’s in the city… but, that could explain why Kihyun hates him so much.

Kihyun’s always been a try-hard, thus his being the president of the student council ever since he’d begun attending the school, and he absolutely hates seeing underachievers like Hyungwon getting by without having to try.

At least, that’s what Hoseok assumes. Though, he has no idea as to why Hyungwon eggs him on. The boy tends to be pretty non-confrontational, but he completely changes around Kihyun. He becomes immediately defensive, and willfully gets into fight after fight with him… Hoseok is at a complete loss as to why. It’s caused them both to have quite the reputation. The girls at the school have formed teams, dividing the student body into either Hyungwon or Kihyun supporters.

He supposes everyone just has to have someone like that in their lives, who grinds their gears beyond belief. He’s never had someone like that, but he’s definitely not complaining. He’s fine just watching a feud from afar. Besides, it’ll give them all some fun stuff to talk about at their ten-year reunion.

 

Despite scrolling through Twitter, Hyungwon can’t take his mind off his face-off with Kihyun in the cafeteria. He chuckles to himself as he remembers how pissed the shorter had gotten, how his tiny body had begun to literally shake with rage. Even though he absolutely hates how unavoidable seeing the boy every day is, he actually enjoys their sparring matches.

He’ll never admit it, but it’s really the only thing interesting about this lame school.