Shifting

All in your head
Please log in to read the full chapter

By contrast when she first woke up, the room is surprisingly dark. She narrows her eyes, cursing the lack of light for not letting her see. In the struggle, she cranes her neck forward, and feels the lack of restraints around it. The thought of not being crazy surges in her mind, and she makes little whooping sounds in her head with the revelation.

She tries to reach for the switch of the nightlight on her table, and promptly freezes when her wrists encounter resistance. Numerous short high-pitched shrieks fill the room, her brain following the natural instinct to shout when in danger. She was still bound to the table, a patient diagnosed with a mental illness confined to therapy and restricted so she wouldn’t hurt herself.  Any minute now, the staff would be bursting into the room pumping her full of tranquilizers to keep her calm, her brain tells her. She thinks that she’s just another one of those crazy people in those movies Eunwoo liked watching. She wonders if Eunwoo was even real.

Her face is soon covered with something and her heartbeat quickens even more. She tries to struggle, to tear away the unknown restricting her breathing and shouting, and her arms break free of her bindings. When she touches it, she realizes it has a soft, near velvety feel, and is fully convinced she has touched something like it before. She tries to remember what it was, and moments later a voice breaks her out of her thoughts.

“What are you screaming about? It’s 2 in the morning, have you lost your mind?”

She barely hears the muttered words, but her mind automatically connects the pieces for her. Turning on the lights, she confirms the idea formed in her head. She sees her other wrist, still tied down by the blanket tangled with her other limbs, and her other hand holding Sungyeon’s really soft pillow. Her breathing eases, having released air she didn’t know she was holding in.

“Sorry. I just had a bad dream.” Kyulkyung replies. “Go back to sleep.”

Sungyeon grumbles and turns over in her bed, complaining about being woken up at ungodly hours in the morning. She, on the other hand, simply remains sitting cross-legged on her bed. The light doesn’t give Sungyeon any difficulty sleeping anymore, if she remembers, so she leaves it on. She’s wide awake now, the whole ordeal leaving her with the inability to sleep, so she decides to think.

She doesn’t notice herself dozing off, her back against the wall, but she wakes up to knocking at the door. Opening it, she’s face-to-face with the person of her dreams, and recent nightmare.

“Hey, you woke up la

Please log in to read the full chapter