Final.

Petty but Pretty
Please log in to read the full chapter

I hope this is so cheesy it makes you cringe.

 

 

To say that Yeri was nervous would be an understatement. She was a walking bundle of nerves and even a pin drop would startle her at this point.

 

See, it was not just about meeting her girlfriend of 4 months’ closest older cousin, no. Yeri always had a way to charm older people, so she was confident initially when Saeron told her that her cousin wanted to meet up with Yeri. This was a cousin who was like an older sister to Saeron, so Yeri was ready to go over the top to impress, since Saeron said her cousin was really protective of her. Yeri came to Saeron’s house today donned in her best flowy yellow dress, long trousers and branded overcoat. She also made sure to wear an expensive perfume, made up her hair nicely and even brought a freaking gift.

 

But what the .

 

She should have seen it coming.

 

No, scratch that. How could anyone ever expected this?

 

How could anyone expect that their girlfriend’s closest cousin…was also their ex-girlfriend?

 

*

 

Yeri knew she was short. Even her younger girlfriend was taller than her. But she felt especially small right now as the girl who towered over her scrutinized her with an expression as if she was forced to be in the same room with a roadkill.

 

It was really unfair, especially since Yeri the one who should have that expression on her face. In fact, she was really tempted to do so but she did not want to do anything that would make Saeron upset.

 

“Yeri unnie, this is my favourite cousin, Joy unnie. Joy unnie, this is Kim Yeri, my girlfriend.”

 

Saeron beamed as she introduced her two favourite people to each other. Joy raised an eyebrow and held out her palm, as if she was expecting Yeri to kiss it but Yeri just glared at her and awkwardly shook Joy’s hand for about 0.5 seconds before they both pulled their hands back, disgusted with each other’s hold.

 

“I’m going to cut some fruits for us okay? You two can sit in the living room and talk first.”

 

Yeri wanted to beg Saeron to not go or even offered to help Saeron but she recognized the look Saeron gave her as she walked pass Yeri. ‘Play nice’. Sure. Why not do that? Play nice with the person who would watch her trip over her own feet and laughed while recording the whole thing instead of helping her out. Make friends with the person who would sew the word ‘LOSER’ at the back of her favourite sweater just because of a trifle argument. Buddy up with the person who would on her OTP (SeulRene) to the point they broke up after one stupid, heated argument over the truest OTP.

 

Why not? Grand idea!

 

In retrospect, those were really petty reasons to hate on someone but Yeri was so much younger when she dated Sooyoung and she used to be easily pissed over these small things. Not that Sooyoung who was 3 years older than her was any better.

 

Oh yeah.

 

“Joy? Forreal? Which girl did you murder and steal her identity?”

 

Yeri hissed as Saeron disappeared from view. She was not sure that Saeron was not eavesdropping so she was careful with her volume. Joy/Sooyoung squinted her eyes but she did not immediately reply. Only when the sound of water running from the sink was heard, Joy/Sooyoung spoke. Apparently she shared the same thought as Yeri – Saeron should not hear whatever it was they were talking about now. Not surprising, since devils think alike.

 

“Shut your trap. I go by Joy for years now so you better just call me that like everyone else.”

 

“Which part of you is joyful, Joy-ssi?”

 

“The part when I don’t allow Saeron to continue dating you.”

 

Yeri’s jaw fell from shock as Joy triumphantly look at her nails with a half smirk.

 

“DON’T YOU DARE, PARK SOOYOUNG.”

 

“Call me that again, and I’ll be the evil mother in law you see in dramas.”

 

“….sorry….Joy….”

 

“What? I can’t be sure if I’m hearing this correctly but were you using informal speech with someone older?”

 

“I mean, sorry, Joy unnie.”

 

Yeri muttered the word ‘unnie’ with a voice dripping with venom but Joy could care less. She was fully smirking now and she looked really satisfied with herself. At that moment, Saeron appeared from the kitchen with a huge smile on her face and brought forth a plate of kiwi and pineapple.

 

“Hey unnies. Are you getting along well?”

 

Yeri replied with enthusiastic nods while Joy cleared and bellowed awkwardly, “Yes, Rongie. This Yerim here seems like a good kid.”

 

“Yerim? That’s strange. Yeri unnie usually never tell people her full name when she first meet them. I guess you guys are really getting along well.”

 

Saeron placed the plate on the coffee table and moved to sit beside Yeri, completely missing the death glare that Joy and Yeri were giving each other. They chatted for a while about Joy’s work as a graphic designer and what sort of work that Yeri was going to do after she finished school, since Yeri was in her final year. Everything appeared to be calm and civilized until Saeron suddenly clapped her hands in excitement, since she just remembered something.

 

“That’s right! Yeri unnie! You said you’re going to bring present for Joy unnie right?”

 

Yeri wished the earth could swallow her whole now. She clutched the paper bag she had placed at the end of her legs tighter, wishing she would not be forced to give it to the Satan’s spawn but Joy’s evil grin and Saeron’s encouraging nudge suggested otherwise. With slightly shaky hands, Yeri passed the bag over to Joy and watched as Joy got hold of her one week’s salary from her part-time job.

 

Seriously. What was it with love that messed up with your hormones and convinced you buying super expensive gifts you could barely afford for your girlfriend’s family member was a good idea?

 

Yeri should write a paper on that.

 

While Yeri was mourning over the loss of her money, Joy had brutally ripped open the wrapping paper that Yeri had tenderly wrapped with caution and care. She finally took out a box of something out of the destroyed wrapping paper and as Saeron leaned closer to Joy in anticipation…

 

“Diet chocolates??? What the do you think I’m fat?”

 

“Urm.”

 

“Unnie, go easy on her.”

 

“Saeron, I will not tolerate anyone who doesn’t acknowledge me as anything less than perfect in this household.”

 

“Well I’m not dating you, so I don’t have to think that you’re perfect. Saeron is the most perfect person here and not you.”

 

Yeri and Joy started to glare at each other with an intensity that could burn any chocolates that was in between them. Saeron was flustered by the sudden compliment but realized that she had to do something about the both of them quickly.

 

“Uhhh. Let’s watch the TV. We can order chicken! Joy unnie! How’s that? We can order your favourite grilled chicken! And Yeri unnie, we can get your marinated chicken!”

 

She tried her best to pacify the two people who were supposedly older than her. Luckily, they both agreed on ordering chicken and the tense atmosphere slowly dissipated although all of them were quiet now, instead of having small conversation like they had had before. Inwardly groaning, Saeron switched on the TV and flicked the channel mindlessly, until she stopped at a channel that was showing the girl group, Tiramisu’s performance and she sent a silent thank you to the heaven.

 

Yeri and Joy both loved Tiramisu, so this should lift their mood a bit. True enough, both of them leaned forward from their seats and paid full attention to the TV. Saeron thought everything was going well and she even saw hints of smile in their expressions. For a while, peace was recovered in the household until something unexpected happened.

 

‘Uh, oh.’

 

Saeron wanted to bang her head to the TV because it betrayed her in the worst way possible.

 

“Hey look! Seulgi was pulling Irene’s hand, navigating through the crowd

Please log in to read the full chapter