.01

Hear the Sea

Jongin's day began with a bang followed by a blinding light. More specifically it was the banging of his door and the bright light of the sun pouring past his drawn curtains that began his day. Jongin groaned out loud and made his first attempt at rubbing the sleep off his eyes. And there he was, the instigator of it all, standing at about 5' 6 and dressed in his unsettling all black attire: Do Kyungsoo.

"What time is it, Kyungsoo?" Jongin mumbled.

"I believe it is past noon and you are late once again, your highness." Kyungsoo stated monotonously while leafing through the pages of the document in his hand. No one in the castle was permitted to enter Jongin's room until he had woken up but Kyungsoo, however, liked to make himself the exception.

"Jongin. Kyungsoo, I have told you countless times: call me Jongin." Although Kyungsoo wasn’t from a noble family and therefore would not be permitted to use informal language with the prince, he was Jongin's closest friend. The boy grew up in a farm Jongin's father, the King, owned. They worked for the castle and provided most of the castle's produce and livestock. Jongin had always loved animals and when he was younger he would visit the farm often with his mother. That was how he met Kyungsoo and the two boys have been inseparable ever since. Clearly proven both trustworthy and reliable over their years of friendship, Kyungsoo worked for Jongin now and managed all his schedules so that Jongin was on time and prepared for all his princely business. Officially, he acted as a secretary and perhaps even an advisor but essentially, Kyungsoo was Jongin's nanny.

"Alright, Jongin, please get out of bed."

"Maybe just," Jongin yawned. He began to pull the blanket back over his head and snuggle back into bed. "One more moment."

The blanket was immediately pulled off his body without an ounce of sympathy. He felt the sunlight pour onto his skin once more making his skin begin to burn in the heat.

"Get out of bed. Now." Kyungsoo said sternly enough to send a shiver down Jongin's back and quickly oblige.

Jongin sat up and received a happy smile from his friend for his obedience. Jongin took the shirt Kyungsoo passed and got himself dressed. The summer heat meant sleeping in a minimal amount of clothing so the prince usually opted to sleep only in shorts (another reason why people were not allowed into his room until he had woken up). He dressed himself in a crisp shirt and trousers and shifted over to his bedside table to put on the golden chain that Jongin put away every night. It was a birthday gift—a coming of age gift to be specific, from Kyungsoo when Jongin had turned eighteen. He gave his limbs one last stretch and let out a yawn before looking to Kyungsoo for today's business that must be attended to.

"You have a lot of work to do today." Kyungsoo began as his eyes trailed down a list in his hand. "And I believe you are behind schedule. The King will be displeased when he finds out."

"Father will be displeased regardless. If my tardiness is not an excuse, then he will simply find something else." Jongin shrugged as his patted down his bed head. Kyungsoo frowned but didn't reply, Kyungsoo knew this to be true.

"Say Kyungsoo, why do you always wear black? Are you mourning for a loss?" Jongin chuckled, changing the subject, as he got off his bed to follow Kyungsoo for breakfast. Kyungsoo turned away and headed for the door.

"Of course, I mourn for your wits, your highness."

---

"Kyungsoo, you are to attend the gathering tonight in the palace." Jongin announced to the other boy when he entered his room one afternoon; he smiled mischievously. Kyungsoo looked at Jongin bewildered.

"Do not be ridiculous, your highness. A gathering is a great understatement, it is the semi-annual party for royal family and nobles; it is not my place." Kyungsoo replied dismissively. Jongin laughed and put his arms over Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"You are wrong, my mother told me I can bring a date." Jongin winked at the smaller boy. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at Jongin and pushed him aside.

"You can’t be serious, the Queen said you can bring a date, not the farmer's boy you are friends with."

"Kyungsoo, please." Jongin pouted, something he knew to be quite effective on the other boy. "I can’t bear to spend the whole night alone with my parents and those stuck up people. You know very well I'm not fond of these formals." Having Kyungsoo with Jongin meant he had at least one guest in the evening who wouldn't bore or criticize Jongin. He may even have the slightest chance of enjoying himself.

"There are plenty of lovely women who can accompany you and seize you from your boredom." Kyungsoo replied while turning back to his work to avoid Jongin. He kept his gaze away from the prince and pretended to focus elsewhere as if he were to have no more of this matter.

"I'm sure there are but I want you there." Jongin pouted again, hoping for a stronger effect. He walked over to the other boy sitting at desk in the corners of the Jongin's room. Kyungsoo had his eyes on the stack of paper in front of him but Jongin can sense the slight bit of nervousness coming from his friend. Years of friendship have made Kyungsoo very easy to read. He always felt insecure in these kinds of events but with his mannerism and appearance Jongin knew he had to no reason to be. Jongin lifted Kyungsoo's chin and forced the older boy to meet his gaze. "Please?" 

He looked at Kyungsoo who was frowning as he contemplated the consequences of joining him. After what appeared to be a careful consideration he sighed in defeat and agreed with a small smile on his face. Jongin made a small rejoice in his victory and grinned. He could one day expand his kingdom and reach the far ends of the world but nothing would feel as great as making Kyungsoo smile.

"Where would I be without you?" Jongin replied with happiness.

"Still in bed, I presume." Kyungsoo deadpanned before packing his things and leaving to get dressed.

Although Kyungsoo had never gone to an evening party with Jongin, there were a rare few business occasions in the past that required his attendance. Jongin, naturally, made sure Kyungsoo had everything he needed to dress as well as he liked so when the boy arrived at Jongin's bedroom in the evening he looked like royalty. Jongin laughed to himself, no one would be able to recognize Kyungsoo as a farmer's boy, as Kyungsoo's mentioned, not with his pale skin and expensive clothes. He looked beautiful.

Jongin forced himself not to stare for too long and only snuck glances when he was sure Kyungsoo wasn’t looking but he could not hold back the smile creeping up his face. His suit was a royal blue that seemed almost colourful compared to his usual monochrome wardrobe. His hair was combed and parted, as it usually was for work. Kyungsoo always looked his best when he was in castle. However, he still managed to look even better now. He was also admittedly better dressed than Jongin.

The prince hated his country's formal clothing with all its layers and intricacy, he always preferred to stick with the basics. Jongin, for his part, was in the middle of dressing himself in a white shirt and satin navy tie. His dark trousers were slimed just slightly to hug his frame. He always dressed himself unlike the rest of his family who called upon the servants in the house to attend them. He would look severely underdressed next to whatever elegant gown his mother would be wearing but he refused to suffocate in a suit for a party he did not care to go to. To Jongin, wearing a tie was enough of a hassle, he couldn’t bear to wear anything more than what he had on.

