Captured

Transparent

“Come on, Seul, I’m running on three hours of sleep here!” Wendy whined into her pillow. She felt a thump on her back - presumably her cousin’s bag that was tossed from across the room. God, I never should have gone to the gym today, she thought.

“I don’t care. You made me sit through your stupid baking show and you didn’t even feed me. You’ll survive twenty minutes of my art show. Now get your lazy out of bed and shower – you’re repulsing everything but flies,” Her body lurched forward, meeting the ground with a disgruntled squawk as Seulgi hovered over her on the bed. “Let’s go! We’re going to be late!”

Groaning, she lifted her sore body from the sanctuary of the soft carpet. She never should have listened to her mother when she suggested her cousin as a roommate for her first year of college.

It’ll be perfect, she’d said, you’ll already know what your roommate is like! And that she isn’t crazy.

Right.

“Go, go, go!” Seul nagged, throwing another wayward object towards her as she trudged to the bathroom. “We’re leaving in 45 minutes sharp!”

She closed the bathroom door, grumbling, before undressing and turning to the tub. Sighing as she the water, she reached her hand to test out the temperature. She quickly drew her hand back from the icy stream with a yelp, turning back to the door with a frown.

“Seul! Did you use all the hot water?!” She hollered. A faint rustling came from behind the door.

“What?” Came the reply, voice slightly muffled by the running water.

Rolling her eyes, she wrapped her arms around herself and strode towards the entrance. “I asked if you used all the hot water!” Strands of light brown fell over her arms, tickling her skin into more goosebumps.

“, I have to shower too! Not my fault you got in after I did.” The taller girl’s voice sounded as irritated as Wendy felt.

Wendy sighed dejectedly, facing the freezing torrent of water. She stepped into the tub, inhaling sharply as she felt her back be pelted by the droplets. The water drenched her hair as she clenched her hands to form fists, head bowed towards her feet. Cracking one eye open, she spotted the black line of words wrapped around her ankle.

Joohyun. Her soulmate.

She hasn’t met them. Yet. Sometimes, Wendy thought, it felt like she’d never meet them at all. Shaking her head clear of the troubling thoughts, she reached for her bottle of shampoo, squirting a generous amount and slathering it onto her scalp.

Someday.


 

"It looks beautiful, Seul," Irene said in a hushed voice. She looked over to her classmate and longtime friend, noting the twinkle in her eyes as she proudly beheld her own sculpture and months of hard work. Students and family were bustling to and fro, making their way around the room filled with art pieces made by their relatives and friends.

"Thanks!" The taller girl beamed, flicking strands of blonde out of her eyes. "I agree, although yours is a close second to my masterpiece."

Irene let out a snort, shoving the younger girl lightly as she chuckled. "." Turning back to the piece, she admired her own work on display next to the sculpture when an unfamiliar voice piped up from behind them, getting clearer as it got closer.

"It's pretty awesome, I'll admit, but-" the owner of the voice bustled forward through the crowd, a plate with various snacks and refreshments provided by the art department held securely in her hand, "-what exactly is it supposed to be? No offense, Seul."

Irene was greeted with a girl around her height, dressed in a dark hoodie that had some band she'd never heard of printed on the front of it, paired with skinny jeans that hugged in all the right places. She had an approachable feel to her, due to the wide grin she was sporting at her friend and warm brown eyes that reminded Irene of her favorite drink - hot chocolate with a dash of peppermint and vanilla.

Seulgi smacked the stranger on the head, nearly sending the plate to the ground. "It's art, Wen. It doesn't have to be anything, dimwit."

"Ow! What the hell, Seul!? It was just a question, sheesh." The smaller girl rubbed at her head, her eyes going wide as she finally noticed Irene. "Oh. Hello there."

"Hi," Irene smiled at her, noticing how shy the girl had become. She extended her hand. "I'm Irene. Pleasure to meet you."

