Meeting

Sound of the Flute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You can do this.” The young woman straightened her blazer for the umpteenth and started to pick at invisible specks in her hair. “You would not have gotten this job if they thought you couldn’t handle it.” She murmured to herself as she leaned in close to the mirror to inspect her makeup. Just as she was about to pull out the makeup bag from her purse, the door opened, banging against the wall in the process.

 

“Let’s go.” The tall man, her superior, that much she knew, said and waited expectantly for her to move in his direction. As she did, he turned and started down the hallway, the woman on his heels.

 

“Are you ready?” He asked, obviously making small talk. The girl answered with a quick nod. What else could she be? If she said anything else, she may have lost her job just like that.

 

The man noticed her quick answer and smirked, “This isn’t going to be a walk in the park. You have to know that. Especially with you being one of the few females in close proximity, and young, you’re going to receive a bit of backlash. People will try to get under your skin just because you are a woman.”

 

The woman frowned and cleared , “Sir,” she paused thinking of the best way to go about her question, “why was I chosen then?”

 

Her boss stopped in his tracks and if she were to stop a second sooner, she would have run into the back of him. “Do you think you’re not cut out for this positon?” He asked.

 

The woman shook her head quickly, “No, but-“

 

“There are no buts. There are others you must put before yourself, and based on your interview, you seem like a pretty selfless person. Unless that was all just a sob story.”

 

“It wasn’t a sob story.” She snapped before clearing again, “I just wondered why me.”

 

Her boss finally turned to look at her. “You’ll find out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter