Part 1/3

In My Dreams

“So are you excited?”
“Excited for what?”
“The new semester.”
“No, what's there to be excited about?” Aerin took a sip of her hot chocolate. She was sitting in a warm coffee shop across from her friend Onew. They always got together to have drinks here before the winter break ended. It was like a tradition at this point. And as usual, Aerin was not excited to go back to school. She was a sophomore at Kaechon University, one of the top universities in Korea. School back in New York had been taxing for her. She wasn't exactly popular and she didn't get along well with the other students. That was mostly because she was going to a private school on a scholarship and she hadn't been as pretty as other girls. Not to mention, her occasionally crippling social anxiety. She had chosen to go to university abroad in hopes that she could start life anew. She had plans to make lots of friends, join clubs, and maybe get a boyfriend. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Her anxiety had returned with a vengeance and she was worse off than she had been before: no friends, no boyfriend, and at a university in a foreign country.
Luckily she had Onew. He was her best friend who she'd known since she was ten years old. That's when he first appeared to her anyway. He was a rabbit-boy hybrid, like a catboy but with rabbit ears and a tail. He had showed up and started hanging around her room. Aerin was surprised at first, but accepted him when he insisted on being her friend. They had been inseparable for the past ten years and counting.
“Well I heard that there's new students coming to your school. It’d be a good chance for you to make a new friend,” he suggested.
Aerin had heard about that too. It wasn't very often they got transfers into their University so any ones that they did get became gossip for the students. While she was interested, she also knew that her situation wouldn't change. Regardless, she wouldn't be able to muster up the courage it would take to talk to the new person anyway. “Or I could just stick with you,” she leaned back in her chair.
Onew folded his arms across his chest “What are you going to do when I get a girlfriend? Or get married or something?”
“Eh, we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”
“You don't think it's gonna happen, do you?”
Aerin smiled behind her cup “I didn't say that.”
Onew rolled his brown eyes “You might as well have. Rude.”
“I just don't think it's going to happen any time soon is all,” Aerin lied. She knew that Onew could find someone else to hang out with if he really wanted to, but he wouldn't do that. He hadn't abandoned her in all these years and she was thankful for that. “However, until it does, you always have me.”
“Thanks,” he smiled at her. They never could argue for long, even if it wasn't real arguing. “I hope one of the transfers is--who is that?”
“Who is who?” Aerin follows Onew’s gaze over her shoulder to a guy standing at the counter. She can't believe what she’s seeing: the guy looks just like Onew. Brown hair, light skin, and the same bunny teeth. The only real differences were the lack of ears and a tail. She turned back to her friend, surprised that he would keep something like this from her. “Care to explain?”
“Explain what?”
She gestured to the guy at the counter “Why didn't you tell me that you had a twin?!”
“I don't have a twin!” Onew retorted. “I don't even know who that guy is!”
“So you're telling me, there's a guy over there that could be your identical twin, and you don't know him?”
“Yeah.”
Aerin looked at him doubtfully “Lies.”
“It's true!”
She looked back over to where the guy had been at the counter and saw that he was gone. Where did he go? She looked around as much as she could without seeming too weird, but she didn't see him. Had she been hallucinating? No, because Onew had seen him first. Maybe he was just picking up his drink and he left while she wasn't paying attention. That made sense.
“Man, that was creepy,” Onew swallowed the last of his apple cider.
“I wonder if we’ll see him again.”
“You want to see him again, why?” The bunny boy smirked and leaned on the table “Are you interested in him?”
“What?” Aerin turned back to look at her friend “No! I just thought it was interesting that you had a twin and I wanted to compare is all.”
“That was a really convoluted answer. Just say you like the guy.”
“I don't like him! I don't even know him!”
Onew rolled his eyes “Yeah yeah, because that explains the hearts in your eyes.”
“There are not hearts in my eyes,” she glared at him.
“Uh huh. Anyway, shouldn't we be heading back? It's getting kind of late.”
“Yeah, I guess so,” she stood up from her chair and stretched. She didn’t really want to leave the cafe yet. Leaving meant she would have to get ready for class tomorrow, which was the last thing she wanted to do.
“Hey,” Onew pinched her cheek “Stop frowning like that. You’ll see that guy again. I mean this is the university cafe, so there's a chance.”
Aerin looked at him and smiled. He knew that wasn't what she was worried about, but he was trying to cheer her up anyway. “It would be interesting,” she replied as she put on her coat.
“Shall we?” Onew offered his arm.
She took it gratefully “Yes, let’s go.”


