The Start to Happiness

Reminisce

Author's Note:

Special Thanks to TheEAM for the upvote! Life has been a as usual, it takes a while for me to update. Hopefully this is alright.

 


*February 2014*

 

Taeyeon’s POV:

 

We’re now on our way to Gimpo Airport, flying out to Jeju Island for a project. We got lucky that our team selected to go to the nearest destination to research on Corporate Social Responsibility movements that the resorts have put in place. (It was an actual project *_* kinda stupid but yea) Maybe studying Business and Hospitality management was going to be fun anyway. Within this one month that I was working with Tiffany, she has proven my first impressions right. Working with her was a pleasure and we got closer to each other as we spent time to settle admin stuff together. We were waiting for all our members to gather when I noticed Tiffany started to space out.

 

“A penny for your thoughts, Tiffany?” I asked Tiffany, suddenly feeling uneasy that a person with such a bubbly character was spacing out. Tiffany did not seem to hear me as she did not respond. I looked up and saw Seohyun having the same expression as I do, seemingly worried as well. I nudged Tiffany as Seohyun came closer, catching her attention to let her know that we are concerned.

 

Tiffany’s POV:

 

I was startled as I felt Taeyeon nudge me, finding her and Seohyun having a concerned look on their face. I was spacing out because I was worried. I’ve been having sleeping problems ever since that incident 3 years ago and we’re going to have to stay for 2 nights at Jeju tonight and I’m worried I’ll be a burden to the team.

 

“Sorry guys, I just didn’t sleep well last night,” I gave them a weak smile, hoping to convince them that I’m alright.

 

“What’s bothering you? You know you can trust the both of us right?” Seohyun asked, very worried about me. Maybe it is because she haven’t seen me in this state before.

 

I let out a deep sigh, knowing I have to talk to them about it if I want to return to Seoul in one piece after this research trip.

 

“I know we booked 2 rooms, but how are we splitting the rooms?” I asked, hesitant on how to go about telling them about my dark past. I saw them look at each other, confused.

 

“Well you and Seohyun can share a room, I can share with the other 2. Just a suggestion.” Taeyeon said as she shrugged, not sure why I was so worried about such a small matter. I let out another sigh. It’s now or never.

 

“There is something you guys need to know,” I paused gauging their reaction, only to see encouragement to continue from both of them. I stared at my feet and continued, “I… I’m actually suffering from Post Trauma Stress Disorder. I don’t sleep very peacefully and I’m worried I would affect the team because of it. I only slept for 2 hours last night as well.”

 

Seohyun came closer to me and pulled me into a warm embrace before asking me what happened and if I was comfortable to share. I slowly told them that I was 3 years ago by my first boyfriend and how I always get nightmares, flashbacks and anxiety attacks at random. I was worried that if they see me in an attack they’ll stay away from me thinking I’m mental, since we’re going to spend at least 48 hours straight together.

I felt the embrace tighten as Seohyun whispered words of reassurance in my ear. I felt her turn to look at Taeyeon, I guess giving her the worried look. I felt Taeyeon come closer and pat me on my shoulder. I looked up and saw a warm and compassionate gaze coming from her.

 

“Don’t worry, we’ll help you throughout the trip.” I looked up in surprise when I heard reassurances from both Seohyun and Taeyeon and was touched because I never told anyone in my previous school about my problem and never needed to. This time when I need to, what I received was not rejection but accommodation and acceptance. Our other 2 teammates arrived and Seohyun took the initiative to talk to them, which I was thankful for. At that point of time, I was so emotional that I started to tear, and when Taeyeon saw it, she came closer and also gave me a hug. I felt so much warmth and security coming from her. I looked up and our gazes locked onto each other, and I never felt so secure in my life.

 

During our flight to Jeju, I was seated next to Taeyeon. She held my hand reassuringly, letting me know she is there and encouraging me to take a nap. I was so exhausted I fell asleep, only to be startled awake after a nightmare, with tears flowing down my cheeks. When I gained awareness of my surroundings, I realised that Taeyeon had me in a side hug, telling me that everything was alright, and that she was right there, while wiping off the tears from my face. I looked at her again, surprised to feel my heart skip a beat.

 

Throughout the trip Taeyeon was a really good leader to get our research going, splitting the whole team up to do research. She made the effort to keep me together with her, keeping my mind off anything that is on my mind except for play and research. At the end of the day, she even switched the sleeping arrangements to have me share a room with her. It was afterwards that I found out that she discussed with Seohyun only to find out that Seohyun is a heavy sleeper and she won’t be able to react if I was having an attack.

 

Taeyeon’s POV:

 

The first night at the resort went peacefully, in which I only found out in the morning that Tiffany hardly slept. We went about the second day having fun. I’m glad that Tiffany and I put together such an efficient team to work with. We got most of our research done on the first day, leaving most of the second day to pure fun.

 

I was paying extra attention to Tiffany, as I found her charismatic and fun side really heartwarming. Having seen the state she was in when she awoke from her nightmares on the plane broke my heart and seeing how strong she was being really gained my admiration for her. I started noticing her even more as her eye smiles always took my breath away.

 

It came to night time and I came out from the shower finding Tiffany already asleep. She should have been exhausted since she did not sleep much the past 2 days. I sat down at her bedside, unconsciously caressing her face, wondering why did such an angel have to go through such a traumatic event. Even if she didn’t tell us the full story, I can tell that she was really affected by it.

 

Suddenly I saw her frown and started crying in her sleep, seemingly very unsettled.  She was startled awake like she was in the plane, but this time she sat up and curled into a ball against the headboard, rocking back and forth mumbling words that I could not make out. I panicked seeing her in this vulnerable state and I sat right next to her and pulled her in for a hug, whispering reassuring words in her ears hoping she would snap out of it soon.

