Chapter 1

Brave 18

"Yah Ji-U!!! LEE JI-U!!! Are you seriously doing this right now?! How much longer do I have to chase you? Why do you always hide and make me search for you? Okay fine.. come out and... let's talk it throughly.. Lee Ji-U.. please.. my legs really hurt!" Eun-Jeong wiped off her sweat of her forehead with her arm as she tried to catch her breaths. 

 

Suddenly a tree branch shakes behind Eun-Jeong. Immediately she turned around and walked toward the sound and called out Ji-U, "Ji-U? Are you hiding behind that branch? ... come out... let's go back to the school before anything dangerous happens. With bunch of trees like a forrest.. are you kidding me? Come out and let's talk facing each other. Yah Ji-U! COME OUT!" 

 

Eun-Jeong reached out her hands to move the shaking leaves aside, but stopped as she heard a gun being loaded which soon more sounds of guns being loaded were heard. With shocks, Eun-Jeong didn't breathe then as she noticed she haven't been exhaling and inhaling she quickly took a big gasp of air and covered falling right on her bottom. 

 

"Ji-U! Ji-U help me! I think I'm going to die..! Guns...! JI-U!!! JI-...!" Terrified Eun-Jeong's thought was interrupted when there was a suddenly gun shot. Her quick reflects, she quickly dodge down then looked around and shakily lifted herself from the brown rusty fallen leaves on the soil that lacked grass. 

 

Rushing back to her school, she spot Ji-U with another girl. Without caring much about the girl and Ji-U's relationship, Eun-Jeong quickly rushed toward them and shouted, "GO BACK TO THE SCHOOL!!! OR ELSE WE'LL DIE!" 

The two ignored Eun-Jeong and just stayed put, continuing their talk. As Eun-Jeong reached them, she forcefully pushed the two of them back to the school, giving them a tearful, frighten, and shocked eyes. 

 

Ji-U noticed her eyes and quickly pulled the girl that was beside him and ran at full speed heading back to the school. As they ran back to their school, another gun shot was heard. Eun-Jeong stopped running and turned around gulping nervously. Ji-U turned his head back and saw Eun-Jeong stopping. The both of them stopped running and Ji-U turned to the girl he ran with, "Hye-Ri, go ahead and warn the office about the gun shot in the wood behind the school" 

 

With that, Ji-U and Hye-Ri parted. Hye-Ri ran as fast as she could without looking back. Ji-U quickly ran toward Eun-Jeong grabbing her wrist and pulling her away from the spot, "are you an idiot?! WHY WOULD YOU STOP RUNNING AFTER HEARING A GUN SHOT?! ARE YOU ASKING FOR DEATH?!" 

 

          "I think... a war is happening.." Eun-Jeong stated with unstable breaths. Ji-U turned glanced over his shoulder to see whether if Eun-Jeong was explaining the truth, indeed she was. Ji-U tighten the grip of Eun-Jeong's hand and sprint even faster. 

 

           "ARRRRUAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" A crowd-like roar scream was heard followed by gunshots. Ji-U and Eun-Jeong stopped their track looking at each other then behind them with uneven breathes. Ji-U and Eun-Jeong hunched down as covering their ears and shutting their eyes tight as the ground shook from a bomb. Ji-U quickly straighten his hunched posture and grabbed the hunching Eun-Jeong and ran towards the school. 

 

Hye-Ri on the other hand also heard the roar and bomb, but that didn't stop her track and she kept running her way to the school. 

Finally, Hye-Ri ran out of the woods and was a couple km away. As soon as she was a few meters away from the school, another bomb was bombed nearer to the school's location. Hye-Ri screamed as she jumped from shock. Hye-Ri started to sob and covered her eyes, calming herself down, "Hye-Ri..! You're almost there! Just a few meters away! You'll be safe!" 

 

Hye-Ri then looked up at the school and took a deep breath and started dashing to the school. As she got closer, some students heading out of the building. Hye-Ri spotted the principal and ran toward him, " PRINCIPAL SONG!! PLEASE SAFE US! WE ALL ARE GOING TO DIE IF WE STAY OUT HERE!" 

 

          "Calm down, tell me what's wrong."

"PRINCIPAL SONG!!! WE ALL ARE GOING TO GET KILLED BY BEING BOMBED OR SHOT!!" 

          "Say something that make sense!"

"I AM SERIO--- AHHHHHH!" Hye-Ri screamed as she held her arm, she was shot. She started crying and the blood started to flood out. The other students that were outside of the building also heard the shot and screamed rushing back inside the school. Principal Song widened his eyes and quickly picked up Hye-Ri and ran inside the building. 

 

          "F***! It's not safe at the surrounding or the school anymore either..!! Let's hurry up back to the school" Ji-U stated and started running toward the school again by pulling Eun-Jeong behind. However, Eun-Jeong's legs were very sore, she pulled her hand away and tried to talk through her uneven breaths, "my legs can keep up with your speed..!" 

 

Ji-U stopped his track and heard what Eun-Jeong said. He's then looked down at her legs to see wobbling legs. He grunted and kneeled down, "hurry up and get on my back! Just watch out our surround and warn me!" 

Without hesitant, Eun-Jeong got on his back and Ji-U ran his way back to the school while Eun-Jeong watched out for their surroundings. 

 

Finally Ji-U and Eun-Jeong reached the school and jumped and dropped on the ground from the bomb that was a lot nearer to the school. The both of them winced in pain and weakly picked themselves up. Again, there was another roar and more shooting happened. 

 

          "F***!! A WAR IS F***ING HAPPENING!!!" Ji-U shouted and pulled the weak, worn out Eun-Jeong who still had a hard time to pick herself up. As he dragged Eun-Jeong toward the school, the school exploded from the top of the building. Both of them saw the school exploded but turned their both to avoid the harsh gusty wind and soon heard ton of scream from students and teachers who rushed out of the building while the students that were in the upper floors couldn't make it. 

 

The gusty wind started to slightly fade and the building starts to collapsed more. Without wasting more time to cover their eyes from the wind, Ji-U and Eun-Jeong ran to the remaining students and staffs.Without wasting another second, Ji-U immediately searched for Hye-Ri, letting go of Eun-Jeong's hand. 

 

Eun-Jeong sadly stared at her hand that he let go of then slowly looked up at the back view of the worried Ji-U searching over each person to determine Hye-Ri's condition. "Why are you leaving me alone when you're dating me? Am I the only one in love? It hurts... I know... everyone takes advantage of my kindness, but... do you have to do it too.. Ji-U? I had been doing what's necessarily and forgave your wrongdoings. Or... am I just a typical, boring, and  easy girl that you now want to pass on? Or is it pleasing to see your girlfriend get jealous and sadden at your flirty side toward another woman?" Eun-Jeong thought and turned back to the wood with tearful eyes. 

 

Since it was a war, Eun-Jeong doesn't have any faith or chance of survival. Her thoughts were all about getting herself shot so she wouldn't see such hurtful things again from her boyfriend Ji-U. Right before Eun-Jeong could get out of the crowd, a girl fell right in front of Eun-Jeong. Without letting the girl fall down the the ground who had already screamed as she fell in front of her whereas the crowd circled around gasping and screaming. Groups of friends from the crowd started to fear their lives and passing words around in their groups about situations they all could be in. 

 

Eun-Jeong quickly shook the girl then widen her eyes and stopped her motion as she touched something wet. The girl that fell starts to sobbed and screamed from the pain since her wound was pressed. Eun-Jeong shakily lift her wet hand from the girl's shoulder and debated herself whether if she should flip her hand to look at the blood from a bullet. The shock overpowered Eun-Jeong that she felled down due to her legs weakening. 

 

As she landed hard on the ground along with the girl that she still holding onto started who seemed to start losing consciousness and stopped screaming and sobbing. The girl immediately started from the unbearable pain that felt like the bullet splitting into tiny pieces cutting through her whole body. 

