✵✵✵

The Amulet

"Tae, remind me why we are here again?"

"Oh Jimin! This is literally the coolest place on the entire planet and you know it. You just have to pick up all the good vibes here," he states gesturing weirdly around the air around him.

Yeah, vibes. The only vibes I'm picking up are creepy ones, I think to myself. I give him a skeptical look and decide to leave Tae to explore this place at his own accord while I wander around.

I walk around for a little, finding mostly old junk I would never buy. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess.

After a while, I walk up to an old wooden table with an assortment of old jewelry. I am a man for jewelry, so I start to pick through the pile. After a mere 30 seconds, I already have my hands full of amazing finds. There were so many cool rings and necklaces, I couldn't help myself. After I had a good pile, I decided that that was enough.

That is until I saw the most beautiful amulet I've ever seen. I quickly picked it up and added it to the stash. I then proceed to look for the checkout.

I find the checkout area and gently lay my precious mound of jewelry down for the old woman to ring up. "Wow, into jewelry are we?" she said amused. "Well, I guess you just had a really good selection," I replied a bit embarrassed. She just laughed in reply. She was almost done, but when she picked up the amulet I got, she looked at me. " Please take good care of him. He may be cold-hearted but look past that. He's been through more than you could imagine." I was so confused. Did she think the amulet was a person or something? "Um... ok?" She put the amulet into a special box, and put it into the bag, then continued with the rest of the items.

I pay and begin looking for Tae. After a few moments, I find him with a whole treasure chest filled with god knows what. I smile and simply say " Oh Tae. What am I going to do with you?"






 

"See you later!" Tae says as he struggles to drag his treasure into his house. I laugh and pull out of his driveway and head to my house.

Once I get home I make myself a bowl of cereal and plop myself down on my couch to look through my new jewelry. I sort out the rings, earrings, and necklaces into neat piles, then I take out the box with the amulet. Why was the lady so weird about this amulet? It was very beautiful. It had a black frame with a huge ruby in the middle. For a second, I thought I saw a face in the amulet but quickly shook away the ridiculous thought.

Looking at the amulet closely, I find a small smudge on it. I attempt to get it off by rubbing it with the end of my shirt and after a vigorous attempt, the smudge hadn't seemed to come off, so, naturally, I rubbed it harder.

Suddenly, the amulet started glowing. I quickly dropped it and hid behind my couch for my own safety protection.

"Pfft, coward."

I heard a deep voice say. I look out from behind the somewhat protective couch to find a very attractive man standing before me in a red silk jacket with a bowtie and black skinny jeans. He's glaring right at me making me slightly flustered and uncomfortable under his heated, and y, gaze.

"I-I... um hello?" I reply sheepishly.

"I'll give you the rundown only once, so listen and listen well. My name is Jeon Jungkook. I am a Jinn also known as a genie, and my duty is to give you three wishes.

"Of course, there are a few rules: No wishing for someone to love you, more wishes, someone to die or to become something with magical powers like a god, genie, etcetera. Any questions?"

I stare at him in astonishment.

I start to laugh.

"That's ridiculous! There is no such thing as genies! That's something Disney came up with for children!" I say laughing hard.

"Hey! I am real! Just make three wishes and then I can finally leave. You're getting rather annoying," He replies clearly annoyed. I stop laughing, a little offended by his comment.

"Um... I don't really know what to wish for," I say honestly, "these things take time.".

"Ugh well, when you think of something just rub my amulet, and I'll be of service," he says going towards his amulet. I quickly get up and watch him get up back into the amulet.

What just happened?




 

The next morning I decided to visit the park for a little fresh air. Maybe I could release the genie there. I bet he hasn't seen the world in forever, plus I wanted to get to know him better. I have so many questions!

When I arrive, I walk over to my favorite bench and decide to take out the amulet. I give it a good rub, it starts to glow, and Jungkook comes out in all of his handsome glory. He's in a red silk suit, fitted pants that perfectly hugged his quite impressive-
e
My thoughts were interrupted by Jungkook.

"Oi, you got a wish yet?"

"Well, not yet," I reply, scratching the back of my head while Jungkook looks a little irritated.

"I just had a... few questions," He looks at me annoyed.

"Fine. I'll give you 5 questions. You can ask me them now or later but only 5," He says.

"Yes! Ok first one, how old are you?"

"4056 years old."

"So old..."

"Pfft, rude."

"What's it like inside your Amulet?"

"It's hard to explain in your language and in your simple human brain. It's like the rift between this dimension and... the one that I won't explain. And no, I can't leave unless I have an extremely important reason too or the master of the amulet rubs it. It hurts like hell when I leave the amulet of my own free will. I'm bonded to that Amulet at the hip."

That answer sparked so many questions.

"It must to live in the same weird dimension place for that long," I said.

"Well, you get used to it I guess," he replied.

I had to think carefully about my next questions. I had to make them meaningful.

"Do you like being a genie?"

I saw his face turn a little hesitant but replied with, "No, I was cursed, and now I'm stuck serving people. I never got to live my life," he sighed deeply, "but I got what I deserved."

I felt myself fight the strong urge to just go up to him and hug him and tell him everything will be alright. That he didn't deserve what he got. But I had no idea what he did, or even, who he was for that matter.

The thought of me hugging him gave me a weird feeling in my stomach that I couldn't quite describe. Like a thousand butterflies were flying about my stomach.

I wanted to hold him, to kiss him, to love him.

That's what I felt, Love. And it's so strong it almost hurts. But... what if he loves someone else? He couldn't possibly. Could he?

"Do you love someone?" I had to know, to just know if I had a chance.

He looked at me for a while, and that was the longest 39 seconds of my life.

"No. Love is a foolish human emotion that has no meaning. It gets people nowhere in life," He flat out said. I felt everything inside me, break. He seemed so certain of his answer. I started to feel tears form, edging to escape.

I hesitated but I had one more question. Then I could go home and sulk.

"Why were you cursed?" I asked looking down at my lap, trying to will the tears away.

"Ok, that's a question I would like for you to not ask."

I looked up at him confused.

"Why?" I ask, poking for an answer.

"My past isn't the prettiest," he said looking off at the park, so he thankfully couldn't see my tears.

"I don't care. I want to know you," I stood up, getting closer, "I want to help you."

"You can't!" He pulls away sharply, "I'm someone who just can't be helped."

"Everyone can be helped and you clearly need it!" I yell back, trying to get my point across. Jungkook just stared at me with pure disgust flooding his eyes.

He turned and said, "you need to learn when to quit. You care too much about people who don't even care about you." He takes a final glance at me, "I'm leaving, don't even think about summoning me for a while," and then disappears into the amulet.

I look at where he once stood.

Those words hurt so much. I felt like going into a hole and crying for eternity. I've never felt this way before, and it's only with Jungkook and I just met him. Needing to reassess this situation, I get up to go for a walk, tears streaming down my face.

 


 

It's been a week.

One week since I last saw Jungkook, and it's driving me crazy. I haven't left my pitiful house, and all I've done is cry and contemplate everything. All I want is to see his handsome face, beautiful eyes, and his beautiful glow he tends to have around him.

Instead, I get taunting dreams of him cuddling, kissing, hugging -and other things that I would prefer not to mention- me with the biggest and happiest smile on his face. These dreams, of course, only make my situation worse.

To be honest, I was scared. What if he found out I liked him, and the fantasy dreams I've been having about him? He would probably be so disgusted and hate me. Plus he's older than me by, like, 4035 years. That's practically loving a pile of dust that can talk. I needed to get these feelings out of my head because once I make my three wishes, he'll be gone.

Maybe there was a way that I could free him. At least he would be happier.

Hopefully.

His eyes held so much sorrow and regret. Maybe I could ask him how he could be set free, and I would set him free and become his hero and he'll fall for me so hard and we'll live happily ever after!

Yeah right.

Come on Jimin, think realistically here.

