Cappuccino

Dating Chronicles of a Coffee Lover

When I recall my experience I always, remember that my love life starts just a bit after High school graduation, when I was a young, energetic a pretty flower and I thought love was just easy and fun, spoiler alert is not.

Naturally, our first victim story is about the pure and perfect first love it might be a bit cliché but all first love are like that so let’s begin!

In that particularly morning, I was completely awake; my eyes were mindlessly looking at the celling searching for an excuse to stay in bed forever but on other hand, the anticipation was completely real, my heart was pounding so fast just at the thought of the plans of that day.

“Today is the big day! “My older sister Hyunah abruptly entered my room, she then proceed to make herself comfortable in my bed

“Why are you making such a big deal?” I rolled my eyes as I sat down, deciding it was time to face reality. “Just shut up and let me enjoy it!” She chuckled, “Here, so you can start the day with a good start” My sister handed me a cup and hurried me to drink it, doubting her a bit I squinted my eyes at her.

“I swear it’s safe! I know I cannot mess with your coffee,” She said feeling a bit offended with the doubt, I chuckled and decided to believe her then took a big sip.

“Hmm…Cappuccino.” I mumbled, as I tasted the sweet beverage. I agree that this one is the most basic form of coffee but I had always been attached to it, you can always count on a good cappuccino when you do not want to risk with your choices, I looked down at the white foam that was slowly dissolving and I just was reminded of him.

His name was Jimin, he was a very sweet boy, we were each other crush since we were on High school but we never said it aloud, but suddenly when we reached our 19th birthday, which fun fact is on the same day he confessed to me and asked me out. He was my first boyfriend and the reason of my nervousness that morning. That day we were going to have our very first date.

-

“I’m off!” I shouted before taking my keys and cellphone, “Want you back at 9, Hyunie!” My dad shouted back and I could only smile at his persistence. I peeked out the window and saw Jimin car outside, making me feel my breath stop for a moment.

 However, I needed to go out there so I finally opened the door to greet a very surprised Jimin. “Hey…I was just about to ring the bell” he smiled shyly. “Oh…sorry.” I was avoiding his eyes at all cost, I remember being so nervous that the back of my neck was a sweaty mess; sorry if isn’t the best thing to picture.

Anyways, after sharing a long awkward silence, we got on his car and Jimin immediately the radio, easing the atmosphere for a bit.

“Since when are we this awkward?” Jimin finally broke the silence, “Oh well you can’t expect me to be the same… I mean just a week ago we were friends and I don’t know about you but I can’t act like always now that I am constantly aware that I am sharing the same air with the person I like.” After rambling away, I sighed aloud. “Oh …” I covered my face in realization, and then looked at him who was as bright red like a strawberry.

“Uhm… same” He mumbled as if the embarrassment only allowed him let out those words.

When we got to our destination, a lovely coffee shop that just opened few weeks ago I felt even more nervous, it was getting difficult to hear my surroundings with my heart pounding with all force.

“I’ll have the Cappuccino” Jimin said to the waiter with  big smile then he looked at me asking me to order as well, nervously I stuttered for the tenth time that day, “I will just have a Blueberry smoothie” The waiter nodded in response and left us all alone with our awkward selves.

“So…Hyun, how was the exam… do you think you got into the Sky Uni?” Jimin wondered finally breaking the dead silence.

“Oh I think it went well! I am very confident … how about you?” I asked cheerily but instead he got all gloomy. “It will go well…” he said after a long sigh.

“But even if you don’t do that well…you can still go to Busan!” I told him trying to cheer him up. “But then what about us?” and I felt so guilty with those words, I forgot we were dating for a moment.

“Uhm, then I can go visit you and… we can do a lot of things together” I rambled once again and Jimin just chuckled. “I am joking, don’t panic.” He suddenly reached out his hand and I could feel his warmth getting close to my face. I closed my eyes anticipating his soft touch and I was pretty sure my heart was going to explode at any second.

“Here is your order!” The waiter chipped in as he left our drinks in the table, startling Jimin who retracted his hand as fast as he could, we could only sigh in disappointment.

The afternoon went by so fast after the awkwardness vanished, we got to talk like always and it was a very nice date, he took me home but we stayed talking in the car not wanting to part ways.

“The drinks were nice, but honestly the cappuccino left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth!” He complained and I chuckled in response “I think that supposed to happen, the drink is soft and sweet at the beginning but after some time it gets bitter when you are getting used to it.” I explained completely invested in the conversation.

“What?” I stopped talking and asked Jimin who was quietly resting his chin on the steering wheel; he was looking directly at me. “You have no idea of how pretty you are.” He said smiling gently.

“Were you even paying attention of what I was saying?” I scoffed trying to hide my embarrassment. “I was just looking at you…at your eyes” He cupped my face, as he got closer to me. “Your lips…” His words trailed away and I shut my eyes.

He kissed my lips once barely touching them; I opened my eyes thinking it ended, we locked eyes and then he kissed me once again, this time with more movement. The two of us were inexperienced so after some seconds we stopped and laughed at the lack of kissing abilities we had.

It was our first kiss, not planned or rehearsed. It was a natural sign of how much we cared and wanted to be together, the perfect kiss.

-

Days after my date with Jimin, the entrance exam results were announced, that day my parents, siblings and I were at the living room with the laptop in front of us.

“Okay Hyun… ready for a life without a college degree” My brother teased me gaining a smack on the head from my mom. “Hyunwoo! That’s not the support your sister is looking for!” My brother rubbed his head on pain but kept silent.

“Okay, Hyunnie… click it now” My father hurried me wanting to know the results. “Pa! Don’t rush her, it’s a life changing result let her take her time.” My Sister reasoned as she slapped his knee. Like my brother, he rubbed the pained area and exchanged pitiful looks with Hyunwoo.

“I don’t know anymore!” I finally clicked on the results and shut my eyes tightly; afterwards I heard some gasps and loud cheering.

“You did it!” My mom shouted and hugged me with force then the rest of the family joined. I opened my eyes in the mid of the hug and was confused with all the sudden love. “I got accepted?” I asked making sure it was not a dream.

“Yes, you precious thing!” Hyunwoo yelled excited as he squeezed my cheeks as I let out a big sigh afterwards tears of happiness and relief started to fall.

When my family comforted me and stopped showering me with love, I hurriedly went to my room and dialed Jimin number; I could not wait to tell him.

“Can we talk? I am outside” He said immediately after getting my call, not giving me a chance to talk, his tone was more serious than ever.

I went outside and got inside his car, just when I hoped in Jimin welcomed me with a tight hug.

“I got in the University of Busan…” He breathed on my neck, sounding dejected but relieved at the same time.

“That is great news!” I said sincerely happy, then i patted him in the back, “What about the University here in Seoul you got in, right?” I asked thinking I knew the answer, I was completely sure he got in.

Jimin stiffened and broke the hug. “I… did not.” He said looking extremely ashamed. My face fell and my head started to spin, trying to figure out just one very thing.

“Then what about us!?” I asked in full panic mode, we just had started going out and even if I did tell him I would visit him and all, I was not sure how to continue the relationship.

That day was the start of a long journey.

-

A/N : Here is it! as you can see the story is being told by the MC and its only her point of view as she recalls her memories, but if you get confused be sure to tell me!