ETMY

ENCHANTED TO MEET YOU

It started off as the nastiest day.

For one, his phone decided to reboot sometime during the night,hence messing with all his personalised alarms. If Woohyun were to go by it, he'd have to wake up during next year's mid spring and meet his friends two days ago. Manageable. 

Next, the coffee machine had to gurgle the last drops of something looking close to mud into the thinnest glass he had sleepily misplaced instead of the chopped mug he usually used. The mess that followed the spilling of the hot drink would make his mom cringe with dread. Not only did he stain his favourite shirt, he also managed to both burn his hand and cut his finger in the broken glass. Manageable, still. 

Don't even get him started on missing the bus; not that bad, considering he's left his wallet at home and couldn't've convinced the driver to give him a -God forbid- free ride,anyways! So, running it was! Manageable.

The only thing standing in the way of his 'manageable' routine turned out to be the drawling stop he'd encountered just a few blocks ahead his uni. The thing must've been broken or something. How long could it take to switch a damn red light into a green one?! He felt like he'd been standing there for half his life,already!

Tapping his foot nervously, he checked his watch every two seconds. Not like time would pass faster, pabo! 

And then, as if things didn't go enough south as they already have....his mom decided to video call, the screeching ring making all the others around him throw disapproving looks his way.

" Mom, hey...i kno..."

His words were cut short (surprise-surprise!) by the wailing his mother always bestowed upon him: why didn't he call first,why it took him so long to answer, didn't he have the tinniest consideration for her 18 hours labour to send her a text once in a while just to let her know he was ok, when was he coming home, when will she meet the mother of her grandkids? Mothers...manageable creatures,most of the times. 

" Mom, we've been through this already. I'm adopted! Stop using the labour excuse." Woohyun smiled warmly at her wrinkled sweet face. She had a princess tiara hanging cutely on the side of her curly greying hair." Did you babysit Jiae again?" he giggled, recalling his neighbours' kid's habbit of playing princess with him whenever he offered to help them( he did get extra money out of it, but he also loved the girl to pieces).

" I wouldn't have to, if you'd finally settle down and offspring on your own."she pouted.

" OMG, mom, where did this language come from? Who talks like this?" he cringed at her attempt to go with the current flow. He wanted to laugh outloud, but he was afraid the strangers were gonna have his head.

" Are you still ashamed of your trendy mother? Who's there next to you that you shy away?! I know my son and he wouldn't go back on a good chat, unless ...omo, are you with your sweetheart, by any chance?!"she squealed,clamping shut. Show me, show me...just a glimpse, please, my forever favourite son!" she pleaded, sending finger hearts. Manageable try, anyway.

"I'm your only son. That I know of." Woohyun, stressed, shaking his head  with slight amusement. She never learned to do those right; it always looked like she'd throw a pinch of salt towards him. But she was too cute for trying to be sweet to him! How not to love such a wonderful person?

"Mom, come on.We're on the road, people are watching..." he tried muting the convo by pressing the phone to his shoulder,facing it downwards.

"I knew it! You have company!" the woman clapped happily. "And he's such a catch. You dog, how long were you gonna keep him all for yourself?! I'm coming by tonight! Make sure you have that enchanting boy next to you, or else! I'm not growing younger, let me give my blessing while I'm still sane."

Woohyun was sure she already lost it for a while now. What was she talking about?! Frowning, he looked past his shoulder, coming face to face with a  currently standing hooded mop of dark brown hair, casually cracking his neck, knitted brows showing off a tiny discomfort, behind the face mask. Maybe the guy was coming down with flu or something?!

He didn't really register much beyond the slightly flushed alabaster skin showing off his neck and the dark thick eyelashes shadowing the rosy cheeks.

Woohyun's lips parted ever so lightly, letting a soft sigh escape them. He was spellbound. Until those eyes actually opened and Woohyun ....fell.

Somehow, he managed to send his mom off, ending the call with a distracted kiss, before he was being pushed backwards to cross the street along the crowd that had gathered at the stop.

It all felt like a crazy slow motion movie scene. You know, those that any girl would swoon over, cooing at the sweetness that the main characters were experiencing with their chance meeting. He never understood such shallow daydreaming. Hello,who the heck has time to make eye contact in the middle of a pouring rain or a busy street?! How slow can you walk for it to look like you barely blinked?

Served him right! Sungjong would've had the time of his life laughing in his face. He always threatened karma would avenge him for every single time Woohyun had criticized his foolish romantic side.

He had to thank his athletic side for being able to walk backwards without falling on his , though he was much more preoccupied with staring into the glassy eyes returning his intense gaze. He had an inkling the man was smiling behind his mask, if he was judging correctly the way his eyes were turning into small crescents.

And then, just like a figment of his -admitedly- huge imagination, the guy passed by him running into the arms of a very broad smiling? Myungsoo; he was his junior in two courses and never had Woohyun seen him display anything but a blank face.

He had to have sparked some interest, judging by the sudden frown decorating his uni fellow. Wow, that's a whilrwind of emotions out of the blue. Who knew Myung had it in him?!

His study subject has suddenly rushed towards him, grabbing his sorry away from the honking car speeding its way toward him.

" ing watch it, hyung!" Myungsoo shouted, waking him from his stupour.

" Sor...ry, I was...thanks for ...you know..." he stuttered.

" Real articulate, please refrain from such eloquent speech." the other one snickered.

" Yah, I'm still your senior! Watch your ...come to think of it,when did you develop talking skills?!" Woohyun sassed.

" Just before learning sign language. You do know how to read between lines, right?" he showed him the glued middle three fingers before retracting the upper and lower ones.

Woohyun chocked on spit. Did he just flip him the finger?? 

Before he could even think of reacting, the other guy smacked Myungsoo's head, flailing his hands in  a frantic speed. To Woohyun it looked like the most bewitching dance, hypnotized by the pale fingers which seemed like they had a mind of their own.

" Sorry, hyung. But he acted stupid just now!" Myungsoo rubbed at his nape, soon after joining that sickeningly attractive finger routine.

Guess he did know sign language, after all.

Which was a lot less that could be said about Woohyun, who found himself jealous of their silent interaction.

Way to go! The day just kept getting nastier by the hour.

Much to his awe, the stranger came close to him, bowing and making a praying stance, probably apologizing on behalf of Myungsoo, who almost screeched in anger at that.

" Stop it. There's no need for that, hyung. In fact, it's him who should be thankful." the younger sent him a death glare, while prompting the stranger to straighten up again.

"That is ...right, actually." Woohyun found himself saying. "As a token of appreciation, what do you say if  I invite you both to dinner." he offered, looking for any sign of approval. He was aiming killing two birds in one strike: ease his mom's worry and getting Myungsoo off his case. If he ever learned anything about the kid, he knew for a fact he could hold some mean grudges. Plus, he was dating the principal's son and he couldn't risk his studies getting under the looking glass, just because the kid might be pissed at him.

"This wouldn't have anything to  do with me being engaged to Sungyeol,would it?" Myunsoo squinted his eyes at him.

Crap! He saw right through that!

Before he could aknowledge how similar that was to the other guy, Woohyun practically yelled, bawling his eyes out.

" When the heck did that happen?!" 

Judging by the stanger's reaction, he must've been just as shocked.

So, in front of a double attack, the kid (not so much) took the coward's way out, accepting the invitation and dragging the other along with him.

"It's a date, then, hyung. We'll be there after you send me the adress." he nodded his head with slight mockery, pulling at the other's arm. "I have to give Gyu a lift, you kinda stalled our schedule..." he yelled over his shoulder.

"Seriously....could this day get any worse?!" Woohyun deadpanned, pinching his nose out of habbit.

Eight hours later, he came to regret his questioning. 