One, I don't know if I can even help him. Who knows what you would have to do. 
Two, I'm definitely not a hero in any way, shape, or form. 
And lastly, he would never fall for me. I'm just a squishy marshmallow. And he even said he didn't care about me at all. So my chances of a perfect outcome are about non-existent.

I'm pulled out of my deep thought to my phone ringing. I dry my tear-stained cheeks with my sleeve and get up from my spot in the corner of my room to the bedside table where my phone is. I look at the caller ID and see it's Tae. I hesitate but decide to pick it up.

"Hello," I say, my voice raspy from crying and not talking for a week.

"God Jimin, you sound terrible! Where are you, more importantly, how are you? None of us could get a hold of you! We are all very worried. Momma-Jin and Papa-Joon are a mess!" Tae replies.

"I'm sorry. I haven't been feeling very well this past week."

"Ok..." Tae replies clearly not buying my story, "well if there is anything, I mean anything you want to talk about, I'm here for you. Jimin please talk to me. I and a lot of other people are worried sick about you. We understand what you've been through."

"Ok Tae, it's been really complicated these past few days. I think a just need some sleep."

"Ok Jimin, sleep well. Feel better soon ok?"

"Yup, bye," I say and hang up. I sign and look at the clock beside my bed. '2:44 p.m.'. I start to feel how tired I actually am, so I walk to the bathroom to do my before-sleep routine.

When I walk in, I look at myself in the mirror.

All I see is a chubby, ugly person who is overreacting because he didn't get what he wanted. He's such a spoiled little brat who's gonna get nowhere in life. Here he is, with red, puffy eyes and a swollen nose from pathetically crying for a whole week. He ignored all his friends, soon he won't have any. Maybe he should just give up.

I fall to the ground, crying.

After a few minutes, I continue with my routine. When I am finished, I slug out of the bathroom and gasp in surprise.

"J-Jungkook! W-w-what are you doing h-here?!"

Standing before me stands none other than Jungkook himself.

"Jimin, I'm so sorry. I had to come out and see you. I can't watch you suffer because of me anymore. I've been having these indescribable feelings and dreams lately, and it hurts me so much when I see you suffering like this. Please let me help."

I stood there completely aghast.

"W-why?" I reply as I feel tears well up in my eyes. Jungkook suddenly rushes towards me and hugs me.

"Jimin, you're changing me." He releases me and wipes off the tears that have fallen from my eyes. "Jimin, I think I'm falling for you." I just stare at him in disbelief. "Jimin, I'm so sorry for putting you through all this. I didn't know how to handle all your kindness. You're so different from what I'm used to. So please, give me a chance." He looks at me with so much cuteness and hope in his eyes, I just couldn't refuse.

"Ok, but," I say, "can you please tell me why you got cursed." He looked at me in total shock. "I know it's not the time or place and totally random, but I would really like to know so I can, you know, help."

He then took a deep breath and started to explain. "I... I was a prince. If I wanted something, I would get it. Of course, I was a complete snob. Always making fun of lower class people, and boasting to everyone. I would assign impossible or even deadly tasks to those who wanted to be my friends. I was a terrible person.

"Little did I know my behavior was being watched.

"One day a boy around my age walked up to me and asked me if I had any food for his family. I, of course, said no, even though I had an excessive amount of food I could have given him. The boy asked one more time, and I again replied with no. Taking out an amulet, the one I am now cursed too, the boy said, 'I, Min Yoon-gi, swear I have learned that my wrongdoings were wrong and transfer this curse to another, Jeon Jungkook, in need of its lesson.' The amulet started to glow and the next thing I knew, I had to give three wishes to whoever rubbed my amulet.

"Now you know, but I swear I have learned my lesson. Please, Jimin, I have met millions of people of many different ages that have made me see that being mean and wicked gets you nowhere."

I stand there, processing what he had just told me.

"So you can just pass on the role of genie to someone else?" I asked.

"Yes, but it's more complicated than that. The Amulet has to, kind of 'approve' the pass. Like, I can't pass it on unless the Amulet thinks I have learned my lesson. And then I have to actually find someone to pass it on to which has been my main problem these past few years," he replies.

