final

Surf's Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rosé slams the car door to examine her surroundings. A sign that was only a few feet from where they parked, appeared to be rusty and discolored, almost like it was about to break down anytime soon. Disregarding its aged appearance, the words “Huntington Beach, California,” stuck out in white, bold letters. It was so large, it made her feel as if it wanted to be shoved in her face. 

She sighs, it hasn’t even been five minutes since they got here, and Rosé began to rethink of her decision coming. 

“It might be only me, but you look very displeased.”

She faces her friend, Lisa, and returns a small shake of her head. “It’s not that. I just don’t know what to expect.”

The Thai girl giggles. “Yeah, because I’ve been watching you judge that poor sign over there. Trust me, it’s beautiful here. You’ll love it. This is only just the parking lot, so don’t let yourself be down because of that sign."

The Australian didn’t say anything, but puckers her lips instead. She had a tough time when Lisa had asked her a week ago if she wanted to come here with her. From what she was told, tomorrow was the 2017 Surfing Competition. Being the friendly girl like she always is, Lisa invited her to come because they were planning to have a party before the tournament to wish good luck to those who are competing.

It took her some time to decide, until she finally agreed with a shrug of her shoulders. Her sophomore year in college was now over, and it’s not like she had anything better to do to start off the summer.

“Let’s go, they must be waiting for us.”

She follows her trustworthy friend like a lost puppy on a leash.

If Rosé had to be honest with herself, she was a bit nervous. She knew Lisa from a few of her classes, and the model-like, blond head was well aware of her personality. 

She was more of a listener than a talker. Maybe it was because she thought she didn’t really know what to say, or something. The quiet, reserved brunette eventually swallows the blob inside once she realizes that she might actually have to talk today.

It was a party for God’s sake, of course she would have to. She promptly glances at the pretty, tall girl in front of her. When she mentioned “they,” there was no other option, but to think it was her friends she was talking about. That means then everyone at the party would be her age; college students in their twenties, in fact.

Unlike her tedious self, Lisa is a social butterfly who everyone adores. She has the ability to strike up a conversation easily, that even Rosé found herself taking notes to, and she definitely knew for sure that there was no doubt she had a ton of friends. Then the next thought causes her fidget her nails together. What if there is going to be alcohol? She silently scoffs to herself, forgetting for a second they were all around her age. No duh there is, she rolls her eyes. Her stomach soon churns into a runny motion at the sickening taste of the bitter alcohol burning down . Shuddering, Rosé tastes her dry mouth to yearn for a cold bottle of water to get rid of the disgusting flavor.

The Australian had already planned on what to do when they got there. Carrying a small bag, she packed her sunglasses, lip balm, her wallet, sun screen, towel, and a book to help her escape the deafening music from the party. It was odd, now that she thought about splitting up with Lisa once they get to the beach, however it probably might be for the best, considering the lively girl would want to hang out with her friends and have a blast. She didn’t want to become a burden to her friend, so she had decided, without telling Lisa, that she’ll find her own little place to read and relax. It was simple, but she wasn’t sure if Lisa would approve of her introverted idea. She shrugs, expecting Lisa’s friends will come in and make her distracted anyway.

When she pulls away from her pondering, she gasps at the sudden warm and comforting feel beneath her toes. Scrunching them, she looks down to see the yellowish-brown sand sticking to her skin. Taking off her flip flops, she hums in delight when her feet sinks in. The dry, soft sand instantly hugs her around and in her feet. It wasn’t too hot for her relief as she proceeds to saunter behind her friend.

“Oh, look!”

The younger one points ahead of them, a huge grin plastering across her a face in cheerful joy, 

“Are we here?”

“Yup! Let’s go!” 

Rosé studies the way how her eyes lit up with glee as if it was Christmas morning. Her pearly white teeth stretches from ear-to-ear as she almost couldn’t wait to greet her friends.

Her feet tries to catch up with Lisa, while she hurries to the shoreline to see her friends. 

“We’re here!” the exhilarating girl shouts. 

Her hands rests on her knees as she slightly pants, trying to take in the oxygen she needs. She straightens up to peer over at Lisa, who was laughing along with a small group of friends. Her laughter reaches her ears as her shining smile didn’t appear to be wiped away anytime soon. The corner of her lips genuinely lifts up, watching their lovely reunion before switching her attention to what was in front of her. 

Her pink lips parts, while gaping at the sight. It was almost like being stunned in a wonderful trance in which she longed to stay in. The gentle rustling of the breeze dances through her hair, with light kisses upon her face as a sign of welcome. The fresh, crisp air tickles her nose as it wrinkles to smell the natural seaweed descending from the ocean waves. The thick layer of salt lays on her tongue when she quickly her upper lip. 

She lets out a calm breath to gaze at the beautiful sun with its golden beams flashing across the sky. Its fingers extend towards them, almost as it were to touch the rich natural soil, begging for entrance to deeply root itself into the core of the world. The yolk looking sun glisters in pride as it hovers above them, with its radiating touch tingling her skin. 

Sometimes she would forget the sun is a star. There was such a difference between knowing and feeling. Being an indoor person never got her the opportunity to go out and admire the sun, but now that she is out here — it changed everything. Rosé had no idea how she never took the time to appreciate the yellow dwarf star, that is really just a hot ball made up of glowing gasses. But now thankfully, she has finally witness its pulchritude. It causes her to think about what it would be like — feel like to watch the sun peacefully floating on the waters, streaming out the vibrant oranges and red into the horizon like a pot of lava as a sweet parting for the day. She pictures herself viewing at the sunset; its fiery red orb sinking into the skyline, threads of illumination drifting serenely in the sky, and the small gust of wind in the soothing, hushed evening. It sounded marvelous. Like an innocent child, her hands reach up to grab the sunlight, to inevitably see it go through her fingers, like a mist. She smiles. What a lovely star, she thinks. Our star, our sun.

Feeling a tug on her arm, she snaps out of her daze to see Lisa motioning her head to where the party is located.

“Come on, let me introduce you to my friends.”

 

❀❀❀

 

Rosé admits Lisa’s friends to be not bad than what she expected originally; they were funny, nice, and didn’t jump in her face to ask questions. She wonders if the blond-haired girl has mentioned about her quality traits in advance.

After getting to know them for a while, they invited her to go get a drink until she declined the offer. Nodding their heads, they bid away, leaving Lisa and Rosé alone.

“Well, what do you think so far?”

“They’re nice. I expected your friends to be, I don’t know, aggressive?"

A loud laugh came out. “Nope. My friends are just really weird. I hope they didn’t freak you out, or anything.”

Rosé was fast enough to disagree. “Oh, no. I think they’re fun to hang out with it.”

Lisa exhales in solace. “Well, I’m glad.”

“I was wondering if you can tell me more about the surfing competition.”

“Oh, that’s right! Sorry, I guess I sorta told you last second and barely explained. As you know, the tournament is tomorrow, and we are having a celebration for the people who are competing. I believe” — her index finger settles on her chin — “there isn’t that much surfers competing. I would say ten to fifteen, I’m not sure, but later, a lot more people are coming since the party technically just started.”

“What about the judges?”

“There’s usually about four to seven judges. I guess it just depends how world-wide it is, however this isn’t big compared to the World Surf League. This only just a little fun event to kick off the summer, so it’s definitely not that serious.”

She nods, starting to understand. “And I’m assuming the prize, which will most likely be money or a trophy, would be more valuable if the event is huge?”

“Yeah. There probably be like four judges. Like I said, this isn’t a big deal; it’s mainly for enjoyment anyway.”

“Do you perhaps have a friend entering in the contest?”

“I do. We mainly call him ‘J,’ since it’s his nickname.”

Her head to the side, with curious eyes. “Is he good?” 

Her eyebrows raises high. “Beyond good — he’s crazy good. I don’t know why he doesn’t want to try out for the World Surf League, since that’s, like, the biggest organization! If you win, you can get so much money and recognition. You heard of it, right? It’s located in Burleigh Heads, Australia.”

Now that she has the time to think about it, she does realize the name sounds familiar. “Oh, that’s right. They had recently changed their name a few years ago; 2014, was it? But they were used to be known as the Association of Surfing Professionals.”

“Ohhh, that’s make sense now.”

“No wonder that name rings little bells in my ears.”

Her friend snorts. “That tournament is literally insane. From what I heard, there could be more than fifty-one contestants.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. Not also that, but each heat takes twenty to thirty minutes, so it’s no surprise the event will be long, considering there’s over fifty-one.”

“What’s a heat?”

“A heat is technically a surfing term for round, a run per say. They generally pair surfers to compete head to head in each ‘heat,’ and the winner of that heat will go up against people that won other heats. I’m not sure why it’s called the heat, too. I guess it just makes things more exciting.”

“Then what are the surfers suppose to do during the heat?”

“A heat usually consists of two to four surfers at a time. I told you a minute ago, the participants have twenty to thirty minutes, but during that time, they have to catch the best waves as possible. Then again, the duration of the heat depends on the type of competition.”

“Everything depends on the type of competition,” Rosé mumbles in awe.

“Exactly. I mean, it goes for every other sport, too.”

“How many waves do they need to catch?”

“Hm..they’re permitted to catch a maximum of fifteen waves per heat.”

The brunettes eyes expands. “What?! That’s so much!"

“That’s what a surfing tournament is all about.” 

“Interesting..”

“But hey, even if it is long, it gives me an advantage to check out all the guys here.”

She sniffles a chuckle. “How so?”

Lisa’s throws her arms up into the air. “Oh my goodness! Have you seen the guys here? They’re so hot—“

Out of nowhere Rosé sees an unknown arm snake around Lisa’s shoulders.

“When you say hot, you better be talking about me.”

Rotating her attention, she catches a guy with dark brown hair. He wore a white beanie as his bangs slightly hovered above his long eyelashes. She glimpses at the ear piercing on his left ear, while he only wore casual shorts and a chill t-shirt. He was cute, especially when he displayed his bright, toothy smile. The stranger no doubt looked around her age, and was a few centimeters taller than Lisa, yet he had this foreigner feel she was able to sense. 

Lisa rolls her eyes. “Who?” in a mocking tone.

The guy’s smile completely drops with a pout and a glare. “That’s not the way to talk about your boyfriend—"

“Anyways, Rosé, I’ll introduce you to this idiot over here—“

“Hey! I—“

“Stop talking, and let me speak!”

“No! I can’t believe you called me an idiot! Who do you think I—“

“You act like you never been called an idiot before, you dimwit!”

His jaw hangs wide open at her comment. Placing his hand on his chest in a sassy manner, he turns to the innocent Australian in front of them. 

“Excuse her, for this rude behavior Lalisa Manoban is showing you,” he says, like he wasn’t afraid to be ashamed by singly calling out his girlfriend.

Lisa punches his shoulder. “Excuse me? Excuse you!”

Biting down her bottom lip, cautiously glancing back and forth towards the couple, she steps in. “Um, guys?”

“Oh, sorry!”

With one last scowl, Lisa nudges him in the ribs as he lets out a painful moan. “Rosé meet Ten. This is my boyfriend, sadly,” she quietly whispers the last word, hoping he didn’t hear. “He's also from Thailand, like me.”

“Aw, that’s cool!”

Just like that, Ten suddenly leaps up from his injury and pulls Lisa, who whimpers at the sudden action, to his chest with a pleased grin.

“I know, right? Aren’t we the cutest?” he boasts, like their little argument never happened.

She laughs. “Very."

Lisa amusingly shakes her head at her silly boyfriend.

“How did you guys meet?”

“Dance competition—“

“Ice cream parlor—“ 

Rosé simply blinks at the two completely different answers, while the Thai couple sent perplexed looks to each other.

“What?” the two choruses together.

“The ice cream parlor was when you broke up with me,” Lisa claims. 

“Are you sure?” Ten crinkles one of his eyes, trying to think.

“Yes. I remember,” his girlfriend grits her teeth. 

“Oh, right! We met at a dance competition!” he snaps his fingers.

“Wait! You broke up with Lisa?!”