"Wendy," she returned, taking Irene's hand. Her eyes made brief contact with Irene's before focusing on their joined hands. "You must be on some mission from God, seeing as you're a friend of Seulgi's." She grinned as she said the last comment, pulling her hand back. Irene found herself intrigued by the charming smile and eyes that held too much mischief for someone that looked as innocent as the girl in front of her. 

That earned her another whack to the head, courtesy of the blonde. Irene bit back a chuckle, already fond of the two as she watched Wendy cradle her head with her free hand. Seulgi continued her playful assault, swinging her arm around the shorter girl's neck and pulled her into a headlock as she spoke, words directed to Irene.

"Anyways, before I forget to ask, would you like to have a sleepover tomorrow night?" Wendy tried to squirm out of the hold, but Seulgi was firm and unwavering. Giving up, she let her body go limp as she came to terms with her fate. "We can finally watch that horror movie I've been telling you about."

"Are you sure your roommate won't mind?" Irene said worriedly. Wendy, still doubled over, continued eating her snacks pathetically. "I wouldn't want to bother her in case she also has plans. I'd hate for her first impression of me to be that I was invading her space."

"Oh, no, of course not. She's too anti-social to have friends," Seulgi released Wendy, laughing at the indignant look on her face.

"Excuse me," Wendy protested, crumbs lining her lips. "Just because I don't have them over all the time doesn't mean they don't exist."

Irene felt her eyebrow raise as she directed her words to Seulgi. "I didn't know that you two were roommates?"

"Unfortunately, yes. That's the only reason I know this weirdo," Seulgi tilted her head in the direction of her pouting cousin, "There was no way out of it, sadly."

Wendy huffed, bringing another cookie to . "It's not like you're easy to live with, either. It's a good thing I haven't met your boyfriend yet, otherwise he'd be running in the opposite direction."

Irene's second brow rose, a smirk making it's way to her face. "Is she really that bad?" It had been a long time since she'd heard anyone tease Seulgi - not since Joy had decided on a different major and was no longer seen loitering about the art department.

Seulgi shot Wendy a withering death glare before the latter continued with a twinkle in her eye, "Oh, she's awful. You'd never guess it, but she has this giant- " and was promptly cut off by a hand flying over .

"OKAY, I think that's enough for tonight, we should get you home," Seulgi nervously laughed, tugging her backwards with her toward the door. "Tomorrow night! Don't forget!" She yelled through the flood of people as Wendy half-heartedly waved in her direction.

Irene waved back, covering her smile with a hand. What a pair.


 

It had been an eventful day for Wendy, to say the least. Bumping into her ex (a painfully awkward exchange consisting of hello, how are you's and polite smiles), working off the annoyance at the gym, being dragged to her cousin's lame senior project art show.

All topped off with meeting a girl who took her breath away.

Irene, Wendy remembered. Long locks of deep burgundy framed her face perfectly, accentuating her gentle jawline and smooth, pale skin. She had wanted to reach out and prove if it was as soft as it looked, but that’d be weird and creepy and God, Wen, you need to calm down.

She squeezed her eyes shut, willing hazy images of the beautiful girl to go disappear as she rolled around on her sheets. Frustrated, she sat up and let her legs dangle over the edge while waiting for her eyes to adjust. Fresh moonlight drifted through the open curtains, giving the illusion of deceitful warmth despite the season. Her toes curled instinctively into the soft carpet as a draft from the window blew. She wondered if she had always disliked the cold, bringing mood swings along with fresh coats of snow and bitter breezes.

Getting up, she wrapped a blanket around herself, heading towards the kitchen. Seulgi’s soft snores floated past her ears, the familiar sound putting Wendy’s racing heart to rest. Endearing bear, she smiled softly, I wonder what it must be like to sleep like a rock. She passed Seulgi’s room, intent on brewing a cup of hot chocolate to help pass the time.

She reached into the fridge, drawing back when she spied the milk already on the cupboard.

