Where inspiration came from

Monster Hunter

A/N: You don't have to know much about S.M. or TVXQ, SHINee or Super Junior to read this.
Also this is first person POV. Lol you can definitely see that the beginning was inspired from this. I ripped myself off lol.


This could not be happening again.

“MAX!”

God damn it.

“MAX!”

Where the was he?!

“MAX! ING CHANGMIN!”

The fangs were getting closer, I scrabbled for my gun.

, it was too far away.

Why was it so dark here?

The eyes of the monster burned red like blood.

“MAX!”

If he didn’t come now, I was dead meat.

The monster crawled toward me.

“MAAAAAAX!!!!”

It was on me now. Its big hairy legs stabbing my body. I really hated these trust exercises, the point was to lie there as bait for a certain monster and trust that your partner would kill it before it got to you.

Some dead fool invented this. I'm sure of it.

I could smell the stink of rotting flesh and dried up blood, the fangs so close to my throat. It reared up readying itself.

“Max.” My voice was now a whisper of fear. “Max.”

And suddenly the creature let out a high pitched scream. Its legs began flapping wildly.

Acting quickly I flung it away as hard as I could and rolled away. I ran for my gun then aimed it at whoever had killed the monster.

To my relief and annoyance standing there looking pretty satisfied with himself was my rookie in training, Shim Changmin.

Or as I called him Max.

“What-what took you so long?” I demanded my voice was shaking even with my attempts to control it.

Max grinned and threw his bloody wooden stake in a random direction. “You know me, I love being fashionably late.”

I gave him a hard stare and lowered my gun. “You better watch yourself rookie.”

He sighed. “Yes sir.”

“Let’s take this thing and get out of here, in case there’s more.” I motioned with my gun to the body of the creature.

Max nodded in agreement.

We walked over and made sure it was dead, and then I pulled out a roll of big trash bags from my belt and handed one to Max.

He opened it and began to slip it over the dead creature.

“I hate doing this part.” He made a face as he lifted the creature’s legs to get it in the bag better.

“Smell that?” I teased as I watched him struggle. “It’s the smell of justice.”

Actually it was the smell of feces and blood.

Max shook his head then gave a small chuckle. “Well at least I wasn’t scared like you.”

I was pretty sure that was meant for his ears only.

I frowned. “That thing was going to kill me Max; I don’t know why you find that funny.”

Max looked up surprised. “Eh? You heard that?”

I nodded.

He smiled uneasily. “It wasn’t going to kill you sir, I was right there waiting for the right moment.”

“What?!” I sputtered. “You were there and you didn’t help me?!”

“It was under control sir---”

“I could have died!”

“Sir…”

I shook my head and gave the dead body a kick and stormed off in the direction of our van.

“Sir! Sir, aren’t you going to help me carry it?” Max called.

I kept walking. These trust exercises were going to be the death of me.


My name is Jung Yunho.

I am a very sensitive person when it comes to almost being killed.

As you can see, I’m terrified of being killed.

As a normal person should.

If I am so scared of death, then why would I choose a career as a professional monster hunter you say?

Well, easy, I’m good at it.

Very good.

The people I work for, S.M. contracted me at the ripe age of fifteen. Since then I’ve been hunting down all types of things.

Werewolves, ghouls, faeries, an occasional exorcist or two etc.

You name it, I’ve hunted it.

Monster hunting however isn’t that glamorous. It surprisingly requires a lot of paperwork and long hours and getting used to the smell of .

Oh and blood, lots of blood.

So it’s kind of like being a police officer, but much more dangerous and messy.

After dragging the creature, a huge mutant spider, into the back of the van all by himself, Max and I drove to the S.M. building.

The S.M. building is huge and ancient looking seeing as it’s been around for a long time. It’s hidden in the heart of Seoul and sometimes missed completely, if you aren’t a monster or monster hunter.

I parked the van in the S.M. parking lot and handed my keys to the Valet also know as the ones who carry the bodies of the monsters into the labs.

In the labs the monsters are then studied and experimented on. And God knows what else.

“Hey Yunho, Changmin.”

Max and I were greeted immediately inside the S.M. building by two other fellow monster hunters, Cho Kyuhyun and Lee Sungmin.

“Hey.” I smiled.

“Where you guys going?” Max asked curiously. He saw they were free of their utility belts, which was rare because a monster hunter is never without his belt.

I gave him a look over. Why was he so interested?

“We’re going out to eat!” Sungmin said happily. He looked slightly exhausted, from what I’d heard he and his team had found a whole family of trolls under a nearby bridge that were the cause of missing people.

“Oooh.” Max glanced at me with puppy eyes. “Can I go?”

He didn’t deserve a lunch break after almost letting me get killed like that, but I didn’t want the little brat to whine through the whole paperwork process. Max also had this attachment to food, for him skipping lunch was torture.

“Sure.” I replied coolly.

Max beamed and the three took off.

“I’ll bring you some food!” Max promised as he left out the door.

I gave him a nod of acknowledgment then stormed off to the elevator.


“Hey Yunho!” Leeteuk, a high rank hunter, greeted me as I entered the offices, heading toward my cubicle.

“Hello hyung.” I bowed.

Leeteuk bowed back. “You back from a quest?”

I nodded. “It was a good one.”

“Your rookie doing alright?”

I hesitated. “He's a bit of a show off, cheeky, sometimes arrogant but when it comes down to it he's good. Very good.”

Leeteuk chuckled. “The way you describe him reminds of Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun is ten times worse than Max though , I said in my head.

“Yeah, rookies.” I laughed.

Leeteuk then handed me a piece of gum. “Here.”

“Thank you.” I bowed and took it with two hands.

“That's for the hunger.” He said. “You better hurry up or you'll miss your lunch break.”

“Yes hyung.” I nodded.

He then bowed his goodbye and left.

I bowed after him then hurried into my desk. I popped the gum in my mouth then felt it burn in my mouth like a chile.

It was a Big Red.

I quickly spit it out.

“Goddamnit Leeteuk hyung!”

For some reason I kept falling for that damn gum trick.


“Yunho sir. Sir?”

I felt a hand shake my shoulder.

“Uh?” I mumbled out as my eyes adjusted to the light.

“Yunho sir?”

It was annoying voiced Max.

“What you want?”

“You fell asleep sir.” He said.

I sat up. “Oh .”

I looked at my paperwork. It was crumpled and drooled all over.

“Should I turn it in for you sir?” Max asked innocently.

I gave him a glare. “Just get me a new form, rookie.”

He bowed and rushed off but not before leaving a bento on my desk. My stomach was past the point of hungry but I scarfed it down.

“Here you go sir.” Max came back with the paperwork.

“Thanks.”

I started copying in the information as Max began walking backwards.

“Where are you going?” I raised an eyebrow.

Max smiled. “Er...home?”

“Oh no you don't! You have to learn how to do this sooner or later, so sit down and watch.”

Max let out a whine. “But sir, I'm tired and I wanted to watch a drama at home.”

“Max you need to understand that monster hunting isn't all about monster hunting.”

He shot me a confused look.

“Just sit down.”

“Fine.”

As I filled out the form, Max began looking around and making the occasional whistle. I sighed. He wasn't paying attention one bit.

“Hey sir?”

“Yes?”

“Did you do paperwork back in the day?”

“Of course. It was the first thing I learned.”

Max leaned forward with interest. “Really?”

I nodded. “Back in the day S.M. was really loose on who they let in. They usually picked kids from high school that were top of the class or athletes. I was scouted at 15, they used to get us really young. The legendary BoA was hired at just 13 years old! Now they wait until your age. First whole year all we did was paperwork.”

“Wow. You must have been bored!”

“I was! But!” I said with a serious tone. “It was part of the hunter process. I didn't get to have all kinds of fun like you do. Rookies these days so ungrateful.”

Max smiled.

I ruffled his hair. “Alright we're done for the day.”

Max stood up immediately and bowed. “Thank you sir.”

“Good job, rookie.” I bowed back.

As I slipped the papers in the folder at the front desk and put on my coat, Max followed.

“Sir?”

“Yes?”

“I heard before me, you were in a team? With two others?”

I stopped in my tracks. “Uh...yeah...”

“So what happened to them? Is it true they quit S.M.?”

I shifted uneasily. “It was a long time ago. I don't feel like talking about it.”

“Oh okay, I understand. Maybe sometime over a drink?” He offered.

“Yeah, maybe.” I walked towards the exit with Max behind me. We went towards the parking lot and he said farewell as he hailed for a taxi.

“Don't forget we have practice in the training room tomorrow!” I called as I walked to my car.

He signaled he had heard.

That boy...

What kind of questions were that? Didn't they explain him my past?

I sighed.

I was going to have to tell him sooner or later.