Her eyebrows furrowed, puzzled at the strange behavior Ten put on when his girlfriend mentioned he broke up with her.

Why does he look so calm and not bothered? 

Snorting, Lisa passes Ten an irritating expression, while he returns her a virtuous beam. “Yeah, but it’s not what you think. My closet friend, Bambam, hooked us up together. We chatted and talked for a few weeks. Also, there was a few dates, but we weren’t officially dating, yet. So, Ten, being the slowpoke as he is, still didn’t up the guts to ask me to be his girlfriend. Instead, I asked him myself. Then a few months after we began dating, we went to the ice cream parlor, and he told me he had something to tell me. Little did I figure, he said that he wanted to break up with me. I was literally about to break down until I heard these exact words that came out of his mouth, ‘Hey, now that we’ve broken up, will you be my girlfriend?’ And then I lost it”— she jabs a finger at Ten, who was rubbing sheepishly on the back of his neck — “I originally asked him out, however he thought men should do it, so this guy broke up with me in order to ask me out.”

Rosé broke out into a fit of laughter at the funny story.

“I never heard of that in my life.”

Her friend continues to shake her head in disappointment. “You’re so extra, I swear. Like, who even does that?”

“Well, manly guys, aka me, should be the one to ask you. Did you know how unmasculine I felt when you asked me instead?” he fiercely defends.

“Yet, in reality, I still wear the pants in this relationship,” her arms cross in an officious way.

“Whatever,” he answers, not wanting to admit that she does. “Is it your first time here?” Ten directs the subject, in hopes of ceasing the daggers thrown by his girlfriend.

“Yes. Lisa invited me.”

“Nice. We were planning to get a drink, do you want any?”

“No, thanks. I don’t drink.”

“Then what are you gonna do?”

“I was just planning on finding a little separate spot, so I can sit down and relax.”

“You’re not gonna dance with us?”

“I’ll pass. Partying isn’t exactly my type of thing.”

“We understand. Alright, I hope you have fun. I’ll go get us some drinks.”

Ten gave Lisa a quick peck on the cheek before dashing away.

“Your boyfriend is something,” Rosé mocks.

“He’s so odd. This is why I don’t like to talk about him a lot,” she giggles, “are you sure you don’t wanna hang with us?”

“Really, I’m fine. I would rather read my book.”

She could see in her friend’s eyes that she wants to disagree with her idea, and make her join. 

“Well, if you need me, you know where I am. Don’t wander off so far, and make sure your phone is on.”

“I will, thanks for the worry. Now go back, everyone is waiting for you.”

Lisa grins at her. “Alright, I’ll see ya in a bit!”

She waves her hand, while watching her friend jog to the crowd where a DJ was seen with people lining up to order something from the bar, and games people were playing around the area.

What an amusing pair...

 

❀❀❀

 

Soon after, she starts to walk around the beach when she finds a spot. Laying down her towel onto the sand, she plops down with a comfortable sigh. 

Her crystal orbs are instantly drawn into the vast sea and its peculiar beauty. 

Tips of shells stuck up into sand with tiny holes, made by little creatures that sought out for shelter. Mounds of beige dust eager to be soaked up by the sea. The sand shortly blurs out in an euphoric reverie as the shore fades into the liquid gold. It was utterly enchanting.

Waves of deep royal blue harnessed its majesty, while its ebbing tide was harmonious as a soft, mellow harp. The ocean’s surface was like a calm ripple, gently lapping across the sea, breaking the sunlight into a pastiche of reflected colors. When the silky swell passed the sand, it left an exquisite lacy foam, like a spider web, as it waits for the lingering strands of the wave to retreat.

The screeching seagulls echoes in her ears, while they fly overhead in their endless hunger. Chlorine fills her nostrils, yet she didn’t mind. 

The pulsing heart of the sea resonates a beautiful song when she hums in rhythm. It was like a mermaid’s call as it enticed her to go deep into the copper bottomed depths to await for her eternal slumber. She envisions herself floating in the void of free gravity. She was captivated by the doozy, blissful waves that faintly crashed upon the golden shoreline, their curling fingers brushing against the tender, sleek dunes with a light . 

How could such a prepossessing thing have its marvels and its dangers? There was no such thing that anyone could truly seize its mysterious eminence that it holds.

Her luscious eyelashes drift above her eyes when her lips curve upwards. 

Lisa was right. It is beautiful.

Taking out her light novel, she begins to read, soon finding herself lost into another world.

 

❀❀❀

 

Rosé lost time on how long she’s been reading. She figured it had been a few hours since she's arrived. Just like Lisa had said, there was a lot more people than before. She was almost done her intriguing book when decides to might as well finish it.

As she goes back to being indulged into her novel, she hears the soft footsteps strolling towards her.

“May I sit here?”

She peers up to the owner of the soothing voice to almost accidentally choke on her spit.

He didn’t wait for her to answer, as if he already knew she was going to say yes, and cozily sat down next to her. 

His salty, sea spray scent whiffs toward her, however it wasn’t bad, she had to admit. She didn’t know what it was, but it was a prickling freshness, and a hint of sandalwood that tickles her nose.

He smells like the beach, his aroma reminds her.

She sees him reach out his hand to her. 

“Hey, my name is Jaehyun.”

Rosé pauses to analyze his posture. Like Ten, he wore comfortable and simple clothes, however she caught the Hawaiian white bead necklace. His legs were bent, in which his knees were up in the air as his left arm cooly lays loosely on the sand, while his right arm crosses over in front of his body to shake hands with her.

His hair abruptly distracts her thinking. Tousled, chestnut hair waves in sync with the breeze and the thought of wondering how soft his hair would feel underneath the pads of hands, forces her to twine her fingers. His skin was honey-like when she wanders down, pondering to think the sun had kissed him to achieve that golden, glowing tone. He was sculptured, like an ornate statue when she takes the time to observe his finely carved, attractive jawline. 

She notes the little smirk in his perfect grin, once she realizes she still has yet to introduce herself.

Clearing , she shyly replies, “Hi, my name is Roseanne, but I mainly go by Rosé.”

“Rosé,” he reiterates in a nonchalant voice.

Electrifying shocks spiraled up her skin, not wanting to confess how much she liked to hear her name rolling off his tongue.

“You’re from Australia, I assume.”

“You’re correct, and you’re also from Korea?”

“What blew it away? My little accent or my name?” he jokingly asks.

She chuckles. “Both.”

“Well” — his shoulders lift in a humous way — “I’ve been living in America for four years, that’s why I’m here, man.”

Dimples emerge from his skin, and she has unexpected desire to pinch them.

Rosé laughs, again. “I moved here last year."

“Well, it is a great pleasure of mine to meet you,” he smugly gives a little head bow of courtesy. “Is it your first time here? I’m definitely sure I would’ve seen you around before.”

“It is, actually. My friend Lisa encouraged me to come.”

“Lisa, Lalisa Manoban? She’s also a friend of mine.”

“Really? How cool.”

“Yeah, however, I’m a bit disappointed on why she never told me she had a cute Australian friend.”

Her eyes widen a little at his sudden compliment and became flustered. 

“Does that mean you’re going to the competition tomorrow?”

She nods.

“Well, since it’s your first, I hope you have a blast.”

“Thank you. Since you asked me if I’ve been here, I’m guessing you come here a lot.”

“Yup, I live near here, actually.”

“Wow, that must be so nice.”

He sighs. “It really is. My family owns a surfboard shop down a few blocks. I work there everyday, except for Sundays. It’s not that long, though; about five hours each day. Then when my shift is over, I usually come down here. There isn’t really trouble here. I like it. It’s peaceful, and my worries always go away when I gaze at the ocean.”

“That’s easy to agree. It must be really convenient for you.”

“It is. What about you?”

“I work at Fantaisie Rose in Los Angeles.”

“So would you think you can give me a free discount?” one of his eyebrows shot up, wittily. 

Rosé returns him the same expression. “Oh, I never knew you were the type to wear makeup. You must look very good-looking to be in an eyeliner and red lipstick.” 

Immediately his teasing falls. “What?” muddled at her statement.

“It’s a French makeup shop,” she giggles.

Turning a little red, Jaehyun rolls his eyes. “Whatever,” he mumbles. “But if you insist, I guess I wouldn’t look too bad in red lipstick.”

“Modest, are you?” she sarcastically says.

He winks at her. “What gave it away?”

The two chuckle, while observing the ocean waves. 

“But you live in Los Angeles? That’s pretty far.”

“Yeah, it’s an hour away.”

His eyes later notice the narrative in her lap.

“What are you reading, if I may ask?”

“Oh, um..it’s a fiction story told during the dynasty era.”

“It takes place in Korea, doesn’t it?”

“It does.”

“Enthralling. What is it about?” his face written in interest.

“Well” — she clears — “it’s about a princess who is in love with a warrior in her dynasty, however as you know, love with someone who is not royal blood is forbidden. Not also that, but there is a war coming that has been going on for over twenty years, and there is no certain that warrior will come home alive. There is a lot of irony established in this book because he shares the same feelings, too.” She saw the astonished flash on his face before proceeding. “And the sad thing is, they’re both too afraid to tell each other because they think the other dislikes them.”

Jaehyun casts a depressing frown. “Why won’t he just man up, and tell her? Heck, I would’ve jumped on a table and yelled it out to the world.”

Rosé sorrowfully swishes her head. “It's not easy. By confessing, their statuses and reputations would be tarnished.”

His features soften. “I guess that’s true. Then what happens in the end?”

“I haven’t gotten to the end.”

“Well, when you finish, will you let me know?”

“You don’t look like the type to be into books.”

“Just because I don’t look like it, doesn’t mean I am," he justifies himself. “Why? Is it bad?”

“No, it's just surprising.”

“Well, okay, Missy. Tell me about yourself.”

She throws him a comical look. “Me?”

“Yes, you.”

“What about me?”

“What makes you, well, you?”

“I’m really not that fascinating to know about..”

Jaehyun pokes her shoulder with his. “I wouldn’t be fascinated if hadn’t asked you, now would I?"

Rosé’s teeth grazes the bottom of her lip, still debating whether or not to tell him.

“Fine. Let’s start with the easy stuff. What’s your favorite color?”

“I like dark and bright stuff. Purple, maybe.”

“Favorite food?”

“Kimchi jjigae.”

“Good answer. Where were you born?”

“Auckland, New Zealand, but raised in Melbourne, Australia.”

“Why did you decided to come here — not that I’m complaining?”

“I thought it was time for me to go out of Australia and experience more out here.”

“How is it so far?”

“It’s more than I could ever imagine, it’s so different here."

“I’m glad you like it. Do you have any hobbies?”

“I like to play my guitar, draw, and read.”

“Siblings?”

“Only one. My older sister, named Alice.”

“Ideal type?”

“My what?”

His question caught her off guard.

“Your ideal type. What do you look for in a guy?”

She gulps, not sure how to answer. “Uhh, someone who’s caring and genuine. I would like it if he has nice voice.”

Randomly, Jaehyun magically flips his hair, as if he was one of those heart throbbers in a Korean drama. “Have I told you how excellent I sang in my school festival during middle school?”

The brunette explodes into giggles at his odd gig. “Really now?”

“Why, of course! Everyone was heads over heels for me!”

“Oh. I bet you were the captain of the soccer team and was so popular with the girls. You must’ve dated a really pretty one,” she facetiously claims. 

“Actually, it was basketball,” is the only thing he corrects her on.

The girl scoffs before crossing her arms. “Fantastic to hear, Mr. Jock.”

“Anyways, going back to the topic, have you been in a relationship?”

Blinking, she flinches to reply, “N-no.”

Jaehyun turns to show her his disbelief. “No way.”

“Why, you don’t believe me?”

“Of course I don’t.”

“But it’s true—“

“Who wouldn’t want to date you?” his tone laces in mistrust, not failing to hide his amazement. 

She didn’t know whether to thank him for the compliment, or jump in happiness, but either way, the shade of red manages to cover her entire face in no time. 

“No one really showed any interest in me, anyway,” she timidly speaks.

The guy aggressively shakes his head. “That’s a lie."

“I’m ser

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter