I Am A Good Zombie

Why Did You Shoot Me?

A/N: I recommend you to watch the MV of Good Zombie (feat. Zingo) by Charlie & Shinba for the laughs and for reference also. (Sorry, I don't know to to put hyperlink TT)


 

1.

              “Saengil chukhahamnida~ saengil chukhahamnida~ Saranganeun Sehunnie, Jongdae-ah~ Saengil chukhahamnida~!”

              Kyungsoo clapped his hands together with the two midgets. It’s his fifth time organizing a small but intimate birthday party after meeting the twins. In a world full of zombies and other warring (read: bickering since it’s modern times already) monsters, the two children are surely a miracle for having born to him. Kyungsoo looked at the cakes that he made for his twins, mint chocolate cake for Jongdae and strawberry shortcake for Sehun. Baking two cakes for this kind of occasion was actually not a big deal to Kyungsoo as he’s used to baking a lot of cakes and other pastries for his own café.

              “Now,” Kyungsoo gestured to the two, “blow the candles on your cakes before it melt. And, don’t forget to make a wish.”

              Sehunnie closed his eyes and earnestly made his wish before blowing his candles. However Jongdae looked down with a frown on his face.

              “Hyung, what’s wrong?” Sehun asked. “Please blow the candles so we can eat the cakes. Yummy~”

              “Jongdae,” Kyungsoo gently combed the hair of his son while mentally facepalming himself for not noticing his son’s distress. “Dear, what’s wrong?”

              Jongdae sighed and looked up to his father. “Appa..Daddy...” He murmured.

              “Come again, my child?”

              “I said,” Jongdae looked like he’s about to cry. He tried to suppress the tear from rolling down to his face but failed, “Daddy’s not here.”

              From then, he became a sobbing mess. Sehun, seeing his older twin crying, began to shed tears too and wail for their other father. Kyungsoo tried to calm the boys down by rubbing their backs and assuring them that everything will be just fine, that having Kyungsoo would be enough for them.

              Amidst the chaos, a dragging sound was heard from the corridor outside their apartment. The lights flicked. The air became weary. Jongdae and Sehun stopped crying and looked at each other. Jongdae hiccupped and sniffled while Sehun wiped his snot away with the sleeves of his shirt.

              “Hyung…” Sehun tugged Jongdae’s shirt and Jongdae tugging Kyungsoo’s.

              “Appa…could it be…?”

              Kyungsoo released himself from his sons and walked towards the dresser. He pulled the topmost drawer, revealing a shot gun. He looked at his reflection at the mirror above the dresser. The dragging footsteps became louder, more hurriedly, stomping its way to the door of their home.

              The father of two grabbed the shot gun and cocked it. He aimed at the door, anticipating the creature that has been attempting to open the door. Kyungsoo pulled the trigger at the exact moment that the door opened.

              “That zombie.”

              Zombies were considered to be the most disgusting creatures nowadays. Aside from the rotting bodies, they didn’t have manners. They came to crash into parties to wreak havoc. They walked like drunken people, bumping into others who try to walk peacefully in sidewalks. They chase women with slim and long legs. They didn’t even use the public toilet, or any toilet for that matter. They also kept on cutting the line wherever they go.

              Jongin. That was the name of the zombie who crashed the twins’ birthday party. Jongin was different from other zombies as he actually makes himself look presentable by wearing tailored-fit suits and constantly sewing patches to his skin. But of course, he still crashed a lot of parties.

              He grumbled as he touched where the bullet hit him, the place where his heart should be located (but of course, he’s undead already so having a heart didn’t really matter). He fell down on his back and reached for the inside pocket of his coat.

              “Appa!” The twins ran behind their father. Both of them stared sympathetically at the zombie in their living room.

              Jongin slowly looked up to the twins and pulled two small rectangular boxes from his inside pocket. Both of the boxes where neatly wrapped, one with blue and the other with green.

              “Why did you shoot me?” Jongin then raised his head higher to meet the eyes of his shooter. “I’m about to give them their pre—” Without further ado, Kyungsoo shot the zombie again, aiming for the zombie’s head this time. “—sents.”

              After Jongin being knocked out, the twins ran to him. They crouched down and began poking the zombie’s face. He was fast asleep as the tranquilizer shot to him by Kyungsoo had taken its effect.

              The twins then looked at their father who was returning the shot gun to its hiding place. They began to whine about the party being ruined. “Appa~! The party!”

              “I promise that we would celebrate again after I deal with that zombie.”

 

2.

              “What the hell, dude!” Baekhyun threw his hands up in the air. “You let that mean, gloomy, short grim reaper to shoot you?!”

              Jongin pouted as he sipped from his chocolate-flavored bubble tea, “Kyungsoo is gloomy but not mean.”

              “And he’s short!”

              “Hey!” Jongin rose from his seat and pointed at the mage in front of him. “You’re short too!!!”

              “Oh yeah,” Baekhyun challenged the zombie. He also stood up while slamming his hands on the table. “If I am short, then he’s shorter! And mean!”

              “No, he’s not!” Jongin defended. “He just…maybe woke at the wrong side of the bed.”

              Baekhyun raised one of his eyebrows, not convinced with Jongin’s answer. “And the party was at seven…IN THE EVENING.”

              A tall man with grey wolf ears resting on his pink cotton candy-colored hair watched the two argue while sipping his latte and stuffing his mouths with blueberry pancakes. He had his eyeballs going back and forth between Jongin and Baekhyun. Cleary, despite Baekhyun being his boyfriend, he didn’t have any intention to meddle with their petty fight. But who can blame this jolly and accident-prone wolf? The last time he tried to mediate between the two, he ended up having two black eyes and a busted lower lip. The time before that, he got a broken arm after being “accidentally” shoved to the side because he was meddling in the fight between his best friend and boyfriend.

              With the two about to aim at each other’s throat, Chanyeol put down his drink and sighed, “Both of you know that he’s just by the counter, right? Kyungsoo may or may not hear you.”

              With their hands still in each other’s collar, Baekhyun and Jongin looked at the counter and saw Kyungsoo looking right back (read: glaring) at them while wiping his cake knife with a cloth. Both of them released their hold and pretended to be civil by actually fixing each other’s shirts. Even if it was just an ordinary cake knife, it’s still a potential weapon for murder once it landed on Kyungsoo’s hands.

              “As I was saying—” Baekhyun attempted to continue as soon as Kyungsoo went inside the kitchen.

              The mage was not able to continue his “talk” with the zombie as he was interrupted by the glass door of the Kyungsoo’s café bursting open with the wind. A tall, slender woman, who apparently was a witch-slash-bank teller, entered. She’s clad in black sheer blouse and skin-tight leather skirt that ended just two inches below the junction of her and thighs. She strutted inside the café with her six-inch heels clacking in the hard wood floors. She walked towards the nearest free table to Jongin’s and his friends’. Chanyeol could not help but to whistle when the witching crossed her legs, resulting to her skirt to move a bit higher. Baekhyun smacked the head of his boyfriend and nudged Jongin, who was busy wolfing down his favorite red velvet cake. Jongin, completely annoyed, looked at Baekhyun, who then pointed towards the witch’s table. The oblivious zombie then looked at the witch’s table, who was actually staring at him with dark, lusting eyes. Jongin swallowed his saliva. He stood up and walked towards the witch, who was leaning forward to the table, biting her lower lip and adjusting the hemline of her skirt higher.

              Bang.

              With one foot away from the witch, Jongin had fallen on the floor with his left hand clutching on his chest while the other hand appeared to be holding some kind of cloth.

              Jongin looked at his shooter. He saw a Kyungsoo who had furrowed eyebrows, looking completely furious. “Why did you shoot me, I was just about to hand her a—” Jongin raised his right arm with a large cloth in his hands.

