A Call for Help

Marshmallows Roasting on an Open Campfire

Jinyoung comes back to his dorm from a long day, having to cope with the struggles of balancing a part-time job and college academics. As he enters through the door, he goes straight to his bottom bunk and lays on his stomach, with his legs and arms sprawled all over the twin sized mattress. The impact it made had Daehwi abruptly woken up. 

“Mm… what was that?” Daehwi asks, with his eyes barely opened. He looks below him to see Jinyoung asleep and still in the clothes he wore this morning.

“He must’ve been so exhausted. He didn’t even take off his shoes.” Daehwi climbs down the short ladder. “Should I wake him up or let him sleep?” he thought to himself.

Daehwi takes another look at Jinyoung. Despite how awkward his positioning looks like, he was still sound asleep. Hearing him start to snore, Daehwi goes back up the ladder to his bed.

Nodding, he says quietly to himself, “Sleep is good for the soul.”

With that, Daehwi lies back down on his bed and closes his eyes.

 

 

 

 


The next morning, Jinyoung is gone by the time Daehwi wakes up. Daehwi turns on his phone.

 

8:30
Wednesday, June 12

Jinyoungie~~ 10 min
Sorry I couldn’t be there when you woke up! Couldn‘t be late to class again! teacher would kill me (T-T) See you later!

 

Daehwi sat up and replied to him.

 

You’re always busy now~~ I never have anyone to talk to here at the dorm :( but I’ll wait for you! I’m staying in the dorm today because I need to read up anyways^^

 

Daehwi went out of his bed to go freshen up. While looking at himself in the mirror, he furrowed his eyebrows. “Ew. I should be grateful I’m not going out today,” he said with disgust. “If Jinyoung was here, he would probably say the same thing.”

It was 8:40 am. With Jinyoung being gone most of the day, Daehwi knew that he’d have the dorm all to himself, so he undressed, the water in the shower chamber, and started singing from the top of his lungs in full comfort.

IF YOU COULD SEE THAT I’M THE ONE WHO UNDERSTAND YOU BEEN HERE ALL ALONG SO WHY CAN’T YOU SEE~ YOU BELONG WITH ME~ YOU BELONG WITH ME

To Daehwi, Taylor Swift isn’t his style, but this song is a classic.

 

 

 

 


After Daehwi was done with his shower karaoke session and was dressed up, he went back to his bed to pick up his phone. No messages from Jinyoung yet. This sent a distress signal in Daehwi’s mind.

He works so hard, and he cares a lot for the people around him. But, sometimes, I just want to spend some time with him. Anywhere, really.

Daehwi decides to try and FaceTime someone for advice.

At the other end of the call, you can hear groaning and yawning. “You need something, Daehwi?” The girl on the other end sounded a bit annoyed.

Trying to match the energy, he replies, “If I willingly take the time to FaceTime you, isn’t that obvious?”

Somi brings the phone closer to her face with a bit of anger in her eyes as they narrow. “Hey! At least I picked up! Why are you calling me so early? All you ever talk about is Jinyoung; it couldn’t have waited until noon?”

“You only wake up when it’s noon?”

“We’re best friends. Isn’t this common knowledge? Now, hurry up and talk about your beloved before I start to fall asleep again.”

 

“...Do you think I should tell Jinyoung how I feel?”

Somi instantly perked up. “I knew you had feelings for him!” she excitedly exclaimed.

“Not like that! That’s not what I meant!”

Smirking, Somi replied, “Mmhm. What did you mean then?”

Daehwi sighed. “I wanted to tell him how I felt about us, as roommates who became close friends, not being able to really hang out with each other that much because he’s always busy.”

“Oh. So you want to tell him that you want some quality time with him, just the two of you.”

“How do I make it sound like I’m not trying to insinuate something?”

“Afraid I can’t help you there.”

Daehwi sighed again and looked up at the ceiling. “Why did I have to ask you for advice?”

Cocking an eyebrow up, Somi retorts, “I don’t know. Do you have any another friends?”

“I have Jinyoung, but what good will that do?”

“That could be more than friends eventually.”

Daehwi yells out of embarrassment. “Shut up!”

Somi chuckled. “I love our friendship."

 

"Anyways, what does he enjoy doing? Like, what are his hobbies?”

“He likes being outside. He talks about wanting to bike on open trails and enjoying the fresh air compared to how it is in the city.”

Somi starts to try and think of ideas. “So… maybe… you could go on a hike together?”

Daehwi frowns a bit. “You want us to go camping? Did you forget that one time we went to summer camp and I literally couldn’t make it out alive?”

“I mean, you’re the one that thought canoe riding alone would be easy. You’ve got to it up. Be a man!”

Daehwi gaped open his mouth for a second. “I look masculine? I can’t wait to tell off the people living in the dorm across the hall.”

 

“Very funny. But, just think about it! You’ll be there with him…”

 

Daehwi starts imagining the situation, seeing Jinyoung right in front of his eyes looking right at him. Somi starts to notice Daehwi daydreaming and talks a bit softer.

 

“...and even though he’ll be thinking of his other priorities and how important they are…”

 

Daehwi sees Jinyoung’s eyes divert towards the ground.

 

“...you’ll offer to roast marshmallows so that you two can sit by the warm fire…”

 

Daehwi hands him a marshmallow and they start to put their marshmallows towards the fire. Jinyoung smiles, and Daehwi can’t help but to do the same.

 

“...under the moonlight and all of the pretty stars that are above you.”

 

They start to sing a song to pass the time, only to laugh so hard when both of their marshmallows are burnt black. Jinyoung calls out his name.

 

“Daehwi.”

“Jinyoung?”

“Daehwi?”

“What?”

“Daehwi!”

 

He snaps out of his daydream, and sees Somi still on the phone, laughing. His face turns red as he feels more and more embarrassed.

Somi gets the final word before ending the call. “Have fun, loverboy!”

 

 

 

 

ーAuthor’s Noteー
hi so in case you subscribed before i tweaked my foreword a bit, i made it so that they aren’t together yet just because it felt better LOL. somi and daehwi’s friendship is really cute so i wanted to put that in somehow. i don’t have a set schedule for updates, just whenever i can finish a chapter lmao. but thank you to the six people that subbed for this story! hope you liked the chapter :D
-laysbagofchips