The Misunderstanding

Like No Other

She wasn't exactly sure how it all happened. Being mistaken for a boy was the last thing she would have expected. Even if she did have short hair and wore boyish clothes. She had been dancing at an open studio, practicing some moves. Maybe it was because of her clothes that did a good job of concealing her chest. Maybe it was the strength and power she danced with. Whichever it was the man who approached her thought he was talking to a boy. He stated his name and the company he worked for. He praised her dancing saying he'd never seen a boy as young as her dance with so much enthusiasm. She was about to correct him when he offered her the chance to audition for a new band that was about to be put together. She shut and stared at him. 

"What's your name?" He asked her.

"Eli." She said.

The man smiled. "Please consider my offer." And with that the man excused himself and departed.

She went home trying to decide what to do. The door to her room opened and a head poked itself into view.

"What's up, Unni?" It was her younger sister Charlie.

"Nothing. Just trying to figure something out."

"Oh yeah? What is it?" She plopped down on the bed.

"I got an offer to audition for a new band but," She paused. "It's funny really. They thought I was a boy." She laughed.

Charlie added an unsure chuckle then stopped, looking serious. "What are you going to do?"

"Well, why not try out?"

"Elina! That's insane!" Charlie exclaimed.

"Oh come on," Eli argued. "Why not? I probably won't make it anyway and even if I was it wouldn't be too much of a problem. We could do with the money. In case you haven't noticed we've been a little short on monvey from moving over here from America in the first place."

"Yeah but you might get found out." Charlie persisted.

"It's not gonna happen. If I got mistaken for a boy without even trying it would be a breeze if i actually put some effort into it."

"Well..." Charlie paused. She had run out of arguments. "Whatever. It's your life you'll ruin, not mine." She smiled. "When is the audition?"

"In two days."