C H A P T E R ~ 0 0 1

Hearts Don't Break Around Here

His sweet smiles and gentle touch, she closed her eyes as she takes a deep breath as the memory lingers in her memory. It has been 5 years since she left him, she misses him dearly but she cannot give him another pain; her seeing him after all these years is like a dried-up wound opening up again, too painful and it would cause so many inconveniences for the both of them.

 

“He’s in a better place now” she said, as she run her fingers through her hair “He should be.”

 

She heaved another sigh before hailing a cab to take her to her rented apartment.

“2 months to fix everything”, she said to herself “and I won’t be going back anymore”

 

After a while, she arrived in her apartment. Its located in the far end of town, she decided not to risk renting a place in the town center, in that way she will eliminate the probability of them meeting unexpectedly. She entered her new humble home; the walls are painted white with a few paintings hanging in the living room. She dropped her luggage in the living room as she inspected the place.

 

“This is perfect” she said, as she admired the paintings and walked to the bedroom. The room is spacious enough for one queen sized bed and a closet, there is also a bathroom inside the room.

 

She smiled in content. She fished her phone from her pocket and dialed a number.

 

“Hello Suho oppa, this is Yoojung. How are you?” she said, in a soft voice

“Yoojung? You’re back?” he asks, he is surprised and happy at the same.

He almost jumped from his chair from hearing the familiar voice he always loved to hear. Yoojung is like his younger sister, they are friends but he treats her differently from the rest.

 He is the brother Yoojung always wished to have.

“Yes, I just arrived. Are you free, by any chance? Let’s grab some dinner.”

“Of course!” he said, in a jolly tone as he hears her chuckle on the other line.

 

Despite of his busy schedule in his work, he decided to clear off his schedule for the rest of the night.

“I will clear my schedule for you, Yoojung. I’ve missed you so much.” He said, in a soft and sincere voice.

“We have so much to talk about.” She sensed the disappointment in his voice

 

Yoojung went silent for a few seconds before letting out a sigh

 “I’m sorry, oppa. You know I have my own reasons. And if you’re busy tonight, we can just re-schedule our dinner—“

“No!” he cut her off “It’s alright, besides I need a break from work.”

“Alright oppa, let’s meet at around 7 pm? Where do you want to eat?”

“Just meet me here at my place, is that fine? Besides, that would eliminate the possibility of you bumping into him somewhere. It’s much safer.” He knows that Yoojung is still not ready to face him yet and he’s not sure if she still wants too.

 

Yoojung’s line went quiet for a minute.

“Thank oppa, you always know the best.” She said, letting out a small smile from the other line.

“I know.” He chuckles, “Then, I’ll see you later?”

“Yes, I’ll be there.”

“Take care, Yoojung. Call me when you’re on your way.”

“I will, see you. Oppa, please don’t tell anyone that I’m back, please” She begged, she is still unsure if she wants the others to know. She is still not ready to face them yet.

“Fine, but you do know that they will eventually find out.” Suho said, as he runs his fingers through his hair. He hates lying to the others but in order to protect Yoojung, he will not utter a word to the others.

Yoojung ended the call and heaved a sigh. She knows Suho will not tell the others, she knows deep down that they will eventually find out that she’s back and she has to face them. But now is the not the right time, she still has many things to fix.

She decided to take a nap first before heading out. She changed her clothes and quickly went to bed.



Suho’s phone rings, he closes his laptop and picked up the phone.

“Chanyeol” he mutters, he heaved a sigh before picking up the call. “Hello?” he prays that the younger male would not know anything about Yoojung’s return.

“Hyung,” the younger male said in a cheerful voice, “Are you free tonight for drinks?Its been a while since the six of us hang out.” The older male released a sigh of relief, “Is there something wrong, hyung?” Chanyeol said, as he sensed something was off with the older male.

“Oh nothing, I’m just tired and I’m sorry I can’t come tonight. I have loads of work to finish tonight.” He bites his lips, as the lies escapes his lips. He now feels guilty. “You know; it’s been hectic here. I’m still trying to cope up with all the works that father left for me.”

Suho heard the younger male released a sigh. Ever since Suho’s father entrusted his position to Suho; he has been working non-stop.

“Oh, what a shame” Chanyeol said, disappointed that his hyung won’t be able to come. “No worries, we understand.”

“Sorry, I’ll make it up to you guys.” He says, as he tries to cheer up the latter. “My treat”

“I’ll be looking forward to that!” Chanyeol beamed at the other line, “Anyway, good luck on work hyung! Don’t stress too much and if you decided to come, it’s at our usual place.”

“Thanks, don’t drink and drive. If you need a ride back, just send me a message. I’ll send my driver.” Suho said, as expected from the eldest.

“Alright, hyung. Bye!” Chanyeol dropped the call, “He said he won’t be able to come” he said to Baekhyun, Kai, Kyungsoo and Sehun. The four groaned in disappointment

 

“He’s so busy nowadays.” Kyungsoo said, as Sehun nodded in agreement

“Yeah, anyway. We can’t do anything about it if he’s busy at work. Let’s go have some fun!” Kai said, as he tugged the others out of the building.

 

The five of them headed out of the building and straight into their own cars as they drove to their usual hang out place.



 

Meanwhile, Yoojung is preparing to head out to Suho’s place. She is wearing a plain black polo shirt and jeans paired with white sneakers.

“5:30” she mumbles, as she glances at her watch. “It’s still early, oppa might still be in the office right now. I’ll leave later.”

She lounged at the sofa, waiting for time to pass. It takes 1 hour from her place to Suho’s place and besides, she decided to take an Uber ride anyway.

 

She recalls all the memories that she had spent in Korea, all the bad and good memories. She was a typical high school student, she joked around with friends. She was friends with Yerin and Eunha, the three of them was inseparable since high school started.

 

She knew Suho since they were children, both of their parents are friends and it is inevitable that the of them would grow close to each other. It was through Suho that she was able to meet the other five. At first, she was shy around because she was not used to being friends with males. But eventually, all of them grew to be the best of friends all the way to college. The nine of them would usually meet up at weekends and spent the entire day watching movies at Suho’s place or just going on trips outside of town.

 

When they all graduated from their own degrees, everyone was busy in starting their own careers. And they were all there for each other as each one of them further advanced in their careers. Suho who is now the director of a huge manufacturing company. Sehun and Kai are business partners who owns multiple dance studios and schools all around Seoul. Kyungsoo is one of the top chefs in Asia to look out of for and he now owns a restaurant in Seoul. Baekhyun now owns a chain of nightclubs in downtown Seoul, while Chanyeol is now one of the top music producers/in Seoul; one of his Yerin is now a fashion designer, she just recently finished launching her new collection in Seoul Fashion Week while Eunha is now a lawyer who works under the biggest law firm in the country.

 

Yoojung is proud for all the accomplishments that her friends made. She is genuinely happy for them; she’s been watching them all this time while she’s away in Paris.

 

She misses them all so much; she knows that the Yerin and Eunha didn’t stop trying to contact her. Even when she told them to stop, they were persistent. And she knows, she has to make it up to them. She owes them a clear explanation to as why. Why did she suddenly left when everything was going on smoothly for all of them?

 

That is what everyone thought.

She heaved a sigh as she checked the time and decided it was time to leave. She grabs her phone from her bag and opened the Uber app and booked a ride.

 

“5 minutes”, she said to herself. 5 minutes before her designated driver arrives at her front door.

 

Soon enough, Yoojung’s driver arrived and they are on their way to Suho’s home. She looks out the window and noticed the twinkling city lights outside. “It’s been a while since I last saw you, my dear Seoul.” She said to herself, as the car drove past the buildings and shops.

 

She arrived in Suho’s place. The home is familiar as she spent multiple occasions inside the grand house. She was always here together with her friends and more often with her family. She thanked the driver and exited the vehicle. She rang the doorbell and the door opened, she carefully walked inside the gate. The house façade remains the same, the only difference is that the flowers that bloomed along pathway is different. She knocked on the door lightly, the door opens and she is greeted by a big warm hug.

 

“Yoojung!!! Why! Why did you not contact me sooner! I have missed you so, so much!” the voice said, hugging the younger tighter.

“Hi Auntie, it has been a while.” She said, as she smiled as the older female envelops her into a deep hug. Suho’s mother is like her own, ever since she was a child she is always welcomed by her Auntie in their humble abode.

“I’m sorry, Auntie. For not contacting you sooner. It’s been tough for me.” She said, as the older female released her.

“I know, my dear. How’s your mother? Is she well? She stopped replying to my emails and messages 2 years ago.” Her auntie said, Yoojung heaved another sigh then looked deep into the older woman’s eyes. Eyes glistening.

 

“She’s doing well nowadays, she’s doing better. She said she sends her regards to you. She was just recently announced that she’s now finally cancer free.” Yoojung beamed at her as she entered the house. The older female lead her to the living room to sit.

“Oh my! Thank the heavens. When is she coming back?”  she said, excited to finally see her friend after all those years.

“She and appa will come next month, Auntie. I told them to contact you as soon as they landed.” Yoojung said, as she held the older female’s hand and gave it a squeeze. “We’re sorry for leaving so sudden, Auntie.”

“Aigoo, Yoojung. Stop saying you’re sorry. It’s not your fault that she got sick.” She gave her a reassuring smile, Yoojung smiled back. “Suho might be here soon. I cooked some dinner but sadly, I’m heading out tonight with your Uncle I would love to join you for dinner but I know there are some matters that you and Suho would discuss.” She said, as she caressed Yoojung’s face gently.

“Thank you, Auntie.” She said, as the older smiled gently at her

“Make yourself at home, Yoojung. I’ll be taking my leave.” She said, as she reached for her coat and headed out of the door.

“Have a safe trip, Auntie.” Yoojung bid farewell to her Aunt as she closes the door.

 

She heaved a heavy sigh, thankful that her Auntie is doing well nowadays. She went to the kitchen to grab some water. She observed the house’s interior, nothing much has changed over the years. The walls are still decorated by paintings by Suho’s mother, family portrait hangs by the wall. She thought that Suho might come any minute now, she went to prepare the table.

 

She hears the gate opening and a car entering the driveway. Suho arrived, she quickly went to the front door to greet him.

“Suho oppa, annyeong.” She said, as she opened the door, waving at him. Suho quickly gave her a hug upon seeing her.

“My Yoojung dongsaeng” he said, as he released her from the hug. “You’ve changed so much. Your hair is now shorter and you’ve grown quite taller.” He said, as she put her hands around his waist as they walked inside the house.

“Let’s eat? Auntie cooked.” Yoojung said as Suho nods, as they headed at the dining table.

“Yoojung,” Suho said, as he takes a bite from his food. “Are you planning to stay?” Yoojung stopped eating and looked at him. He knows the answer. Even when Yoojung doesn’t speak, he knows her well. Her gaze is enough for him to answer his question. He knows Yoojung; she’s willing to protect the one she loves even if it means that she’ll end up hurting herself.

“I m-might.” Yoojung said, “I-I’m still not sure.”

“Why?” Suho asks, but Yoojung knows too well that his question isn’t about why isn’t she sure. He is asking why did she left all of a sudden. Suho knows that Yoojung’s mother is sick but still, it’s not enough to answer why she left without notice. He knows that there is something bothering Yoojung. “What happened, Yoojung? Not even Chanyeol can answer why you left. He was broken Yoojung, you left him broken.”

 

Shocked to hear that Chanyeol didn’t say a word to them, Suho has a puzzled look on his face.

“He didn’t tell you?” she said, “I left because Chanyeol proposed to me.”

Suho has a shock look on his face. He never knew this, Chanyeol didn’t tell him this.

“W-what?” he said, still unable to cope with the information dropped at him. “You declined him, didn’t you?”

 

Yoojung nodded.

 

“Why?” Suho asks

 

Yoojung fidgeted on her seat.She knows she can’t risk it telling it to anybody. She’s loves Chanyeol with all of her heart but she knows she’s not staying very long in this world. She wants Chanyeol to live his live to the fullest, to have someone by his side to grow old with. Not her, a person who will only give him a life of grieving and lonliness.

 

“I said to him that didn’t love him anymore.” Yoojung said

“Those are lies, Yoojung.” Suho barks, he knows that Yoojung loves Chanyeol with all of her heart. He witnessed the two become friends then bloom into lovers. “You still love him.” Suho said, sternly.

Yoojung fell silent. There is no point in arguing with Suho, she knows she can’t hide from him. She nodded in defeat, admitting that she is, clearly, very much in-love with him.

“B-but it doesn’t matter anymore, oppa.” She smiled bitterly. “I’m going any way.”

“Going where?” Suho said, with a confused look on his face

“I’m dying. I have brain cancer.” Yoojung said, eyes glistening.

 

“What?” a voice said, as the pair looked at the person standing in the doorway.

“Chanyeol” Yoojung said in an almost inaudible voice as she quickly stood up from her seat.

 

Everything out from Yoojung’s eyes and the last thing she head is the love of her life calling out her name.