Kyungsoo gave the prince a look over and raised his brow. "That's all?"

"Kyungsoo, you know I hate wearing anything more." Jongin replied with a sigh as he began to button his shirt. They were interrupted with a knock on the door, Jongin looked up.

“Jongin, your suit for the evening has been prepared, the Queen requested us to assist you in getting dress.” One of the attendants announced from the other side of the door. Jongin scowled earning a chuckled from Kyungsoo.

“I don’t require any attendants and I’ve already picked a suit, tell my mother it’s alright.” Jongin replied. Jongin frowned knowing he’ll have to hear his mother’s displeasure later. Their country’s clothing with all its fancy intricacy not only took a lot of time to wear, it also required more than two hands to put on. Jongin never liked the other people handling him and getting him dressed. He knew that one day when he would be King, he’d have to bear with it but that day wasn’t today. Kyungsoo laughed at the prince’s misfortune and walked over to Jongin.

"What if you wore some more jewelry? You have plenty of rings and chains you never wear."

"I hate jewelry. I feel weighed down." Jongin replies, displeased at all the jewelry he’d been given as gifts from mostly strangers. Kyungsoo chuckled, shaking his head in disapproval. He stood inches from Jongin now, buttoning the rest of Jongin’s shirt up. Jongin felt his face heat up and heart quicken at their proximity. His hands worked around the tie next, knotting it carefully. He looked up at Jongin and smiled when he finished.

"Such a free-spirit. What about the chain I gave, you always seem to wear that. Perhaps I should have given you something else then."

"No, you gave this to me." Jongin replied, his fingers playing with the chain around his neck. He tucked it away beneath his shirt. "It is an exception."

Kyungsoo cheeks flushed a soft pink. He cleared his throat and told Jongin that they should get going. Jongin nodded and followed after him.

As was customary of the prince, Jongin spent the first half of the party talking to all the guests. It exhausted Jongin to go one by one to every noble family and make small talk but he did what must be done. He thanked each guest for coming, discussed political affairs, made jokes about the neighboring countries, and dabbled into some of the gossip buzzing around the city. He wasn't fond of many of the lords in his country. Their eyes spoke of greed and apathy, it was clear they were not particularly trustworthy. It didn't comfort him to know that the rich were only getting richer while the poor continued to grow poorer. It was these kinds of lords that are slowly ruining his country. However, not all of them were bad of course. Jongin liked Junmyeon. He was in his late-twenties, still fairly young compared to the other lords but successful. He was friendly and always reassured Jongin that he was here for him, which Jongin wholeheartedly believed to be true.  

"Hello Junmyeon, I hope you are doing well." Jongin greeted the older man. Kyungsoo had spent the night shadowing behind Jongin like a ghost only smiling at the guests but he hadn't spoken a word yet. Jongin slowly began to feel guilty for making him tag along behind him the entire night but Junmyeon was only person he hadn't spoken to yet so he hoped the two can sneak off for some free time after.

"Hello Jongin, hello Kyungsoo." Junmyeon smiled at both the boys. Jongin had introduced Junmyeon to Kyungsoo a long time ago when they were children. Kyungsoo replied with his own hello, uttering his first words of the night, and bowed curtly.

"How are you boys doing? I haven't seen you in a while Jongin, I hope your father hasn't been too hard on you." Junmyeon asked, amused. Junmyeon, to Jongin's dismay, lived up north farthest from the palace which resided on the south end of the country by the sea. They did not meet often. The plus side to his distant location is that Junmyeon lived by the borders of their neighboring country and had always managed to stay on friendly terms with them. Jongin's country was not a large one and consequently lacked military power but it was because of people like Junmyeon that helped keep it in peaceful terms with everyone.

"We are doing well. Father has already, I've been keeping count, teased me three times this evening but other than that I am doing well." Jongin laughed. His father was never subtle or quiet about his displeasure towards Jongin, he always made some kind of remark about him in front of people as if to be funny. It never was.  

"Ah, let me guess: something related to your appearance you’re not quite dressed up, you probably didn’t arrive early, and…” Junmyeon rubbed his chin, grinning, while thinking of the last reason. "Hm, something about women. You are coming to that age yet I hardly see you talking to any of them." Jongin chuckled.

"That is a perfect three out of three, you seem to know my father and I really well."

"I do pride myself with reading people well." Junmyeon said while chuckling. "But you know, Jongin, I don't think any of those things are worth bothering you about. Your father may disapprove of the way you choose to live your life but that does not make it wrong."

Junmyeon put his hand on Jongin’s shoulder and smiled. "You are a great prince. I hope you know that. You will be a great king too." Jongin nodded not knowing how to reply. Junmyeon had always been a source of comfort for Jongin. Kyungsoo was Jongin's best friend but Junmyeon was almost like the older brother Jongin had sometimes wanted, someone there for guidance. The two continue to talk until Junmyeon told the prince to go off and enjoy himself. Jongin and Kyungsoo said their goodbyes and decided to leave the ballroom. They take a walk in the courtyard instead where it was much quieter.

"I apologize for dragging you here and following me around. I do appreciate the company though, really." Jongin said. He smiled sheepishly. Even though Kyungsoo spent the evening silently trailing behind Jongin, it was nice to have him by his side.

"Don’t apologize. I enjoyed it." Kyungsoo replied. His eyes watched the ground he stepped on but he smiled softly.

"You don't have to lie, Kyungsoo. All you did was listen to me talk to the guests." Jongin laughed.

"But I enjoyed that. I like seeing this side of you, the side that will one day be king. I have seen the playful and childish parts of you all my life but when I see your professional side it makes me very proud. You have grown so much; I know you do not see it but I do. You charm those around you, it appears to come very natural you." Kyungsoo replied, looking up at Jongin this time. Jongin looked at the older boy and tried to continue walking down stone coble path. A thank you could not quite capture his gratitude. It would barely scratch the surface. His cheeks flush in the dark night and his heart kept beating loud in his chest.    

He always liked this about Kyungsoo. He helped ground Jongin, he was always there to support the prince. Dark clothes and scary glares aside, Kyungsoo had always been a caring person. Jongin loved that about him. He thought to himself: he loved many things about Kyungsoo.

Many, many things.

Jongin took Kyungsoo's hand and laced it with his own and smiled wide when the other boy looked up at him confused. He was sure nothing could express his gratitude of having Kyungsoo always stay by his side so he simply settled on a smile.

"Thank you," Jongin whispered after a moment of silence. "For now and everything thus far." Kyungsoo replied with a soft smile and a small squeeze at his hand.

"So is it true, what Lord Junmyeon mentioned earlier? The King was upset you didn't bring a girl here with you?" Kyungsoo smirked, raising his brow.

"Yes, earlier when I asked to bring a guest I do believe he had hoped for a girl." Jongin laughed.

"I'm sorry, I do not mean to displease the King."

"Kyungsoo, you know my father is not displeased with you." Jongin replied reassuringly. Even if Kyungsoo was Jongin's closest friend, he knew Kyungsoo felt like he was walking on a fine line. He had to be careful not to overstep his boundaries and remind himself that he is neither royalty nor noble.

"I am 20 years old, by this time any other man would be calling for the servant women or slave boys to their bed but I never have and so, my father is concerned."

"Why not?" Kyungsoo asks. He stopped walking and turned to Jongin. The question wasn't about Jongin not choosing to sleep with the servants in the palace, it was more than that and Jongin was not sure if he should push. He didn't want to lose Kyungsoo. More than that, he didn’t want to pull Kyungsoo into something that he may regret. He was prince whose life was surrounded by politics and facades, it worried him that Kyungsoo may be pulled into something too tiring and not worth his stay.

"I think you know why." Jongin says with a sad smile and continued to walk. Kyungsoo followed wordlessly. Jongin looked up and connected all the dots in the sky to the shape of a bear, then a bow and arrow, and even the centaur as his mother had shown him when he was a child.

"The stars looks lovely tonight don't they?"

"Yes, they do."

---

The job of a prince was plentiful. As an adult, Jongin had begun to take on his own share of work that his father was no longer responsible for and on top which, Jongin shadowed over his father's own work in order to learn from him. When Jongin isn't working, he was training with teachers in archery, swordsmanship, and gymnastics. He also spent time with scholars learning academics. Other than the private council meetings he attended with his father and the lords of the kingdom, Kyungsoo accompanied Jongin to everything. He quietly watched over and gave the boy the support he needed but tonight there was a council meeting which left Jongin forced to sit with his father from the evening until late into the night. Council meetings were Jongin's least favourite task as the prince and future ruler of the city. Perhaps one day it would be bearable when he would be in charge but right now it was dreadful having to shadow his father.

When Jongin returned to his chamber he was furious and miserable all at once. He found Kyungsoo waiting for him as he often did after these meetings. Kyungsoo knew precisely when Jongin needed him most and unlike the workers in the palace he was never unwelcomed. 

"So it was that bad, your highness?" Kyungsoo asked. He could read Jongin's face like the open books it was.

"He mocked me and called me incompetent in front of all the lords. How am I to be a future leader of this kingdom when my father makes me to be a joke?" Jongin fumed. He walked over to the window and opened it letting the pleasant night breeze drift in. “He does not take me or my ideas seriously.”  

The room smelled salty and cool from the sea the castle resided next to. Jongin had always found the scent to be relaxing. The breeze carded through his dark hair and slowly relaxed him with every long drawn out breath he took. Kyungsoo stood next to Jongin and leaned against the wall. He crossed his arms and watched the prince wordlessly.

"And what if he is right, Kyungsoo? I am nothing like my father so what if I am unfit to rule?" Jongin whispered. It was barely a mumble, easily carried away with the night's breeze and washed into the sea's waves. 

"Jongin, you will be a great leader—you are a great leader. If the King is unable to see it, then it is his loss because he is unable to see the great things you will do for this country." Kyungsoo assured him. He put a hand on Jongin's shoulder and stared at the prince with a determined gaze. He was quite hopelessly in love with the other boy that everything he spoke of felt like the truth but this time doubt still swam in his mind.

"What makes you so sure?" Jongin asked, half smiling.

"Who would know better than me? I am with you all day." Kyungsoo smiled. Jongin couldn't ignore the flutter in his heart when he saw that smile. It was so innocent. Kyungsoo was twenty-one and matured greatly over the years but, that smile, it had never changed. It was the same smile he gave Jongin when he was six and first introduced himself to the prince, when he was thirteen and showed Jongin how beautiful the stars look from the hill top by his house, when he was nineteen and put the golden chain around Jongin's neck. It was the most comforting smile Jongin had ever seen. "Besides, you are also well respected by the citizens outside the palace. Many of them have told me the great potential they see in you."

"Is that so?" Jongin replied, returning a smile at the boy. He turns back to the window and closes his eyes, still smiling. He wanted to believe Kyungsoo.

"Quite so, your highness."

---

“Your highnJongin, I don’t think this is a good idea.”

“It’ll be fine Kyungsoo. Really.” Jongin whispered playfully. He found Kyungsoo's hand in the dark and pulled the boy along. Jongin opened the window and let the salty winds flush into the room. It was absolutely lovely tonight. The air was warm and the smell of the sea that resided by the castle was ever so comforting. Jongin took a quick, sneaky glance in both directions and jumped through the window. His room was on the ground level of the castle so his head still popped through the window as his stood on the other side motioning for Kyungsoo to come over. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and jumped through the opening of the window.

It was still dark, just before dawn but Jongin flashed the boy a bright smile of satisfaction that surely rivaled with the sun. He found Kyungsoo's hand once more, intertwining their fingers before leading the way to the beach.

Jongin had insisted Kyungsoo spent the night in the castle and that they woke up early to watch the sunrise down by the beach. There is nothing quite like it, Kyungsoo. Of course with Jongin’s sleep schedule he was hardly ever awake for sunrise but there were a few rare instances where he was and he could never forget the beauty. The thought of witnessing it together with Kyungsoo made it sound all the more beautiful. 

They took a seat somewhere in the middle of the beach and let their feet sink into the cool sand. The grains made homes in between Jongin's toes and tickled his skin. Jongin looked up the stars and found a scarce few that still shine. The first signs of the sun peaked over the horizon and the sky began to settle to a dusty orange. He looked to his right to Kyungsoo with his gaze out to the sea.

