One Shot

My Biggest Distraction

A/N: English = Maroon text

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Seola I swear to god would you just study?!” Nana complained. We were sitting in the living room studying for our classes, or at least trying to, around the coffee table.

 

“I’m trying, but this is so complicated I don’t get it.”

 

“I explained that three times though,” Nana said exasperated.

 

“When you do it I don’t get what you’re explaining,” I said with a pout.

 

“Fine then I will have to call for backup,” Nana said pulling out her phone.

 

“Hey! I’m not that bad!”

 

“You aren’t but I can’t help you. You just keep getting distracted.”

 

“Then who did you text?”

 

“Your biggest distraction,” She teased as my face fell into complete horror.

 

“You didn’t!”

 

“But I already did,” She said with a shrug before I chased her around the house.

 

“Liar!” I called after her.

 

     Since I was so preoccupied trying to figure out if she really sent the message, time flew by and the doorbell rang. She ran to the door and pulled it open.

 

“Hey Namjoon! Took you long enough,” She said between her pants as she rested her hand on his shoulder. I can’t believe she actually texted him! This was the downside of having a crush on your best friend’s boyfriend’s friend. They are all connected.

 

“Why are you guys out of breath?” He questioned as he entered the apartment.

 

“Just some exercise to get the brain flowing,” Nana joked. Both Namjoon and I rolled our eyes at her.

 

“This is why you’re Taehyung’s girlfriend,” Namjoon said with a shake of his head before turning to me.

 

“So I heard that you needed help studying for the English exam.”

 

“Not really, I’m fine,” I said trying to brush it off. I felt bad for him coming all this way but if he was here I won’t get any studying done.

 

“Oh really? So you understand me when I speak in English right?” He teased.

 

“Of course!” I countered.

 

“Really? Then would you go on a date with me?”

 

“Yes.” I stated confidently.

 

“Translate what I just asked you,” That smug smile on his face pissed me off but I really didn’t know what he was saying.

 

“Uhhhh… Do you want food?” I responded. A blush faintly dusting my cheeks from getting caught.

 

“Aigoo. You really do need my help,” He said giving me mock sympathy.

 

“Shut up Namjoon! What did I agree to then?” I asked curiously.

 

“I’ll tell you if you pass your exam.” His constant teasing pissed me off but what pissed me off more was that he looked so cute doing it.

 

“Okay so I have to go to work now... I’ll leave her in your care Namjoon,” Nana said as she made a speedy exit.

 

“Hey!” I called after her as the door closed.

 

     Studying became ten time harder because one he looked so good in his striped shirt and trackpants with his jean jacket and two he was so freaking close! As I noted different things I need to remember, he would be reading over my shoulder, our faces only inches apart. It didn’t help when he wrapped his arm around me to point at something in my notebook. I am surprised I actually remembered anything with my mind in the gutter, day-dreaming about dating him. I guess he could tell that I was spacing out so he started quizzing me out of the blue but I was actually able to give the correct answers. Hopefully these responses could actually stay in my mind on the actual test day. While studying I heard a growl of the stomach but it wasn’t mine. When I turned to Namjoon he sheepishly gave me a small smile. I let out a light laugh.

 

“How about we take a break? I was getting hungry too,” I said with a smile. We called and ordered pizza but when I tried to pay Namjoon stood in front of me and gave the delivery person the money. As the door closed I pouted at him.

 

“I could’ve paid. You’re the guest,” I whined.

 

“True but let’s just say that this is my gift to you so that you’ll pass the test.”

 

“Wow Namjoon. No pressure,” I joked.

 

“Of course. I’m the one helping you so there is no doubt you’ll pass,” He said giving me a big smile before ruffling my hair.

 

     We sat and talked about how life was as we ate, joking and just having a good time before going back to studying. We studied for who knows how long but before I realized I had fallen asleep. How I realized it was when Nana came home. It was roughly seven in the morning and I woke up when I heard the door slam shut. It took me a moment to process why Nana was coming home now but then I remembered that today is Friday. She stays over at Taehyung’s every Thursday. I pull my jacket over myself more as I settled back into sleep. Wait… I wasn’t wearing a jacket… When did I end up on the couch? I turned to see that Namjoon ended falling asleep as well, he was sleeping on a couch pillow on the ground. Oh I must have fallen asleep and he put me on the couch. Awwww he put his jacket over me so I wouldn’t get cold. Wait no Seola don’t give yourself too much hope he doesn’t like you anyways.

 

     I draped his jacket over him as I went to go get ready for school. I didn’t want to wake him because he stayed up all night helping me so he deserves sleep. As I went to the bathroom Nana peaked her head from her room and gave me a teasing look and I shooed her away. When I was finished I came out and saw that Namjoon had woken up and was conversing with Nana.

 

“Sorry I ended up falling asleep.”

 

“Nah it's fine,” Nana brushed off as she made some toast.

 

“Oh it’s fine. I ended up falling asleep too so it’s not your fault,” I responded, making myself a bowl of cereal.

 

     After our little breakfast, Namjoon walked me to school. At the classroom he wished me luck and we went our separate ways. As I took the test I thanked god for letting me retain all that I studied with Namjoon. A week passed and the professor handed back our exams. I left it flipped over and waited until I was safely at home before looking at it. As I turned the exam over, an elated scream escaped my mouth. I PASSED! Nana called out a quick Congratulations from her room before telling me to quiet down before we get complaints. I hushed my screams to happy giggles as I pulled out my phone.

 

To: Namjoon

Guess what?

 

To: Seola

What?

 

To: Namjoon

I PASSED MY ENGLISH EXAM!

 

To: Seola

Really?! Congrats!

 

To: Namjoon

Okay so what did you say to me in english that time? I passed so what’s the answer?

 

To: Seola

… I think it’s best if you hear it from me in person. Trust me.

 

To: Namjoon

Awwww come on! Just tell me now. Please!

 

To: Seola

If I do you can’t get mad later okay?

 

To: Namjoon

Mad? Why would I get mad?

 

To: Seola

Actually let me just call you.

 

     I confusedly looked at my phone as my phone screen went from messenger to call. I picked up the phone skeptically.

 

“What is it?” I questioned.

 

“Would you go on a date with me?”

 

“What? Namjoon I told you I don’t understand what that means.”

 

“It means… ‘Would you go on a date with me?’ and you said yes... So let me take you out on a date tonight,” He stated, his confidence wavering at the end. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I was shook. I forgot I was on the phone until a reluctant Namjoon spoke again.

 

“Hello? Seola? You know you don’t have t-”

 

“I’d love to,” I responded quickly.

 

“Really? I’ll pick you up at seven,” I let out a small giggle as I could practically hear the excitement from his voice.

 

     Once the call ended I fell onto my bed, a shy mess. I was rolling around on my bed when Nana came in asking if I was okay. Once I explained everything to her she cheered happily saying I told you so. I threw a pillow at her to tell her to shut up before she started fussing over what I should wear. I joined her fussing too as I realized I don’t know what I should wear. It took us a good hour to agree on a casual date outfit as we weren’t sure where he was exactly taking me. I applied a natural makeup look to compliment my mustard yellow sweater and jean overall skirt. When I heard the bell, I laced on my white vans and went to answer the door. There he stood with his hair brushed back wearing a white t-shirt and ripped jeans, pairing them with a black blazer and a pair of timberlands.

 

     He took me to eat at a cute family diner. It was low key so there weren’t many people but the food there was amazing. We fun joking and eating, talking about how we were since the last time we spoke and all that. Afterwards we ended up walking through a small night market looking at all the cute trinkets and clothing until we stumbled upon an arcade. I excitedly dragged him in as he laughed at my childish antics. We played against each other in a multitude of games, most which he won. The arcade was coming to a close so before we left I dragged Namjoon to the claw machine.

 

“Okay which one do you want? I’ll get it for you first try,” He asked confidently.

 

“Hmmm. Can you really? Then I want…. The minion!” I said excitedly as it came into my line of sight.

 

“The minion it is,” He stated as he inserted the tokens. As he moved the claw I watched excitedly, on the tip of my toes as the claw dropped and grabbed at the toy. It slowly lifted but as it was being carried it jerked and the toy fell once again.

 

“Wait I can get this.”

 

“Namjoon it’s okay you don’t have to-”

 

“No I do because when I do I have to tell you something,” He said, once again at the game’s controls. Again he picked up the plush and it slowly moved to the opening… and it fell in!

 

“You won it!” I cheered happily. As he grabbed the toy he turned to face me, a look of determination in his eyes.

 

“Here. This is a gift for you passing your exam. Also I wanted to say… I’ve really liked you for a long time, would you be my girlfriend?” Although he seemed composed on the outside I saw the tips of his ears go red with embarrassment.

 

“Of course! Honestly I’ve liked you for a while now too,” I answered happily, letting a little too much slip from my mouth. I jumped into an embrace and he happily accepted it.

 

     As we walked home, our fingers were now intertwined and as we approached my apartment complex we fell into a complacent silence. Namjoon walked me to my door and before I went in I had a burst of courage. I grabbed his sleeve and pulled him close as I quickly pecked his lips. He was left in shock, his mouth slightly agape.

 

“Good night Namjoon,” I said with a content smile before disappearing into my apartment.