"In that case come with me, we're going to set you free," I say and grab his arm dragging him to my car.

Once we're both in and settled, I start the car and speed off.

"Where are we going?" Jungkook says a little scared because of my driving.

"To Satan himself," I reply with a grin and turn up the music so he wouldn't ask more questions.



 

After an hour of driving in complete silence. We arrive at a seemingly normal house in the country.

"Where are we?" Jungkook hesitatingly asks.

"My dad's," I reply and get out of the car, and up the stairs to the front porch, stopping at the front door.

This house was, and still is, my very own personal hell. This is the house where every day I would be subjected to every type of abuse imaginable by my drunken father. And that abuse didn't get any better when he found out I was gay. I'm lucky I got out of this house alive, unlike my mother.

I suddenly feel an arm slink around my waist and a hand wiping away the tear that unknowingly fell.

"Hey, we don't have to do this if this makes you uncomfortable," Jungkook said softly.

"No, we have to do this. This man needs to be punished," I say sourly. I knock on the door and wait.

A middle-aged man suddenly opened the door. "What- You! I told you to never come back, you bastard child! No one ever loved you and no one wants you! Not even your mother, that's why she took her own life. She couldn't stand the look of you!" My Father yelled in my face about to hit me. The strong smell of alcohol admitting out of the house.

Guess he hasn't changed.

I scrunch up, ready to receive the punch.

Suddenly, I feel a strong hand push me back and Jungkook now in front of me, holding my dad's hand in the air.

"That's enough! Jimin, get into the car, turn the music on high, and don't look until I tell you to." Jungkook said sternly. I didn't bother protesting because the look in his eyes made me want to run away.

I run to the car and get in. I turn the music up until there's no way I could hear anything outside and ducked under the steering wheel. I know that's not why my mom committed suicide. She came to me one night, apologized, and gave me here prized possessions before she took her life. She told me that I needed to run away as far away as I could and live my life to the fullest without my father anywhere near me. She told me to never go for a person just for their looks and go for what's inside, like she had, and look where that mistake got her. I could never forget that night.

About fifteen minutes later I hear the door to the car open. I look up hitting my head on the steering wheel, then someone laughing the sweetest laugh I've ever heard.

"Are you ok?" I look up, not hitting the steering wheel this time, to see Jungkook offering a hand to me. I take his hand and get up. I quickly get out and crush him in a hug.

"I'm gonna assume so than," He says with a chuckle.

"Did you get him?" I say voice muffled in his shirt.

"Of course I did. We just need to make a quick pitstop at the antique shop you got me in." I shake my head and release him.

"Then get in."



 

"Oh, my cheese and crackers! Jungkook!" The lady from the antique store shouted as she hugged Jungkook. "Did it happen?" she said into the hug in a hushed and anxious tone. Jungkook chuckles and releases the woman.

"Yes, I finally found freedom. And don't treat my replacement kindly."

"Oh Jungkook, how is he ever going to learn how to be nice if he isn't shown how?" she replies taking the Amulet and putting it on the table.

"Fair point," Jungkook responds "We must be going now. Thank you for everything."




 

After that Jungkook pulls me out of the shop and next thing I knew I felt Jungkook's soft, plump lips on mine. My whole body felt like it was on fire and our lips felt like to matching puzzle pieces.

The kiss was over too soon when Jungkook pulled away and looked me right in the eyes.

"I love you," he said. I smiled and kissed him again.

"I love you too."
 

Jungkook and I were cuddling on the couch.

"You know, you didn't make any of your wishes," Jungkook said to me.

"I know. I have everything I could have ever wished for right here," I reply sweetly and turn to kiss him.

Then my phone started to ring.

"Hello," I say into the phone. "JIMIN! WHERE ARE YOU? AND THAT'S NOT A QUESTION!" I hear my friend -more like my mother-, Jin, scream into the phone. I groan and begin to explain while Jungkook just laughs.