Jongin brought his knees up and rested his chin on them. He wrapped his arms around them, feeling small while looking out to the vast sea. It could have gone on forever for all he knew. Or maybe it didn't. Maybe just over the horizon stood a whole other civilization they knew nothing of. Maybe there were another pair of boys sitting on the other side wondering what the world held for them. Kyungsoo leaned against Jongin and rested his head against the prince's shoulder. He watched the low winds blow against Kyungsoo’s black hair parting it gently.

They sat like this for minutes. Complete silence save for the rolling waves of the sea rushing forward and reseeding back. Back and forth, back and forth in a calming loop. In front of them, the sun began to slowly make its way up. It’s was a perfect yellow yolk amongst the red and orange of the sky. Jongin stared at it for a while until it hurt his eyes.

Jongin turned his head and saw a small smile creeped up Kyungsoo's face. It slowly brightened his face and like an infection Jongin found one on his own face.

"Why are you smiling like that?" Jongin asked.

"Am I not allowed to smile, Jongin?" Kyungsoo replied, nudging the prince teasingly. "I just feel happy." Pink blush flushed Jongin’s cheeks. He was so weak to Kyungsoo’s smile and his rosy cheeks and chocolate brown eyes and quite possibly everything about him.

"This is how I like to start my mornings," Kyungsoo started. He leaned up to face Jongin and grabbed the younger boy's hands once more. "With you."

Kyungsoo fell back down onto sand after. He looked up at the sky, Jongin thought he looked very at peace at that moment—a sight uncommon in the palace.

"Perhaps it can always be like this," Jongin inched closer to lean over Kyungsoo. "Just you and I." He searched Kyungsoo's eyes for an answer. Kyungsoo looked at Jongin carefully, a touch of nervousness hinted in his gaze. His eyes told Jongin everything. You should know better, Jongin.

"Jongin, you will regret this." Kyungsoo mumbled. Jongin looked down at the older boy and smiled sheepishly. He didn’t understand. Jongin leaned down until he was a breath away from Kyungsoo. He didn’t understand that Kyungsoo was the last thing Jongin could ever regret.

"I will not." Jongin whispered, hot breath tingling against Kyungsoo's skin. He closed the distance and they shared their first kiss (of many). Kyungsoo tasted sweet like candy; Jongin found it almost ironic but he loved it. Kyungsoo wrapped his arm around the prince and rested his hand on the back of his neck. He caressed his skin as he deepened his kiss with Jongin. The last bits of his anxiety were willed away in favour of a guilty pleasure. Jongin hooked a hand around Kyungsoo's waist and pulled their bodies close. He the seam of Kyungsoo's lips and explored the older boy's mouth. Jongin pulled back first, eyes practically glittering, and stared at Kyungsoo with amusement.

"I did not regret it, did you?" Jongin asked as if the deep blush flushing across Kyungsoo's cheeks hadn't already given him the answer.

"No, I did not."

---

If things began to change after it was only slightly. Work did not stop for Jongin’s romance. He was still busy and Kyungsoo still trailed behind the prince from task to task. However, there were the soft smiles, the fleeting moments when Kyungsoo’s hand caressed Jongin’s beneath the table, the goodnight kisses, and others quick ones stolen in between work.

It was not much but it made Jongin immensely happy none the less.

“Do you spend much time thinking about the future?” Kyungsoo asked. He lied on the prince’s bed resting on an arm behind his head while Jongin sat next to him reading. It was a book on war tactics and battle strategies, something he hoped will not have to come into use but important to know none the less. He looked away from the book and stared at Kyungsoo.

“I suppose I have on some aspects.” Jongin responded carefully.

“Some?” Kyungsoo questioned. He had caught on, of course.

“Yes, some.” Jongin replied. He turned his attention back to his book but after a minute or two he had lost the ability to pay attention to the words on the page. He put his book down and turned back to Kyungsoo. Jongin leaned into the boy and kissed him softly. Kyungsoo cupped the prince’s face and pulled him into another kiss. His lips felt full against Jongin’s own.

“You do not want to discuss it.” Kyungsoo understood. Jongin shrugged in response.

“Not particularly.” He would have plenty to face in the coming years. Right now he was in a transition period, not quite a whole adult but definitely not a young boy. Eventually the transition will be over, decisions will need to be made, obstacles will have to be faced. Perhaps Jongin was a coward but he did not want to think of about it quite yet.

“It’s okay,” Kyungsoo’s hand still cupped Jongin’s face. His thumb caressed his cheek fondly. He looked at the prince with a fierce determination in his eyes. “Just know I will support you with the decisions you make. I want to see you be a great King.”

Kyungsoo pulled Jongin into a kiss. He slipped his tongue into the boy’s mouth, kissing him slow and lazy. He had thought about being King for a long time. When he was a child, it was like a fantastic dream to one-day rule the kingdom but as he grew up reality began to seep into the cracks off his childhood fantasies and slowly the dream became an anxious nightmare that one day he would have to burden the responsibility of watching over an entire country. He admitted that his father may not be a great father but he was a good King. He did his job well and kept stability in their kingdom. Jongin was not sure if he’ll ever be like him.

He looked at Kyungsoo whose lips were a cherry red from their kisses and cheeks flushed from the heat. Jongin had always been riddled with anxiety over his future but Kyungsoo had always assured him that he will do well as a King. Sometimes when he looked at Kyungsoo, he can almost make himself believe it.

“With you, perhaps I can be.” Jongin replied belatedly. Kyungsoo showed a flash of confusion but smiled anyway. Jongin’s lips moved to Kyungsoo’s neck, leaving a trail of small kisses making the other sigh in response. Jongin shifted over until he was on top of Kyungsoo completely, his legs on either side of Kyungsoo’s hips, and locked lips with the boy again. His hands snuck below Kyungsoo’s dark shirt and caressed the skin underneath. Kyungsoo lifted Jongin’s shirt as well. He felt, suddenly, very hot as his heart began to beat more rapidly. He broke their kisses to lift his shirt over his head and remove Kyungsoo’s as well. Kyungsoo allowed him to do so, wordlessly, before pulling him back into a kiss.

Everything began to move faster and it made Jongin’s mind hazy. Their hands explored each other, familiarizing themselves with every curve and stretch of skin. He had seen Kyungsoo’s body plenty of times during their boyhood, there were many summer days spent at the beach by the palace. However, it was another thing to feel his body beneath his fingertips. Jongin trailed kisses down Kyungsoo’s chest and down to his stomach, he on the pale skin leaving behind small red spots that will likely have Kyungsoo embarrassed when he goes home. Kyungsoo’s hands card through Jongin’s hair as Jongin reached the end of his belly. 

Jongin looked up at Kyungsoo for approval. They had not done this much before. Kyungsoo gave Jongin a nod but a sudden knock on the door made the two boys freeze. Jongin dropped his head in defeat and sighed aloud.

“Yes?” Jongin spoke loudly, his voice was hoarse. He was ready to dismiss whoever was at the door.

“My lord, the King has asked for you.” It was one of the servants in the palace. Jongin groaned earning a light punch from Kyungsoo. The other boy was already sitting up against the bed frame with his shirt in his hand. Jongin lamented over their spoiled moment.

He wanted to ask if it was urgent business but he knew better than to keep his father waiting. He looked at Kyungsoo who pointed at the door for him to leave.

“Don’t worry, go see the King. It is more important than this.” Kyungsoo whispered. He grabbed Jongin’s arm and pulled him in for a small peck on the cheek before Jongin got up. He put his shirt back on and dragged himself to his father.

---

They began to make a habit of taking walks in the evening. There were few rare occasions throughout the week when their work was finished early and Jongin would either walk Kyungsoo home or they’d take a walk and return to the palace. However, at the end of the week they almost always went outside. Although it was clearly something they quietly tried to maintain, it always happened the same way: they would be in Jongin’s room late into the evening working on something or another, Jongin would propose going for a walk, and Kyungsoo would agree.

Tonight was one of those night. Kyungsoo sat on Jongin’s desk looking through stacks of papers more intently than Jongin thought was necessary. Jongin sat on his bed watching Kyungsoo and waited. Jongin loved spending time with Kyungsoo outside the palace, especially at night. They were the few sacred moments when the two of them were truly alone. The moments they spent during their time out were some of his favourite with Kyungsoo but it was always Jongin who had to initiate them. He couldn’t help but wonder if Kyungsoo cared for them as much as Jongin did. Sometimes he wondered if Kyungsoo cared for relationship as much as Jongin did. He never seemed to initiate anything for that matter, not without Jongin’s push. Kyungsoo wasn’t particularly shy especially not with Jongin so he couldn’t help but be slightly bothered by it.

He continued to eye Kyungsoo from his bed. Waiting. Eventually some force of nature made Kyungsoo turn away from his work and look up at Jongin. He looked slightly startled by Jongin’s intent glare.

“Is something the matter?” Kyungsoo asked carefully. He turned away from the desk and towards Jongin. Jongin wasn’t sure how to answer. He bit his bottom lip, a nervous habit of his.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” Jongin asked defeated.

“Of course, let’s go.” Kyungsoo organized his pile of papers and got up from his chair.

“If I had not asked you right now, would you have asked me?” Jongin asked curiously. He got off his bed and walked towards the other boy.

“No, I suppose not,” Kyungsoo replied slowly. “I would assume you did not want to go.”

“You shouldn’t assume that.” Jongin attempted to say it with some anger or conviction but it came out more defeated and pouty. Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin with confusion and raised his brow. 

“I just—I need some reassurance that I’m not just dragging you around,” Jongin mumbled, his voice trailing off. “As I always am.” Jongin thought about Kyungsoo who became Jongin’s friend but made to work for him. Kyungsoo, who trailed behind Jongin day after day with things to do in the palace. Jongin looked at Kyungsoo who was slightly taken back. His eyes widened for a quick second before collecting himself. He looked amused.

“I want to be here with you, Jongin. I hate to admit it but you being a prince does not make me feel obligated to say yes to your every request. I’m with you because I like you.” Kyungsoo replied while pinching Jongin’s cheek. Jongin’s cheeks flushed pink. He felt foolish for doubting Kyungsoo but also satisfied to have his worries kept at bay from Kyungsoo’s confession.

“I—I’m sorry.” Jongin stumbled on his words, unsure of what to say. He rubbed his cheek and kept his gaze on the ground.

“It’s my fault, it’s just I,” Kyungsoo began but he didn’t continue. “Never mind, let’s go.” He smiled at Jongin but the prince knew there was something else. He didn’t push it, deciding he would give Kyungsoo his space and let him bring it up when the older boy was ready. Jongin nodded instead.

---

Having dinner together was an inescapable rule for the royal family. They spent most of their days busy with their own tasks and with a large home like there own, they barely managed to catch a glimpse of each other until dinner. On most occasions, the dinners were okay albeit generally quiet. When Jongin would have an argument with his father, dinner time became painfully silent and tense. They ate in a large high ceiling room with elegant decor and a long table though it would only be the three of them dining. Occasionally Kyungsoo joined them for dinner.

Today, Kyungsoo was with Jongin but it didn't do much to ease the quiet atmosphere. Even so, his presence provided a sort of comfort to Jongin even if they couldn't talk as freely as they'd like. The King sat at the very end of the table with Jongin on one side (and Kyungsoo beside him) and the Queen on the other side. The rest of the table remained empty. Only the sounds of cutlery clacking against glass plates filled the silence.

"Jongin, you are familiar with Lord Lee and his family, yes?" The King said. He put down his cutlery and wiped his mouth.

"Yes, why?" Jongin replied absentmindedly, eyes still focused on his food.

"Well, I was thinking it's about time you start thinking about marriage. Lord Lee has a daughter around your age. I've been told she's quite beautiful and intelligent." The King started. Jongin's body froze. He looked up at his father.

Jongin did not know Lord Lee's daughter well but he wasn't a fan of Lord Lee. He appeared to be one of the overly wealthy men in the city with little regard for others. Of course he could not make the same assumptions about his daughter, not that it mattered at all because Kyungsoo.

"The Lees are a respectable family who've supported the royal family for generations. A marriage with the Lord's daughter would be greatly beneficial to the family." The King finished. Jongin cringed. He hated the idea of marriage as a kind of political ploy. He acknowledged that he lived life in luxury and had what many did not but as a prince he also had to sacrifice a great many things. He gave up hobbies and friends and privacy. He did not want to give up love. Jongin sat silently, he didn't know how to reply.

"What do you think, Kyungsoo? You have seen her, I'm sure." The King asked turning all their attention to the smaller boy. Kyungsoo looked up from his plate, he was caught off guard for only a second before he quickly composed himself. Jongin did not want to turn to see him.

"I think she'd make a lovely bride for Jongin." Kyungsoo replied carefully.

