fin.

Deep Brown Eyes

"You know, when she glances towards the sun and the light hits her eyes they gleam in the deepest, richest shade of dark honey. Have you ever noticed how brown eyes are beautiful? They’re like the most captivating paintings of fir trees in autumn! When her eyes sparkle in shifting tones of onyx I can't help but-"


“Yebin. You live in South-east Asia. You have brown eyes. I have brown eyes. Jieqiong has brown eyes. Heck, even our Math teacher has brown eyes. What makes Minky's so special??"


"Shut it Eunwoo, she's trying to be romantic can't you see? Go on, Yebin."
 

“You don’t understand, hers are the prettiest.”

 

“Eh, it’s all the same.”

 

"Tsk tsk, you're just salty you haven't found someone to love yet. Now where was I?"


Eunwoo rolled her eyes and flopped onto the table top again. Yebin continued her dreamy monologue of Minkyung's oh so fantastic eyes while Jieqiong listened on with a love-sick expression, probably thinking of her other half. First day of the year and she was stuck with a bunch of fools (again.) The blonde yawned and stretched before standing up abruptly.
 

Eunwoo: "I'm heading to the toilet, be back in a jiffy."


She huffed when neither of her same-aged friends looked up, too caught up in their fantasy world. She paced quickly back to the main building, away from the table the trio usually sat for lunch. Reaching the main doors she swung them open with the little strength she possessed... right smack into another student.


"Careful oof-!"


Books scattered all over as the two bodies too tumbled and sprawled out unceremoniously on the floor. She groaned but hurriedly picked herself up, eager to answer nature's call. The sight of the other student (that she rammed a glass door into) kneeling and picking up the scattered books however made her hesitate. Eh, sparing a second won't hurt.


"Sorry about that, you alright?"

 

She stepped forward and offered a hand towards the other student who didn't notice. She walked further up and squatted to the latter's level.
 

"Here, I'll help."
 

Their hands reached for the same book and Eunwoo finally managed to catch her attention. When the girl did look up, Eunwoo felt her breath hitch in . Time stood still because damn when did chocolate brown eyes get so beautiful?

A few seconds passed as Eunwoo stayed in stunned silence, gawking at the other’s mesmerising orbs. Apart from the deep brown eyes that captivated her, she noticed  the other student was basically the epitome of beauty.

She had a cute nose that was actually pretty sharp, thin pink lips pressed together and full eyebrows that brought out her eyes, her adorable squishy face was framed by locks of dark brown hair ending in shades of blonde.

Curiously, she wasn’t in the standard uniform of Pledis High so it was impossible to catch a glimpse of a nametag.

In her mind Eunwoo already had a whole speech prepared.

 

I’m sorry for bumping into you I swear I’m not usually this clumsy! Wow you’re like really gorgeous. Did you like know you have the most beautiful brown eyes I’ve ever seen in my whole life that’s almost as short as I am? Can I know your name or can I just call you mine?

 

Under the intense scrutiny of Eunwoo the other girl flushed pink before ducking her head and hurriedly picking up her book, breaking Eunwoo from her daze. The two of them stood up and Eunwoo realised to her dismay that firstly, the other girl was taller than her and secondly, she really had to go to the toilet.

 

“Sorry again I have more to say but I really gotta go, I’ll find you!”

 

She waved before sprinting off in desperate search of the nearest loo. As she raced away however, a single thought came to mind. I need to know her name and get to know her! Wait for me, owner of beautiful eyes!

 

 

Eunwoo tried really hard all day to find the other student, but it’s really hard trying to find someone without even knowing their name. She asked her form teacher, gossip monger Jihyo, and even went to comb through the class lists in the General Office to no avail.

Heck, she could’ve been some teacher’s daughter or something and Eunwoo would be none the wiser. It was with resignation in her steps did she finally retire after a long day of missing and pinning into her dorm room...

Only to find an obnoxiously laughing pink-haired girl sitting on her bed, eating her chips and laying her greasy fingers all over her laptop. Wait. Pink-haired? There isn’t a pink-haired person in a 10-floor radius!

 

“Who are you? How did you get in here? Why are you in my bed? Get out!”        

 

She grabbed the bag that was hanging conveniently on her shoulder and swung it like a heavy discus, aiming for the intruder’s head. The latter looked up in irritation from the laptop screen and her eyes widened at the swinging projectile.

 

“The heck? Stop trying to hit on me! I already have a girl-”                       

 

Unfortunately, Eunwoo realised belatedly that she in fact had no experience with a discus. Her sad lack of experience came to bite her in the  as the bag jerked back wildly and slammed into her face.

 

“Ouch!”

 

While cupping her injured eye in hand, she squinted through the one eye not shut in pain.

 

“Ddiddi? Is that you?”

 

“Took you a knock on the head to recognise me? Tsk. Still as dumb as ever Nunu.”

 

“Hmph! It’s Eunwoo unnie for you!”

 

Eunwoo huffed and crossed her arms, tilting her head away defiantly. Bad idea, the action brought another bout of pain to the tiny girl as she groaned and held her head in her hands again. The intruder roommate sighed before getting off of the bed.

 

“Stop meandering about and sit your silly down, I’ll get some ice for you if I feel like it.”

 

Siyeon dragged the shorter girl’s limp body to the bed where the latter stared with an offended expression.

 

 

“That’s the least you could do! You made me hit my head!”

 

“Excuse me? Who was the one who threatened to hit me with a school bag and didn’t recognise her beautiful roommate?”

 

“How was I supposed to know it was you? When did you even dye your hair? And why bright pink? Didn’t you like your natural hair a lot? Why didn’t I see you? What happened during your-?”

 

“Damn, wait the hell up. Because it’s me, I felt like it, someone told me I’ll look good in it, I wanted to change it up, you were running around doing god knows what and yeah I had a good holiday. How was yours?”

 

“Nothing much, visited Yebin and the others, finished my work and all. Too bad Yebin and Jieqiong are gonna spend all their time now fawning over their girlfriends. I need new friends!”

 

“Speaking ‘bout new friends, I made a new one today, she’s from abroad actually. Pretty cute. Adorable brown eyes, eyebrows on fleek, cute nose, brown and blonde two-tone hair and-”

 

Eunwoo jolted upright to attention, eyes staring wide-open.

 

“Wait what? A new friend?”

 

“Yeah, and-”

 

“Brown and blonde two-tone hair?”

 

“Yes, her-”

 

“Adorable brown eyes?”

 

“Yeah? Did I stutter-”

 

“Oh my god oh my god, what’s her name-”

 

Siyeon snared and flung her toy lion into Eunwoo’s face, effectively shutting her up with a face of lion mane.

 

“Damn it Eunwoo! If you just let me finish I would’ve told you already, tsk. Her name is Kyla.”

 

“Kyla?”

 

“Yeah, Kyla Massie.”

 

“Yes! I found you.”

 

The girl with a swollen and soon-to-be black eye whispered. Slowly but surely, she started grinning while still staring into space. She broke from her staring and whooped before striking the iconic pose from the Lion King, raising Siyeon’s toy lion into the air while its owner looked on in mild concern.

 

Got it! I’ll get to know you soon, Kyla! Wait for me, owner of beautiful eyes!