Chapter 2

See You Again

I was so bothered by Joonmyeon-oppa’s confession the last time we talked about my auntie. I’ve never heard my auntie calling me by that name, that’s why it’s a shock when he told me that. I am so scared. I wanted to search that name in the internet and find out about her – or more about who I really am. Today’s Friday and I’m alone sitting at the cafeteria. Joonmyeon-oppa and Yi Fan-oppa did not fetch me up today. I got a call from Yi Fan-oppa that Joonmyeon-oppa won’t be coming to school. He wasn’t feeling well. I don’t know where Yi Fan is.

“Do you mind if I share this table with you?” A familiar voice asked. My heart started to race again. It’s thumping so hard. I’m getting the same feeling again since that day. I looked at the person talking and smiled.

“No, I don’t. But why do you have to sit here? There are a lot of empty seats and tables.”

“Because I can and because I want to. Haru, right?” Lay said as took a seat opposite mine. I nodded. I hated Joonmyeon-oppa for being absent. I hated Kris for not being around. I am mentally cursing right now.

“Are you a new student? I’ve never seen you here before.” I asked.

“I was from the College of Law but then I transferred here at the College of Music. I got bored that’s why I decided to shift courses,” he answered. I am trying so hard not to stare at his dimple. Somebody help me.

“You shifted courses because you’re bored? Okay. But that’s not a good reason you know.”

“I’m looking for someone. No. I actually found her.” Lay said. Those words sent chills to my spine. I don’t know why but I somehow got affected. I don’t know if I felt disappointed. He’s looking for someone – and that person is a girl.

“I see. You found her, what now?”

“Who’s found who and why aren’t you answering your phone, Lee Haru?” Kris’ voiced echoed the whole cafeteria. I’m glad that there are no other people around. I searched for my phone inside my bag. Apparently, I’ve been missing his 15 calls. .

“Sorry Kris. It was on silent mode. I’m sorry.” I have to introduce them to each other now.

“Apology accepted. But who’s this guy? Sorry. I don’t mean to be rude. Wait. Are you Chinese?” Kris asked Lay. Kris is originally from China. His family went to Canada when he was young and he grew up there. He’s fluent in Korean, English, Cantonese and Chinese. Lay didn’t look like Chinese to me.

“Hello.” Lay greeted formally. “My name is Zhang Yixing. I’m from Changsha but I grew up here in Korea. I’m a third year student. I just transferred here in your college. You can call me Lay. Nice to meet you,” Lay said while extending his right hand to Kris.

“I knew it. My name is Wu Yi Fan. I’m from Guangzhou but I grew up in Canada and decided to study here in Korea. You can call me Kris. That’s my English name. I’m your hyung by the way,” Kris said while shaking Lay’s hand.

Then there was silence.

“You’re the guy who helped Haru with her things! Anyways, sorry for interrupting your conversation. Do you mind if I borrow Haru from you? It’s urgent.”

“Did something happen? We still have classes. We can’t skip.”

“It’s about Joonmyeon. He’s in the hospital right now. He needs us. I already talked to the Department Head. He let us go.”

“Sorry Lay. See you around.” I really don’t want to leave him alone but I have to. Joonmyeon-oppa is far more important than anything and anyone right now.

“It’s okay. I hope he’s fine.”

We immediately went to the hospital. Kris told me that Joonmyeon-oppa called him earlier this morning telling him he’s not feeling well. Kris was already suspecting something. Joonmyeon agreed to meet his parents yesterday since his mother was pleading for months now. I’m afraid they beat Joonmyeon again. As Kris and I were making our way on Joonmyeon’s room, someone stopped in front of me. He’s obviously a doctor.

“Excuse me, sir? Is there a problem?” I asked the doctor. Kris was calling me and telling me to make it fast.

“I never thought I would see you again after such a long time. I’m glad you’re doing well, Ms. Kim.” The doctor said.

“Ms. Kim? I’m sorry but my surname’s not Kim. It’s Lee. My name is Lee Haru.”

“No. I cannot be mistaken. You’re Dae-won’s daughter. His only daughter.”

“Sorry but my father’s name is not Dae-won. I have to go.” I’m starting to get scared. But I’m more confused than scared.

“No. You’re not Lee Haru. You’ve been being fed lies all this time. You’re not Lee Haru.”

He started to walk away from me. He stopped walking and looked at me straight in my eyes.

“Your name’s Kim Hyoyeon.”

Those words sent chills all over my body.