1/1

Cigarettes and Heartbreaks

Yoongi brings the cigarette up to his lips and inhales, remembering the day he said goodbye to his only love. Four years of his life was spent with Jimin, the man that will always hold his heart. He was going to propose that night, make it official, he even still had the ring hidden in the back of the top drawer of his dresser, but he sensed something was wrong that night when he picked the younger up from his apartment for dinner.

Three years ago...

Jimin wouldn’t look at him that night, but every time Yoongi would mention it, the younger would just shake his head. So, Yoongi brushed it off and drove to the restaurant where he would propose to his high school sweetheart. When they got there, Jimin didn’t get out and when Yoongi asked what was wrong, Jimin mumbled something inaudible. “Can you repeat that, baby? I didn’t quite hear you.” Jimin took a deep breath and looked at Yoongi with tears in his eyes. “Can we go to our spot? The one in the park? I have something I need to tell you.” The latter nodded and started his car again, panic running through his veins as thousands of scenarios played in his head.

The drive to the park was quiet. Jimin’s small sniffles and the soft rumbling of the car were all that could be heard on what would be the worst night of Yoongi’s life.

When they arrived at their spot, they slowly got out of the car. As Yoongi went to take Jimin’s hand, the latter pulled his away, denying with a tiny smile as he walked ahead of the older, who was stunned. “Wait, Jimin… What’s wrong? Why won’t you tell me?” Yoongi said, feet planted on the ground as Jimin sat on the cold stone bench. “Please sit down…” Jimin mumbled, face hidden by his hands. Yoongi could hear Jimin’s sobs get louder as he took the seat next to him, jewelry box digging into his leg and worry painted all over his face. “I-I’m sorry… I’m so sorry.” Confusion painted Yoongi’s face as he pulled the younger’s hands from his face. “Sorry for what Jimin? What happened?” Jimin looked at him, hurt and sadness clouding his brown eyes. “I’m engaged,” is all the younger said, tears glossing his eyes and falling down his face. Yoongi stared at him, wondering if he was dreaming. Engaged? To whom? Since when?

“You’re… engaged?” Yoongi said hesitantly, hoping that what he heard wasn’t right. Jimin nodded, looking up at the older as he said, “For a while now… I’ve known that it would happen since before we got together, I just didn’t know how to tell you.” Suddenly anger shot through Yoongi’s spine and he shot up from where he was sitting. “So, you’re telling me that you knew that you’d get engaged to someone else all this time?” Jimin nodded, tears still falling down his face. “For four years? For four years you’ve just been playing with me? Is that it? Is that why you’ve never once said you love me? For s sake Jimin!” He couldn’t control his anger as he slammed his hand against a nearby tree, causing Jimin to flinch. “Yes, but-“ Jimin was cut off by a loud scoff from the older. “Do you really think anything can fix this? You’ve lied to me for FOUR YEARS. You played me, strung me along and now all you can say is that you’re sorry?” Yoongi scoffed, “Sorry isn’t going to cut it. Nothing is going to cut it!” Jimin stood up as Yoongi started to stomp away. “Yoongi, I know sorry isn’t going to cut it. I don’t love her. I’m doing this for my parents, you know how they are.” Jimin sobbed. Yoongi turned around with so much disgust in his eyes, that Jimin flinched. “Oh, you don’t love her? Did you even love me?” Yoongi let himself crack as a tear ran down his cheek, “Because I love you.” These were the last words Yoongi said to his best friend, his soul mate, his first and only love before turning away.

Yoongi makes it to the road where his car is parked when he hears Jimin stumbling after him, pleading for Yoongi to hear him out, but the older ignores him. “Yoongi,” Jimin pleads, grabbing his now ex-boyfriend’s arm, “Yoongi, please talk to me. Please.” The older finally stops at the broken voice coming from the one he used to love, still loves, but he doesn’t turn around as Jimin says, “I know I lied. I understand if you don’t trust me, but please don’t leave me. Please, Yoongi, I’m nothing without you. I love you. I know I never told you, but please believe me when I say I love you. I fell in love with you that first time we talked all those years ago. I’m sorry I never told you, I’m sorry I lied.” They stand there in silence, the only noise being the cars driving past and Jimin’s muffled sobs, as Yoongi jerks his arm out of the younger’s grip and walks away, never looking back at the boy he will always love, but could never love again.

Yoongi extinguishes his fourth cigarette of the night on the balcony of his hotel room. He glances at the scenery of a new city, something he’s done frequently in the past three years. Travelling and trying to forget the one he once loved and lost. 

 

 

---

Hey guys! This is my first fic posted here and the first fic I've written in at least a year! I might continue this if you guys want to see more? 
Please leave a comment and tell me what you thought! :)