Aerin sat in her usual seat in the back of the classroom. Easy to see and easy to go unnoticed. Things were actually going fairly well for her this morning despite her pessimism about the semester. Her space heater was actually working, the woman in the cafe got her breakfast right on the first try, and two people had actually spoken to her. Granted it was to ask for directions, but it was still a better start than the previous semester.
“See? I told you it wouldn't be that bad.”
Aerin looked at Onew who was seated at the desk next to her as usual. He was cool, calm and collected as usual. And he was dressed in his all white, as usual. He always wore white for as long as she’d known him. Well, that's not accurate. He wore white when she was calm or content. Sometimes he wore black when she was upset. She supposed that he changed his clothes to best fit her mood. She had never seen him in any other colors though, maybe he wasn't interested in anything else. “Well the day isn't really that far along so who knows what could happen?”
“Not that far along? You say that like the day is a pregnant woman.”
Aerin glares at him “You know what I mean.”
“I’m not sure I do,” he pinches her cheek. “Just try to stay positive today and---oh my gosh!”
“What?” Aerin followed Onew’s gaze to the door and there stood the guy they had seen yesterday. “It’s your twin!”
“He’s not my twin,” Onew retorted.
“Oh no,” Aerin’s eyes widened. The guy had turned and looked at her. She quickly looked away and back at her friend. Something was off about him: his clothes were turning pink. “Why are you turning pink?!”
“Huh?” Onew looked down at his clothes and looked back up at her “I don't know, I put on white this morning. Oh god, he's coming over here!”
“What?!”
They both looked over and sure enough, the guy they had been watching was walking over to them. “Alright, just act normal.”
“Act normal?!” A really cute guy was making his way over to them, and he wanted her to act normal! “I don't do normal! You do realize you're my only friend because I'm not normal!”
“I said ‘act’! Just fake it!”
“How?!”
“It’s not that hard just--”
“Excuse me.” Onew and Aerin looked over at the guy standing in front of them. If he had been handsome from far away, he was definitely handsome close-up. Chestnut brown hair, dark brown eyes, and a smile that made everything so much brighter. And that voice as smooth as silk, it was music to Aerin’s ears. “Do you mind if I sit here?”
Onew looked at the guy then at Aerin. She was sitting there like she had been frozen in time or something. What was wrong with her? “Hello?” He pulled her ear “Hello? He's talking to you, say something!”
“Like what?”
“Oh I don't know, try answering his question.”
“Wait, he asked me a question?”
Onew facepalmed “Yes, he wants to sit next to you! Say yes!”
Aerin looked back up at the stranger “Uh that seat is taken.”
“What?” Onew and the stranger said in perfect sync.
The girl turned to her friend “Well it is, you’re sitting there.”
“What part of ‘say yes’ didn't you understand?”
“Why are you being so sassy today?”
Onew rolled his eyes and stood “Tell him he can sit there.”
“You tell him.”
“He asked you.”
“Fine,” Aerin conceded and turned back to the new guy. “My friend says you can sit there.”
“Thank you,” he smiled as he took the empty seat beside her. He held out a hand “I’m Jinki, I just transferred here.”
“Aerin,” she shook his hand “I’ve been going here.”
He laughed and Aerin swore it was the purest thing she had ever heard. “Nice to meet you Aerin.”
She wanted to say something back, but she couldn't think of anything and the professor was about to begin the lecture. She took another peek at him and had to quickly look away. His side profile was just as nice as looking at him head-on. He really did look like Onew, maybe that was why she found it so easy to talk to him. Speaking of Onew, where was he? Aerin took a couple looks around the classroom, but her friend was gone. Maybe he had to go to the bathroom. That was weird, he’d never left her before.


“Isn't she too old to have an imaginary friend?”
“Honey, it's just a phase. She’ll grow out of it.”
Aerin could hear her parents arguing outside her door. Her father was upset with her again about Onew. He had never really liked her friend since the day they met. “She’s thirteen Michelle, she should have ‘grown out of it’ years ago!”
“She’s lonely James, you know she doesn't have any real friends.”
Aerin curled into a ball on her bed as she felt a tear come down her face. It wasn't her fault she was like this. She didn't ask to be socially inept. She had tried to be like her older sister Mira and it hadn't worked. What was she supposed to do?
“Hey,” she felt a hand on her shoulder. Onew was sitting across from her smiling, despite being dressed in all black. “You have me alright?”
“But my parents said--”
“You know I’m real, don't you?” Aerin nodded. “Then it doesn't matter what they think. I’m your friend Aerin.” Onew smiled again and hugged her tight “You’re not alone, so don't worry.”

“Hey! Aerin!”
The brunette felt someone shaking her shoulder. She rubbed her eyes and saw Onew standing next to her “What time is it?”
“7:30. You fell asleep while you were working.”
Aerin sat up and stretched. She was surprised when he suddenly touched her face “What are you doing?”
“Why are you crying?”
“Huh?” Aerin touched her cheek, realizing it was wet. “I don't know, probably the dream I had.” Onew raised an eyebrow and she explained further “I dreamt about when my parents used to fight about how you weren't real and it was all in my head.”
“What did I tell you about remembering that stuff?”
“Well I couldn't help it, it was a dream! That's where my brain went.”
“Yeah, but it makes you cry and I hate seeing you upset.”
Aerin smiled “You’re so mushy.”
“I am not!”
“Uh huh, anyway let’s go to the canteen before they stop serving dinner.” Aerin stood and grabbed her jacket before they left.

“Oh yeah, I meant to ask, where did you go earlier?” Aerin looked at her friend as they entered the dining hall. There were a few students around, some that she recognized and others that she didn't. Most of them were probably back at their dorms since dinner was almost over.
“What do you mean? I’ve been with you the whole day.”
“No you weren't. There were three classes you weren't there and I was left awkwardly sitting next to Jinki.” He had insisted on sitting next to her for all the classes they had together. He even tried talking to her, but her answers were so concise and to the point that it was hard to make conversation.
“Oh I was there and it was painful to watch,” Onew shook his head. “I think you were too busy staring at him to notice my existence.”
Aerin looked at him skeptically, but didn't argue. She had been staring at Jinki every time she saw him. Mostly it was out of curiosity because he was trying so hard to get her attention. That had never happened before, most people just ignored her after a while. “He’s just been really nice to me,” she said as she picked up a sandwich and a bottle of water. She wasn't really hungry so this would do.
“Do you like him?”
Aerin looked at Onew who was back in pink. Wasn't he in black a minute ago? “What are you talking about? I just met him!”
“That has nothing to do with it.”
“Why? Are you jealous?”
“Um no, it's about time you had a crush on someone. You haven't had one in like three years, I think.”
“Ugh, don't remind me.” Aerin looked around for an empty table and took a step before she locked eyes with Jinki. He was sitting at a table with two other guys and two girls. He waved at her and smiled, motioning for her to sit with them.
Onew looked at her, wondering what she was gonna do. He could tell she wanted to, but being in a group was something he knew freaked her out. Not to mention, this was a group of people she didn't know. He took her free hand and pointed to a table on the other side of the room “Let’s go sit over there.” He guided her to the table and they sat down together.
“Thanks,” she finally spoke. “What is wrong with me?”
“Nothing, you just--”
“It's always like this!” Aerin’s voice cracked “I couldn't even bring myself to sit with someone who was nice to me! Why can't I just be like other people?!”
“Aerin, calm down!” Onew put his hands on her shoulders “You’re fine. Look on the bright side: at least you thought about it this time. Before, you used to turn away immediately. You’re making progress.”
“Am I?”
“Yes,” he patted her head. “I know I said you need to make friends, but you can take your time. Now cheer up because he's coming over here.”
“Huh?!” Aerin looked up and there was Jinki smiling down at her.
“Can I sit with you?”
She looked around before pointing to herself.
“Yes, you,” he chuckled as he sat across from her.
“But what about your friends?”
“Eh, they’ll be okay for a little while without me. Besides, I already know them, I want to know you.”
Aerin blinked and pointed to herself again. Was he okay? Maybe he had made mistake. Maybe he thought she was someone else. Yes, that made more sense.
He laughed again “Again, yes I’m talking about you.”
“Why?” she tilted her head.
“Well I guess anyone would be curious about the girl who’s eating alone.”
“But I’m not alone, Onew's right--” she looked around, he was gone again. Where did he keep disappearing to? “I guess I am alone.”
Jinki waved a hand in front of her face “Hello? I’m sitting right here. So you're not alone.”
Aerin smiled a bit “I guess you’re right.” That was the first time someone other than Onew had said that to her.
“So Aerin, it is Aerin, right?”
“Yes.”
“Tell me something about you.”
She blinked at him and shifted uncomfortably. Why did he want to know about her? There wasn't really anything to tell that she could think of. “Uh I’m twenty, I have a sister, and I live by myself,” she shrugged. “That's all I can think of.” He probably would think she was boring. Her life sounded boring even to herself.
Jinki rubbed the back of his neck, smiling awkwardly “Well that’s a start.”
“Sorry, I’m not that interesting,” she hung her head. That was when she spotted a shadow out the corner of her eye. She turned and looked, realizing Onew had come back in his all black clothes. She was thankful for that. He didn't say anything but he did hold her hand.
“Aerin?”
The brunette whipped her head back around to look at Jinki who was still sitting across from her. She couldn't believe he was still there. “You’re still here.”
“Well yeah. We were talking, I wasn't just gonna get up and leave.”
“B-but why? I mean, why do you want to talk to me?”
He smiled again and Aerin’s heart almost stopped “I want to be your friend.”
Aerin was glad Onew didn't leave again because she suddenly felt like she couldn't breathe. She had to be hallucinating. Did Jinki just say what she thought he just said? Was this some kind of joke? It must be, there was no way. She looked at Onew who looked almost as shocked as she did. He was still silent but his grip on her hand tightened. “What did you just say?”
“I want to be your friend,” Jinki repeated himself. “Is that okay?”
Aerin was about to respond when Onew whispered in her ear “Be careful.”
She looked at him, mildly confused “But didn't you want me to make friends?”
“Of course I do, but we don't know him. I just don't want you to get attached too fast. Besides, I don't want you to get hurt again like with those girls.”
He was right. This could just be another prank that would only result in her being made fun of. There was a part of her that had hope though, a part that liked Jinki and his bright smile. She squeezed Onew’s hand and turned back to Jinki “Okay I can try to be your friend. But we have to go slow, please.”
He looked confused for a moment then nodded “Sure. Let's start with you telling me something you like.”
“I like sweets,” Aerin said after thinking for a moment.
Jinki crossed his arms over chest. He was silent for a while then snapped his fingers “I got a great idea. Are you busy Friday afternoon?”
“No, why?”
“I know this great place we can go, but it's a surprise.”
Aerin didn't exactly like surprises, they usually didn't end well. “What kind of surprise?”
“A good one, I promise. So will you come with me?”
“Okay.” She couldn't say no to that smile and the all the positive energy coming from him.
“Awesome!” Jinki and Aerin heard someone calling him. It was one of his friend from the group Aerin had seen earlier. He handed her his phone “Let’s exchange numbers.”
“Um okay,” she handed her phone over to him. This was the first time she exchanged numbers with someone. The only contacts she had were her family. She never needed Onew’s since they were always together anyway. She typed her information into his phone before handing it back “Here you go.”
“Great,” he stood and slid his phone in his pocket as he handed hers back. “I’ll text you, okay? And you can text me anytime.”
“Okay.”
“I’ll see you later Aerin,” he smiled and waved as he went to catch up with his other friends.
Aerin looked down at the new contact and smiled at the way Jinki had entered his name: JINKI^∇^. It looked just like his real smile. She blushed and pressed a hand against her chest to calm herself.
“You really need to get yourself together,” Onew finally spoke up.
Aerin stuck her tongue out at him “Oh hush. I just think the emoji is cute.”
“That’s not the only thing you think is cute.”
Well she couldn't deny that. Jinki was the very definition of adorable and his eye smile made her heart flutter. It had been so long since she had felt this way about anyone. “It’s just, his smile is so warm and he's really nice.”
Onew patted her head “As long as you be careful, okay?”
Aerin nodded. She would be careful or at least try her best.


The young girl gently swung back and forth on the swing while the other children ran around the playground. Well most of the ones running were the boys. The girls had gathered around Charlotte. She was the most popular girl in their class and she was handing out invitations to her sleepover. She had the best sleepovers, so Aerin had heard. She had never actually been invited to one before. All the other girls said they had lots of sweets, they played with all their favorite dolls and they even got to use makeup. Aerin wanted to play with makeup too, but her sister never had time to play with her and her mom yelled at her when Aerin touched her makeup. Her sister did buy her a small kit, but it wasn't as fun by herself. She wanted to play with the other girls.
“Aerin, do you want to come to my sleepover?”
The girl on the swing looked up and saw a pink invitation being held out to her. “Really?”
“Yeah, my mom said I had to invite all the girls in our class.”
Aerin took the invitation as a wide smile stretched across her face. “Thank you,” she said, holding the pink paper tight against her chest.
“See you next Saturday,” Charlotte waved as she walked away.
Aerin waved back as she started to swing again. She couldn't wait to go home and get ready. This sleepover was going to be the best.

The day of the sleepover couldn't come fast enough and when it did, Aerin was practically jumping for joy. She had been happier than usual as she was preparing for the big day. She made sure to pack her favorite doll, her princess pajamas, and her makeup kit. She even packed some of the candy she had left over from Halloween. By the time her mother had dropped her off at Charlotte's house six o’clock that night, Aerin could barely contain her excitement.
Charlotte’s room was as pretty as Aerin had imagined it. It was all pink and covered floor to ceiling in Barbie. It was like she had walked into a dream. There was a canopy bed, a closet full of clothes, and even a Barbie dreamhouse. “Wow,” Aerin was in awe.
“Alright everybody,” Charlotte gathered all the girls around the dollhouse. “We’re gonna play dolls first.”
Aerin quickly dug through her bag and pulled out her doll. It was a hand-me-down from her sister that had lost most of its hair and had marks all over it. Her parents didn't think it was necessary to buy her anything new since she could just play with all of Mira’s old toys.
“Ew what is that?” one of the girls pointed at the doll.
“It’s my doll,” Aerin said shyly. “Her name is Mimi.”
“Why doesn't she have any hair?”
“Yeah and where are her clothes?”
Aerin looked down at her doll than at the other girls’. The other dolls had full heads of hair and pretty dresses. Charlotte’s even had a crown on hers. “I-I…” she didn't know what to say. She had never seen any other dolls except her own, so she didn't know they were supposed to be really pretty. Nonetheless, the other girls were ignoring her anyway and went to go play without her. Aerin sat back and watched quietly. It was okay, she would play the next game.
Around eight, Charlotte's mother told all the girls to put on their pajamas. Aerin was happy about that. She had made sure her mom washed her pajamas so that they would be spotless when the sleepover came. She put them on and smiled when she joined the girls around the small tea table in Charlotte’s room.
“Alright,” Charlotte spoke up as she looked around the table “It’s time to--” She stopped when her eyes landed on Aerin “What are you wearing?”
“Me?” Aerin pointed to herself.
All the girls looked in her direction and there was a collective gasp followed by an accusatory “Oohh.”
Had she done something wrong? She looked down at her pajamas; they were clean. She held up the fabric to her nose; they smelled clean. She looked back up at Charlotte “What did I do?”
One of the girls scoffed. Aerin recognized her as Hyuna, Charlotte's best friend. “Your shirt says ‘princess’ on it.”
Aerin blinked, she didn't understand. “I know, they're my favorite.”
“But it’s my party, so I’m the princess!” Charlotte screamed.
Aerin shrank back and looked at Charlotte fearfully. She didn't know. She had never been to a sleepover before. She had just worn her favorite pajamas because she wanted the girls to like her. Her sister had got them for her birthday, so she thought they were the best. “I just thought t-they would make y-you want to be my f-friend.”
“Take it off and we’ll forgive you,” Hyuna crossed her arms and glared.
“But I’ll only have my undershirt on,” the brunette bit her lip.
Charlotte was growing impatient “Take it off or I’m going to tell my mom to send you home!”
Aerin shook her head frantically. She didn't want to leave yet. She hadn't made friends with any of the girls yet. She looked around at everyone, all of which looked like they were mad at her. She was ruining the party. She quickly did as she was told and was left sitting in her white camisole.
“Good,” Charlotte snatched the shirt away and threw it in the trash bin. Aerin wanted to get it, but she didn't want the girls to be mad at her again. “Now follow me.” All the girls stood and followed Charlotte to the vanity. She turned towards the group “Did everyone bring a makeup kit?”
Aerin's smile quickly returned to her face. This was finally her chance to do something right. She held out her kit like the other girls as Hyuna walked around and collected them. She put them all on the vanity before taking her place next to Charlotte. “Alright, who should we makeover first?” Her eyes scanned over all the girls in the group before pointing to Aerin “You.”
Aerin happily stepped forward and Charlotte looked over her face. “Well you definitely need it,” she remarked, causing all the other girls to snicker.
Aerin knew she wasn't the prettiest girl in her class, but that was okay. The girls would make her pretty and she could put the rest of the night behind her. She sat down on the stool in front of the vanity. “Are you ready?” Hyuna asked.
Aerin nodded like a bobblehead “Thank you.”
“Oh you are so welcome,” Hyuna turned her towards the mirror. “Now close your eyes and don't open until we tell you to.”
Aerin did as she was told and smiled. After her makeover, all the girls would want to be her friend.

There was a few minutes of silence then she started to hear giggles. Did she look okay? “Can I open my eyes?” she asked.
“Not yet,” Charlotte’s voice replied followed by more giggles. “We’re just putting on the finishing touches.”
Aerin was excited to see what the new her would look like. Maybe she would finally be pretty like her sister. She would have to take a picture to show her family when she got home.
“Alright,” she heard Hyuna speak up. “Open your eyes.” Aerin opened her eyes.
Aerin looked in the mirror.
Tears began to streak down her face.
The other girls broke into fits of uncontrollable laughter. She looked like a clown. Her face was white with messy red lipstick and blue eyeshadow. There was even red lipstick on her nose. Hyuna turned her to face the rest of the group “How does she look girls?”
“So much better,” one of the girls tried to hold back her laughter.
“She looks like Raggedy Ann’s sister!”
The laughs grew even louder as more tears ran down Aerin’s face and she ran to the bathroom. She slammed the door behind her and dropped to her knees. Why was this happening? This was the night she was finally going to make friends. She was supposed to be happy. Did the girls not want to be friends with her? This was all her fault. All she had to do was bring a nice doll and different pajamas and this never would've happened. She stood up and looked in the bathroom mirror. “I just wanted to be friends,” she tried to wipe the makeup off with her forearm. All it did was leave streaks across her face. She sighed and looked back in the mirror.
Aerin yelped and nearly fell back onto the floor. There was a boy’s face in the mirror. She closed her eyes and shook her head. She was just seeing things, right? There were no boys at this party. She opened her eyes again and looked at the mirror. He was still there! Aerin whirled around “Who are you?”
“My name’s Onew.”
“Oh I’m Aerin. Sorry, I didn't know you were invited here.”
The boy tilted his head and Aerin finally noticed his large white bunny ears. She had never seen anyone like that. He didn't look much older than her and he seemed friendly enough. “What do you mean? I came here with you.”
She blinked. She didn't remember anyone being in the car with her and her mom. Aerin thought she would remember somebody who looked like him. “Oh I’m sorry, I didn't see you.”
“It's okay. So why are you crying?”
“Huh? Oh well, I wanted to make friends at the sleepover, but I don't think the other girls like me too much.”
“Well it’s okay,” Onew wiped the makeup off of Aerin's face with his black shirt. “I like you.”
The little girl looked up at him with wide eyes “Really?”
“Yup, so I’m gonna be your friend.” He smiled and took her hands in his “So what do you say? Wanna be friends?”
Aerin felt like the whole sun was shining on her. Onew's smile was so bright and inviting. It was different from the girls from her class. She nodded and held his hands tight “Yes!”


Aerin woke to the sound of her phone vibrating on her nightstand. She slowly opened her eyes and squinted at the clock on her side table: 7:37am. She looked down at Onew who had been sleeping on the floor. He covered his head with a pillow, clearly annoyed by being woken up so early. Aerin smiled a little as she reached for her phone and rejected the call. It was probably a telemarketer. Her sister wouldn't call her this early and her parents didn't really call at all. She rolled over and closed her eyes to go back to sleep.
Except she couldn't because her phone started ringing again. She could hear Onew groan “Just pick it up before I throw it.”
Aerin rolled back over, officially awake, and picked up the phone “Hello?”
“Oh it’s really you!” Jinki's voice came through the speaker.
The girl quickly sat up “Oh hello!”
“Hi, again,” Jinki chuckled. “Sorry for calling so early, I wanted to make sure you didn't give me a fake number.”
A fake number? Why would she do that? Aerin shook her head “Um no. It was real.”
“Well I know that now, but now I’m a little embarrassed.”
He was embarrassed? She was the one who was embarrassed! She had hung up on him because she wasn't used to getting phone calls. “Um I’m sorry for not answering before.”
“No worries. So are you still coming with me today?”
“Where?”
“I told you, it's a surprise!”
Oh right! She had forgotten about their outing together. She had been around him all week during classes, but she didn't see him at dinner anymore. Well really she had stopped going because she was scared. She didn't want him to change his mind about being friends with her. She wasn't even sure she should go with him today but if she didn't go, that would be mean. “Okay,” she said simply.
“Great! How does one sound?”
“One?”
“Yeah, I can meet you at your dorm or we can meet at the cafe.”
“Um,” she looked at Onew who was now awake and kneeling at her bedside “Give me one second.” She muted the phone “He asked if he should come here or the cafe.”
“The cafe,” her friend said affirmatively.
Aerin unmuted the phone “Um at the cafe is fine.”
“Great, I’ll see you then.”
“Alright,” Aerin said before ending the call. She looked back at Onew “Now what?”
Onew stood up in his pink pajamas and stretched “Well I guess we have to find you something to wear.”


“Do you think he’s not coming?” Aerin looked down at her watch. Jinki was fifteen minutes late and counting. Sure she had gotten to the cafe a little early, but that didn't change the fact that he hadn't shown up on time. The first few minutes were fine, but as it got later then she started to get worried.
Onew leaned on the table “He better show especially after all the time it took you to get it ready.”
“It didn't take me that long!”
He made a face at her “You went through like ten different outfits before you finally settled on something.”
Well she couldn't argue with that. She had wanted to look nice since it had been a while since she had plans with someone, let alone a boy. “Well excuse me for wanting to look nice.”
“You’re excused.”
Aerin rolled her eyes at him before looking back at her watch: 1:24pm. She sighed “Maybe we should go.”
Onew patted her hand “Relax. I’m sure he’ll show.”
She didn't want to lose hope, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to stay positive. “Um, will you promise not to leave today?”
Onew raised an eyebrow “When have I left you before?”
“Just promise, okay? I don't want to be left alone.”
“I’m not going anywhere, I promise.”
“Aerin!” Said girl looked up to see Jinki waving and running over to her. He finally reached the table where she and Onew were sitting, trying to catch his breath. “Sorry I’m late. My roommate’s girlfriend nearly set our apartment on fire while trying to make popcorn.”
Aerin and Onew looked at each other then back at Jinki. She didn't even think something like that was possible “Um…”
“Yes, I know.” Jinki smiled “She’s go a bit of a magic hand. Anyway, sorry again for making you wait for me. I promise my surprise will be worth it.”
“Is it really a good surprise?”
“Of course, why wouldn't it be?”
“Well, I have had a lot of bad surprises so I’m a little worried.”
Jinki held up his left hand and put his right over his heart “I, Lee Jinki, solemnly swear that this will be a good surprise. Good enough?”
“He’s so extra,” Onew rolled his eyes.
Aerin laughed “Alright, I believe you.”
“Should we get going?”
“Yes!” Aerin stood and followed Jinki out of the cafe.

They walked quietly for a few minutes with Aerin occasionally sneaking glances at Jinki. She still couldn't believe that she was out with him. It wasn't a date, but it still gave her butterflies in her stomach.
“Say something to him,” Onew whispered to her.
“Like what?”
“I don't know, ask him a question.”
“Like what?”
“Did you say something?” Jinki looked over at her. “I guess I was quieter than usual.”
“Is everything alright?”
“Oh, yeah, I just really enjoy cold weather. Crisp, cold air is good for the heart.”
Aerin looked away. She had always liked cold weather too, snow was her favorite. However, she didn't think it was something that should be enjoyed alone. Cold weather was for being with others and as much as she liked being with Onew, sometimes it wasn't enough.
“Hey Aerin, are you okay?”
She looked back at Jinki whose face was etched with worry “I was just thinking that you’re right. I like cold weather too.”
“It's so good to find a kindred spirit, my roommates just don't understand.”
“Your roommates?”
“The two other guys I live with,” Jinki explained. “There's Jonghyun and Minho. Minho’s girlfriend was the one who burned the popcorn today. They were with me at dinner.”
Aerin couldn't remember their faces. She had been too frightened and she wanted to forget how embarrassing that had been. “What's it like to have roommates?”
“Oh, you did say you live alone, didn't you? Having roomies isn't that bad. I mean there are times where Jjong makes it feel like a sauna in our place, that’s annoying. Then Minho is constantly playing soccer in the apartment--he nearly broke a window one time. But I mean, they’re good guys. It's less lonely than living by myself.” Jinki hurriedly added “Not that there's anything wrong with living alone.”
Aerin had thought about getting a roommate, but it seemed scary. What if her roommate didn't like her? What her roommate didn't like Onew? There were so many things that could’ve went wrong, that it just hadn't seemed worth to her. “I think it's better for me and Onew to live alone.”
“Who?” Jinki looked at her puzzled.
“My friend Onew he--”
“Stop!” Said friend pinched her side. “Can't you see he’s getting weirded out?”
Aerin looked at her friend then back at Jinki “I’m sorry, I didn't mean to say something strange.”
Then Jinki did something Aerin would’ve sworn could happen only in her dreams: he patted her head. Her eyes widened and she just stared at him. Onew was the only person who did that. What is happening? Her face turned cherry tomato red when he looked at her with those soft, warm eyes. “No worries, you didn't say anything weird.”
Aerin's heart had stopped. She was thankful when Onew pinched her again and she finally regained some of her senses. “Um okay.”
Onew crossed his arms over his chest and laughed “Oh you’ve got it bad.”
Aerin glared at him “Shush.”
“We’re here!”
Aerin's attention turned back to Jinki who had stopped in front of a small brick building. It was a small shop with a pink awning that read: Blossom Cakes. In the window were various types of cakes that were beautifully decorated. Some were really extravagant and intricately put together while others were simple with a little bit of flair. All in all, she thought it was beautiful. “This is really nice, but why a cake shop?”
Jinki motioned for her to follow him inside “My parents own this place. You said you liked sweets so what better place to bring you than a cake shop.”
“Wow,” she looked around. It was like something you could only see on tv. The inside was pink with a few tables for people to sit. There was a pink and white tiled counter with display cases filled with cakes and cupcakes on each side. She turned back to him and smiled “This is a good surprise.”
Onew nodded, even he was impressed.
“It gets better,” Jinki guided her to the kitchen. “Since the shop is closed today, by special request, I thought we could do some cake decorating.”

After a few minutes of getting prepared by removing their coats and putting on aprons, Aerin and Jinki were standing behind the decorating table with four cakes sitting in front of them. There were all types of decorations on the table too: edible flowers, letters, icings, pipettes, cookies, and fruit. Aerin had never been more in love with food than she was right now. She looked up at Jinki “So what do we do first?”
“Well pick a flavor of cake,” he pointed to each one “Strawberry, vanilla, red velvet, or lemon cake?”
Aerin looked between all the cakes; they all looked so good. She bit her lip trying to decide. She looked at Onew, who raised an eyebrow “What?”
“Which one do you think he’ll like?”
“Why are you asking me? I don't know the guy!”
“He’s practically your twin!”
“He is not and why does what he likes matter anyway? This is about you.”
“It’s rude if I just pick something I like,” Aerin said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.
The bunny-boy plucked her forehead “Just pick something.”
Aerin scrunched up her face, but did as she was told. “The red velvet,” she pointed “that’s my favorite.”
Jinki nodded “I like that flavor too.” He put the other cakes to the side and put the red velvet cake in the center. It was already iced and all they had to do was add the decorations. “Put on anything you like,” he gestured to the toppings.
“Anything?” Aerin looked down at the cake then back up at him “What do you like?”
He smiled “I like strawberries. I think they go well with cream cheese icing.” He watched as Aerin put strawberries all around the top of the cake. He laughed “Don't just put things that I like. Put things that you like too.”
“Is that really okay?”
“It’s the whole reason I brought you here.”
Aerin nodded and begin adding all the toppings she liked. She wanted to make sure he enjoyed the cake and he was just concerned about her. Something about that made her feel all warm inside. Onew smiled “I told you this was about you.”

After a while, Jinki, Aerin and Onew are finished decorating and they are seated at one of the tables in the shop. Jinki has brought them plates and forks. He also brings a knife for them to cut the cake. Aerin smiles at her finished product and thinks it's pretty cute. Her favorite part is the ‘A+J’ in the center. She takes a picture of it with her phone and looks up at Jinki. “How does it look?”
“It’s making me really hungry,” he chuckles and hands her the knife “Would you like to do the honors?”
“Shouldn't we do it together?” she suggests, to her surprise, Jinki’s and Onew’s. She continues shyly “I mean we did it together.”
Nonetheless Jinki nods as they both stand. He steps behind her and places his hand over hers. Aerin blushes when she feels his warm hands atop of her cold ones. How long had it been since she touched someone who wasn't Onew? How long had she been missing out on that feeling of being connected to another person? She smiled as he guided their hands and cut into the cake. She started this day full of fear of the bad things that might happen, and she never considered all the good things that would happen. They finished cutting pieces of their cake and sat back down to eat.
“So,” Jinki said as he took a bite “Was this a good surprise?”
Aerin smiled brightly “Yes! Thank you so much!” She was happy for everything he had done for her. “I never thought I could be this happy with other people.”
“Aerin, can I ask you something?”
She nodded with a mouthful of cake.
“Can you tell me about Onew?”
The brunette audibly gulped and placed her fork down. Oh no, what was she supposed to say? Anyone she ever told about Onew didn't believe her. They all thought she was crazy. She looked at her friend who also didn't look like he knew what to do.
Jinki saw the worried look on Aerin's face “If you don't want to, that's fine. I won't force you. I’m just curious about this person you seem so close to.”
“You’re curious about him?”
“Well you talk to him a lot, right? You seem to consult him a lot when you're trying to think.”
Aerin had never heard anyone talk about Onew like he was a real person. She blinked in surprise. She looked at her friend and he nodded. “He’s my best friend. I never really had friends when I was a kid. One night Onew showed up while I was crying and he’s been with me ever since. He was the first person who ever wanted to be friends with me. My parents think he’s just imaginary, but I know he's not. Even if he is, he keeps me from being lonely and sad. He’s even helping make new friends, like you. I don't know where I’d be if it weren't for him.” As Aerin finished, a stray tear came down her face. Jinki was quiet. Too quiet. This was probably the end. It always ended like this when she talked about Onew. She should've known this was going to happen. It would’ve been better for her not to have said anything at all.
“Wow. I guess I have some really high standards to live up to if I’m going to be your friend.”
Aerin looked up at Jinki in surprise “What?”
“I said I have some high standards to live up to. I want to be your friend Aerin. I get why you need Onew and I hope that one day, you’ll trust me as much as you trust him.” He poked her nose “Cheer up, okay?”
Aerin blushed “Okay.” Her heart was racing at that small gesture. How could poking her nose make her feel so mushy inside? It was like he pressed a button and she was instantly happy. He really was like Onew's twin. He understood her and didn't think she was weird. He actually liked her for who she was. Aerin was so happy that she didn't even notice that Onew was gone.


 A/N: Sorry about the crappy formatting. I don't have wifi right not so I'm updating from my phone. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed. I often struggle with writing Jinki because I feel like I can't do him justice, so I'm proud of this. Please comment, subscribe, etc. Thank you so much. Just fixing the formatting! Part 2 COMING SOON!

-씨에라