 

Eun-Jeong shakily turn her bloody hand and starts to panicked who breaths started to get shorter and shakily placed her hand back on the girl's shoulders that was shot as the girl moaned louder at the press on her wound, "a-a-a-are you a-a-alright?! LOOK HERE!!! CAN YOUR HEAR ME?! ARE YOU CONSCIOUS?! LOOK HERE!!!! NO..! DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES! JUST HOLD ON A LITTLE BIT!! NURSE!!! IS THE NURSE OUT HERE?! NO, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS TO ME..!"

 

The girl bobbed her head losing consciousness. Eun-Jeong draped and felt her shoulders being pulled back harshly. 

 

"IM SORRY, BUT CAN YOU GET UP?" Without waiting until I moved away, the guy grabbed the unconscious girl and quickly tore the girl's clothe. Eun-Jeong couldn't move, she just sat along with the guy who she never saw before. As the guy continue to treat the girl Eun-Jeong looked up at the man and hesitantly asked the guy a question, "Are.. you someone... who.. works.. here..?!" 

 

The unknown guy just continue his work without answering Eun-Jeong. Eun-Jeong continued to stay there as she watched the man performing a surgery. The guy quickly stitched up the wound after taking out the bullet. He quickly gathered his tools back into his bag and turned to Eun-Jeong, "I'm sorry." 

 

As soon as he finished apologizing, he pressed his hand onto something in his bag. He brought his hands up and swiped his index and middle fingers on Eun-Jeong's cheeks creating two black marks on each side of her face. He quickly wiped the black ink on the ground and put his hands back into the back searching for something. After he found the object he was looking for he pressed his hands again in the bag and swiped his index and middle fingers on the wounded girl's face; the marks were red. 

 

"Be careful." The guy warned Eun-Jeong and quickly carried his bag and walked his way toward the wood. Before he could get away into the wood, Eun-Jeong quickly ran after him. Grabbing his wrist, Eun-Jeong came into his embrace. Her eyes widen to the sudden shock.

 

"I told you to be careful didn't I?" The guy pulled back and was about to take another step, but Eun-Jeong stopped him. She sighed and asked, "why didn't you answer me earlier? I asked you if you worked here" 

 

          "I don't work here. I happened to cross here. Now, leave me alone." 

 

"Where did you come from?" 

 

          "From the other side, now leave me alone." 

 

"The other side..? There's a school on the other side of the wood?" 

 

          "Yes, I didn't know that either. Now, if you could dismiss me." 

 

"WAIT! Are you a nurse?" 

 

          "I have to go back to protect someone on the other side of this wood." 

 

"Can I come along?" 

 

          "No." 

 

"Why!?" Is 

 

          "A war is happening, you're safer together with a big group." 

 

"... I won't get through this war alive either ways." 

 

          "Just tag along with your fellows." The guy said and quickly dashed into the woods before Eun-Jeong could speak another word. However that didn't stop her from chasing after him. As she chased him, she kept herself at a distance to make sure he wouldn't noticed. 

 

***

(At Eun-Jeong's school) 

 

"AHHHH!" Another scream was heard and soon as a second passed, most of the students went wild. They all started to run away, running into the wood, running back to the devastated school, and running their way back home. 

 

"JUN! JUUUUN!!!!! NO JUN!!!! WHAT TO DO...! NO!!! NOOOOOOO!!!" Jin's girlfriend Chae-Won shouted as she saw her boyfriend's chest's blood dripping from his uniform. Jun threw blood and fell on his knees then fell to the side as he clutched onto his chest. Chae-Won quickly kneeled down placing her hand on her boyfriend's chest. 

 

Jun start having trouble breathing and pulled his girlfriend close to him. Chae-Won winced from the pain on her arm, but she couldn't blame him because he couldn't control his strength from the pain of the shot. Chae-Won's tears flowed down as she  shifted her hands oh his chest to cupped his face, "Jun... Don't leave me... Jun... you promised me you'll marry me once we graduate! YOU CANT LEAVE ME LIKE THIS!! Don't die...! Jun... you proposed to me..." 

 

          "I'm sorry... I... don't think I'll be able to... keep that promise... I'm sorry... I'm so sorry my Chae-Won... Please do one last... wish for me... survive this war... and... protect our baby well... I... will always be next to you."

 

"Jun... don't... please don't say that... DON'T BREAK THE PROMISE WE MADE!! How can I survive without you? How am I going to survive with a child inside my womb?! Jun... I can't just let you leave me alone here by myself!!" Chae-Won stopped sobbing when Jun reached his hand out and placed it on her tummy. Chae-Ron tears rolled down as she closed her eyes and inaudible sobbed. Chae-Won placed her hand together with Jun's hand. 

 

          "Chae-Won... I can't survive no matter what. I won't live even if I receive surgery... please... protect our baby and live well... I... love you. I love you Chae-Won. I love our child too. Let's meet again... and let's love each other once again... without leaving early... Chae-Won... you must stay alive... I love you. I really love you." Jun shed tears slid off of the corners of his eyes as he pulled in and was only able to slightly pecked his girlfriend. Jin's head bobbed back and passed away. Chae-Won screamed and hugged her boyfriend Jun closely and tightly, "JUUUUUUN!!!!! Jun....! Jun...." 

 

As Chae-Won sobbed holding onto her beloved Jun, someone tapped her on the shoulder. Chae-Won looked up as saw Ji-U, instantly she sobbed harder, "what do I do?! As a twin brother..! Tell me what to do..! JIIIII-U!!" 

 

Chae-Won was pulled into an embraced by Ji-U, "you heard what Jun said... what best we could do is... placing him into a warm safe place..." 

 

Chae-Won continued to sobbed on her brother's shoulder. Soon she started to stopped sobbing and fainted. Ji-U quickly shouted out Chae-Won's name to regain her consciousness. However she didn't so Ji-U quickly transferred her along with the crowd whereas the injured students were treated. After Ji-U had laid his twin sister down and informed the nurse about Chae-Won, he saw Hye-Ri unconscious on other side of the group. Ji-U reached his hand toward the nurse and asked about Hye-Ri's condition, "that girl over there with a shot on the arm, how is she?" 

 

          "Ah, are you referring to Hye-Ri?"

 

"Yes" 

 

          "She should be fine after a few days of rest."

 

"Ah, that's a relief... then." Ji-U nodded his head after saying that. He quickly ran off back to the spot where Jun was. As he reached to the spot, there were many students surrounding Jun. Ji-U pushed pass through everyone blocking his way to the center. Looking at Jun, Ji-U gritted his teeth and shouted, "if you all have nothing better than staring, LEAVE!" 

 

After Ji-U said that, many students began to make a face at him and left. Ji-U sighed and picked Jun up, putting him on his back. As Ji-U walked them back to set Jun next to his sister.

 

As the injuried students were being treated, principal song came over and announced, "this war... though it seemed like a dream... it's reality... I know it's my right and responsibility to keep you all safe, however I am unalerted and can't do much to protect you all. The building had collapsed and I think the best possible way of survival is... treating our survivals as part of a secret war. Perhaps we all are probably going to spend our times in the forest. We all are unarmed and don't have anything to protect our lives. We all are going to hide somewhere safe as a group. Though we are together as a group, it's a big disadvantage to stay together as an extremely big group... our friends, our parents, our families, our love ones... we will always think of them... it'll be a sad parting... because it's war... a war... a war means... losing someone important in your life.. their life is like losing part of your soul... but let us don't forget what we got in our back... our bravery! Instead of fear ones life, let's fight and survive through this war!" 

 

(Sorry if they're mistakes! But I been spending countless of time trying to make an interesting hook at the end of the chapter..! Kinda failed to, but this is good enough!)