001

Wedding Dress

tw: violence.

 

 "I have something to tell you."

They both said at the same time, breaking into small laughter right afterwards. The dimple that appeared in Namjoon's right cheek enhanced his pretty smile, making Seungwan's heart beat a lot faster than it already was. He was in a light blue shirt with black pants, his dark brown hair falling right above his eyebrows, his eyes twinkling brighter than the stars above their heads—his beauty, Seungwan thought, was ethereal.

 "Ladies' first." Namjoon gestured to her with a gentle wave of his hand.

 "Oh, no, no," Seungwan tried her hardest not to blush. "You can go first. Mine isn't such important news."

Actually, it was. It had been more or less seven years since they first met as students in Oxford. They were the only South Koreans in their year there and naturally felt a sense of comfort around each other, soon becoming close enough to the point they could be considered best friends. Even when they graduated and returned to their homeland, they were always in touch. It had also been around that long that Seungwan had been harbouring secret feelings for Namjoon. To this moment, she believed it was love at first sight. From his mannerisms to the aura he radiates, there was not one flaw she could detect of him.

And today, she was finally going to tell her how she felt about him. She had no fear of being rejected for she was confident Namjoon felt the same. She was sure.

 "Okay, then, I'll go first." Namjoon nodded. He leaned forward and gave Seungwan the most genuine smile she'd ever seen. Her heart thumped in her chest, could it be that he was going to confess his feelings to her?

 "God, I don't know how to say this," he chuckled, diverting his gaze away from Seungwan as if he was shy. "I just hope you'll take this well."

Seungwan was grinning. "Spit it out, Joon!"

 "I'm getting married." Namjoon said before burying his face in his hands, consequently failing to notice how much Seungwan's expression dropped. "I met this girl a year ago at Hoseok's party and we started dating, but she made me promise not to tell anyone because of her own personal reasons. I proposed to her yesterday and she said yes."

He was clearly esctatic while Seungwan could feel her eyes beginning to sting. "Are you mad? I mean, for not telling you earlier?"

What she really wanted to do was dump a glass of water on his head and run away crying, but she couldn't do that. She couldn't be honest with him. He looked so happy and she didn't have the heart or the right to tear that away from him.

 "N-no, not at all!" Seungwan forced out a chuckle. "It's shocking news, yes, but I'm so happy for you."

 "You are?"

 "Yes," Seungwan urgently swallowed the lump that had formed in . "I really am. I can't wait for the wedding, oh, wow, it's gonna be amazing."

 "I hope so," Namjoon smiled as he took a sip of his beer. "So, what was it that you wanted to tell me?"

Seungwan stole a quick glance of her watch. "Um, it's nothing big. Uh, Namjoon? I forgot that I have a meeting in fifteen minutes, I have to bolt. Sorry."

 "Oh, sure! Be careful." Namjoon reminded just as Seungwan shot up from her chair and hastily left the restaurant. He didn't even seem to notice the slight oddness in her behaviour—he was probably too happy thinking about whoever his lovely fianceè and their upcoming future together.

Seungwan slammed her car door closed once she was settled in the driver's seat. Her tears could no longer be held in; they had started to flow down her cheeks uncontrollably, her shoulders shivering in excessive sobbing. She had never been so devastated until this very moment. All those years waiting for the right time to tell the love of her life how much she adored him, only for him to tell her he loved somebody else.

Pathetic, Seungwan thought bitterly. She was so pathetic.

 

The wedding was a dream. Namjoon, handsome in his crisp suit and black bowtie, stood alongside Jeonghwa, the beaming girl who had just become his wife. They were close together throughout the whole ceremony, exchanging smiles and giggles and holding hands as they went from one table of guests to another. Anybody who was present in the hall that day could tell how in love they were—it was admirable.

Seungwan watched Jeonghwa sing for Namjoon from one of the further tables. She scoffed upon seeing Namjoon enjoying the mediocre performance a lot more than she believed he should. His grin went from ear to ear, a smile that she had never seen him wear whenever he was with her. Her grip around her wine glass tightened; she was trying her best to restrain herself from throwing the glass at the undeserving bride.

