The Story of Us

Behind the words [One-shot]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinyoung's POV:

 

My cellphone's beeping sound woke me up one night. Used to receive important messages only, I grabbed my cellphone and sleepily pressed the keys and read the message.

"Hi there! care 2 b my textmate?"

Not knowing who the sender was, I deleted the message right away and placed the phone on my bedside table. I tried to go back to sleep. I had just closed my eyes when I heard the message tone again.

"Hi there, again! Care 2 b my textmate?" again, the message said.

"Who the heck could this be asking for a textmate at the wee hours of the night?" I asked myself.

Again, I deleted the message without bothering to reply.

I was never a "textmaniac"-someone who enjoys texting anyone and everyone even in the wee hours of the night, not to mention during the day. My parents who were always abroad, forced me to own a cellphone.

They told me that having one was more convenient -they could monitor me even if they're miles away.

I wanted to turn the cellphone off. However, since my mother was fond of calling me at night just to check if I am safe at home, I decided not to.

Just as I was about to close my eyes and return to my dreamless sleep, the phone beeped again. It was from the same number! Such determination.

"Please reply 2 dis msg n b an angel n save me frm dis abyss of emptiness!"

I never knew why but the message struck me. I got up and pressed the keys. I realized I was replying to the message.

"Im not an angel, n if u want some1 2 save u, Im not superman. Im just a simple person whom u woke up in d mid of nite! Nway, do I know u?" I typed.

seconds later came the reply.

"Nope. U don't know dis lonely soul, nor does he know u. But I want 2 b ur friend. I'm Lee Daehwi. And U?"

"Just call me Jinyoung. How did u get my no.?" I sent back.

"Hi Jinyoung, nice 2 meet u. I just shuffled the last two digits of mine." He replied.

 

That was the first and maybe last time I met someone over the cellphone.

We exchanged messages and learned so much about each other that night. We only said goodbye when my alarm clock rang at 5am. I had to prepare for school!

And that was also how it all started. There wouldn't be a day without a loving and thoughtful message from Daehwi. It was only then I learned to appreciate text messages and become eager and excited everytime my phone beeped, hoping it would be him.

I never knew why, but his response would send shivers down my spine.

"Value d people who have touched ur life bcoz ull nvr know just wen will dey walk out of ur life n nvr come back again".

I couldn't understand what I felt at that moment, but I was sure of one thing, I could not go a day without a single word from him. Even though we have not met personally, I became used to have him in my life. In fact by then, he already occupies a large space in my life.

I texted him back. "Don't come close if ull jst pass by, dont touch me if ull jst let me cry, dont love me if ull jst leave me n won't stay..."

I didn't know why I sent him that message, but somehow I felt every word came from my heart. In the short span of time that we exchanged messages with each other, I knew I have reserved a place for him in my heart.

 

I called him once, the voice on the other end was like an angel's. It was soft, kind and full of love. Yet, there was something in it that I couldn't define. We only talked a few minutes. Before he hung up, he told me not to call again. According to him, it would be better if we would just text each other.

But his voice keep ringing not only in my head, but in my heart. I longed to hear it once more. I tried to call him again but he did not answer the phone. He just kept on sending messages and quotations, which I copied in a little notebook. Am I a hopeless romantic? I don't know. All I could say was all the messages he sent me were wonderful. They came from his heart and cut through my heart.

 

"Though we r miles apart, u r always in my heart. I close my eyes n der u r. Even if I'll nvr c u, I'll always b arnd 2 care 4 u, far longer den 4ever..."

He sent me this message on one December night. By that time, we had been exchanging messages for more than a month. God knew how happy I was. He was right. Although we had not seen each other, what we felt was enough to make us both realize what was keeping us together.

I sent back another message, "Loving u secretly is a hard thing 4 me 2 do, hoping, wondering that u will feel de same way 2, but I can't read ur mind to know if u luv me. But whatever it is, I'll still be loving u."

"How I wish I could really tell u how much u mean 2 me, but Im afraid 2 love, scared 2 get hurt. I hope dat u will wait 4 me & pray dat u will not get tired of loving me. =)" was his reply.

And I replied again. "The reason y I met u is bcoz of destiny but if destiny will suggest dat I'll live w/o u, den, I'll not follow my destiny but my free will."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter