Chapter 1

Faded

He has an ordinary life. 

 

He wakes up at 7 o’clock every day, after just one ring of his alarm, which he turns off with a soft grunt before slipping out of bed. He heads to the bathroom and takes a glass of water with a little blue pill and looks at his reflection on the mirror while swallowing it: a pale complexion makes his dark circles stand out even more. Then he proceeds with his routine. He takes a shower and gets ready to go out, he quickly grabs something to eat before heading out to work.

 

His job is ordinary. 

 

He works at a small coffee shop, located in a retired area in town, quiet enough to assure the most relaxed atmosphere possible. Most of the clients are businessmen from the near offices, nothing too loud or noisy. Serving coffees all morning, smiling politely and giving “good mornings” that donn’t really mean anything is easy for him. So he's ok with his job.

 

And his place is ordinary too.

 

A small apartment at a ten minutes walk from the coffee shop, made for just one person. that consisted basically in one room that worked both as living room and kitchen a bedroom that fitted only his king sized bed and a drawer and a small bathroom attached to it. He never really had guests anyway. 

 

When work is over he goes back home to have lunch, he usually prepares some instant noodles, he knows it’s a bad habit, but he can’t help it. It’s not that he can’t cook, he likes cooking more than he likes to admit, to the point that when he was searching for a new apartment he checked the kitchen way more than any other room, “Is there an oven? Not that it matters anyhow.” But what’s the point of cooking a full meal just for one person? That’s just a waste of energy. So he sticks to instant food instead.  

 

Kyungsoo was really never a sociable kid, and that seemed to get worse as time passed by. He was that one boy at school who sat at the back of the class and liked to spend time watching outside the window as the clouds moved transported by the wind and wondered why couldn’t he be like a cloud too, light and free. 

There was only one teacher that could catch his attention and that was the litterature teacher. He was mesmerized by the passion he radiated when he read the verses taken from Shakespeare to Baudelaire that he could not help but listen to him.

That’s when he got into reading. It was an hobby that fit so well with his personality that it only came natural to him. As a result, he isolated himself even more in his own little world. 

But as time passed by he stopped reading too, as he became more and more pragmatic, not suited for adventures and mystery anymore. 

Newspapers would have been a plausible next choice except he wasn’t interested in what happened in the exterior world at all. 

 

He grew up being alone and accustomed to solitude. 

 

And somewhere in the middle he started to suffer from panic attacks. At first it was something sporadic but as they became more frequent and intense it obliged him to get treatment. And from six months to one year of little blue pills every morning they became 6 years. 

 

But like everything else that became his routine, and he grew accustomed to it, too.

 

That’s why what happens on that rainy day is utter unexpected.

 

He gets up at 7 o’clock and he goes on like usual. As he takes his breakfast he looks out of the window and notices it’s raining. Rainy days are always hectic. He used to love rain, it helped soothe his feelings, but now he’s indifferent to it. Or rather, on rainy days he has much more work to do as people tend to shelter from the rain in coffee shops quite a lot. He takes his umbrella and heads out. As he’s walking he notices a young man who’s standing under the rain without an umbrella. He looks confused, like he lost his way. Before he notices said boy is looking at him too, and he looks taken aback. Kyungsoo quickly looks away and passes by him but suddenly he speaks.

 

“Hm, excuse me?”

 

Kyungsoo freezes on his spot. Why.

 

“Did you just see me?”

 

Kyungsoo sighs. He doesn’t need a conversation right now, or never. But the strange boy didn’t seem to give up easily and he followed him until he walked in front of Kyungsoo. 

 

“You can see me, don’t you?”

 

Kyungsoo sights. What did he do wrong? 

He takes a good look at the boy in front of him. He’s strange, for sure, but now that he’s in front of him he notices he’s quite handsome too. Sun-kissed skin and well built body, magnetic eyes and full lips. He’s taller than him but Kyungsoo doesn’t seem to be threatened by that. He wonders what’s the problem with this man, going around under the rain without an umbrella and asking random strangers if they really can see him. But in the end he just sighs, he’s not the one to judge other people’s mental issues.

 

“Yeah, I suppose”.

 

There’s relief passing by the taller eyes. Kyungsoo glances at him and walks past him once more but the other follows him silently, Kyungsoo pretends not minding him and arrives at his workplace. 

 

When he comes out from the back office where he took off his jacket and put on his working apron he doesn’t expect the strange boy to be sitting at at table next to the window.

 

Why.

 

He tries to ignore him. It’s not like he’s the only one taking orders at the moment, someone else surely will. But he was wrong, no one else did. With another sigh, the deepest until then, he approaches the strange man. 

 

“What would you like to have?” He blurts out.

 

The taller seems amused and smirks.

 

“Your attention”

 

Kyungsoo stops on his tracks. If he was trying to avoid the other eyes burning holes into his little notebook he immediately snapped back and glared at the taller.

 

“What?”

 

“I said” said the other patiently, “that i want your attention, I need to confirm something”

 

At that point Kyungsoo was silently glaring at him. The other stood up and got closer to him. The tension was palpable.

 

“Yah, Kyungsoo” someone said patting his shoulder. He didn’t like physical contact.

 

Said boy let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding.

 

“What are you doing? There are plenty of customers we need to take orders from, when will you stop talking alone and spacing out? Hurry up”

 

But then he found himself holding his breath back again and his eyes moved back to the very strange man next to him.

 

 

 

 


Hello there, 

I'm back with another Kaisoo fanfic but this time is a chaptered one! I usually only write one shots but I was actually quite inspired to write this one, hope it turns out how I originally though it would. 

And that's it for today,

I really hope you liked this chapter, thank you all for reading it!

See you next week!