1.

In A Heartbeat

 

Luhan rushed to the bushes and threw himself behind them breathing heavily as he settled into his spot. This was wrong. This was so so so wrong. But he couldn’t help it. Everyday after his chemistry class he would rush to this very spot. It was a habit he had tried breaking but couldn’t find the strength to do it. He took a deep breath and waited. He waited like he did everyday for Sehun to walk by. Sehun was a boy. A very handsome boy. A boy Luhan had an immense crush on.  It had happened suddenly. Without warning at all. He had just glanced in the direction Sehun was standing in eating an apple and laughing with friends when his heart decided to beat rapidly. Luhan didn't know what was going on at the time. He couldn’t explain the blush that had spread to his cheeks when he had accidently met Sehuns gaze. He didn’t know why he couldn’t breathe in that one second glance. So he did what any young teen would do. He asked his mom. Of course he posed it as a hypothetical question. And his mother was so very wise. She of course knew what was going on.

 

A crush. It was a crush that could cause his heartbeat to speed, his palms to get sweaty, and his cheeks to turn pink. His mother had told him it was common. That it happened whenever a boy saw a girl that he liked a little more than just a friend. But that’s where she lost Luhan. Because Sehun wasn’t a girl. Sehun was a boy just like him. So could it really be a crush? Was there something wrong with him?

 

Since his mother hadn’t been able to answer his question fully he went to the only person that could come second to his mother. His best friend Baekhyun. Baekhyun thankfully was able to provide a better explanation and even told Luhan that there was nothing wrong with him. He did warn him though. He explained that not everyone thought it was okay for boys to like boys and girls to like girls. When Luhan asked why Baekhyun shrugged and said that some people could just be really dumb. Luhan had simply nodded. It was then he decided it was for the best to keep his crush a secret. After all it would go away eventually. Right?

 

He was  of course wrong. He had tried so hard to forget and ignore his feelings but his heart was persistent. His heart just wouldn’t give him any peace. Luhan found he could make his heart happy whenever he glanced at Sehun. That alone was enough to give his restless heart a break. But soon that wasn’t enough. Which was why Luhan was currently trying his best to stay hidden behind the bushes.

 

This was his only way to satisfy his unyielding heart. He was smoothing out his wind tousled hair when he caught sight of an apple being thrown up into the air. His heart immediately beated faster at the sight. He peeped out the bushes and of course Sehun was walking by reading a book as usual. Luhan gazed dreamily at Sehun. He wondered what it would be like to speak to him. Would Sehun share any of the books he read? Would he let Luhan recommend some of the books he had read?

 

Without thinking Luhan found himself climbing a nearby tree to get a better view of Sehun. But in his dream-like state he ended up bumping his head rather loudly on a branch above him. He was instantly snapped out of his daydream and he quickly hid himself behind the tree before Sehun could glance in his direction curiously. That was far too close. His heart was beating frantically.It was beating so fast it felt like it was going to jump out of his chest. He quickly covered it with his arms. Hoping to calm it down before looking at Sehun again.

 

The last thing he needed in his life was to be caught. Luhan knew this was practically stalking. If Sehun caught him surely the other would think him a creep. He couldn’t risk that. But his heart didn’t understand. His heart never understood. It would always be restless and impatient. Luhan tried to reason with it many times but it just didn't listen. It didn’t understand that all Luhan wanted was to keep it from getting hurt. Because if people found out they wouldn’t like it. They would be unaccepting and some of those people could even be Sehun. It was just too much of a risk. He let his arms fall when his heartbeat seemed to go back to normal and he chanced a glance at Sehun's back as he made his way towards the school building.

 

All of a sudden Luhan's heart leapt out his chest. Luhan looked at in surprise and tried reaching for it but his heart jumped around excitedly pointing at Sehun.  He grabbed onto it only for his heart to try and pull him out of the tree towards Sehun. Luhan fought with it and tried tugging it back but his other hand slipped causing him to fall back and lose his grip on his heart. When he was able to get back on the branch he saw , to his absolute horror, his heart replacing Sehuns apple. Luhan panicked and quickly jumped down from the tree. He rushed over to Sehun only thinking of snatching his heart back.

 

Without thinking Luhan made to grab his heart when at the last second his heart had jumped away making Luhan grasp Sehuns hand instead. Luhan stared at their connected hands then back at Sehun completely in shock. Quickly he let go of the others hand and gave him an apologetic smile. Sehun gave him a confused look and looked like he was going to say something when suddenly Luhan's heart appeared from behind Sehun. In panic Luhan reached for it again. The only goal on his mind was to get his heart back.

 

And he did! He caught it! But in the process Sehun had somehow been forced in between Luhan's outstretched hands. They were so close together Luhan could have leaned forward and kissed him. Sehuns eyes widened in surprise and Luhan felt the color drain from his face. He quickly disentangled himself from Sehun and threw himself into the nearest bin to hide. Of course he was panicking so he hadn’t noticed that he had literally thrown himself into a trash can. Great. What else could possibly go wrong?

 

He was going to pull out his heart and have a stern talking with it when he heard the bell ring. With a sigh he peeked out of the trash can to see Sehun walking towards the school once more. Somehow his heart had come out of his pocket and was once again hell bent on going to Sehun. Luhan was much faster this time and was able to jump out of the trash can to grab onto his heart but his heart was a determined little thing. A strong determined little thing.

His heart dragged Luhan towards Sehun. In a split second move Luhan was able veer his heart away from Sehun. But his heart was not giving up. It charged towards Sehun again and Luhan tried to hold it back. Right when it appeared that they would crash into Sehun Luhan tripped over a rock.  The force of it all had made them go airborne. Luhan's heart was able to just barely graze the hair on Sehuns head. And then they landed. On the ground. Super hard. The impact made Luhan dizzy. He tried to clear his head and remembered his heart. He looked around frantically and finally spotted it making it's way into the school right behind Sehun.

 

This was not good. This was not good at all. Luhan got up off the ground and ran towards the school silently hoping he’d be able to get his heart back. He threw open the school doors and to his terror his heart had Sehun on the ground and was boldly nuzzling the others cheeks.

 

Luhan raced forward and grabbed onto his heart. Oh but his heart fought him again. His heart reached for Sehun and held on tight.  Luhan tried pulling some more but then he glanced at Sehun. Sehun glanced at him confusedly and then his eyes widened as if realizing something. Oh no. Luhan instantly looked away and tried to pull his heart away.  He was sweating and silently pleading with his heart when he noticed the hallway was starting to get crowded. He looked around and his worst fear was happening before his eyes. Everyone was staring at him. He could feel the judgment in their eyes. He made the mistake of looking at Sehun for help. Because Sehun met his gaze and then looked away apologetically.

 

Luhan needed to get away. He had to get out of their now. Even half a heart was better than staying there any longer. So he pulled. He pulled so hard his heart broke in half. The stubborn little thing wouldn’t let go of Sehun. Luhan couldn’t bear to be there any longer. He ran out with his broken heart tears streaming down his face. He didn't dare look back. It was all over.

 

Luhan looked down at his broken heart. This was what he had been trying to avoid. Why didn’t his heart listen to him? Why didn't it understand Luhan just wanted to keep it safe. What was worst is that now not only did Sehun find out his secret but his whole school. Tears fell from his eyes. What was he going to do? He was really crying now. Tears falling freely because he was scared and hurt. He had embarrassed himself in front of the one person he had wanted so badly to get acquainted with.

 

But then shuffling from the side made Luhan stop his crying. He turned to see what had made that noise and his eyes widened when he saw what it was. Or rather who it was. Standing shyly away from him was Sehun.  Luhan looked on confused as Sehun made his way closer to him.

 

He watched as Sehun took a seat next to him.They were so close to each other. Luhan glanced at him and looked away when Sehun smiled shyly at him. If that wasn't enough Sehun had reached for the other half of Luhan's heart that was sitting in his hands.  Luhan looked at their hands in shock. What was Sehun doing? He soon got his answer when Sehun took his hand away to reveal Luhan's no longer broken heart.  His heart jumped out of his palms and went straight to nuzzling  Sehun's face. Luhan looked at it mortified but Sehun only laughed.

 

The sound of Sehuns laughter made Luhan smile shyly at the other. Sehun smiled back and Luhan couldn’t help but look away.

He wanted to say something. To thank Sehun for fixing up his heart. Or apologize for his obnoxious heart knocking the other over earlier. But he couldn’t find his voice. He was just too shy. He could feel even his ears getting red with Sehun sitting right next to him.

 

The sound of Sehun clearing his throat made Luhan turn to look at Sehun.

 

“Hi umm I’m Sehun” Sehun said a little awkwardly. Luhan could see faint pink on Sehuns cheeks and felt comforted by that.

 

Gulping Luhan whispered “I- I’m Luhan”

 

Sehun smiled at him again and Luhan couldn’t help the smile spreading on his lips.

 

“I was wondering if maybe you’d let me walk you to class?”

 

Luhan's eyes widened in surprise. This had to be a dream. There was no way the guy he had a crush on was asking him if he could walk him to class. Surely it was a dream. There was no way that after the huge accident Sehun would want to be seen around him.

 

“I… really?” Luhan asked and Sehun chuckled.

 

“Yes. I’d really like to get to know you. I mean if you’d let me”

 

Not knowing what to say Luhan just nodded dumbly. Sehun let out a breath in relief making Luhan wonder if the other had been holding his breath.

 

He didn’t get a chance to dwell on it for too long because all of a sudden Sehun was up and extending his hand out to help Luhan up. Luhan looked up at Sehun and was almost left breathless when he saw Sehuns smile and soft gaze on him. He could feel his heart turn to mush when he took hold of the others hand.

 

As they walked towards the school building Luhan silently reminded himself to ask Baekhyun

 

“So what happens after your crush finds out?”