The Beginnings

Reminisce

*January 2014*

 

Tiffany’s POV:

It’s the start of the new school year. It was a rough and busy year last year because I was selected as class rep. I did not make many close friends because I was busy enjoying my time at an old friend, Sooyoung’s cafe during all my free time, not leaving any for socializing. For those project work in teams last year I did not see eye to eye with my teammates most of the time therefore I just did not bother to strengthen relationships further than acquaintances.

Except for 1.

My Best Friend in college. Seohyun.

She was more mature than the rest of our classmates, which makes it easier for me to hang out with. She had her own circle of friends from other classes as well based on her interests and stuff, but she was always encouraging me throughout our first college year together since we got posted to work as a team in one of the projects.

I entered the classroom and immediately went to greet Seohyun as we caught up on how we spent our vacation, with me obviously spending most of my time at Sooyoung’s cafe. When our homeroom teacher, Ms Kim Hyoyeon, came in, I found a corner of the classroom to sit down, hopefully to not get attention anymore to start off a quiet new school year. Just as Ms Kim was about to start, a girl walked into the classroom and took the closest seat to the door so as to not interrupt the class.

I tried to recall what her name was. Oh yeah, Kim Taeyeon. She was another loner in class that always sat on the direct opposite corner of the class from me. I remember I noticed her because she looked really outstandingly hot during our final business proposal presentation last semester. We also had a small case of flirting when she asked me for a HD copy of our class photo. I do think that she is an interesting character. However, life has already been dramatic enough for me and I aim to have a simple life this year.

 

 

Taeyeon’s POV:

I was a little late for class because I came from my part time work. I did not come from a very well off family and therefore I'm working part-time while studying to support my school fees and expenses.

“So class, we need to choose 2 class representatives to help out with some admin stuff and the teachers because I will not be teaching in any of your classes except homeroom. Let's have a guy and a girl. Any volunteers?”

I caught Ms Kim’s gaze on me as she said that, probably because I was late. It was awkward for me and I decided to volunteer myself for the role of the female class rep. I heard a sigh of relief from the back of the class and turned back, finding Tiffany, our class representative from last year, spacing out. I guess the sigh of relief came from her. I at least remembered her, because it seemed to the class that she was the only class rep last year, her guy counterpart not contributing to help her at all. Well to leave an impression on my mind is impressive on its own, since I'm pretty much occupied with earning money and getting good grades, I don't even remember most of the names of my classmates.

But as expected, the guys in our class are like cowards, none of them wanting to take up extra responsibilities. Just then, an idea popped into my head.

“Hey Tiffany, come on, take the other position and join me!” When I said that, I realised how weirdly Ms Kim was looking at me and how the whole male population in class just looked relieved.

“Huh? I'm not even a guy. Come on any guy just man up and take the job?” Tiffany replied while looking around the class, clearly annoyed that the guys are all cowards.

Her counterpart from last year just pretended he didn't hear anything and looked at his class schedule, and no other person made a sound.

“How about let's not rely on the guys. If Tiffany can take up the job is it alright? She did a great job last year.” I asked, directing it to Ms Kim. The whole class made murmurs of agreement to Tiffany's efforts last year and Ms Kim tried again to recruit a guy.

“Any male volunteers, please?” Ms Kim was once again ignored.

“Come on Tiffany, join me!” I continued to try my luck.

“If you would pay for my change surgery I might consider.”

Oh this is getting interesting. It's not a straight no anymore.

The teasing between me and Tiffany went on for a while until Ms Kim sighed and cut us off.

“Ms Hwang, if it is alright with you please take up the position, since none of the guys are willing to.”

I internally cheered in victory as I knew I had a reliable partner for the rest of the year. I turned over to her and saw that her jaw dropped in surprise before she collected herself and nodded in agreement, defeated.

I was excited. This is going to be an interesting year. It was a crucial bridging year that builds the foundation for our final year next year so I decided to focus on my studies more rather than work since I've saved enough to survive these 2 years with the help of loans. With this extra responsibility and a new partner, I'm sure we’ll help each other through until we get our degrees.

Tiffany Hwang, I'm looking forward to working with you.

Kim Taeyeon fighting!