1/1

Light up the Dark

It’s been 6 months since Taehyung started travelling. 6 months of going to breathtaking places yet he still feels like something’s missing. His friends have been very supportive of his wish to travel but he didn’t tell them how long he’ll be gone. He only thought about bringing only his wallet, passport and phone. Most of his stuff reminds him of Jungkook but Jimin told him to bring a few clothes and just buy new ones while he’s travelling.

 

6 months ago before Taehyung left Korea

 

Taehyung wished he didn’t knew what Jungkook wants to talk about. They grew apart for the past few months and Taehyung had a feeling that Jungkook might’ve fallen in love with someone else.

 

Taehyung got lost in his thoughts that he didn’t even realize that he’s already in front of their apartment. Taehyung wanted to run away, avoid what Jungkook want to talk about.

 

“I’m home.” Taehyung said as he hug Jungkook from behind. “Welcome home, tae.” Something was off, Taehyung thought. It has been a while since they had time for each other. It felt like they were strangers during the past few months.

 

“I gotta tell you something, hyung.” Jungkook says as he hold Taehyung’s hand and sits down. It makes Taehyung nervous whenever Jungkook is serious. They may have been dating for 3 years now but the thought that Jungkook would leave him is still in Taehyung’s mind.

 

“What is it?” Taehyung said, trying not to sound nervous. He smiled at him, trying to hide the fact that he is hurting. Knowing that the guy he loved so much fell in love with someone else. “I don’t think this is working anymore.” There it is, he finally said it. Taehyung thought.

 

“Am I not enough?” Taehyung asked, he stared at Jungkook and smiled bitterly, “Did I do something wrong?” Taehyung wanted to cry but he held his tears back. “No, you didn’t do anything wrong Tae. I--I fell in love with someone else.” Jungkook sighed, Taehyung was no longer smiling.

 

“I know. I saw how you looked at him, Kook. It was how you looked at me before.” Taehyung said, tears starts falling down his cheeks yet he still smiled at him. “I’m sorry.” Jungkook stands up and goes to Taehyung, apologizing won’t heal the pain Taehyung is feeling right now.

 

Taehyung smiled even when he’s having a hard time at work, he smiled even when his family was against his relationship with Jungkook. He still smiled even when his grandmother died, a bittersweet smile.

 

“I was waiting for you to tell me, that you’re in love with someone else. That you don’t love me anymore.” Taehyung pushed Jungkook and stands far away from him, “But you didn’t. I--I thought you rejected him, but you didn’t.” It wasn’t the first time that Jungkook saw him cry, but it was the first time that he didn’t smile the pain away.

 

“I didn’t cheat on you, I don’t want to date him when I’m still dating you.” Jungkook says as he slowly walks towards Taehyung, “I loved you, and every second that I was with you were the best moments of my life Tae.” Jungkook rests his forehead on Taehyung’s, “I’m sorry for not telling you sooner. I know apologizing won’t lessen the pain you’re feeling, but still, I’m so sorry Tae.” Taehyung wanted to push Jungkook away, but his hugs were so warm and felt like home.

 

Taehyung cupped Jungkook’s cheeks and stared at him for god knows how long and let out a sigh, “I’ll have Jimin pick my stuff tomorrow.” Taehyung walks towards the table where his stuff is and grabs them and leaves the key to their apartment.

 

Jungkook held Taehyung’s wrist and turns him around to face him, “Stay. Please.” Taehyung only stared at Jungkook before removing his hand on his wrist. Staying would only hurt Taehyung more. He doesn’t want to spend the entire night knowing it’ll be the last time.

 

“I won’t be able to let you go if I stay here.” Taehyung said as he fixes his jacket, “I won’t be happy knowing that this will be the last I’m spending the night with you.” Taehyung says as he held Jungkook’s cheeks.

 

Taehyung let out a sigh and walks toward the door and leaves. As he walks towards the elevator, Taehyung here’s someone running. “Tae, I forgot to tell you something.” Jungkook says catching his breathe.

 

He walks towards Taehyung and hugged him, “You look better when you smile.” Jungkook then pushed Taehyung inside the elevator not even giving him the chance to process what he said just now.

 

It was the last he saw Jungkook. A month later, Taehyung decided to travel wherever his mind tells him to. Jimin doesn’t know when he’ll be back, and travelling might help him let go of his lingering feelings.

 

Taehyung shakes the memory off his mind, he still had their photos on his laptop. All of the gifts Jungkook gave him was thrown out when he moved in with Jimin and their photos were the last thing he has. He then closes the laptop and stretches his arms. Its has been 2 days and all he ever did was work (and look at their photos).

