Chapter One

Summer Lovin'

Jooheon and Changkyun lie beside each other on a picnic blanket, staring up at the clouds and picking out shapes together.  Remnants of their meal are shoved to the side, long-forgotten as they’re both just happy to be spending time together.

“That one looks like headphones,” Jooheon comments, pointing up with an outstretched arm towards the cloud he’s speaking of. Changkyun giggles a little, and scoots a bit closer to rest his head atop the older’s chest.

“Of course you’d say that,” he sighs. He watches as the cloud drifts by in the pleasant summer breeze. His head lifts and falls along with Jooheon’s chest as he sighs.

“Then what do you think it looks like?” he prompts. Changkyun hums under his breath as he presses his lips together in thought.

“I think…” he muses aloud, a faint smile playing across his lips, “it looks like two bumblebees. See? That dotted line in between is their pathways, not a headband.” Jooheon chuckles in his throat, finding the younger’s answer completely typical yet also incredibly adorable. He readjusts his arm, choosing to wrap it around his boyfriend instead of to use it as a pillow.

“You’re right,” he relents, though he still doesn’t quite see it. Changkyun giggles delightedly at being called right. The reaction makes the white lie totally worth it, the pure, almost musical tones of mirth ringing in his ears. Changkyun drops an arm to encircle Jooheon’s waist, and he absentmindedly begins to play with his hyung’s shirt.

Silence falls around them, save for the birds singing in the nearby tree and the sound of the river flowing by. Changkyun isn’t typically one for sleeping anywhere but his bed, but he could definitely fall asleep like this. He feels so relaxed next to Jooheon, so at peace.

“This is nice,” he sighs, eyes still on the sky. Jooheon hums, the sound echoing in his chest. Jooheon’s hand comes up to begin petting at Changkyun’s hair, causing the younger’s eyes to fall shut in bliss.

 

It’s been only two weeks since school let out, but it’s been two weeks of utter heaven. The two have spent every free moment they could together, which has been a lot since they didn’t have school or part-time jobs keeping them apart. If Changkyun had been told only a year ago that he’d be spending his summer like this, with a boy he’s dating—his best friend, no less—he’d have laughed so hard he’d end up crying. But, now, he couldn’t imagine spending a day doing anything else.

That’s not even to mention how long it’s been since they’ve started dating.

“Hyung,” Changkyun begins as a thought comes to him, pulling away suddenly. Jooheon pouts confusedly, but sits up nonetheless. He recognizes by the light in his dongsaeng’s eyes that whatever he wants to say is important. “Do you know what’s exactly three weeks from now?”

Jooheon’s eyebrows crease together thoughtfully. He goes through a very long list of all the important dates he’s had to deal with throughout his life. It isn’t anyone’s birthday, no important music group’s debut anniversaries are coming up…

Oh, Jooheon things, his eyes widening in realization as he comes across the word ‘anniversary’. He sits up fully now, knowing just what the younger is speaking of.

“Of course,” he replies, attempting to play off his previous confusion. Changkyun gives him an entirely unconvinced look, and Jooheon can’t help but chuckle. “I mean,” he says, trying again, “how could I forget? It’ll be our six-month anniversary~” Changkyun’s face breaks out into a blazing smile, then, obviously relieved that Jooheon did actually remember.

“Good,” Changkyun sighs. “I thought for a minute there you had forgotten.” He puts on a pout for emphasis, only to earn an only-slightly-teasing coo from the older. Jooheon pulls at his cheek with a genuine smile, earning another giggle from the younger.

“Why do you ask?” Jooheon inquires, raising a curious brow. Changkyun shrugs, cocking his head to the side as his gaze flits up towards the tops of the trees.

“I don’t know,” he says honestly. “I just thought I’d point it out…” He then chuckles under his breath, adding, “I don’t know what I expected when we started dating, but I didn’t expect anything like this…” Jooheon smiles faintly at the sweet boy he gets to call his own, unconsciously scooting a bit closer. Jooheon brings up a hand, and slowly caresses Changkyun’s jaw. Changkyun leans into the touch, closing his eyes as his heart swells within his chest.

“Neither did I,” Jooheon agrees, “but I’m not complaining. Not at all.”

“Me neither,” Changkyun mumbles. His eyes lazily open, inadvertently giving Jooheon that half-lidded gaze that makes his heart skip a beat.

Next thing he knows, Jooheon is leaning closer, closing the distance between them to press his lips against the boy’s. Changkyun hums at the feeling of the older’s lips on his, instinctively moving closer to apply some pressure. The younger swipes out his tongue questioningly, and Jooheon answers all to easily.

 

Before either knows it, another half-hour has passed. Changkyun pulls away, realizing he’s ended up straddling Jooheon as the older is reclined on the blanket once more. He looks around a little, his mind coming out of a daze that always seems to take over whenever he’s kissing Jooheon. He meets Jooheon’s gaze, and the two share a small laugh. Changkyun kisses him once more, twice more, and then a third time before finally forcing himself to pull away. He moves so he isn’t sitting on his hyung anymore. Jooheon’s gaze never leaves him as he sits up.

“We better go,” Changkyun sighs, already moving to pick up the to-go containers and put them into the basket. He hears Jooheon chuckle behind him. The older stands from his spot on the blanket, and waits for his boyfriend to finish before picking up and folding it to put away.

 

The two leave the riverside, hand-in-hand, neither able to keep from smiling as they go.