[✿]

Painted Orange

Warm sunlight shone through the curtains. The tables, chairs and floor were painted orange. The brown-haired girl clicked through her pen, spinning it around for a few times while her chin propped in her palm. The boy in front of her, instead of practicing his guitar as usual, was doing his English homework in utmost concentration.

"Donghyun," the girl softly called.

The boy hummed in response.

She called yet again, "Donghyun."

"Yes?"

"Donghyun."

"What is it, Haerin?" The said boy dropped down his pen and lifted his head up, now facing his attention-seeking friend. Eyes were sharp as usual.

"Nothing."

Having to say that it was nothing, he picked back up his pen and glued his eyes back to his homework. He knew there was something behind the 'nothingness'. He just didn't want to press further. After all, if she really wanted to say something, she should have said it straight to his face instead of playing games.

Again, silence floated in the air. Cool breeze blew the curtains and only the sounds of paper-scribbling and pen-clicking filling in. Haerin carefully observed him. Her eyes wandered to his loose black tie, and then towards his sleeves that were folded up to his elbow. Little drops of sweat trickled down his temples. Part of his hair was sticking onto his forehead. She silently thanked the hot weather for creating such a picture-perfect image. He was almost perfect in her eyes.

"What do you think of Hayoung?" Haerin turned her head to the side, gazing into the auburn sky, avoiding eye contact. Perhaps her question will decide her fate - more or less.

"Hayoungie?" The boy didn't take his eyes off the paper, as if that particular question didn't matter to anyone – not to him, not to Haerin.

She silently gulped. "Yeah. Her."

Hearing Donghyun calling the said girl's name was like a dagger piercing through her heart, strong enough to make her lose her voice, strong enough to make her body tremble. That moment she wondered why Donghyun never called her 'Haerinie'. They have known each other for two years. They have been friends for two years. And yet, Donghyun still addressed her as if they weren't that close. Instead, that Hayoung girl who he had met a month ago had it.

Donghyun paused – then leaned back, arms folded as he stared at Haerin. Their eyes didn't meet. She didn't want to look at him for an apparent reason. Obviously, Hayoung was interested in Donghyun exactly the way Haerin was, except that Hayoung was reaching further – almost there, maybe.

Donghyun closed his eyes. "I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"She's nice."

Haerin forced a smile onto her face, though she could feel her lips twitching in pain and anyone could unmistakably notice that – except Donghyun. He wasn't looking at her now, in this case. She choked. "Yes. She is nice – and pretty too."

"Yeah."

"If- Maybe, if you have the chance, would you go out with her?"

Her eyes were dead as if she was mentally ready for whatever his reply was. Her mind was completely in a daze, lost in a labyrinth. She could foresee the future, someway or somehow.

A complete silence.

Slowly, Donghyun leaned forward. He ran his hand through his hair. "I have never thought about that, but..," he paused.

"But..?"

Donghyun picked up his pen. "That would be really interesting."

He smiled – a genuine one at that. Haerin bit her lips and stared at the ceiling.

She lost.

She tried so hard not to tear up.

She finally stood up.

Donghyun raised his eyebrow. "Where are you going?"

"A break."

The hopeless girl closed the door behind her and strolled through the hallway. It was quiet, or at least to her. It was useless, she told herself. She couldn't help but having a mental breakdown – any girl would in that kind of situation. Shouts and cheers can be heard from outside, coming mainly from the soccer club. Cool wind brushed her skin and hair as she stopped by an open window, enjoying the view of the prettily-painted school.

Her eyes shot quickly towards the school's rooftop. It became a place she hated the most. It became a place for Hayoung to practice her dance – or rather, to be in the same place as him. Occasionally, Donghyun would also go there and practice his guitar. Coincidence? Definitely not, she thought.

Haerin remembered the day when Donghyun finally took notice; that day when he looked up with a grin and said the simplest yet heartbreaking words.

That girl.. Hayoung, was it? I always see her practice in this area.