"See, Jongin? Even Kyungsoo agrees. Give it some thought." The King replied, nodding with approval.

Jongin's heart dropped. He didn’t know why. It's not that he expected Kyungsoo to say anything differently. He was in front of the King; he couldn't voice any disagreement. Relationships between males or between females were not looked down upon in their country, as it was in other places, but to have the to-be King in a relationship with a male would raise questions about future heirs. Jongin knew this as did Kyungsoo. It was something Jongin had put away to the back of his mind. It was difficult when Kyungsoo stood before him, with his soft smiles and careful words. If Jongin was supposed to make a responsible, self sacrificing decision, looking at Kyungsoo made it impossible to do.

They finished the rest of the dinner in silence. Jongin tried to talk to Kyungsoo after the dinner but the older boy managed to slip away while the Queen was discussing something to Jongin. He considered going after the boy but decided against it. Kyungsoo, perhaps, needed some time alone. Jongin probably did as well. With nothing else to do, the prince retired to bed early.

Jongin sat awake in bed, thinking. Thinking, thinking, thinking: he wasn't ready to give up on his relationship with Kyungsoo, this much he knew. There would be consequences, that was inevitable, but he was prepared to face them. However, he didn't know if Kyungsoo felt the same. Maybe Kyungsoo was willing to give up what they had and just be friends. Maybe he did want a family—a wife and kids and a life of his own. Since their childhood Kyungsoo has always been tagging along with Jongin. Maybe he has taken too much from Kyungsoo already, was he going to take this as well? Maybe he was only meant to be a good friend and wise advisor. Maybe that should've been enough for Jongin.

That night Jongin had trouble sleeping.

The next morning, he woke to a knock on the door. For a moment, while he lied in a dreamy state of confusion with his messy hair and groggy eyes that burned from exhaustion, he remained in the bliss of ignorance. Slowly, last night's events resurface in his mind and jolted him awake. He got up, resting his weight on his hand and stared at the door

"Come in." Jongin said, expecting Kyungsoo to open the door. To his dismay, it was one of the servants (a part of Jongin was not surprised, Kyungsoo never knocked). Disappointment flooded the prince.

"My prince, a messenger from the Do family has arrived this morning to inform you that Kyungsoo is unable to attend work today. He has fallen ill." The servant said. Jongin nodded before the servant bowed and closed the door behind him.

It was clear that Kyungsoo wanted some space so Jongin didn't pry. He wanted to fall back into bed but he knew better than to let his mind worry right now. His heart felt a dull ache but he was a prince. He had work to do. So he dragged himself out of his bed and went to the dining hall for breakfast. He carried on with his usual schedule only without Kyungsoo. He met his tutor first then went to sparing practice. After he had archery and lastly, he went to a meeting with his father and the treasurer to review the country's spending. When he went to bed he was exhausted and felt an aching bit of loneliness crawl under his skin and spread throughout his body like a poison.

Usually Kyungsoo would accompany the prince through each of these tasks. He may have been a quiet presence but he was always there with Jongin, talking, making jokes and snide comments. When they were alone he'd share his small, assuring smiles. He was always different when they were alone, away from the palace servants and tutors and lords. He was softer, unguarded and loving.

The next day passed by much the same. Jongin immersed himself into his work as a distraction. For a while it would work but in between meetings, during meal times, or any brief moments of privacy—the heavy feeling in his chest would return and make home with doubt and loneliness. The worst part was that he didn't know what Kyungsoo felt or what Kyungsoo wanted. Jongin couldn't find solutions for problems he did not know. He was a prince, a leader, it was terribly hard for him to sit around and wait. His mind kept looking for empty solutions.

On the fifth day of Kyungsoo's absence, Jongin became worried. What if Kyungsoo had actually fallen ill? He considered visiting but the logical part of him resisted. It was unlikely he was sick; he was in perfect health when he had last seen him. Yet, a paranoid feeling lingered and he found the next best solution. He went around the kitchen and gathered some medicine and asked the head chief to make the soup he always made Jongin whenever the prince was ill. All this he packed together and asked one of their messengers to take to Kyungsoo's home. Before the messenger left Jongin also slipped in a note.

"I await your return. – Jongin"

With the messenger gone, he let out a sigh and willed himself to resume his usual work.

By nightfall, Jongin was barely able to keep his eyes open. He was tired but overworking himself was a good way to stay distracted. He found whatever he could to busy himself with and now all that was left was to retire for bed. He slowly stumbled down the hallway and headed towards his bedroom but stopped at a familiar face.

“Junmyeon, hello.” Jongin greeted the older man. He picked himself up, standing up straight and stretching an easy smile across his face. Junmyeon smiled warmly. “What brings you here?”

“Jongin, good evening. Ahh, I’m here for some business with the King.” Junmyeon replied. Jongin considered asking Junmyeon what exactly his business was but he decided he was tired and did not want to talk about his father.  

“Oh, well it’s nice to see you again.” Jongin smiled. They walked down the hall together.

“It’s nice to see you too. How have you been?” Junmyeon asked.

“Good, how about you?” Jongin replied. He was not fond of lying especially to people he trusted but he figured Junmyeon didn’t want to hear Jongin’s relationship complications.

“Things are fine.” Junmyeon replied. Jongin walked Junmyeon to the door while they made small talk. It wasn’t particularly meaningful, about this and that, but Jongin always enjoyed chatting with Junmyeon. They went outside and took a stroll upon Junmyeon’s request.

It was late. Jongin sparsely spent time outside of the castle the last few days. He stared up at the dark night filled with it’s blanket of stars. It made him feel infinitely small and, at times, unimportant. Sometimes, the feeling was a little reassuring. He was not important but neither were his problems. One day, they’d all get swept away in the cosmic dust.

“By the way, how is Kyungsoo? I hardly see the two of you apart.” Junmyeon asked, chuckling. Jongin felt his stomach drop a bit as if he was brought back to reality. Jongin dropped his gaze to the ground.

“Um, I believe he’s ill right now.” Jongin replied, quietly. Junmyeon turned to the prince, face knotted in concern.  

“Truthfully, I don’t think he wants to see me right now.” Jongin continued, quieter. He felt vulnerable revealing it to Junmyeon. He didn’t like it but it hurt to keep all of it in his head for so long. 

“Oh, I see.” Junmyeon said, he dropped his smile and stared at Jongin more seriously. “Jongin, you can talk to me about it. If you wish, I am here to listen to you talk about anything and help if I can.” Junmyeon continued. He put his hand of Jongin’s shoulder for comfort. Jongin stared at him a few seconds.

He contemplated his decisions. He looked at Junmyeon and couldn’t find any malice or deceit, he never could. He always looked reliable and so well together. He would probably make a better king than Jongin ever will, the prince thought to himself rather bitterly.

He broke. He told Junmyeon what had happened without explaining Kyungsoo and his relationship in detail. The look of understanding on Junmyeon’s face suggested that he probably didn’t need to tell him.  

“It’s stupid, I know,” Jongin scoffed. He kicked at the pebbles beneath their feet as they continued to walk past the palace. “If I can’t even make my friends stay by my side how am I going to one day lead a whole country? How is anyone going to look at me and think ‘I will follow this man’s word’?”

“Jongin, you will not be less of a King because of this. Everyone, Kings included, must face difficult decisions in their life.” Junmyeon began. “I know things are difficult because Kyungsoo is not here since, of course, this is something you two must figure out together.”

“Yes, that’s true.” Jongin nodded. “I just—did I do something wrong?” Jongin asked softly. He kept thinking back to recent memories of Kyungsoo, he picked them apart carefully searching for the smallest hints of expression or behaviour that could provide a clue as to how the other boy felt. Maybe something was there, Jongin could sense the smallest bit of uncertainty or displeasure from Kyungsoo—something was wrong but he didn’t know what.

“I don’t think so, Jongin. I think Kyungsoo just needs some time to work things out by himself. All you can do is wait for when he is ready.” Junmyeon smiled reassuringly. “Because I think you already know what you want, it’s just a matter of finding out what Kyungsoo wants.”

Jongin sighed in response. Junmyeon was right. Jongin could never push Kyungsoo to do things as Jongin wanted—to stay by his side and keep what they have. It was not an easy thing to do, Jongin knew, so he would allow Kyungsoo decide his own path. The idea should have been frightening, it was the first time he really considered not having a future with Kyungsoo, but love was a powerful thing. At that moment, his love and care for Kyungsoo even outweighed their relationship.

“Thank you, Junmyeon. I feel a bit better now.” Jongin finally replied.

---

Jongin woke up the next morning to the sound of his door opening. He was not a light sleeper, it would usually take much more to wake him yet, that morning he found himself awake after a long night of dreamless sleep.   

“Jongin,” now the voice jolted Jongin fully awake. The prince rose himself from his bed to the sight of Kyungsoo standing by his door. It was a sight he’d seen so many times. Kyungsoo, dressed in his same black clothes, holding the same folder of documents and schedule for the day.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin replied, his voice still sleep and deep. “Are you feeling better?”

“Um, yes. I apologize for my absence the past few days.” Kyungsoo replied. He shifted his gaze to the ground. He was nervous, Jongin knew.

“You have quite a busy schedule today, you should get out of bed now.” Kyungsoo continued. Jongin got out of his bed and closed the distance between the two. He was only in a pair of shorts and his hair was a disaster—a product of a decent night sleep after too many wakeless nights. Kyungsoo looked up at the sleepy prince and waited.

“We should, um, talk.” Jongin said, he rubbed the back of his neck nervously. He wanted to hold the other boy, to kiss his forehead, and thank him for returning.

“Yes, perhaps after you finish your work? You are going to be late.” Kyungsoo replied professionally. Jongin suddenly regretted volunteering himself to do all this work. He would not be free until the evening. Jongin agreed before getting dressed and heading out with the other boy.

Work went by quietly. It wasn’t that Kyungsoo or Jongin avoided talking but rather, they spoke only when it was necessary. It made Jongin anxious. He had been waiting for Kyungsoo to return for days but now that he was here, Jongin was afraid to talk to him. He kept sneaking glancing at Kyungsoo whenever he could.

He focused on his face, suddenly wanting to memorize each curve and contour. He studied his eyes when they were looking away, he loved how big they were as if they really were a window to his soul. They were so beautiful it made Jongin feel so warm inside. He memorized it all in case it was his last time looking at him.

It was nightfall when Jongin finished his work, the two boys had dinner with his family before leaving the house for a walk. Jongin took Kyungsoo to the beach by the palace. At night, it probably a less breathtaking sight but Jongin liked it none the less. It was dark outside but not enough that he couldn’t see Kyungsoo or the rolling waves. It was chilly but the salty air of the sea always calmed Jongin’s nerves. The waves were calm tonight, they rolled endlessly and peacefully. They walked for a while until Jongin felt they were appropriately far enough from the palace. Then he turned to his friend.

“Kyungsoo, tell me what you’re thinking. Why did you leave after that dinner with my parents?” Jongin asked. He reached out for Kyungsoo’s hand and held it. He waited for Kyungsoo to retract it but he didn’t.

“I thought it would be best if we spent some time apart after what your father proposed. I thought maybe you could consider things more objectively if I wasn’t here.”

“That’s ridiculous, did you actually think I’d consider the proposal? Kyungsoo, I love you.” Jongin replied hotly. Kyungsoo looked at Jongin in concern. He sensed the slightest hint of pain twisted on his face. It was the first time Jongin told Kyungsoo he loved him but he didn’t think it was a surprise.

“But maybe, you shouldn’t.” Kyungsoo replied finally. Kyungsoo let go of Jongin’s hand and reached for his shirt, tugging Jongin closer to him and leaning his head against Jongin’s chest. “Jongin, I just want what’s best for you. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.” Jongin pulled Kyungsoo back and cupped his face in his hand. He closed the distance between them until they were a breath away. He understood.

“What makes you think that you are not the best for me.” Jongin asked, his voice was less shaken now. It was quiet but stern. He understood now that all of Kyungsoo’s apprehension and hesitations were never because of himself, they were because of Jongin. Kyungsoo thought (foolishly) that being with him would only make things more difficult for the prince and he was almost angry at Kyungsoo for it.

“Kyungsoo, I love you. I love you so much but, I won’t force you to be with me. I would be asking you to sacrifice a lot for me but if you love me, then don’t ask me to sacrifice what we have for my kingdom.”

“But you are going to be a king, I can’t— “ 

“Kyungsoo, I might become the future King but I am still human. I cannot give them everything.” Jongin stared at Kyungsoo resolutely. Junmyeon was right, he already had made his decision a long time ago. It was not something he even had to consider, the answer was always Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo took a deep breath. He kept his gaze on the sand beneath them and said nothing for a while. Jongin listened to the waves for a while and told himself that he would be okay with whatever decision Kyungsoo made. It was not true, not really, but he thought that if he kept telling himself that then maybe he could make himself believe it. 

Kyungsoo finally responded with a deep sigh. He pressed his forehead against Jongin and closed his eyes. He leaned in and carefully pressed his lips against Jongin’s. Jongin’s hands were still holding onto Kyungsoo, he slid his hands down to his waist to pull him in closer. He melted into their kiss.

"Everything will fine, Kyungsoo." Jongin assured the him, as he pressed for another kiss. He felt a sense of urgency, craving for his touch but at the same time he wanted everything to slow down. He wanted to feel everything: Kyungsoo's lip against his, his hand caressing the prince's cheek, his body pressed against his.

"You don't know that." Kyungsoo replied. He continued his kisses in between his thoughts of doubt. Jongin found it perplexing. He wasn't sure if he should stop kissing Kyungsoo to speak to him clearly or if he should carry on with their half-make out, half-discussing the future of their relationship. However, Kyungsoo didn't particular look like he wanted to stop which Jongin was secretly pleased with so he didn't.

"You're right, I don't know," Jongin said. "But I'm not going to give up on us that easily. If it's okay with you, I rather go down fighting."

Kyungsoo stared at him for a moment, thinking. He looked focused, an image Jongin became familiar with over the years of working with him. It was like he can see the inner mechanics of Kyungsoo’s brain at work, dissecting and analyzing the situation. He smiled and kissed the boy again.

"I love you." Kyungsoo replied, quietly as if to himself. Jongin felt like flowers were blooming in his chest from love. The last few days were tiring, he felt drained of his usual emotion and functioned like an empty vessel. Now, he felt so in love that his heart felt like it was going to burst. The smile that stretched on his face seemed to say exactly that. Kyungsoo laughed at the sight.

---

“There was something I actually wanted to talk to you about, now that everything is okay again.” Jongin brought up carefully. He propped his head on his elbow and looked down at Kyungsoo. They were lying on Jongin’s bed. Jongin had, with much difficultly, convinced Kyungsoo to spend the night. Kyungsoo looked up at the boy attentively, one brow raised in curiosity.

“I was talking to Junmyeon yesterday and he told me that we should go stay with him for the summer. I think my father would approve, there is a lot I can learn from him and it could be fun.” Jongin realized that the two of them leaving for the summer was a much bigger deal than he originally thought and wasn’t sure how convincing he was being so he continued. “The weather’s nice, not as hot, and it’s quite scenic I hear. Lots of forested areas, Of course it is more inland so I would miss the beach but—“

“That would be nice, I think it’s a good idea.” Kyungsoo cut Jongin off when he realized that he’d been rambling. He held Jongin’s face in his hand gently. He parted his long bangs and met Jongin’s gaze.

“I think that—I don’t know, I am not like my father.” Jongin started, he fell back down onto the bed and stared at the ceiling. “I have always been scared that because I am not like him, I’m going to be some awful King. I still have a lot to learn but I think this can be a great opportunity to learn to be a King not like my father but a good King none the less.” Jongin continued to explain. He knew that he could learn a lot of Junmyeon and leaving the palace would be a good change of scenery that Jongin probably needed.

Kyungsoo deadpanned at the boy. He caught Jongin off guard and pounced on him. He rolled on top of Jongin and looked at the prince in displeasure.

“Jongin, how many times have I told you that you are not going to be a bad King just because you are not like your father.” Kyungsoo said. Jongin laughed at the older boy.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I can’t help it.” Jongin put his hands up in defense. “I’m just a little scared, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo’s face softened into a smile.

“Don’t be,” He replied sweetly, he leaned down until they were a breath away. “I’ll be there to clean up your messes.”    

Jongin raised his brow, slightly taken back but very much pleased by Kyungsoo’s response. He brought their lips together in a kiss and let Kyungsoo take control.

---

There was only one more important business Jongin had to take care of before he and Kyungsoo left to stay with Junmyeon for the summer. Jongin walked down the narrow halls to one of the private rooms of the palace. His father had a meeting with the treasurer this morning and he should be just about finished. He entered the room to find the King, alone at the far end of the table, still reviewing papers.

“Father, there is something I would like to discuss.”

“Yes, what is it?” He looked up from his work and stared at the prince.

“I wanted to make this clear before I left so the situation would not need to be prolonged but I am not going to marry the Lees’ daughter.” Jongin replied with all the conviction he can muster. Jongin was more than used to his father’s displeasure, he never tried to hide it. However, a few late appearances to meetings or inappropriate attire to a party did not compare to this.

“And why is that?”

“Sorry if I am being a little old fashion but I intend to marry for love, not for politics.” Jongin replied. His father studied Jongin. Jongin held is ground and reminded himself that nothing his father said would make him change his mind. He decided that he needed to learn to play by his own rules. He would learn to be a King not as his father was but rather his own kind of King. Jongin didn’t know what kind of King that would be but it was something he would work out on his own.

“Well, I am not a monster, I am not going to force you to marry her.” His father finally replied. He let out a sigh. “However, I do think you are making a mistake.”

He looked displeased but his father was always displeased with Jongin so that was nothing out of the ordinary. Jongin felt the whole situation turned out better than he was expecting: there was no anger or harsh words being thrown around, and Jongin didn’t have to defend his position. He stood there for a moment, anticipating more—a lecture or some further inquiry into his love life but his father said nothing else other than his goodbye to the prince. The two made their formal goodbyes before Jongin left the room.

Jongin felt a heavy weight lifted off his shoulder and in its place was excitement. He went into the main hall and confirmed that his and Kyungsoo’s bags have been packed. Once travel businesses were all settled, he returned to his room.

He found Kyungsoo waiting for him. He was looking out the window towards the ocean. They were both going to miss it. Kyungsoo turned around and looked at Jongin with an easy smile resting on his face.

“All ready, Jongin?” Kyungsoo parted from the window and walked towards the prince. Jongin exhaled a heavy breath and smiled. He extended his hand and interlaced it Kyungsoo’s.

“Yes, lets go.” 

 

A/N: aahaahaha this has been sitting in my wips folder for at least a century and a half, i finally just posted it for the heck of it. it's so cliche forgive me,,, i just love royaly!aus (you can blame the song of achilles and the cp series for this mess)