What is Love?

Tell Me What Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another boring day of class has ended. Kids were excitedly rushing down the hallway to leave the hellish place. But not Do Kyungsoo.

Like a routine, Kyungsoo's happily gripping her backpack strap while kicking some invisible stones off the floor as she patiently waits for the student she's been crushing for three weeks- Kim Jongin.

Following around the sun kissed student, Kyungsoo's been nagging the boy to date her. Stalking the male student in between their break time, a creep Kyungsoo has become.

"Hi!" Kyungsoo shyly greeted her crush when he finally passes by in front of her. Receiving no reply, the painted smile on her face started to falter.

Rejected for the nth time. Kyungsoo followed Jongin's trail as he cheerfully walks through the school corridor. Studying how the male student exchange conversation with his Oh Sehun friend.

With the constant rejection by her crush Kyungsoo became more persistent. An enthusiast with Jongin she became.

Normally, a teenager can have a little crush for one attractive guy to another. They say a crush only lasted for four months and Kyungsoo proved it true.

Fifth, Jongin is Kyungsoo's fifth crush for the school year but unlike her every other crush, Jongin is the first she made a move with but sadly her crush was uninterested with her.

Not a single thing about her can actually interest her crush, besides being a total creep, Kyungsoo is way behind from those fairytale princesses every guy has dreamed of.

She's flat-chested. She's short. Unlike every normal Korean she own this huge pair of round eyes which she at first thought as an asset but ended up as a turn off. There's just nothing special about her that can make Jongin fall.

 

 

The sun is burning Jongin's skin while the latter's uncomfortably lying at the school rooftop. Hiding from the creepy admirer, Jongin just found himself a perfect hideout.

Nobody has been visiting the school rooftop because of the heat instead him. Enduring the burning feeling Jongin has been blaming the obsess stalker he have.

If only that Kyungsoo girl doesn't bother him too much. If only she stop making him packed lunch. If only she stops crushing on him. Then maybe he is back to the air-conditioned school cafeteria having a peaceful lunch with Chanyeol and Sehun.

But it- the girl is persistent and it's tiring Jongin out.

With a little frown, Jongin almost jump out when the rooftop door opened with a loud sound. After seeing the Kyungsoo girl Jongin moved backwards to hide.

Internally questioning how the girl find him there when not even Chanyeol and Sehun pay attentions to his whereabouts during lunch breaks.

The rooftop is almost empty occupied with nothing but a few empty bench, there's nowhere to hide. For sure it won't take long for the girl to find him.

But even before Jongin can move he freezes after Kyungsoo spoke.

"No mom, I had made myself clear that I won't be staying with you. I had chosen dad with my free will. You cheated on him and you don't deserve me." Said Kyungsoo before hanging up.

Taking a few steps she sat on the empty bench opposite of Jongin's location and started to eat the pack lunch she made for her crush.

Jongin is taken aback. Sadness has never lingered on her facial expression despite of the rejections he gave her but today, instead of the naturally bright Kyungsoo, she became the saddest human being on the planet.

For the first time Jongin feels sympathy for the melancholic girl. The urge to make her feel better is there but scared that it might trigger her feelings for him to grow and Kim Jongin doesn't want it to happen.

But - his humanity has emanated he found his stubborn pair of feet walking towards her direction. Jongin let out a deep sigh of defeat before taking a seat just a few inches beside her.

His presence shook the girl. This has never happened before, Jongin approaching or paying attention to the girl.

Without looking at the girl, Jongin somehow notices her heart shaped smile painting her face when he took a seat.

"I came for my lunch." Looking at the blue sky he said.

"I apologize but I ate a few kimbap but here.." Pushing the lunchbox to his crush, Kyungsoo is glad that for the first time Jongin recognized her efforts.

"Why are you even here? Can't you see how freaking painful this place? The heat is a killer nowadays." Kyungsoo chuckled with his remarks, clearly he should answer the question himself since he was also in the place.

"You know, it's not the heat of sun that hurts us because nothing can equal to the pain our love one causes us." In a serious tone Kyungsoo said while looking up at the sky.

Jongin fathoms what she meant. It is not because of him thankfully. With what he accidentally heard Jongin understands how heartbroken she might be with her family situation.

"I hope it's not me." He jokingly said to ease the tension.

"Nah, totally not yours.. but-" Jongin turns to her anticipating with her next words after hearing the conjunction she used. "I admit you're partly at fault." She replied jokingly, turning her head to unexpectedly meet Jongin's gazes.

"WHAT?!" Kyungsoo let out a loud laughter, echoing throughout the rooftop staring Jongin's dumbstruck expression.

"I'm quite hurt that you'd rather suffer this monstrous heat than eat the pack lunch I prepared." After regaining her composure she said.

Jongin throwed her a guilty look at that. This might be a wrong timing to reject the girl but they both needed this talk and Jongin is grabbing this opportunity to seriously turn her down.

"Yeah.. I apologize but Kyungsoo.." Jongin sighed, skeptical if being honest with her will truly help them settle this whatever uncomfortable situation they are in or rather uncomfortable feelings he have for the girl. "I would appreciate it if you'd stop this.." She nods. Kyungsoo gave him a forced smile.

"I understand." Kyungsoo said cutting him off before Jongin can utter those hurtful words, retreating her gaze away from him. "Thank you for being honest."

"Thank you for understanding too." Jongin smiled in relief. Finishing off the food she brought.

"And don't feel bad about the lunch boxes, our helper made them." She lied. It is unnecessary for her lie but she feels the urge to lie maybe to lessen the impact of the pain.

Jongin chuckled.

That is how Kyungsoo stopped chasing the man.

 

 

Jongin's life returned to normal, Kyungsoo stopped her obsessions with him and most importantly, he doesn't have to endure the tortures of the heat of the sun during lunchtime.

Even though they had their closure, they were both contented with what they have. Whenever they meet along the way, they would always give the other a bright smile. Greeting each other casually. It is way much better than what they have before.

Kyungsoo stopped being a creepy stalker, Jongin stopped being an . They became friendly with each other. Their set of friends is quick to notice and is left oblivious about their accidental rooftop rendezvous.

Months have passed. Winter has come. Jongin has long forgotten about Kyungsoo. With their conflicting schedules, their path barely meets. Jongin is busy with his basketball practice while drama club has been eating Kyungsoo's time.

Until one day, Jongin is shivering, illegally smoking a stick cigarette inside school property to warm up his cold body wrapped up with two layers of winter jacket.

He and his stupid friend, Sehun was planning to meet up at the school rooftop but the younger is ten minutes late. Trying to be patient, Jongin decided to wait longer as his friend has this awful habit of being late.

"Hey! Not to expect I'll see you around here again." A familiar voice blurts out causing Jongin to turn around. Throwing his cigarette he smiled to the girl.

Eyeing the girl for a while, Jongin notices how she looks cute in a messy bun. Kyungsoo has never tied her short hair before.

"Hi! Long time no see!" He greeted with a full smile. Jongin is grinning from ear to ear, like a man who just met his long distance lover happy he becomes.

"Yeah.. and.. uh, you smoke?" Kyungsoo frowned after taking a seat next to an old crush. "I never knew you smoke."

"Aww. You're a bad stalker after all." Jongin disappointedly pouted to the girl who used to stalk him.

Blinking a few times, Kyungsoo is trying to digest what Jongin has done. Did he just freaking pouted in front of her? Letting out a beautiful smile realizing the dreamy pout he showed her is freaking real.

"Because you didn't give me a chance you idiot!" Kyungsoo pouted back stretching Jongin's cheeks casually. "But why are you here?" Seeing how comfortable Jongin has become around her, Kyungsoo is trying to be friendly with the male student.

"Sehun. We are about to meet." Jongin replied in between shivers not failing to see how Kyungsoo's thick brows to meet with malice. "Yah! Sehun and I were just friends." Kyungsoo burst out to laughter. Her round eyes curved down, vanishing as she laugh harder with the stupid defensive expression of the man.

"I didn't say anything Kim Jongin." Kyungsoo continue to laugh.

Not long after, Jongin find himself laughing along with Kyungsoo, hearing her contagious laughter he allows himself to go along.

"Ahem.. I'm sorry to disturb you guys but should I leave?" Disgustingly watching Kyungsoo and Jongin sharing a blissful moment, Sehun is surprised with the unexpected twist of story.

Frozen, Kyungsoo found her cue to leave. Saying goodbye to Jongin she excuse herself. Leaving Jongin with the glaring Sehun.