Jeonghwa was all dolled up with natural make-up and flowers in her hair, dressed in a gorgeous flowing white gown, a belt of small sequins wrapped around her thin waist. The dress was simple but beautifully elegant. In terms of appearance, she was a lot more breathtaking than Seungwan was, she had to admit that.

 But I can sing a whole lot better than her, her mind screamed. And I can take care of him better than she does. 

 "Congratulations!" when the time came for her to leave, Seungwan approached the couple, who in return looked so happy to see her. It made her sick.

 "Be happy, okay?" she mumbled to Namjoon as she hugged him. Oh, what wouldn't she do to stay in his arms for as long as possible.

She then moved to hug Jeonghwa and the unsuspecting bride accepted it gladly. When Seungwan's nails painfully dug into the side of Jeonghwa's hips, however, the younger girl was taken aback.

 "You better be careful," Seungwan whispered in her ear. "He's mine."

 

Jeonghwa didn't tell Namjoon about Seungwan's threat—she decided to think that it wasn't anything to worry about and after all, ever since the wedding, Namjoon barely even spoke to Seungwan. They were too busy with each other as happy newlyweds. Each day that passed felt like a blessing, especially since they were still in their honeymoon phase. After three months of barely being apart, came the day Namjoon had to leave the city for work, hence leaving Jeonghwa by herself.

Namjoon was more than grateful when his three days were finally up and he could go back home to the wife he so dearly missed. He found it a bit strange that she hadn't answered his calls or replied to his texts since morning when he informed her he was returning to Seoul, but he thought of it positively. Maybe she was in to give him a pleasant surprise.

 "Honey, I'm back!" Namjoon called out as he opened their front door. There was no response. He set his suitcase on the floor, taking off the loafers he was wearing and slid into his house slippers, craning his neck to see if he could spot his wife maybe hiding somewhere to play with him.

 "Jeong, I know you're there. Come here already," Namjoon chuckled. Silence.

 "Okay, okay, time to stop playing games now, please."

Still nothing. Namjoon began to feel worried, an uneasy feeling suddenly swimming in his stomach. He quickly rushed to the kitchen while shouting Jeonghwa's name, but she wasn't there. She wasn't in the living room, nor was she in the guest room, not the bathroom outside. He reached their bedroom and gasped to see that it had been completely ransacked, but no sight of Jeonghwa anywhere. He then realised there was only one place he was yet to check.

The master bathroom's door was ajar, just a little. Gathering all his courage within him, he pushed the door open and what he saw made him fall on his knees. Jeonghwa was laying on the cold, tiled floor, in the middle of a pool of blood. Her eyes were open as so was , like she was just about to scream right when her soul was right out of her body—the robe she was wearing, its colour originally lilac, was drenched in red. The smell made Namjoon want to vomit, but he was too shocked to even move a muscle.

 "I found her wedding dress," a voice came from behind. Namjoon's head snapped and through his teary eyes, he could see that it was Seungwan.

Seungwan was dressed in the white gown Jeonghwa had worn on their wedding. There were flowers in her hair, too. Unlike Jeonghwa on that meaningful day, though, Seungwan had stains of blood all over the dress. 

 "I look prettier in this, don't you think?" she questioned with a giggle. "You should've married me instead, Namjoon. I'm the one who's loved you all this while. Why couldn't you see that?"

 "What did you do to her?!" Namjoon growled. He couldn't believe what was happening—he knew that Seungwan harboured feelings for him but he never confronted her for it, thinking that it was her right to tell him herself. He would have never expected for things to end up this way.

Seungwan smiled. She lifted up the gun that Namjoon didn't notice was in her hands.

 "The exact same thing I'm gonna do to you." she said, before a gunshot was heard and Namjoon collapsed to the floor, a bullet hole in the middle of his forehead. As she hummed the tune of Here Comes The Bride, she approached him, smiling happily as she laid down beside him and snuggled into his limp arms. She sighed of relief, glad that he was now hers to keep.