Prologue - Not a Love Story

At Rendezvous

The eyes are the window to one's soul.

 

Perhaps that is true, because it is the eyes that he first noticed. Those dazzling eyes that he saw from across the room. He was a vendor of steamed buns from across the street, and she was a university student at that time.

 

They were in the same shop for the same reason—it was pouring outside ceaselessly. It is as if the rain wasn't planning on stopping anytime, and they both wanted to be stranded indoors for the duration.

 

Perhaps, it was the universe that decided they meet without even speaking. It was a wordless interaction, just a series of subtle gestures and exchanges of smiles. 

 

It was like that for a while. She would sit on the booth by the window, and he would be sitting anywhere facing her, just not directly across her. Every Wednesday afternoon, at 4:30. It was a fun game they had. But would it be too naïve if he says that maybe he was in love?

 

They did eventually talk. He learnt that she wanted to be a chef, but her mother thought it was ridiculous. She was studying law instead. She absolutely hated it. It was her mother's dream. She likes to drink cinnamon and apple tea, and the locket she's wearing was a gift from her father that was her grandmother's.

 

She liked to talk, and he enjoyed to  watch her pretty mouth move with every single word. She is beautiful.

 

He wishes he was as wonderful as her; full of life and has dreams that she actually wanted to chase.

 

He had always anticipated her to the point that he got a job on the diner where they met. She laughed at him when she first saw him on his uniform, not out of mockery, of course. She thought it was adorable, and that he looked very handsome.

 

There were times where she'd turn up feeling really down, or really stressed out. He'd always be there if she tells him to come. It was always in that diner. They never met outside elsewhere. He just feels the need to console her and be there when she needs.

 

However, this is not a love story.

 

Days have passed and she still hasn't come back. She didn't say anything at all, just completely stopped coming back.

 

That's when he realised that he never really got her name, despite the countless meetings they had. He also realised that because of that, she is nothing but another stranger. It was an odd feeling.

 

He didn't really dwell on that loss, because how could you lose something, or someone, you didn't even have in the first place? He can't really hold a grudge, or he can't really say that his heart was broken. But she always stayed in his mind, and a special place in his heart.

 

That is why he ended up buying the place when the owner of the diner thought of putting it up to the market. He didn't even know what he was doing at first, but then again he never really figured out what he wants to be in his life.

 

So that is how he decided that he'll probably just start cooking. Whether she became a lawyer or actually went to study culinary, he figured that maybe, he will fulfil her dreams on her behalf. 

 

But maybe, when she comes back to their meeting place, if she ever does, he will still be there.

 

His name, their existence and her dreams that he fulfilled for her.

 

There, at their meeting place. At their rendezvous.

===

A/N: hello! this is against my will to post stuff without being 100% about it once again, but y’all waited long enough! 

 

sorry for the mistakes lol this is another 3AM impulse > < until then, ciao~