chapter 1

Feel Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungsik had concluded that this summer needed to include some soul searching before it even started.

 

The current summer, roughly beginning about now, would be his first as an (almost) college student and he’d achieved none of his goals he set at the beginning of the school year. He didn’t have any real plans of leaving this dumb and dreary town, nor gotten a super-hot girlfriend, or suddenly developed a hobby that would change his life yet. Only now was he starting to accept that none of that would have any real chance of happening without him actually leaving his bedroom. Before getting out of bed to go downstairs and make his little brother make him food he decided that nothing would come to him without hard work. He ignored the little voice in his head that told him “you say that every summer” as he closed his bedroom door behind him.

 

When he reached the bottom of the stairs it wasn’t an unusual sight to see his little brother lazily splayed across the sofa, his shirt riding up his chest as he watched some overdramatic drama on the TV.

 

“Hey Bin, what’s-” Seungsik began as he plopped himself next to his brother on the sofa, a sly smile on his face, but was cut off before he finished.

 

Subin turned around and shot him a noxious glare that was almost too funny to not laugh at. “Listen, if you think I’m making you breakfast you’re wrong. I won’t be your slave like last summer. I’m a changed person.” He proclaimed, grabbing the fabric of his shirt on his chest.

 

Seungsik scoffed because if Subin thought that becoming a junior in high school made him a “changed person”, for sure he would have an existential crisis when he graduated. “Whatever you say buddy,” Seungsik reached out and put his hand on Subin’s arm. “make sure you don’t make the scrambled eggs too wet. It feels like I’m eating cooked baby bird when you do that.” He teased before getting up to head towards the bathroom to wash up, his large basketball shorts sagging, barely held up by his waist.

 

They both knew Subin would cook regardless of his differences of opinion.

 

“Mom is next door by the way, I think Mrs. Han’s son is back home for some reason.” Subin raised his voice loud enough for Seungsik to hear as he got up in defeat, per usual.

 

“What, soccer didn’t work out for the towns star?” He yelled back, the sarcasm clear in is voice. Subin walked to the bathroom so he didn’t have to yell. “Don’t you think it’s weird though? He hasn’t even bothered to visit for like, two years?” Subin paused as if he were really bothered. “and now he’s suddenly coming back? I feel bad for Mrs. and Mr. Han. That must totally for them.”

 

“I guess.” Was all Seungsik said before stuffing his toothbrush in his mouth, Subin leaving to make scrambled eggs and toast.

 

At around noon their mom walked through the front door, slipping her shoes off before the door was even open.

 

“Hey boys, sorry I was out all morning, I was next door.” She continued while subconsciously tidying up all the shoes by the front door as she put down her own. “Her son is visiting from college.”

 

“Why only after two years is he finally visiting?” Seungsik asked in a snippy tone as he sat eating toast and scrambled eggs on the coffee table, ironically joining Subin as he watched his show even though he called it dumb less than an hour ago. His mom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter