one

The Three S's

Yoo Youngjae's goals in life:
1. Study
2. Study some more
3. Study until I'm stupid
4. Graduate
5. Get to know Jung Daehyun

I sighed softly, it has been months since this stupid little obsession, crush, started and yet it was still difficult for me to keep my eyes off him. If I don't get out of this whole stupid situation I got myself in soon, I'll lose my mind before I graduate. Seriously.

It all started three months ago, Jung Daehyun's first day on the job. We glanced at each other, and that was it.

"I'm your new teacher for Math." he had introduced himself emotionlessly back then. The teacher's gaze then scanned the class until it fell on me. He eyed me for a moment until his lips quirked up slightly in amusement. I snapped out of my daze when I realized he must've caught me staring.

And that was when this whole stupid obsession, CRUSH, started.

Honestly, Yoo Youngjae. You just had to fall for your Math teacher of all people, didn't you?

"Hey, you."

I looked up from the floor and noticed Mr. Jung was standing in front of me, a grin on his face. Well, it was a grin until he saw my face. He is now frowning. He looks cute with a frown. Shut up Youngjae.

"What's wrong?" He steps closer to me, his hand on top of my desk.

I let out a shaky breath before shaking my head lightly, "Nothing's wrong, Mr. Jung."

Mr. Jung, a man with chocolate bangs falling to his eyelashes peculiarly raises a brow before he leans down to look at me better, sparing me a quick glance, hazelnut brown glossing over a pair of murky, half-lidded eyelids. "You aren't paying attention, though."

I cleared my throat. "I am."

Mr. Jung nods and props himself lightly on the table in front of you. "Did you notice that class ended already?"

I stare at Mr. Jung who looks at me in amusement. He is terribly intimidating in terms of looks and it makes me feel small and scared. I don't like this feeling at all.

"You listening, cutie?" Mr. Jung crosses his arms, staring at me.

"Yes," I squeak.

"Too handsome?" He teases.

"N-no." I shook my head lightly.

"That hurt."

"I..." I timidly raise my hand politely.

"No need to raise your hand, kitten," Mr. Jung lets out a chuckle. Then he nods. "Go ahead."

"I'm sorry for not paying attention. I'll really pay a lot of attention from now on! Promise!" I managed to squeak out.

Mr. Jung stands up and strolls over to me, stopping gracefully in front of me before removing his reading glasses. He stares at me with an amused smile dangling on the edge of his lips. Then, he starts laughing. Why is he laughing?

"Well," he calms down from his bout of laughter. "This is a first."

I ponder over Mr. Jung's words for a moment before asking, "What is?"

Mr. Jung lets out a soft chuckle. "I've just never met a student half as cute as you are, Yoo Youngjae."

My face instantly contorts in displeasure although my heart was beating way too fast. I glared at Mr. Jung. "I'm serious."

"Okay."

"How do you know my name?" I asked, voice hesitant but clear.

Mr. Jung shrugs, "I'm your teacher," He says, eyes twinkling in amusement. "Of course I know your name."

I glance fleetingly at Mr. Jung's lips before scrunching my own to one side. "Okay."

Mr. Jung's eyes were bloodshot, his pupils melted into his irises. The way he spoke was oddly enthralling, his voice as smooth as wine trickling down his lips.

I think I'm falling for him again.

Yoo Youngjae's goals in life:
1. Study
2. Study some more
3. Study until I'm stupid
4. Graduate
5. Get to know Jung Daehyun
6. Pay attention in Jung Daehyun's class

"Fancy seeing you here." A source of warmth materialises beside me and I look up to meet eyes with Jung Daehyun. I can call him that in my head, right? He doesn't have to know. I smiled.

Jung Daehyun smiles back at me before asking, "Are you that happy to see me, cutie?"

I frown. "Why is imaginary Jung Daehyun so cocky?"

Jung Daehyun releases a foggy breath, head angled towards the tall trees covered in snow from top to bottom. He places his palm against my forehead, as if he was checking whether or not I had a fever. "What are you-"

"WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU- YOU'RE REAL?!"

Jung Daehyun drops his arm back to his side and presses his lips together. "Yoo Youngjae. Why are you screaming?"

"I- I just. I thought I was imagining things."

"You were imagining a cocky Jung Daehyun, am I correct?"

"No."

"That's what you said earlier, though."

"You heard wrong. I heard that's what happens when people get older. You should get your hearing checked, Jung Dae- I mean, Mr. Jung."

Jung Daehyun chuckles and I can feel my face heating up. His voice is so, so low and husky when he chuckles like that. I feel like I'm swallowed by a dark abyss, wrapped by the huskiness of his voice.

"You can call me Jung Daehyun when we're alone."

"I don't like being alone with you, though." I frown at him.

"Do you like imaginary Jung Daehyun better?" He asks, obviously teasing.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I jut my lower lip out.

Jung Daehyun mumbles something, his gaze soft as he stares at me.

I purse my lips, blinking swiftly. "Why... why are you staring at me?"

Jung Daehyun shakes his head, his lips quirking unhurriedly. "I don't think you'll understand, Yoo Youngjae."

I scoff at his reply before asking, "Why do we call each other using our full names?"

"You started it first." Jung Daehyun says, pupils gleaming.

I parted my lips and raised an eyebrow at him. "Yah. You called me Yoo Youngjae back in class that day before you found out I called you Jung Daehyun in my head."

A smile crawls up Jung Daehyun's lips but he doesn't reply immediately, choosing to direct his focus elsewhere. "So you admit you call me Jung Daehyun in your head?"

"No, I don't." I shake my head profusely.

Jung Daehyun stares at me with a gaze I can't quiet understand. He shakes his head and lightly pats me on the head. "You... you need to stop that, Yoo Youngjae." He murmurs, his voice deep and serious.

I gave in and let out a little sigh. "Fine. I admit, I do call you Jung Daehyun in my head. Sometimes. I'm sorry, okay?"

Jung Daehyun frowns. Again. "That's not what I meant, cutie."

"Then what did you mean, Mr. Jung?"

"Just." Jung Daehyun looks at me with knitted eyebrows. "Daehyun. Just Daehyun is fine."

"Okay."

Daehyun smiles. He looks tired.

"Are you okay?"

I nod, offering a small smile in return. "I'm okay. Are you?"

Daehyun shakes his head and offers me one of his smiles in return. "Just tired."

"You didn't have to do this, Youngjae." Daehyun mutters under his breath, the back of his fingers brushing against my cheek.

I blush and step away from him. "It's okay, Daehyun." I give him a small smile. "I wanted to do this."

Daehyun has insomnia. His insomnia is the reason behind his bloodshot eyes and restless nights. I don't know why I thought bringing him back to my apartment would be of any help, but I figured it was better- no, I hated the thought of leaving him alone tonight.

Or maybe I just liked and cared for Jung Daehyun a little too much.

"I can't take your bed, Youngjae." Daehyun says tiredly. So tiredly that I barely heard him.

I shook my head lightly, "No, it's okay. You're my guest and I insist you take my bed, okay?"

Daehyun frowns, "Youngjae, you don't have to feel pressured to do this. If I had known, I wouldn't have told you about it."

"No, Daehyun. I'm glad you told me about it. I want to help... and I mean it."

Daehyun parts his lips tiredly before giving in. He lets out a soft sigh. "What... what did you have in mind?"

I smiled, glad he's allowing me to help him. I can only hope he isn't creeped out by me wanting to help him. I let out a sigh at the thought of my hopeless crush once again.

"Are you okay?" Daehyun frowns.

"Huh?" I asked, snapped out of my thoughts. "Oh! I'm okay. I heard that reading history textbooks before sleep will help? Should we give that a try? I don't have my history textbook with me though... I left it in my locker." I sigh dejectedly, "But I can Google up some history facts for you if you want to try."

"It's... it's okay, Youngjae. I've tried that before. Didn't work."

I looked up at Daehyun sheepishly. How could I have been so inconsiderate? I should've known Daehyun must've already given that a try. That stupid list of ways to fall asleep on Google is probably completely useless. What... what can I do to help Daehyun?

"Youngjae, it's okay. Insomnia can't be cured in a d- why are you holding my hand?"

I blushed. "Don't misunderstand! I have a reason!"

Daehyun clears his throat, "Let's," He swallows, "Let's hear it, then."

"My mom used to hold my hand before bed every night when I was little. She told me it would help me have only good dreams! And I believed her then. I... I still believe her now. You've probably already tried all those stupid ways to sleep found on Google right? I thought... I thought maybe this would help. It's the only thing I could think of. Sorry."

Daehyun lets out a soft chuckle, "You don't have to apologize, Youngjae. Thank you."


Daehyun is... Daehyun is asleep. Jung Daehyun, my Math teacher whom I've been crushing on for the past three months is asleep. In my house... on my bed. I'm blushing. Why am I blushing?

Maybe it's too hot in here. But what if Daehyun's too cold? Is he shivering? He's not. But just in case, I should-

Daehyun squeezed our intertwined hands just as I was about to let go and set the air conditioner at a higher temperature.

Daehyun is frowning. Why is he frowning in his sleep? He looks cute. Is it creepy for me to say that?

"Just- just a little while more, Youngjae. Okay?" He mumbles in his sleep.

What does that mean? Does he want me to hold his hand for a little while more? Is that it?

Ah. I'm blushing again.

What is Jung Daehyun doing to me?