chapter 1

CODE

Ever felt like everyone around you has a big X written on their face?

X that will never disappear because those are the people you couldn’t trust.

How about those who doesn’t have it written on their face? Heh. I don’t know.

 

“About the Thesis I gave you last week… which I assumed you all started” Professor Cho emitted a low chuckle was dragging the tip of his pen against the white board, Jian stared in complete bore as she listened to her to the laughter that echoed around the class. Bunch of stuck ups.

She remained still but her pupils moved around the class, everyone got those X’s on their face. That’s how she see’s people around her, including her parents. Meaning that she has shut herself away from the social world. Jian hated it.

She closed her eyes and let out a deep breath until her vision was far from reality. It was a complete darkness with a small candle illuminating her surroundings. She was dreaming, and probably sleeping in class.

 

“Miss Xiu?”

No answer

“Miss Xiu?” The professor cleared his throat, wanting to wake the sleeping girl on her desk. She wasn’t making a noise but the professor thought it was a rude gesture to be doing while in class.

She has drawn the attention to herself.

Jian slowly flicked her eyes open, lifting her body up then looks around the room. All eyes on her.

She hated it.

“I guess you didn’t get enough of your Vanilla chai latte with extra shot or whatever you girls have” He said in an offensive tone, she let out a deep breath as she studied his face in silence.

Even the professor got an X on his face.

“I’m sorry Sir, “She mumbled, it was obvious that he made a scene just so he could embarrass her.

“I expect a lot from you Xiu, your parents worked hard to get you this far, don’t screw it up like you did in high school”  

Jian knitted her brows, did he really need to announce that event from last year?

Her breathing became heavy and she started to sweat. Talking about her past was the biggest taboo in her life.

“I-... I’m sorry sir” Biting her lips, she looked down, wanting to get away from the stares she’s receiving from the rest of the class.

 

Her high school experience wasn’t a secret but people should know when to shut their mouth. To Jian, it such a cheap demeanour to mention it in class. Though, she had no control over this teacher. He was bitter and absolutely despises her existence.

Before he could add another comment, a voice echoed across the auditorium.

“Cho, isn’t it time for you to dismiss us? It’s 11:05 “He removed his gaze from Jian to the clock before rambling about a thesis then finally dismissing the class. The professor was the first one to leave the room followed by the rest of his students. On the other hand.

Jian remained on her seat, wanting to crack a sob right at this moment but it was too risky.

Just as when she was about to stand up, the familiar voice approached her.

“Hey… you alright?”

Jian looked up and furrowed her brows, she sighed deeply at the view.

His hair was dyed in the colour of super dark teal and his arms looks like it was about to explode from the tightness of his sleeves.

She paid him no attention until an abrupt change has happened, her eyes were glued on his. He found it strange but then the thing he thought of was he was cute.

 

It was strange.

He didn’t have any X’.

She didn’t know why, but she’s about to find out.

 

 

---

A/N; The X's came from the anime movie called Koe no Katachi (a silent voice), That movie really hit me hard in the feels. It's a way for Jian to sort out the people who could trust and who she cant. 

 

-fijiho