              Kyungsoo shot him again with tranquilizer…in the head.

              “—blanket.”

 

3.

              It was supposedly a normal day in the bank with Krystal, your resident foxy witch, in front of the counter. She spotted the ever-gullible Jongin, who was sitting at the back row while waiting to be called for his turn. Although Jongin was a zombie, he’s still a hot and dashing zombie. Having a pure but elusive heart was also a plus.

              “Customer number 99. Please proceed to counter 2.”

              A man in his suit from five rows in front of Jongin stood up. Jongin saw him brushing his clothes before walking towards the assigned counter. Even from far back, Jongin could not help his eyes from looking at the man’s broad shoulders. His eyes slowly went lower as the man was already leaning at the counter. Jongin could not understand but his salivating at the suit guy’s round and plump bosom, not to mention those thighs that were perfectly hugged by the tight suit pants. He didn’t intend to eavesdrop (read: yes, he had bionic-like ears that zombies developed overtime to hunt for potential food) but the mystery man was apparently applying for a housing loan. He also heard the suit guy giving a warning to Krystal and something about not seducing his man. God, his voice is deep but his taken already. All of Jongin’s senses were now focused on the suit guy. He felt a bit of familiarity with the other guy but then he was giving out a benefit of doubt to his self. He could feel his pants getting tighter. Oh , this is not supposed to happen. I’m a loyal guy.

              Yes, Jongin was in love. So madly, deeply in love with the man who keeps on shooting him with tranquilizers when all he wanted was to do a good deed. Giving presents to the twins on their birthday. Handing blankets to customers who were wearing shorts and miniskirts. He’s so sure that he won’t get shot today. He’s just a simple zombie who wished nothing but an organized society were all follow the cues and line up accordingly.

              “Customer number 100. Please proceed to counter 2.”

              Jongin stood up as the man was directed to the manager’s cubicle at the other side of the bank.

But the man turned his body around at the same time that Jongin sneaked a last peak to the suit guy.

              Jongin’s eyes bulged out before he even reached the counter where Krystal was assigned as he saw the suit guy’s face.

              “Kyung—”

              A shot was heard inside the bank.

              “—soo.”

              (Make it two.)

 

4.

              Kyungsoo arrived home late. He stayed behind to finish a job order for a wedding cake that needs to be delivered tomorrow for the wedding of the merman prince Suho and ice prince Minseok. His baking assistant, Lay, a cencorn (read: half-human, half-unicorn), was away for the month to attend the annual mating season for cencorns in China.

              The twins were already tucked in their beds, sleeping so soundly, when he checked on them. His heightened senses felt a shadow lurking on his back as he entered the bedroom. Someone was hiding behind the door and he felt that it’s getting closer to him. He turned around to assault but his attacker was faster. In a flash, his back was slammed into the door, effectively closing it. His hands were pinned above his head. One of the attacker’s legs was in between his pair, making him immobile as he was also pressed to the door. Kyungsoo side-eyed to the door knob as the attacker’s other hand locked the door.

              He now focused his to his attacker. His eyes met with those of the attacker. The other person’s face was so close that he could feel the other’s harsh breathing, brushing softly on his heart-shaped lips.

              “We need to talk.”

              Kyungsoo got weak on his knees as he felt goosebumps in his nape. Jongin’s voice never sounded that low before.

 

 

 

4.5

              After calming the out of him and changing from his work clothes to his pajamas, Kyungsoo sat down at the dining table, opposite of Jongin. They held a mini-staring contest. No one dared to blink until Jongin cleared his throat.

              “So…" Jongin had his fingers fidgeting on his knees. His eyes stared at his own fingers. The silence was so thick that the ticking of the clock resonated loudly in the open kitchen-slash-dining area.