 

Tiffany’s POV:

 

I managed to snap out of my anxiety and I felt a now becoming familiar warmth around me. She sensed that I wasn’t as tensed up anymore and she let go a little, asking me if I was feeling better, which I nodded my head to as an affirmative. She then guided me to lie down again as she tried to lull me to sleep.

 

“I’m fine now Taeyeon, you can go to your bed and sleep.”

 

“I’m just going to stay here until you fall asleep.”

 

“Then at least lie on the bed beside me. It’s uncomfortable on the floor.”

 

“Just try and sleep. I’ll be right here.”

 

I looked at her, pensive at the idea of letting her stay on the floor, but did not have the energy to argue.

 

I felt warmth in my heart I haven't felt ever since I left my first love, my second boyfriend, who walked me through the whole incident until he couldn't find it in himself to work out our relationship. I knew that I have developed a crush on Taeyeon with her cool demeanor but caring personality in this one month of getting to know each other. Does she feel the same attraction towards me? Hopefully she does.

 

Taeyeon's POV:

 

The next day we caught the early flight so we rushed for our afternoon class straight from the airport. After her anxiety attack last night, Tiffany slept through the night, which I'm thankful for as she really needed it. She was back to her cheerful bubbly self as she spread positivity to the whole team, who were feeling tired from all the travelling. As I observed how she was being her usual social butterfly self in class a smile spread across my face, seeing her energetic once again. However when I thought about her hurt expressions when her nightmares strike it hurts my heart.

 

Once she was done socializing she settled in the seat next to me preparing for the next class when she realized I was staring at her.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, are you alright? Why are you staring at me like that? Is there something on my face?”

 

“No, I was just spacing out Tiffany. Don't worry you look great.”

 

She frowned when she heard that I was spacing out because I don't do it very often. She came closer to me and put the back of her palm against my forehead, earning a confused look from me as I felt my heartbeat start racing.

 

“Your temperature is normal though, you don't have a fever, but you're turning red though. Are you sure you're alright? Or is it that you're tired from the travelling?”

 

I let out a small smile as I heard her concern, feeling butterflies flutter in my stomach. I reached for her hand and started playing with her fingers.

 

“I'm fine Tiffany. Really. Do you want to go out for dinner after class before we continue working on the project or call for delivery?”

 

“Ooohhhh I want to eat fried chicken! Can we? Pweaaasseee?”

 

Oh my god her aegyo is so cute! How am I going to say no to those puppy eyes?! Not that I'm going to anyway.

 

“Okay, will place a delivery order later.”

 

“YAY! You're the best!” She flashed her signature eye smile at me and I felt my heart skip another beat. What's up with my heart? Am I falling for her?

 

A few minutes later our lecturer came in and class started, but I couldn't concentrate and continued playing with Tiffany's fingers. Her fingers are so slim. It's like perfect proportions for hand models. I took out one of the motivational rings I was wearing and put it on her ring finger and it was too big! Why is she so skinny? Is she even eating enough? But she eats a lot of junk food when we are together though. Hmm… I moved the ring to her middle finger and it fitted better, although it was still a little too big.

 

I snapped out of my reverie when the lecturer instructed me and Tiffany to take notes of our assignments and what is needed to take note for the next class.

 

After class I called for the delivery and picked it up. I did realise that after last night she was more clingy to me as she will interlink our arms as we walk and I didn't mind. We settled down at our usual study spot and Tiffany excitedly set up the food, starting with mine. It was only after she made sure I'm good to start eating before she started eating herself. I looked at her with loving eyes, thanking her silently for her sweet gestures which she returned with a bright smile.

 

After we ate, she went to the washroom and came back with my ring, washed clean, returning it to me.

 

“Keep it for me. I have one more anyway.”

 

She looked at me weirdly but I didn't bother and went to the washroom to wash my hands. At the end of the day, I drove her home as I have done for the past few weeks.

 

“Let's take a walk in the park? It's earlier than the other days. If you don't mind.” Tiffany suggested.

 

“Sure.”

 

Tiffany's POV:

 

I suggested a walk in the park because I have so many questions in my head. And of course because I want to spend more time with her. We walked in comfortable silence for a while before we took a seat at one of the benches. I faced forwards, not wanting to look at her as I started to clarify my questions.

 

“Taeyeon… Is there any particular reason why you're passing your ring to me?” There was a slight pause before she shrugged.

 

“I wanted to encourage you. The engravings I have done on the ring is endure. It has kept me going through my bad days as I told myself to endure everything that goes on and keep going for my goals. I hope it can bring you that kind of drive as well.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Would you be comfortable on sharing what happened exactly that time?”

 

Knowing that she meant that incident, I told her that it was a long story and maybe we should leave it for next time.

 

“Just know that I am always here for you alright?” Taeyeon said while looking at me affectionately. Am I getting the right signals from her?

 

“Why? Why are you willing to always be there for me?”

 

“Because I like you. I've liked you for a while now even though I don't know when I've started.” I was surprised and I looked at her, only to find her facing forward and not looking at me.

 

“I like you too.” Oh my god we confessed to one another! KYAAAA! I felt the blush flushing onto my face as I said that as I squealed inwardly with excitement.

 

“Will you be my girlfriend? I want to be there to protect you when you're fragile and I want to always be there for you when you need someone. I want to be the one to share your happiness and your hardships. Will you let me do that for you, Tiffany?” Taeyeon finally turned to look at me as she held my hand and asked me the question I was hoping she will ask.

 

“Yes. Please take care of me.” We exchanged warm smiles and I knew that it was the start of something amazing.