Not only did Myungsoo come accompanied by his fiancee and - God help him- older brother, he also took the liberty of inviting his future father in law, taking the chance to oficially meet the family, sorta speak.

Woohyun had trouble finding his voice or words. Where...why would he have to fit in with such a situation? The only family he could possibly care introducing was his mom; who never even met Myungsoo before, hence didn't understand what all the commotion was about.

" Are you out of your mind?! What were you thinking? What am I even saying; you obviously weren't thinking." he slapped the younger on the head, while whisper/yelling at him. They had retreated in the kitchen to bring some light snacks before dinner, but Woohyun was already popping beer cans to put off the heated atmosphere outside.They needed alcohol! Badly!! Scratch that: he needed it.

" Hyung, this is a distress call. HELP a brother out, huh? You owe me one." Myungsoo lowered his voice.

" How the hell did you think this is gonna be better?" Woohyun pointed towards the living room." We barely talk if not for Jjongie's meddling. Kinda makes me dread the day we met through his common ....."

" Oh, please. If he weren't Sungyeol's baby brother, I wouldn't  have to put up with your sorry ." Myungsoo tsked. " BUT, if you could focus on the current situation, I'm willing to let it pass." he stressed the urgency of the situation.

" This the stupidest thing you ever did." Woohyun scoffed, taking a big gulp of beer and almost spilling it the next second.

"I'm begining to think rescuing you was ."

" You need my help or not?!" he wiped his mouth, glaring at the younger pest.

Woohyun was already fuming and he had the nerve to fan that flame?

" Sorry,Ok. I only want you to distract my bro. I need his consent, but I kinda accepted Yeol's proposal before I could get it and he can be a mule when stepped on his tail. Maybe if he has his attention redirected, he won't put up a big fight....and, you know, accept things easier."

" Doesn't he approve of Yeollie?" Woohyun wondered. He didn't seem to have a problem.

" Yeah, but his dad is a whole different topic." Myungsoo admitted deflected.

He didn't get any additional info, his mom suddenly chirping her way around the kitchen and ushering them inside the barely accomodating living room.

"If I knew I'd stumble into a WW 3 situation, I wouldn't have brought poor Jiae along. She's been fussing for the past half hour. Thank God your hubbie is such a honeybee, Hyunnie." she patted his cheek." Or should I say honeydude?" she winked, much to his chagrin.

Myungsoo chuckled...he friggin' chuckled!, making Woohyun seriously debating his breathing skills.

" I like your mom's trendy...speech."

" Gawd, this is just the worst day!" Woohyun whined. "Mom, please, stick to the norm and keep the slang at bay." he begged. It was no wonder she pinched his cheeks, squealing yet again at how cute he was when he flustered.

" He doesn't accept he has a cool mother." she took Myungsoo's hand, patting it warmly.

" However did you put up with him so far?" the younger played along.

" Ok, seriously, where's this new attitude coming from?! The most reaction I got from you was a chocked laugh when Jjongie wished me Happy Birthday. " he complained at their retreating backs. "Hello! I was talking, here..." Woohyun tried making his point. So much for getting anyone's attention.

No one bothered answering. 

Nasty day!

Once he joined them, not that anyone considered helping him joggle the trays, he came to another alarming picture. Myungsoo's older brother was under beauty squad attack: Jiae had already tagged him as the next best thing as her model, clumsily outlining his lips with the brightest pink lipgloss.

"You are pretty." she squealed, admiring her masterpiece. "But you need this to look even more pwetty. Here, I will bahruh my fawvahite clip." she smiled, unclasping rather roughly the said item from her hair and attacking his scalp with it the next second. Her baby talk was delicious on the ears; she was back at it whenever she had too much to say and not enough patience to form the words correctly.

Judging from his painful grimace, it must've seriously done some skin damage( Woohyun was all too aware of it from his previous babysittings), but the guy simply patted the glossy flower as if he was on cloud #9 with joy. His failed aegyo attempt was the cherry on top, making Woohyun cackle a loud laughter, much to the other's chagrin. 

I'm never getting near a date at this rate.

"O.M.G.!!" Woohyun's mom screeched, getting every single person's attention."If it isn't the prettiest thing I've seen in the last 27 years." Her eyes were glowing.

"I agree, Jiae has a real eye for the fashion." Sungyeol came closer. "And Woohyun was always a beauty tracker." he winked at him." Woah, Jiae...hyung looks amazing." he brushed her hair, congratulating her efforts.

" I am so sorry." Woohyun finally came to his senses, putting down the tray with snacks and hurrying to whipe the other's awed face. "It's usually me who puts up with her games, but..."

Frantic hand movements stopped him midway. He only had to follow his eyes to understand why he should refrain from getting rid of the make-up. Jiae was sulking borderline wailing.

! She'll think I hate her talent...

"Oh...Jiae ah...look, doesn't he look more beautiful with the flower clip on his left side?" Woohyun staggered around the velvety locks, his own trembling fingers fidgeting with the brightly coloured item.

He should've stopped when the other's glare pinned him in place, but those wretched fingers had a mind of their own....it was the softest hair he had touched in a while.

The little monster came closer for her own inspection, aproving with a happy 'Jjang!', before putting aside all other topics.

Or that's what everyone thought, until she stopped midway running for the yummy snacks.

So much for classy missy.

Woohyun was suddenly gulping.That look, it couldn't be a good omen.

His fears had come to life next thing he knew.

"ppo-ppo." she said with a child's honesty. The truest there is.

"Uhm, Jiae, honey...that's not..."

Mom, not even the Heavens will help us now.

"What's that?" Myungsoo brings in a helping hand. Bastard.

Anyone looking at him would understand he only wanted to play with Woohyun's nerves. The mischievous smirk was making the elder boil inside.

"Oh..that's our special tradition." Woohyun's mother smiled kindly."After each make-over, we'd peck little princess to give her the final touch of perfection, right,Jiae?" she winked, hugging the little pest.

"Ppo-ppo." the girl pouted, eyeing Woohyun to go for it, unless he wanted to face serious consequences.

"Ji....I can't." Woohyun said, blushing without chance of hiding it.

"Ppo-ppo."she stomped her tiny foot, already on the brink of throwing a tantrum.

Woohyun was desperately begging his mother to help him, but the old woman just shrugged her shoulders in defeat.

Sure, pretend to be strangers.What happened to the 18 hours of labour?

"Oh, what the heck..."

Before he could react to the new voice, Woohyun felt a warm hand at the back of his head pulling him forward to soft, srawberry flavoured lips. 

It was the shortest kiss, but the most wrecking to his senses.

He wanted to say something, to ask so many other...but he was numbed down in total bliss.

Myungsoo's brother decided to have the final say, successfully falling forward into Woohyun's chest.It was just then that he felt the heat wafting from him.

"Hyung...are...are you ok?" Myung grabbed the older's attention by putting a hand on his shoulder. 

"Swooning over a peck." his future father in law scoffed, drawing everyone's scowls.

"Shut it, dad."

"Mom, I think he has a fever." Woohyun frowned, checking the temperature on the other's forehead.He didn't realise he actually brushed his lips over it while doing so; his mother had done it so many times when he was a kid, it was imprinted in his instincts.

"Oh...well, let's lie him down, then. Poor thing."

"I'm sorry...but, could I take him home?" Myungsoo interrupted our efforts."We've intruded enough." he fussed over his older bother's head.

"Don't be stupid. He's sick."Woohyun cut him short. 

"I will take my dad home. You want to stay behind?" Sungyeol offered.

"Are you actually asking him?"the elder nagged.

"Could we not do this now? Here?"

"It's fine, I'll take my leave."the elder stated with contempt."I don't mingle with weak souls."

"That is uncalled for.Sir." Myungsoo sneeeeered.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience."Sungyeol bowed to all. "Please, take good care of him.We'll talk tomorrow." he kissed Myungsoo,before ushering his father to the exist.

The awkward atmosphere was halted by Jiae's shrieks. It was a near-miss fall,if not for Woohyun's fast reflexes, catching Sunggyu before he hit the floor in his shaking state.

Myungsoo was already calling for authorised help, while the girls stood aside.

"This isn't a first."Woohyun looked at the younger carefully following through the on call advice. He rushed to bring some wet towels after he secured Sunggyu's head under a pillow.

"Hyung..."

The distress in Myungsoo's voice was somewhat allarming, but Woohyun tried to act cool.

"He'll be ok. No kiss of mine had killed anyone,so far."

"Hear that,hyung? If only for that, you have to come to your senses and put this lovebird into his place."Myungsoo wailed, his eyes tearing.

The elder had stopped seizuring a while back, but the dread was looming over them.

"It's a side effect after his treatment. HE ...said he got it under control.I should've known better."Myungsoo finally spoke.

"Damn...I really hoped I had this strong effect."Woohyun tried joking.

"Not to stress, but he was the one kissing you."the younger chuckled.

"You call that kissing? It was a small peck."

"Sure, be bitter about it."

"Hey...I've been meaning to ask. Isn't he..."

"He lost 70% of his hearing. We're treating the rest of 30% ,hoping it won't be completely gone."Myungsoo explained."It's a painful procedure, I don't know how hyung keeps up with it.He already started using sign language."

"He must love a certain sound, then.Won't give it up easily. Don't be sorry for that."Woohyun patted his hand.

Woohyun understood him. People longed for what they could have ,but were denied. There wouldn't be anything standing in his way, if he put his mind to it.

"I'll be sure to ask him. Listen, hyung. I'm thankful for all the help."

"I won't spill a word."Woohyun assured him. "Mom is the best secret keeper."

"What about Jiae?" Myungsoo frowned.

"OMG, she's already mingling with the big league?!" Woohyun huffed.

"Nooo, God. I hope not." Myungsoo laughed. "Ok, I get your point."

"Better be straight., kiddo. Man, wait til I tell Jjongie you called me hyung." he squealed. I gotta mark this day, where's my calendar?" he rushed to find it.

He knew the brothers needed some time alone. And he wanted to check on his mom who retreated with Jiae into his room. He found them deep asleep. The image was so home-like. Still, he couldn't help to wonder how it would've felt to lay in the arms of his real mother. He loved his mom, but he wanted to know about his real one, too.

Leaning on the threshold, his arms crossed, Woohyun peeked at the soft breaths mingled in unison. They sure sounded nice. He couldn't imagine a life without hearing it.

Not something manageable.

With silent steps, he went back,finding Myungsoo fast asleep, his head leaning on the armrest of his neon purple couch.

However, something was amiss.

More like someone.

"Where did he go?" he searched the room, his heart doing sommerhaults.

Thank god he had a tiny apartment; it wasn't long before he stumbled across the other, frantically rummaging through his freezer.

"Hey, did you need something?" he offered his help, exhaling calmly.

Not getting an answer , he closed in on him gently grabbing him by the shoulder.

He regretted it when the other jumped , leaning on the far wall to support himself; truthfully , he didn't look well at all.

"I'm sorry...didn't you...damn, I guess you didn't hear me afterall." Woohyun mumbled to himself.

He was startled by the other's fingers on his chin, guiding him to face each other. Though he was squinting his eyes, most probably from pain, he urged Woohyun to repeat his words.

"Again..." he asked.

"Oh..I wanted to know if I could help you with anything."

Woohyun was losing his mind over the intensity of Sunggyu's gaze. Sunggyu,yes. His name is Sunggyu, idiot.

"Ice." came the anguished reply.

"That's...hard to get...but, here. We can use this pack of green beans." Woohyun hurried to retrieve the frozen item, brushing lightly his shoulder."Is this better?" he said, handing it to him.

Again, Sunggyu's arm clutched hard on his nape, signaling with his other hand to look him in the eyes.

"It hurts...to follow sounds." he closed his eyes shut, pressing the beans to his head.

Gradually, he opened one eye, pointing a finger to Woohyun's lips and signing for him to go slow.

The younger was simply lost for words. All that skinship and even his strained voice were swarming in a beautiful feeling.

"Do these help?" he asked, in a shushed timbre.

" Your lips...are easy on the eyes." Sunggyu disclosed, much to Woohyun's shock.

It took him a while before he woke up from the marvel.

"I meant the frozen beans..." Woohyun gulped, his lips airheadedly.

" I know." the curt smile undid Woohyun for good. "I'm not sure. Do I sound well, now?" he frowned.

"Yes. But are you in pain? What can I do...don't you want me to wake Myung....?"

Woohyun's fussing came to a stop when Sunggyu's cold fingers pressed down on his mouth, tapping on them in a calming beat.

"He needs rest."Sunggyu bent his head down, the small wail not escaping Woohyun's ears.

"What about you?"Woohyun nudged his chest.

"I'm already better. It's an old routine."

Well, the younger was experiencing it for the first time and he wasn't a particular fan. He wanted to help, but he found himself unskilled. His fast speech only pained Sunggyu, having to deal with double the trouble to understand him.

"This is the nastiest day." Woohyun whined.

" I don't know. I was enchanted to meet you."Sunggyu grinned." You were a nice distraction."

"How did you know?" the younger gawked.

"I raised Myunggie.I know what his mind can plan."

"Will you bless their..."

"Aren't they already engaged? This was just a plot to make amends with Yeol's father. But , it doesn't concern you." the other tried to step by, but failed so.

If not for Woohyun, he would've kissed the floor. Then again, if not for this day, he would've missed on a lot of things.So, the younger didn't complain much .

Easing both of them back into the living room, Woohyun mouthed his next words, in order to not wake Myungsoo up.

Sunggyu reached for his phone, typing weakly on the device.

#I like hearing your voice...

"Me ,too. "

#Conceited much? ^^

"Hey, I meant yours."Woohyun pouted cutely."You keep messing with me."

#You did it first.

"Well, you kissed me first."

#That was the strangest ppo-ppo. Do you knock down all your lovers?

"Only the prettiest pink lipped ones."Woohyun admitted, winking at him.

#I should thank, Jiae for the help.

"Be grateful you are not wearing her tiara." he snickered.

#I wouldn't want to steal the spotlight. You looked beautiful with it in the photos your mom showed me.

Sunggyu chuckled in silence, making Woohyun's heart to beat erratically. He was beyond falling at this point. He was too deep, he feared he'd not survive if he didn't receive the same reaction from the one in front of him.

Before he could get cold feet, he leaned forward, clear intent of kissing him properly, but got interrupted by the padded sound of someone aproaching.

"Oh, Jiae...what's the matter?"

He didn't realise he adressed her without sound. How much in tune was he already with Sunggyu? 

The kid was eyeing him weary, her tiny mouth yawning prettily. 

"I need to go potty." she stated, rubbing at her own eyes.

" And I need to look for mom."Woohyun finally whispered in defeat.

"It's ok. I'm here." the woman joined them suddenly. She was a light sleeper, Woohyun didn't find it peculiar at all. "You two go lay down; I'll take Jiae back home once she's done with her business. You take good care of my son-in-law, you hear me, Hyunnie?" she pecked  Sunggyu's forehead, patting Woohyun on the shoulder.

With Myungsoo snorring lightly beside them, Woohyun stared Sunggyu down, helping him get up on his feet.

His smug snicker left no room for the imagination.

"You heard the lady...let's hit the bed." he mouthed.

#I'm deaf, didn't you get the memo?

Sunggyu might've meant to joke about it, but it looked bitter on his face.

"Only by 70%. I can deal with the remaining 30 %."

Manageable odds...