Haerin bit her lips again. She wasn't supposed to remember these things. Not here. Not now. Yet, she felt sorry for herself. was killing her. Her tears were drowning her vision.

A hand touched her shoulder. She froze.

It was Youngmin.

"Here you are! You sure have the guts to reject my call!" Youngmin sounded somewhat annoyed. "Never mind. Forget that. Do you, by any chance, have the-"

He was cut off.

"You- Did something happen?" His expression instantly changed into worry.

Tears formed in her eyes and hovered for a moment before it fell wetly on her cheeks. She couldn't hold back anymore. She was sobbing now. Youngmin, on the other hand, was in a state of panic. Did he make her cry? He didn't have the slightest idea. Maybe he did. Did he raised his voice so much to the point it scared her? Maybe he should have approached her kindly. God, he couldn't understand girls at all.

Haerin muttered between her sobs. "Youngmin."

He flinched. "Y-yes?"

"I- I'm sorry."

"What? You don't have to apologize! I wasn't really angry with you ignoring my calls and all."

Her head tilted to the side in confusion.

"You," Haerin wiped her cheeks and went on, "called my phone?"

"Yeah. I called you twice. But you rejected it."

"When did you call?"

"Just now?"

"That shouldn't be right. My phone's not with me," she mumbled, completely ignoring the presence of the tall boy who stood before her. Her phone was on the table where Donghyun was. She was sure of it. Considering that it was Youngmin who called, Donghyun wouldn't have the problem to answer it in her place. They were close friends after all. He could have just told Youngmin to call back later – or tell him that she wasn't around. Even so, why didn't he answer it? Why did he reject the call?

Her hands trembled in an unknown fear. She was anxious.

An ominous silence drifted between the two.

Her legs carried her, though heavy, to the classroom where she left off. Her arms swayed back and forth rhythmically.

"Haerin? Where are you going?" Youngmin raised his voice but received no response.

He stared at the lone figure that almost disappeared out of his sight. A sigh escaped from his lips. A hand tucked into his pocket. The other scratched the back of his neck. Finally, his footsteps followed her silently from behind. His concerned eyes carefully watched her back, not knowing where this would lead him.

He kept quite a distance away from her. He noticed how her head was drawn to the concrete floor. Her footsteps were faint yet, in a hurry. Her sobs were nowhere to be heard yet, he could somehow feel it still. The distance he took was simply short yet, it took forever.

He almost did not realize when she finally glued in place.

All he could do was watch her from a distance.

She apprehensively approached the classroom. It was only a step away.

The door was left opened, which was quite a surprise to her. She remembered correctly that she had closed it earlier. She had the urge to step inside but her body refused to do so. Her feet froze in its place. was slightly agape on what was before her eyes.

Donghyun.

Donghyun had a subtle smile. His chin was resting on top of Hayoung's head. He gently held her head with his right hand while the other was wrapped warmly around her waist. Both weren't aware that Haerin was just outside the classroom. She wasn't quite sure of the situation. Was it a confession? Or was he comforting her? Either way, she felt lifeless and empty.

The lump in her/throat built up tremendously. Tear drops glistened as they ran down her pink cheeks and down to the floor. What she feared the most had came true.

Game over.

A hand covered her eyes and another caught her hand. Her fragile figure was pulled back.

A soft voice spoke through her ears. "I'll take you home."

Youngmin wrapped his arm around her shoulders and took a glance back at Donghyun.

At this point, Donghyun finally noticed the two. Their eyes met for a mere second.

And for that mere second, he hoped Donghyun would get the message.

Go after her.

It kept on circling his mind.

Go after her. It was just a misunderstanding, right?

But it didn't work. Donghyun was rather paralyzed at the sight of Haerin in Youngmin's arms.

He, too, misunderstood the situation.

Both actually had mutual feelings towards each other.

But, he didn't try to explain and she didn't bother to find out.

In the end, it didn't work out.

Because none of them pulled the trigger.