Jongin owes him an explanation.

And so his friend did.

Now his secret accidental rooftop rendezvous with Kyungsoo is no longer a secret.

 

 

Despite of the freezing weather, Jongin didn't miss a day to hang out at the rooftop just to have this unexplainable moment with Kyungsoo.

With the quick talk exchanged with her, Jongin found himself getting lured by Kyungsoo's invisible gravitational force. In short, Jongin has found himself longing or rather falling for his past stalker.

"What is Love?" Kyungsoo read aloud what seems to keep Jongin distraught. "That's weird. What kind of teacher would give such old school homework? It's terrible." Kyungsoo said, acting puking imagining how cheesy the topic is taking a seat close to Jongin.

"You're late." He only said, dumbstruck how pretty Kyungsoo today is. Unlike with her natural straight hair, Kyungsoo curled her hair today making her look so freaking pretty for Jongin to handle.

"Sorry, Calculus is being a I think I aged 10 years older." She pouted before stuffing a kimbap unto .

Jongin is whipped, leaving the poor man speechless for a few minutes. Kyungsoo is blabbering something Jongin lost focus, in slow motion he watches her face, studying her beautiful face, familiarizing every frown of her thick brows while her cheeks puff with the food.

"….and then she has the guts to give us an oral recitation in Calculus! I think I need to retake this class and take a different teacher." Kyungsoo continue to whines.

"You do my essay, I help you with Calculus." Jongin's offer instantly shut the noisy girl, leaving agape. "But it’s-"

"Deal. So when and where?" Without hesitations Kyungsoo asked.

There's this desperation in her voice while complaining about her Calculus grades and Jongin is there willing to help. She does his essay while Jongin do her math. It is a win-win situation for the both of them.

"My place? Tomorrow night?" Jongin is smiling yet inside he's stupidly gritting his teeth. That is a ing wrong move. Did he just indirectly invited Kyungsoo for a sleep over?

"Yeah sure." She agreed, killing the fears and regrets lingering Jongin's mind. "So where and what time do we meet?" Kyungsoo casually asked, hiding the excitement she feels.

"School gates at 4? After my basketball practice?" Jongin asks stretching his hand to the back rest of the bench.

"Can we meet like at 7? We have our club rehearsal I don't think it would end sooner. Knowing Jongdae, he's a perfectionist wanting everything to go his ways." She pouted.

"I can wait for you." Jongin said handing Kyungsoo his phone so they can exchange number.

After a few more talks and exchange of numbers. Kyungsoo run back to her classroom first followed by Jongin.

Like secret lovers, the two of them has been carefully meeting at the rooftop. They had never seen leaving or entering the place together for no exact reason. Even Sehun is raising an eyebrow to that.

 

 

Kyungsoo is happily laughing together with her drama club members as they walk towards the school gate. After a long and tiring day of practicing, finally Jongdae has decided to send them home.

"Hey!" Jongin called out to the oblivious girl.

Before running to Jongin, Kyungsoo said goodbye and hug her dumbstruck club mates.

"Hey! Sorry I'm kind of late. Did you wait long? Aren't you cold? Did you have your dinner?" Kyungsoo worriedly asked to the pale faced guy. His lips were purple-ish and dry because of the low temperature.

"I'm cold and I am hungry so eat now talk later?" The shivering male shamelessly took Kyungsoo's right hand. Interlocking their fingers together before putting it inside his winter jacket's pocket for warmth.

Do Kyungsoo is freaking dying as she literally stopped breathing, she didn't intentionally stopped but she just freaking forget how to. Kim Jongin, her one great crush is holding hands with her and to exaggerate her emotions but Do Kyungsoo is literally dying inside with overwhelming emotions.

Pulling the girl to the nearest fast food chain. Kyungsoo insisted to the stubborn man she'd buy him dinner as payment for waiting in the cold.

Whenever they meet, Kyungsoo and Jongin don’t fail to ask how their day went by. Inside the crowded fast food chain, different from the secluded school rooftop they remained the same.

Kyungsoo is nonstop talking, about what, Jongin is unsure despite of lovingly staring at the girl not a single word registers his mind, he's jut jaw dropped staring at her as if he's listening to the words she's saying.

Sehun has as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter