FOUND YOU

FOUND YOU ( one shot )

 

FRIDAY

10:37 PM

 

You waited outside as your colleague double checked the shop . Your earphones are stuck on both of your ears as you hold your bag hanging across your shoulder. The breezy wind hits your face and it reminded you that Christmas is just around the corner.

 

"It's such a pain to be scheduled for closing time, ne?" Your colleague shouted from the inside of the bookshop. You heard and removed your right earphone, "It's also a pain to be scheduled for opening."

 

Your colleague's voice drew closer as he checks the locks on the front door. "Those mid-shifters are getting all the luxury of leaving on time."

 

"Tell me about it." You laughed at his frustrated tone.

 

He tries to open the locked door until he's satisfied that it can't be open from the outside, he places the duplicate key on his bag and straps it along his shoulders.

 

"You're done?" You asked him as he checks the time in his phone.

 

"Yes, let's go." He replied without looking up. Both of you walked along the sidewalk, he untangles his earbuds and gives a heavy sigh.

 

"Are you that tired?" You asked, quietly laughing. Your right earphone is still detached from your ear so you could hear his reply.

 

He taps his phone before answering. "No, this is just way too lovely. Everything is so quiet, we can hear our own footsteps, this makes me want to stay in this shift."

 

You chuckled. "I don't understand you sometimes."

 

He didn't reply. The green light appeared and you cross along the intersection. There are only a few cars around, the headlights are focused on the pedestrian and acted as spotlights.

 

You reached the street across and continued walking.

 

"What kind of music do you listen to ?." Your colleague suddenly spoke.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"I know we always walk like this in this cold night with our earphones on but I never really get to ask what you usually listen to." He explained.

 

You pouted your lips. "Well, you know like the usual stuff that's on the radio." You clasped your hands and breathed heavily through your palms. The night is getting colder and colder.

 

"I see"

 

"Well.. How about you?"

 

"I'd rather listen to the ones from late 90s." He answered whilst embracing himself. You looked at him and you could tell he's shivering with his bare hands.

 

"I love those too, that era is irreplaceable." You said.

 

He was about to comment more but he realized that you've reached the end of the street already.

 

He looks at you with worried eyes. "I'd like to walk you home but my sister is all alone and-"

 

You immediately interrupted him. "Hey. It's fine. I've always walked home alone, this is nothing. Go home to your sister."

 

He smirks at you. "Next time, tell your boyfriend to walk you home, okay?"

 

You laughed. "He's way too busy to do that."

 

"Way too busy you can't even introduce him to me a.k.a. your ever-so-loyal-friend-every-closing-time ?" He raised his eyebrow and pretends to sound serious.

 

The green light appeared and you started to walk across the pedestrian. "I'll introduce him to you when the time comes." You smiled back at him and waved him goodbye.

 

Later on, you found yourself walking along the dark sidewalk. The light post is broken so you used your phone as a guide.

 

As you walk, you replied to one of the text messages saying you're on your way home. You looked back and your colleague is already out of sight.

 

The wind started to get more breezy and your embraced yourself. You crossed another intersection and you were relieved when you saw the lights on the other street to be working just fine.

 

You thought you heard a voice calling out but you just ignored and walked faster.

 

Then, a loud "PST!" stopped you from walking but you forget about it and continued ahead.

 

'You're … all … alone …" was loudly whispered by a women's voice but you didn't pay any attention and just continued sprinting.

 

A few laughs followed and you knew this isn't a good sign.

 

Nobody else is around and the next convenient store is two block away. You didn't want to get in trouble so you ran faster.

 

After grabbing your phone to send a message, somebody grabbed you from behind and hit your head on the wall. You dropped your phone and felt a stinging pain on your head. You were suddenly in a dark hallway but it was too dark for you to see who attacked you.

 

You could feel a few people are around you. Somebody grabbed you by your jacket and slapped you hard that you fell on the floor again. Another person kicked you on your chest while you could hear her laugh. Your heart throbbed in pain as you searched for your phone on the ground. You were too afraid to stand up for you cannot see if somebody might attack you again.

 

The hallway is too dark, you tried to scream but another one grabbed your neck and leaned you against the wall. You couldn't see her face but you could sense she's enjoying what she's doing.

 

She laughs angrily at your ear and threw you to the ground. She wasn't contented so she kicked your stomach harder.

 

Luckily, your hand fell near your phone and you immediately grabbed it with your shaking hand.

 

"IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN STEAL FROM YOU, CHEAP BOOKSHOP GIRL!?"

 

You knew that was from a different voice, then somebody kicked your back and you laid down on the ground on your chest, gasping for air.

 

The voice from before holds your cheeks and sits you up. "WHAT'S THAT? YOU CAN'T BREATH?" she asked sarcastically, you could see her teeth as she laughs with the others. She slaps you harder than before and you fell on the ground again.

 

All you could see is empty darkness and you could hear the group whispering to each other. You hear another round of laughter, your head is unimaginably painful but you see some lights and planned to run there fast.

 

You hold your phone on one hand and stood up. Since it was dark, they could barely know what you are up to. You took the chance and sprinted away forgetting the fact that your whole body is in pain.

 

You speed dialed Daiki and he answered immediately.

 

"Hello?"

 

You felt as if you were saved when you heard his voice. Tears fell from your eyes as you try to speak. Your chest is hurting so bad, and you're running swiftly so you can't speak a word. You slowed down and calmed yourself.

 

"Hello?" Daiki repeated.

 

You could hear the group screaming at each other when they discovered that you ran. You knew they could still catch you at the point of your location. Quietly, you leaned at a huge wall on your left and took a deep breath even if it hurts to even gasp for air.

 

Daiki waited for you to respond and softly calls out your name on the phone. "…where are you?"

 

You closed your eyes and quickly responded "Help."

 

You hoped your broken voice reached him, suddenly you could hear the group getting closer and closer. You ran again with your full strength to reach the next block. The group immediately saw you and they ran to get you. They were laughing as they get closer to you.

 

You reached the corner and approached the intersection without looking at either directions. You could still hear the girls behind you laughing as they sprinted closer, you reached the other half of the intersection when you heard a loud honk of a car approaching from your left. The driver steps on the break and the car slowed down for a bit, allowing you to escape being hit by the car. You ran to the next corner and the next corner until you could no longer hear the people chasing you.

 

You stumbled while running, then you hit a guy who swiftly caught you in his arms. He helped you get up and made you sit at the side bench, he sat next to you and fixed your hair. He checked the wounds on your face and that's when both your eyes met. You looked surprised but he only smiled at you and wiped the blood on your lips with his palm.

 

"Found you." He smiled.

 

Apparently, Daiki rushed to look for you upon hearing your distress call, he's with Yamada at that time so he also asked for his help. Both of them ran around your workplace and looked for you in panic.

 

"H-How.. d-did y-you.. find .. m-me?" You asked with a broken voice and tears started falling from your eyes as you reminisce your emotions from earlier.

 

He wiped your tears and moved closer to you.

 

He gazed at your eyes. "Ssshhhh. It's okay. You're safe now." Then he gave you a tight hug and softly patted your back.

 

"I will always protect you, wherever you are." Yamada softly whispered to your ear.

 

Looking from a far, Daiki sees the both of you and hides in plain sight. He plans not to interrupt but he felt guilty not being able to be there for you when you needed him the most. He breathes heavily, and wonders about this unexplainable feeling in his heart when he saw Yamada comforting you. Daiki is like Yamada's best friend, somebody who knows him the most, somebody trustworthy. But this time, Daiki doesn't see Yamada as that kind of friend. Only this time, seeing Yamada's action towards you makes him insecure.