She needs to remind Seulgi to put it away when she goes to bed.

Uncapping the container, she poured it into the kettle, placing it on the stove. Heat emanated from the plate to thaw her slim fingers, playing as a friend in the bitter winter months. She spied her favorite mug after opening the cupboard door – it’s crescent moon handle stretched into a galaxy-like ceramic base with small planets surrounding the outside.

Drinking from the stars.

It was cheesy, and not entirely well-made, but Wendy couldn’t bring herself to throw away the gift. Painful thoughts reminded her of a long-forgotten past, drawing a sad smile to her face at the reminiscent memories.

A soft knock interrupted her thoughts, head snapping up at the sound. “Oh, it’s just you,” Wendy exhaled quickly at the nearing silhouette, “Jesus, Seul, you scared me.”

“Sorry,” replied the taller girl, a sheepish grin on her face, “I heard you get up.” She made her way to the counter, accidentally checking her hip on the edge. “Ow!”

Wendy bit back a smile as she grabbed an extra thermos, “Careful there, gimpy. Don’t want you to break something else, now do we?”

A half-hearted swat aimed for her head while she snickered, finding its mark. “I can’t see anything, – it’s pitch black in here. It’s like you enjoy being surrounded by darkness or something.”

“Ah!” Wendy exaggerated, scrunching her face in mock pain, free hand clutching her skull. “I think you really did something this time – I can’t see anything.”

“Sure,” an ungraceful snort served as her reply. “I’d have to knock you into a wall to do any sort of damage with a head as thick as yours.”

Wendy stuck her tongue out, the older girl taking the thermos from her hands while switching on the light. She leaned against the counter, crossing her arms as she studied her smaller roommate.

“Anyways, what’s got you up?” she probed, curious eyes meeting Wendy’s.

“Nothing.” She turned away, removing the pan from the heat before grabbing the hot chocolate mix.

Nobody.

“Liar.”

Her head snapped up to meet Seulgi’s gaze, an unreadable look upon the latter’s face. “Why would I lie to you?”

“That’s what I’m wondering,” Seulgi challenged. She raised her eyebrows. “Nothing seems like a whole lot of something if it’s not enough to keep you calm.”

The younger girl opted for silence, rhythmically stirring in the chocolate powder in the vain attempt to quell her thoughts. Snippets of conversations similar to this flashed behind her eyes,

 

“You wouldn’t be up if it wasn’t for ‘nothing’, now would you?” a hand enters her vision, tilting her chin up. The warmth from her fingers comforts Wendy, enticing the truth. “I’ve only seen you drink this when something is really bothering you.”

“It’s no one. I-I mean nothing!” she stammers, picking up her mug – hot chocolate with peppermint – and turning her back to the voice. She can’t look into her eyes a second longer.

“Okay,” she hears from behind her. “I’ll wait until you’re ready to tell me.”

She stiffens. Her voice cracks, giving away her weakness, her insecurities.

“It isn’t that I’m not ready – it’s that you aren’t.”

 

She attempted to grab Seulgi’s cup, but the latter extended her arm away from Wendy’s. “Not until you tell me what’s going on.”

The brunette retracted her hand, face impassive. “Fine. Don’t have some of my delicious hot chocolate. Your loss.” She tucked her loose hair behind her ear nonchalantly.

“Noooo,” Seulgi whined, grabbing at Wendy’s sleeve when she tried to walk out of the room. “I don’t need to know anything, I just need sustenance.”

Wendy stopped at the tug to her arm, a knowing smirk giving her away. “Well alright then, if you insist.” She returned to the stove, emptying the pots contents into the thermos cradled between her roommate’s hands.

“Thanks!” Seulgi was unbothered, a bubbly smile lighting up her eyes.

“Anytime, Seul,” Wendy said softly, staring into her liquid-comfort. “Thank you.”

"And don't forget - Irene is sleeping over tomorrow."

.