 

Taehyung walks towards the balcony of his hotel room and looks down on the street, it’s such a waste to just stay inside his room. Taehyung closes the door of his balcony, grabs his belongings and heads out of his hotel room to go sightseeing.

 

**

 

Yoongi has been travelling for 3 years now and he only stays in Korea for a week enough to clean his apartment and wash his clothes and he sets out to travel to a different country again. His last stop is Denmark before going back to Korea for good. It’s hard producing music while travelling, Yoongi thought.

 

“Oh, so after 3 years of travelling to different countries and only staying in Korea for a week you finally decided that Denmark will be your last stop?” Hoseok called him at the right moment; it was already late at night in Denmark. “Yeah, why are you so shock?” Yoongi asked, Hoseok probably thought that he’d be travelling for another year.

 

“Well, I thought you’ll be travelling for another year. Plus, it’s been so long since you stayed in Korea longer than a week.” Yoongi knew what Hoseok meant. To Yoongi, travelling was his way of moving on from his ex-girlfriend. And during his travels, he writes and composes music and sends it to Namjoon. “How long do you plan on staying there?” Hoseok asked, he knows Yoongi only stays for 2 weeks and travels to a different country again.

 

“A month probably, I haven’t been to Denmark yet.” Hoseok has asked him why he didn’t go to Denmark when he was travelling Europe last year, Yoongi wanted Denmark to be the last stop and it would be the country where he’ll let go of her, says Yoongi.

-

It’s rare for Yoongi to wake up early in the morning. Today, he wakes up early in the morning and opens the door of his balcony and look at the street below admiring everything he sees. Once he finishes his coffee, he heads back inside his room, took a shower and heads out to take photos and go sightseeing.

 

Namjoon once joined him on his Europe trip. He was glad that Namjoon joined him, except for the part where Namjoon almost lost passport. During their stay in London, they met Seokjin who’s working at a bakery for a year now.

 

Yoongi would wake up late in the morning alone and he would find Namjoon hanging out at where Seokjin is working. Namjoon and Yoongi leaves the following day to France, “Look, if you want to stay here for a little bit longer, it’s cool. As long as you don’t lose your belongings.” Yoongi says while he packs his stuff. “I haven’t even said a word, hyung.” Namjoon said closing the book he is reading.

 

Namjoon and Seokjin went to the airport with Yoongi to see him off, right before Yoongi left, “Namjoon, you like him. Don’t even try denying it.” Yoongi then taps Namjoon on his shoulder and leaves. “That hyung really knows me too much.” Namjoon says as he waves goodbye to Yoongi.

 

**

It’s late in the afternoon when Taehyung realized that he hasn’t eaten anything except for a cup of coffee. He walks around the busy street and finds a restaurant with a few customers inside.

 

Taehyung being the friendly person he is, he made new friends during his stay in Spain. He met Bogum and Minjae and since then they’ve been sending each other messages. He was really happy that he made new friends on his travels.

 

While enjoying his meal and looking at the people passing by the restaurant, a guy passes by him and Taehyung couldn’t help but look at the guy that passed by him just now. He’s intimidating and has good looks, Taehyung thought. But that didn’t stop him from trying to be friends with the Korean guy (He’s sure the guy is Korean ‘cause he heard him speak while the guy was on the phone).

 

Taehyung stands up from his sit and approaches the guy, “Hey, you here with someone?” Taehyung asked, the guy looked at him with a weird look and responded with a no. “Is it alright to sit here?” Taehyung asked and thankfully the guy nodded. “I’m sorry, you probably think I’m weird, my name is Taehyung by the way.” Taehyung says as he reach out his hand.

 

“Yoongi, nice to meet you.” There was a moment of silence before Taehyung speaks up again, “What brings you here in Denmark?” Taehyung asked, he always asks the same question to the people he met. “It’s my final stop before returning to Korea for good” Yoongi replied.

 

“So you’ve been to a lot of countries considering that you travelled for 3 years and you skipped Denmark during your trip in Europe?” Taehyung asked, Denmark was the next stop on his list on his Europe trip. Yoongi nods, “I was supposed to go here with someone for a celebration, but we went our separate ways so here I am, dropping our memories here.” Yoongi says, “We’re somehow on the same boat, huh.” Taehyung replied and looked down on his coffee and smiled.

 

**

 

They walked around the busy street taking pictures, telling stories of their travels. “You should stay longer than a week hyung! You should see your friends other than cleaning your house.” Taehyung said, but he himself hasn’t return to Korea ever since he started travelling. “Speak for yourself, it’s been half a year and you haven’t even went back to Korea to change the clothes you brought with you.” Yoongi says.

 

“Ah, most of my stuff reminds me of him so I didn’t bring much when I left. Jimin told me to just buy new ones if I don’t want to bring a lot of clothes.” Taehyung said while he looks at his camera. “That Jungkook guy, you loved him so much, huh?” Yoongi asked, staring at him. “I did.” Taehyung smiled, unlike the smile he saw earlier, the smile he showed was full of sadness.

 

“How can you just smile like that?” Yoongi asked, he couldn’t smile when his ex-girlfriend left him, he was so miserable. “Because he told me that I look the best when I smile. Well, not just him but Jimin as well.” Taehyung said, “Shall we continue our sightseeing, hyung?” Taehyung asked as he puts his camera inside his bag, “My memory card is full so I’ll just accompany you.” Yoongi nods and they continue walking around the busy streets.

**

It was late in the evening and they both finished eating their dinners when they decided to return to their hotels. “Where are you staying hyung? I go this way.” Taehyung says and pointed to his left, “Oh, my hotel is that way as well.” Yoongi says, Taehyung probably stays at the same hotel as he is, he thought. “Oh, if it’s this way then let’s go.” Taehyung says and they start walking back to the hotel.

 

After a good 30 minute walk, they reached the hotel where Taehyung is staying and coincidentally, that is where Yoongi is staying as well. “Here we are! This is the hotel I’m staying.” Taehyung says as he faces Yoongi. “This is where I’m also staying.” Taehyung opened his eyes wide, he couldn’t believe that Yoongi is also staying at the same hotel.

 

“That’s good then!” Taehyung then grabs Yoongi by his wrist and drags him inside the hotel. It has been a while since Yoongi had someone to travel with and he’s glad that he met Taehyung on his last stop. “This is my floor, I’ll see you tomorrow hyung!” Taehyung bid goodbye to him as the elevator door closes.

 

Yoongi finally arrives at his room. He drops his bag on the floor and changes his clothes. It was fun roaming the city with Taehyung. He had fun when Namjoon was travelling with him, but it seems it was more fun with Taehyung. His phone suddenly rings, it’s probably Hoseok, he thought. He grabs his phone and Namjoon was calling him this time.

 

“Namjoon-ah, what’s up?” Namjoon would call to check up on him or talk about producing music and asking how was {insert country}. “How is Denmark, hyung? Hoseok said it’s your last stop before coming back here.” Namjoon said, “It’s amazing, took a lot of picture. I met a guy named Taehyung. He started travelling 6 months ago.” Yoongi says, he remembers Taehyung’s smile (and that made him smile again).

 

“Hyung, this is the first I heard you talk about people you meet on your travels.” He has never talked to Namjoon about the people he met on his travels. Yoongi rarely talks about the people he met on his travels.  “That kid approached me while I was eating my lunch. It was the first time someone approached me to say hi.” Yoongi says, he met people on his travels but no one approached him the way Taehyung did.

 

“That Taehyung must’ve met new friends while travelling.” Most of their conversation would be producing music and Seokjin. Namjoon never fails to mention Seokjin who’s always sitting or lying beside him. “I am eating properly hyung, don’t worry too much.” Yoongi says as he hears Seokjin yelling to eat properly. “It must late at night over there, we’ll talk when you’re back here hyung.” Namjoon said and hangs up the call.

 

**

It was late in the afternoon when Taehyung and Yoongi decided to stop by a cafe to rest. Yoongi took a lot of pictures that his memory card is now full and he is thankful that they decided to stop by a cafe to take a rest before heading out again. He searches through his bag and finds a memory card thinking that it’s the empty one he brought with him.

 

Taehyung sees Yoongi’s expression change as he arrives back at their table, “is something wrong, hyung?” Yoongi cleared his throat before replying, “Oh, uhh, nothing’s wrong. I thought the memory card I found was empty but it’s full of old photos I forgot to delete.”

 

“Is it the person you’re supposed to with here?” Taehyung asked, he knew it was the person base on Yoongi’s sudden change of mood earlier. “Yeah, it’s her.” Yoongi said, the silence was suffocating Yoongi. It had been long since he felt this kind of silence. “What happened hyung? Why didn’t that person come with you?” It’s a long story, Yoongi thought. But it wouldn’t hurt to tell him, right?

 

3 years ago

 

Everything is going well for you and Yoongi. His dream of becoming a producer finally came true and you are now on your last year of college. Yoongi got busier and he now comes home late at night. He would either find you asleep or doing your school works.

 

Despite Yoongi’s busy schedule, he never forgets to spend time with you even if he’s tired from work. He would wake up early in the morning and cook breakfast for you with a note before he leaves for work. He’s a thoughtful and sweet guy, you thought as you stare at him.

 

Months passes by, you got busier studying for your finals and finishing your thesis. You would make your coffee in the morning and leave for the class, Yoongi would do the same as well. Even during Yoongi’s day off, you would see him working on a song and you’d be focus on your thesis. Days, weeks, months went by like that.

 

Yoongi finally got a week off from work and he could finally spend the time with you. It’s been a long time since you and Yoongi went out on a date. Yoongi grabs his phone from his bag and sends you a message asking if you were free. But you weren’t, you had a lot of stuff to do at the campus that day. Yoongi understands, so he went home and instead of sleeping, he opened his laptop and worked on a song he was secretly composing.

 

Yoongi planned the trip to Denmark for a long time now and he’s excited for this trip. Just thinking about it makes him smile. But a week passed by and Yoongi had to work again, the date was forgotten, you barely see each other during the weekends. Yoongi would sometimes fall asleep at the studio and you would sometimes sleep at your classmates apartment.

 

It was a rainy day, it was Yoongi’s off from work and your classes were cancelled that day. But no one was talking. Yoongi was focusing on his work and you had to start over your thesis. “Yoongi, can we talk?”

 

Yoongi’s focus turned to you and nods his head, “What do you want to talk about, babe?” Yoongi asked, it was the first time in months that you had a serious talk with him. “I don’t think this is working anymore.” You sighed, Yoongi’s really busy with work and you got even more school work than before and you were barely seeing each other.

 

“What do you mean by that?” Yoongi asked, he knew what she meant, but Yoongi wanted to be sure if that’s what she really is talking about. “Us, Yoongi. I don’t think this relationship is going to work anymore. We’re both busy and we barely see each other during our breaks.” Yoongi heard another sigh from you, true. He thought.

 

“I love you Yoongi, you know that but--” Yoongi cuts her off, “I know. I guess we lost track of time.” It was a mutual understanding. Both agreed to breaking up. That night, the silence was suffocating him. He couldn’t sleep so he worked until sunrise.

 

As soon as the sun rises, Yoongi grabbed his luggage and threw his stuff inside and left a note that he’ll pick up his stuff later. Yoongi finished the song he was supposed to sing for her. It’ll be the first time he’ll sing, he thought. He moved the file somewhere inside his external drive and never opened it again.

 

A month has passed and Yoongi decided to go on a trip. But before he left, he made one last stop at your campus, and by chance, he saw you walking towards the entrance. Yoongi wished that you would find someone who would never let time pass.

 

“Have you ever opened the file or did you delete it?” Taehyung asked,”I deleted the file while I was cleaning up my external drive. Got too many useless files so yeah.” Yoongi said. “Why’d you delete it?” Taehyung asked, Yoongi haven’t opened the file in a long time since the break up and it was about time to let the past go. “It was time for me to let the past go.” Yoongi smiled, it felt like a weight has been lifted off of him.

 

“How ‘bout you, have you let the past go?” Yoongi asked, Taehyung looked at him before answering, “I guess so, I’m really happy right now.” and smiled at him, Yoongi liked Taehyung’s smile a lot. “Shall we continue our sightseeing and shopping, hyung?” Taehyung asked, putting his wallet and phone back in his bag. “Yeah.”

 

Taehyung and Yoongi would spend most of the time at a cafe either talking about stuff or just focusing on their laptop editing the photos they’ve taken. Out of all the countries Yoongi went, Denmark was the best, not only did he get to see such beautiful places but he also met Taehyung who would sometimes annoy him in the middle of the night. Yoongi got 3 days left to enjoy his stay in Denmark before returning to Korea.

 

It was different from the first time he arrived in Denmark, he was sure he won’t feel sad once he leaves Denmark. But then he met Taehyung, and he wanted to spend more time with him. He wished he informed Namjoon that he might extend his stay, but he didn’t. He enjoyed his stay in Denmark that he forgot to even check on his actual work.

 

“Where’s your next destination?” Yoongi asked, Taehyung only started travelling 6 months ago and he probably wants to travel for a bit longer. “I’m not sure where yet, hyung. Oh! You leave in 3 days right?” Taehyung asked, he probably kept track of time, Yoongi thought, “Yeah, I had fun this past few weeks.” Yoongi said, they spend the rest of the afternoon at the cafe doing work quietly.

 

The walk back to the hotel was quiet. He felt sad now that Yoongi has only 3 days left in Denmark. Taehyung had so much fun spending time with Yoongi, it was the first time in 6 months since he had so much fun like that. As they reach Taehyung’s floor, the only thing Taehyung said was goodnight.

 

Yoongi didn’t see Taehyung the next morning. So he spends the entire day replying to his e-mails at a nearby cafe, talking to Hoseok or Namjoon and producing songs. It was late in the evening now when Yoongi and Taehyung bumped into each other at the elevator.

 

“Didn’t see you this morning.” Yoongi said, he wanted to ask if he was avoiding him but he didn’t. “Oh, I decided to sleep more this morning.” Taehyung said, and none tried to talk after that.

 

The elevator reached Taehyung’s floor, but he didn’t step out of the elevator, he hears Taehyung sigh before speaking, “Can I stay with you for the night, hyung?” well, Yoongi definitely did not expect that. But instead of replying, Yoongi nodded. “Cool! I’ll just go grab some stuff and I’ll head straight to your hotel room. See ya later, hyung!” Taehyung said and steps out of the elevator in time.

 

What was I thinking?!, Taehyung said to himself. He already planned everything, he was going to turn off his phone so he won’t wake up at the sound of his alarm, he would realize that Yoongi already left and it would be less sad for him. “Taehyung removes all the stuff inside his backpack and stuffs a few clothes and other stuff.

 

As soon as Yoongi reached his hotel room, he immediately tidied up his room. He was speechless and shock that Taehyung wanted to stay here. He then heard a knock on his door, it’s probably Taehyung. “Your room is a lot cleaner than mine, hyung.” Taehyung said as he drops his bag on the floor. “It was messy earlier, wasn’t expecting you to stay here for the night.” Yoongi said, “You can go to sleep first. I gotta finish this work.”

 

So Taehyung did, but he couldn’t sleep at all. He lied on the bed, wide awake. He then heard Yoongi switching the lights off, getting ready to sleep. “Hyung, are you still awake?” Taehyung asked, he regrets what he said earlier.

 

“Yeah.” Yoongi said, Taehyung was glad. Talking to Yoongi would probably help him go to sleep. “Why, cant sleep?” Yoongi asked, Taehyung has a lot on his mind and one of those is Yoongi. “Can I lie there beside you? Don’t worry, I won’t sleep on your bed.” Taehyung said, he wanted to spend this last night with Yoongi close to him.

 

“Yeah.” As soon as Taehyung lies down beside Yoongi, their backs facing each other, it was another silence. “Something bothering you Taehyung?” Yoongi asked, Taehyung would feel better after talking to Yoongi.

 

“Nothing, I just can’t sleep for some reason.” Taehyung said, but Yoongi knew something’s bothering him. “You’re lying.” Yoongi said and turns around to face Taehyung who’s back is still facing him. “What’s bothering you Taehyung-ah?” Yoongi asked and waits for Taehyung to answer.

 

You. “Well, I had fun this past few weeks and I just realize that you leave tomorrow.” he wanted Yoongi to stay for another day but that would be selfish of him. Taehyung turned around and faced Yoongi, who wasn’t convinced with what he just said. “What?” Taehyung asked, he was bothered by the look Yoongi gave. But instead of giving Taehyung an answer, Yoongi pulled him closer and hugged him.

 

“Shut up and go to sleep.” Yoongi said, it felt warm. Taehyung smiled and blushed a bit. He was not expecting this, he thought. He knew Yoongi was still awake, he hoped that Yoongi feels the same way he feels. “Buy me a coffee when I get back to Korea.” Taehyung said and faces the other side pulling Yoongi closer to him.

 

“You could’ve just said to ask you out on a date.” Yoongi said, but before he could pull Taehyung closer than before, “Read between the lines, hyung.” Taehyung said and went back to his bed. “Sleep on your own.” Taehyung said and covered himself in the blanket. “Right then, good night Tae.”

 

3 days came by so fast and it was time for Yoongi to leave. All they did was stay inside the hotel talking or just cuddling. Yoongi is not a cuddler but he found himself cuddling with Taehyung. “I’ll meet you back in Korea.” Yoongi said and kissed his forehead. “And when you’re back, I’ll properly ask you out on a date.” Yoongi said and smirked.

 

“I’ll see you later, Yoongi.” Taehyung said, “Have a safe flight.”

 

Well, 1 year later, Taehyung finally returned to Korea and Yoongi finally, ing, finally asked him out on a proper date.

 

Oh, Namjoon and Hoseok kept bothering him about Taehyung when he came back to Korea.