Camera

Royal Ice

 

“Let’s go out today!”

 

“Ugh, it’s too early Taeyeon. Sleep.”

 

“Sica, it’s ten in the morning. Most people are probably thinking about what they’re going to have for lunch by now while you’re still lazing in bed. Gosh, why are you even my best friend? You’re too lazy for my active lifestyle.”

 

“Say that again,” she said with her eyes still closed.

 

The other girl let out a nervous laugh. “Nothing.”

 

“No, please, say that again.”

 

“Aw, come on! Let’s go out!”

 

She sighed. “Where do you want to go?”

 

“To the park! Oh and let’s bring your camera!” Her best friend clapped her hands excitedly.

 

“Taeyeon, we’ve been to the park thousands of times. Why do you want to go there again? And to take pictures too? We already have tons!” She finally opened her eyes and pointed to the framed pictures on top of her study table.

 

“I just want to make beautiful memories and catch them on film!”

 

“Are you dying?”

 

“If I say yes, will you go with me then?”

 

“Hmm…” she pretended to think. “No.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened. “Yah! Why not? Your best friend’s dying and you couldn’t even fulfill her last request?!”

 

She didn’t reply as she closed her eyes and slowly drifted to sleep despite Taeyeon’s rambling.

 

*Click!*

 

“Aish, Taengoo-ah. Are you taking pictures of me?” she asked groggily.

 

*Click!*

 

“Taeyeon-ah, stop that!” She tried swatting the camera away from Teyeon’s grasp but failed when the girl moved away.

 

“Ah!” She was going to fall face fist on the floor if not for Taeyeon’s fast reflexes.

 

“Gotcha!“ Taeyeon grinned. “Now you owe me for saving your life.”

 

She rolled her eyes then sighed.

 

“Okay! Come on! Go shower and I’ll be waiting for you downstairs! Chop chop!” With that, Taeyeon went out of the room, but not before lightly slapping Jessica’s behind.

 

“Ugh!” She punched her pillow before sluggishly making her way to the bathroom.

 

-

 

“Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Jung! Morning, Krys!”

 

“Good morning, Taeyeon. Did you manage to wake her up?”

 

“Yes, Mrs. Jung. It took longer than expected but I did it,” Taeyeon said, grinning proudly.

 

The other three laughed. “You’re the only one who can wake her up this early, Unnie. I don’t know how you do it,” Krystal said.

 

“It takes skill! But what that skill is will remain to be a secret.”

 

“She’s skillful in annoying me.” They all turned their heads at the voice and saw Jessica walking in the dining room.

 

“Good morning, Mom, Dad, Krys.” She gave a kiss on their cheeks.

 

Taeyeon watched the Jungs with a smile on her face. When Jessica was done kissing her family, Taeyeon turned her head slightly to the side as if waiting for her kiss.

 

All she received, however, was a light slap from Jessica. “Let’s go, Taengoo. Before I change my mind.”

 

“Yah! Where’s my kiss?”

 

“I don’t know. Keep looking for it,” Jessica answered as she pushed Taeyeon out of the dining room and into the hallway leading to the door.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Jung, along with their youngest, were left laughing at the two.

 

-

 

“We’re here!” Taeyeon exclaimed.

 

“I know, Tae. No need to shout. So, we’re here. What are we going to do?” Jessica asked as she walked towards a nearby bench, hoping to just sit there.

 

“We’re going to play!”

 

She raised an eyebrow. “Play what?”

 

“Badminton! Here, I brought everything we need.” She started taking out the stuff inside her bag.

 

“I don’t know how to play, Taeyeon-ah,” Jessica pouted.

 

“Aw! Cute!” Taeyeon said and took out her camera to take a picture of Jessica’s pout.

 

*Click!*

 

“Yah!”

 

“Come on! I’ll teach you!” Taeyeon said as she held onto Jessica’s hand and pulled her up, completely missing the blush creeping up the latter’s cheeks.

 

-

 

After an hour of playing – well, in Jessica’s case, it was more of just standing and taking pictures – Taeyeon finally gave up trying to teach Jessica how to play.

 

It was either her best friend was too lazy to learn or she just doesn’t have any athletic ability whatsoever. She was more inclined to believe that it was the latter.

 

They were now on their way to a restaurant near the park. Once inside, they quickly took a seat and ordered.

 

“So Taengoo, why the sudden urge to go out?”

 

“Uh, nothing. I just want to spend time with you. It’s been too long since we last hung out.”

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes. “We went out yesterday.”

 

“Y-yeah, I know but let’s just say that I want to spend more time with my best friend.”

 

Jessica continued eyeing the fidgeting girl. “And why suddenly decide to bring a camera?”

 

“Oh!” Taeyeon brought the camera out and took a picture of the girl in front of her. *Click!* “I almost forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me, Sica!”

 

Taeyeon’s surprise attack caught Jessica off guard. “Yah! Stop that! Answer my question!”

 

“I told you, I just want to make beautiful memories and catch them on film.”

 

“But you didn’t even take a picture of what we did. All you kept taking a picture of was my face! No background! Just my face!”

 

“But the expressions on you face already made every picture a beautiful memory of something.” Her eyes widened as soon as that sentence left . Her cheeks instantly reddened.

 

It was fortunate for her, however, that Jessica didn’t notice it as the girl was looking down, hiding her own reddened cheeks.

 

There was awkward silence until the food arrived.

 

Taeyeon spoke up to rid them of the awkward silence.

 

“Hey, Sica, why don’t we take a picture of the two of us with our food?”

 

Jessica frowned.

 

“Yah! You don’t want to take a picture with me?” Taeyeon frowned and pouted.

 

Jessica smiled at the sight.

 

All too fast for the older girl, Jessica grabbed the camera out of the girl’s hand and took a picture of her.

 

*Click!*

 

“Yah!”

 

Jessica laughed. “This is actually fun, Taengoo.” She took another picture of Taeyeon.

 

*Click!*

 

Taeyeon’s frown was replaced by a small smile at the sight of her best friend laughing.

 

*Click!*

 

Taeyeon blinked in surprise several times.

 

“Cute!” she heard Jessica say.

 

-

 

They spent the whole day taking pictures – random ones.

 

By the time they finished eating dinner, Jessica was dead tired. She asked – no, begged – Taeyeon to take her home.

 

Once they were right outside Jessica house, Taeyeon said her goodbyes.

 

“Here were are, Sica. Hope you had fun today.”

 

“I did, Taengoo-ah. Athough, I still don’t know why you insisted on spending the whole day outside and taking pictures.”

 

“You’ll know soon enough,” Taeyeon mumbled.

 

“Huh? Did you say something?”

 

“Ah, no. Anyway, you should go in now. Oh! Don’t forget to send me the pictures!”

 

“Okay. I’ll send them first thing tomorrow morning.”

 

“Tomorrow? No, no, no.” Taeyeon shook her head. “I want them tonight.”

 

“Tonight? But I’m already tired, Taengoo-ah!” Jessica whined.

 

“No, I want them by tonight. Come on, Sica. It’ll just take a few minutes.”

 

“A few minutes?” she scoffed. “You took hundreds of pictures!”

 

“Just… send them tonight, please?”

 

“Fine!”

 

“Yes! Thank you, Sica! Goodnight!” Taeyeon kissed Jessica on the cheek before pushing her inside the door and walking away.

 

Jessica blushed at the feel of Taeyeon’s lips on her cheek. She suppressed a squeal when she closed the door.

 

Once inside, she quickly went to her room to send the pictures to her best friend. She wanted to do it as fast as possible so she could sleep early.

 

She took her laptop out and connected the camera. One by one, the pictures came up the screen.

 

She looked at them and smiled at each picture. There were pictures of her and Taeyeon making funny faces. There were also pictures of Taeyeon taken candidly, but most were of Jessica, taken while she was smiling, frowning or pouting.

 

She kept smiling at the pictures that were popping up her screen when a picture caught her attention. She knew it wasn’t taken when she was with Taeyeon because it was an image of a paper with words written on it.

 

When she was about to read it, another picture popped up, then another, then another, then a message, telling her that the transfer was finished.

 

She clicked ‘ok’ then quickly looked for the pictures that contained words in them.

 

She opened the first one and read it.

 

Hey, Sica. You’re probably wondering how this ended up here. Actually, I did this a few minutes before I woke you up. You’re probably also very tired from all the activities we had today. I never wanted to wake you up from your beauty sleep but I had to give you a reason to look at the pictures and hopefully find this.

 

She raised an eyebrow and continued to the next picture.

 

Anyway, all I really wanted to say is that… I like you. I’ve liked you since we first met. I’ve just been too shy to confess until now. I don’t know if you feel the same way, and I don’t know if you’ll accept me but…

 

Her eyes widened as her heartbeat quickened.

 

Next picture.

 

Jessica, will you be my girlfriend?

 

Her jaw dropped and her heart thumped hard against her chest. She was about to pick up her phone to call Taeyeon but stopped when she noticed another picture.

 

PS. I’m waiting outside your house.

 

She quickly got off her bed – almost knocking her laptop and camera in the process – and ran downstairs towards their front door.

 

She paused to catch her breath before opening the door.

 

*Click!*

 

“Hi.” Facing her from the other side of the doorframe was nervous but still grinning Taeyeon, holding up her own camera.

 

“So–…” Jessica hugged her tightly while crying before she could finish what she was saying.

 

Taeyeon stood there, stunned, but soon snapped back when she head Jessica say, “Yes, yes, yes!”

 

Taeyeon smiled before slightly pushing her best friend girlfriend.

 

They exchanged smiles before finding themselves leaning towards each other. They closed the gap and shard a deep, passionate kiss.

 

*Click!*

 

Jessica pulled away. “Yah!” She slapped Taeyeon lightly on the shoulder.

 

Taeyeon only laughed before pulling Jessica in for another kiss.