One

Over Time

Min yoongi has always thought of Park Chaeyoung as a troublesome girl. When Taehyung had first brought her to Namjoon’s game room, their usual hangout place one day back when they were in middle school, he got pissed off at Taehyung for bringing a girl on in their ‘all guys’ routine. It turned out that she was Taehyung’s neighbor and close friend, and her parents had been on a business trip overnight, so she was hanging around at Taehyung’s house when the guys called him for their usual meet up. Taehyung hadn’t hesitated a bit in bringing her to their hangout place, but then again Taehyung had always been a little..insensible. He just said “She’s okay hyung. She can hang out with us.” to ease the tension in the guys eyes when they first spotted her descending down the stairs to the game room.

 

There are three worst things for middle shool boys: long uniform pants on summer, curfews, and pubescent girls.

 

At first Yoongi had thought they would mellow down their activities a bit, given that they had a ‘handicap’. Maybe lay off the basketball game and opt for a Nintendo match instead,  and have her watch them play. He was a bit disgruntled as he was always looking forward to basketball Wednesday, but then he ought to be considerate to the girl as basic courtesy.  But then he noticed the way her face lightened up when Hoseok started to usher them out to head to the nearby park.

 

When they had reached the park, she had enthusiastically asked to be let in on the game. Honestly, Yoongi was confused as to how chill the rest of the crew are towards this unusual intruder, but maybe that was due to the fact that Chaeyoung was quite an attractive girl (he had definitely caught the way Jungkook had been stealing glances at her). Yoongi was usually quiet and not one to complain, but someone had to play the bad cop and tell her that she probably could not keep up with their game, and he could tell by his other friends’ smitten expression everytime Chaeyoung’s light, airy voice chirped up, that he had to be it. His protest died down in his throat when Taehyung had coolly called “ Okay. you can be on my team”.  The rest of the team was taken aback, but had no say against it, and if he vetoed, he would be the only one to do so and that would be weird. So he grumbled quietly under his breath and tried to reason in his head that they’re odd-numbered anyway.

 

Halfway through the game later, breath out in short pants and sweating bullets, Yoongi realized that Chaeyoung don’t really need the guys to take it easy on her. Yoongi had taken it to himself to personally guard the girl, resulting to his sides hurting from circling around the field too much. Chaeyoung sure pack a mean dribble. No wonder Taehyung wanted her on his team, he wasn’t making a sacrifice, he was taking advantage. She hadn’t shoot too much, mainly stick to her role to assist, taking merit to her lithe, agile body. But Yoongi’s team doesn’t gain too much either, for their shooting guard (himself) had adamantly sticked to Chaeyoung’s side instead of trying to scour points. Yoongi’s team won in the end, by a slight. Yoongi had thought Chaeyoung wouldn’t take the loss easily, and resisted the urge to boast to the opposing team as they had usually did, but he could tell by her bright grin and easy expression as her teammates gave her high fives and fawned over her, that she wasn’t the type of a sour loser. It was at that time he had finally decided that maybe, she wasn’t too bad after all. Still troublesome, but pretty cool in general.

After letting that thought settle into his mind, as they lounge around the basketball field to dry their sweaty shirts and  bask in the sunset light,  he thought maybe, now that he’s cool with her, she wouldn’t occupy his mind that much, also, given the fact that it was probably the only time they would be hanging out together. Although, he could not help feeling a little pity at the latter thought.