              In all honestly, Kyungsoo’s apartment was small. It may be enough for him when he was still single but with the addition of the kids, the lack of space for his baking materials, and the paperwork of his husband scattered in their home office-slash-living area, it was cramped. And they only had one full bath. Both his husband and kids needed to rush to school every morning so they scrambled every weekday for their first-come-first-serve bath.

              Kyungsoo also wished for a mini-dance studio for his husband. That was why he accepted a lot of order jobs aside from managing his small café to save money. He also considered getting a housing loan but backed out the last minute due to an unforeseen event. All of the stress of getting a new home and continuing to help in providing for the family were piling to him, not to mention that he’s been ignoring his duty on earth. Earlier that day, he received a notice from the higher ups that was asking him to report to work as soon as possible.

              Of course, there’s the baby. Right, he’s almost on his third month of pregnancy and it still just him and the shaman who knows about his condition.

              “I’ve been wanting to ask you this,” Jongin slowly lifted his head and looked deeply in his husbands teary eyes.

And now, he’s in front of his husband who couldn’t look at him in the eyes. Maybe his husband was contemplating on how to break his heart softly. Maybe he’s about to ask him for a divorce. Right, who the hell would just shoot their husband for the most trivial things? Ah, I shouldn’t have married this gorgeous zombie if he just going to break my heart. But Kyungsoo couldn’t help it. He’s very emotional and sensitive right now.

               “Why did you shoot me? I already guessed that you shot me—”

              Yes, he would go into a painful divorce and his unborn child will grow up without a— “What?” Kyungsoo’s brain short-circuited. He just dumbfoundedly stared at his husband.

              “—during our son’s party because I was late. And I’m also guessing that it’s about the housing loan that’s why you shot me at the bank. I still don’t know why you needed to file for a loan. I know that I’ve been pestering you for us to buy a dog poodle and name him Monggu. But it’s okay with me even if we don’t have a house with a yard because it’s just a poodle…So, why did you shoot me at the café? I was just giving our customer a blanket. You know, she’s your loyal customer. It would be bad if…”

              Kyungsoo’s mind was going blank, trying to process the reasoning of his husband. But as soon as he heard the word café, there was a sudden glint in his eyes. His blood began to boil with the thought of another girl  trying to flirt with his husband in his own territory! (That filthy witch! She’s only in my café when you’re there, you son of a—!) And his husband had actually the nerve to entertain that bish. Yes, he was felt guilty when he learnt that his husband just wanted to give their customer a blanket to avoid any ual harassment happening in Kyungsoo’s café that might ruin its reputation. But he’s preggo. He’s emotional and sensitive. Flirting, even if it’s one-sided, was still flirting.

              “SHE’S FLIRTING WITH YOU, GODDAMNIT! EVEN AT THE BANK!” Kyungsoo stood up with his ears obviously have gone red. “AND I’M PREGNANT WITH YOUR BABY, YOU ! DO YOU WANT TO DIE AGAIN?!”

              After hearing the outburst of his beloved grim reaper, Jongin smirked with those mischievous eyes. “So you shot me because you were jealous?”

              Kyungsoo huffed and cursing himself internally for losing his cool. “I’m not commenting.”

              Jongin wanted to tease his husband as a payback. “Heol~ Honey, you don’t have to be jealous because I bang you every single day with this big dingdong in your peach—”

             

 

 

5.

              Jongin wasn’t able to confirm with Kyungsoo about his husband’s jealousy tendencies as he was again, unfortunately, shot with tranquilizer. He was also banned from their bedroom until the baby was born (unless the grim reaper was really and couldn’t satisfy himself with his toys. You know, hormones).

              And yes, they moved into a new home few months before the baby was born as the merman prince paid a hefty 2 billion won for the wedding cake that Kyungsoo made.

              Now, their sons Jongdae and Sehun were running after Monggu in their backyard with their little sister Sooin, crawling behind them.

 


A/N: Thank you for reading!