The Beginning and The End

The Last Melody of Autumn (Oneshot)

 

 

She was staring blankly at the scenery in front of her. The teenage girl was on her wheelchair and her hands were clenched into a fist. She was wearing a bright blue dress with ribbons pattern on it. The outdoor was somewhat relaxing for her.

Watching the birds flying in the sky, the brown leaves kept on failing from the tress as the wind blew them all away. You can say that autumn is almost setting it. Her black hair moves according to the breeze and her bangs was covering half of her eyes. But you still can see half of her face. Her innocent pale face.

She moved her head to the right. suddenly changes into a smirk and she was smiling. Then she turns her head to the left and frowns appeared on her face. She then looked down. Sobbing could be heard. She kept her head down and brought her hands to her face and was covering her eyes. Her actions were unpredictable and the word crazy always popped on you mind when you see this young lady. She finally looked up and looked around before rolling the wheels on her wheelchair and brought herself into the hospital.

I am Yura. I was admitted to the hospital because of my broken left leg. I was involved in an accident 2 weeks ago. Doctor said I may be paralyzed but I proved them wrong. The progress will not be that much but at least, I can move my toes. For those two weeks I kept on seeing that girl on thw wheel chair going back and forth from the hospital’s park to her room.

She is weird. Really weird and she was creeping me out.  For the first time I saw her from my ward’s window, I thought I’ve been seeing things but seeing how she always been there doing her own things. I realized she was not a ghost. Lots of thought kept on playing on my mind when I saw her outside my window. I want to meet her but I have this habit on freaking myself out with lots of negative thoughts. What happen if I freaked out and end up making her mad or upset. No, this can’t be happening. It'll be much better if I dont see her at all.

 

The next morning I wake up hoping that I could see her again. I take my crutches beside my bed and make my way towards the window. To my surprise, there’s no her. Not even her shadow. I stretched my neck and starts looking for her. No. No sign of her at all. Maybe she went to the toilet I thought.

 

“Miss Yura. It’s time for your check up.” A nurse popped her head into my room.

“Sure. Be there in a few minutes” I said  and starts preparing myself.

 

I walked with the nurse towards the doctor’s room. She told me to wait in the waiting room because the doctor is dealing with another patient. I did what she told me. I sit on one of the chair then something came rolling on my leg. I picked it up. It’s a small yellow ball. A voice sprang into my ear

 

“Can you please give the ball back to me?”

“Okay” I said

 

I turned my body around and I swear I almost cursed because of the girl. She was there. Sitting behind me. I have to stay strong I told myself. I reached out my hand and give the girl the ball. She takes it and thanked me.

I stared at her.

 

“You might think I’m weird right?” She broke the silence

“No” I stuttered

“I saw you. From the window. You should learn how to stalk people better. You were being too obvious” She smiled

 

Oh my God! She knew? I thought she didn’t saw me! Okay I’m creeping out. I talked to myself.

I gain my courage and I asked her why she kept on being outside at the park and do all the weird actions. She looked at me and told me that she didn’t know why when she did that. She smiled. She looked to the left which a piano was located there.

 

“You play piano?” I asked.

She shook her head and asked the same question to me. I told her I do play piano.

I can tell that she’s looking at me even though her bangs are covering her eyes. She asked me to play it so I did. I pressed the key and starts playing. I was so immersed in playing the piano piece that made me didn’t notice she moved her wheelchair beside me. She clapped her hands and smile.

It was the first time I saw her be that bright. I just smile and look around avoiding her eyes. Thoughts are going around my mind once again. She took my hand that made me surprised again. She looked up to my shocked face and she was hesitating to say something. I was being too impatient so I told her to speak up. She gave out a small laugh.

 

“Will you be my friend?”

 

Lots of shocking moments in one day. I swear I could die. At that point, she moved her bangs to the side and I swear that her face it the most prettiest and the most innocent I’ve ever seen.

 

“Please” She said.

I said yes.

 

Since then we starts hanging around each other. It’s been 3 or more since me and Hanna become friends. Yes that’s her name. She is 18 years old just like me. One day she brought me to the park. This time she only smiles looking up at the moon.

 

“Hanna” I called her.

 

She looked at me. I came closer to her.

 

“Where are your parents exactly?” She looked down.

 

She starts talking and told me that her mom died in the car accident. She manage to stay alive but her legs were broken and her mother is unlucky. She died instantly after the accident.

 

"How?" I said

"My mom was driving me to my first piano class and it just happened. It was so quick. I lost someone I loved just like that. For an eighteen year old like me. I can understand the whole thing. Makes the cut in my heart grow bigger and bigger. And the pain that I feel is bring me to the dark side of the world"

 

Hanna said with teary eyed. I regretted myself for asking her that. She asked me to sit on the bench and starts telling me about her family.

 

She told me that he was born in an educated family. They hated music especially her dad. She can’t resist her love for music and she tried really hard to resist music in her life but she can’t. She had to listen to music secretly but she got caught by her dad.

She was beaten really bad. She made a promise to her dad that when she earn A’s all in her test, she wanted to learn piano. Her dad cursed her and hit her for acting like that. He thought that her actions were disrespectful. Her mom protected her and agreed with her. For an only child like her, it’s really hard to satisfy both of her parents.

No matter how much she hated her dad, she still loves him. Why? because he is her dad.

 

She said when her mom died, she kept on blaming herself and so was his dad. She was under pressure 

"He abandoned me. I abandoned music. But seeing you playing piano reminds me of myself."

“You like music don’t you” she said.

I nodded.

 

"When I abandoned music from my life, I feel empty. I guess all the weird actions that I did was because of my depression and longing for music in my life. My mom and dad is really like a music to me. When the music is gone, I am lost." Hanna said crying.

 

I hugged her.

"I’ll bring the music back into your life" I said.

 

Every single day from that day. I kept on bringing Hanna to the waiting room and teach her piano and let her hear some random songs that I play. I introduce her to my parents. They like her. I swear she was the best friend I’ve ever had.

 

Yes my leg is getting better but Hanna seems worst. She told me that, she only had broken legs but why is she becoming much and more weak and pale. I shook the negative thoughts out of my head. From the day I became friends with Hanna, I became stronger and braver. Maybe one day, once my legs are fine enough to run and hers too, we can do anything together.

Do music together, play together, and even dance together.

Do sleepovers and more.

I shake my thoughts when I see Hanna coming out from the examination room.

 

“How was it?” I asked

“It was okay. Doctor said I am improving” Her face doesn't look convincing though

“Good!” I said.

 

Dont want to ruin the mood so I start pushing her wheelchair towards the park.

I start conversing with her making her laugh and then she did the same thing too. I told her what I planned for our future once we get better and I asked her to be best friend forever.

 

{Listen}

Hanna just smiles making me confused. She doesn’t like me I thought.

Hanna finally speaks up.

“Sure best friends forever. But I might have to stay longer here”

“But you said that you are better now” I said trying to look on the positive side

“Yes. But my leg is not fully healed like yours.” Then I remembered than I’m getting out from the hospital in 2 days.

“You can still visit me you know” She said.

I nodded and hugged her.

 

It’s been 2 weeks since I saw Hanna. I had to follow my parents overseas.

I did tell Hanna about it and she told me to learn some more piano piece and play it to her by the time she gets back.

 

But she was  being weird for the past few days.

She didn't text me nor call me.

She didn't even picked up my calls. Maybe she's mad for leaving her?

 

The moment I arrived at my house, I quickly told my dad to bring me to the hospital.

I missed Hanna so much. I brought her some souvenirs.

A matching best friend bracelet.

 

I'm sure she’ll like it.

I ran towards her room with a smile and greeted the nurses along the way.

I opened the door and she was gone.

 

“Hanna? Hanna?” I called her. No answer.

“We moved her to another room” A nurse said

“Why” I said.

 

The nurse told me that Hanna’s condition had become worst. My heart shattered, my head is spinning and I swear the beating of my heart had gone a thousand times faster.

I ran to the room that she was in.

I stopped.

I see her.

She is right there.

On the bed. 

Lying lifeless on the bed

 

Why God? Why her?

 

I walked slowly to the glass window as my tears falling down from my cheek.

“Hanna” I called.

“Miss Yura.” A nurse came up to me and hand me a letter.

 

I opened it.

It is a letter from Hanna.

(listen to it and read the letter slowly. The meaning of the song it exactly what Hanna feel at the time)

 

 

“ Dear Yura my best friend in the whole wide world.

By the time you get this letter, you can see that I am on the bed fighting for my life.

But before I give up. I wanted to see you for the last time.

You had kept me companied for the past, I don’t know how long but it feels like forever.

I enjoy the moment I had with you. I cherish you. Thanks for bringing music into my life and my parents back to me.

Even though I can’t see them, music made me feel like they are with me the whole time.

My heart aches when I know that my I can’t live any longer.

Doctor said I damaged my lungs and heart because of the accident.

I thanked God for letting me live for a few months because I got to meet you.

I am sorry for not telling you, Yura. Oh, have you learned any new songs?

Can I ask for a favor? Please play the song beside me like right now.

Please Yura. I’ll wait for you in my sleep.

I love you best friend, I mean sister.

My lovely sister ” 

 

 

I plopped down on the floor crying. Someone held my shoulder. It was a man.

“Yura. Please do it. Please” He said kneeling beside me.

“Im begging you. As her dad, I dont want to see her suffering. Please”

I looked at him and stood up.

 

I went to the piano located beside her starts playing.

I looked at her and holding my tears back.

I closed my eyes and played with my soul.

 

I remembered everything that we did together.

I remembered laughing with her.

I remembered making promises and planning futures with her.

 

She was my best friend and my sister. As I finished playing the piece.

I looked at her and then the machine. It was really weak the line is almost straight. I held her hand and said

 

“I want you to go now.

Seeing you like this makes my heart breaks.

Let’s see each other later. I guess God have some other plans for us.

I love you Hanna. You will always be the best memory in my life.

Go on. Rest. You had fight for too long.

Bye baby”.

 

I looked up and saw the line is straight. No beating in her heart. She’s gone. I forced myself to smile.

I let go of her hand and put a bracelet I bought for her in her hand.

I make my way outside the hospital to the park and take a deep breath.

 

"Even though Hanna is gone, she’s with me in my heart.

She taught me how to love music and she taught me friendship and love.

She changed me for the better."

 

”Hanna” I yelled.

The last brown leaves fell from the tree

 

I looked up into the sky and smile. 

 

 

"Autumn may end now but our Friendship is Eternity."